Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well it all depends on person's weight before pregnancy, PMary is pretty skinny, so now she looks really ok after only two months, same case with PLetizia, but for a bit fuller ones like PMathilde & PMaxima, it does take them a bit longer;)

Just me, or does it seem like Caroline Herring was wearing a dress that was modeled on Mary's dress? Look at the darts in the front; the bodice is a little different, but both are chiffon with half sleeves.

Hmmm. Makes you wonder if Caroline's dress was a prototype for Mary's?

Either way, I liked Caroline's dress probably a little more than Mary's; the crown like hat reminded me of the Queen Ingrid parure, only in gray. Caroline is quite a fox in her own right.

Let's move on from the subject of baby weight, comparing princesses' weight, and whether or not they are heavier than whomever.

Thank you.

I don't think that you can call her looks terrible. She is well-groomed, keeps her figure - and has obviously decided that fashion is not for her - so she has chosen quite her own style :)

I do so agree with you, Userdane.

The Queen is an example to us all. She is confident in herself enough to project her own sense of self beyond the constraints of Monarchy. Many women do not have the personal courage to rise above the norm in their ordinary lives, much less in a life as cirumscribed as hers.

The Queen of Denmark represents to me intelligence, artistry and flair, and I so admire her for it. As much as I value and applaud the Queen of Australia for her goodness, kindness and dignity, I have often wished that we sometimes could glimpse the light-hearted and personally charming parts of her personality which we've always been assured that she possesses.

The Queen of Denmark won many admirers in Australia when we watched Mary and Frederik's wedding on televison. We saw her walk in on her husband's arm; she kissed both of her sons; she shed a tear......none of us had ever seen such a common human touch from our beloved monarch - not ever.

None of this is meant as a criticism of our Queen. It's just that, in my opinion, it would be heartwarming to see her sensitive side, from time to time.

I'm really, now, a huge fan of the Queen of Denmark. If she wore a potato sack I 'd still think her elegant and beautiful.

The Queen of Denmark won many admirers in Australia when we watched Mary and Frederik's wedding on televison. We saw her walk in on her husband's arm; she kissed both of her sons; she shed a tear......none of us had ever seen such a common human touch from our beloved monarch - not ever.

Then you must not have seen the Queen Elizabeth II get a look of her grandson Harry during her review of the Sandringham graduates last year. HM grinned broadly and said in a beaming voice, "Now THERE'S a face I recognize!" and Harry smiled shyly while turning a beet red as if to say, 'Oh, Granny'! I thought it was a priceless grandmother/grandson moment.

I agree with you about Margrethe. I find her one of the most interesting and fascinating monarchs today with her artistic passions and her finely tuned intellect. Her clothing choices remind me of what women wore to church when I was a small girl. The outfits were very dressy but not in a sleek, modern way, more in a very feminine mode with curvy lines, bold patterns and lots of bright colors.

It was an era when women enjoyed looking like women and they didn't mind if they carried a few pounds. I find Margrethe's total package to be wonderfully refreshing, fun, and very feminine in a way that the younger women with their sleek minimalistic styles don't quite achieve.

Then you must not have seen the Queen Elizabeth II get a look of her grandson Harry during her review of the Sandringham graduates last year. HM grinned broadly and said in a beaming voice, "Now THERE'S a face I recognize!" and Harry smiled shyly while turning a beet red as if to say, 'Oh, Granny'! I thought it was a priceless grandmother/grandson moment

And so did I Ysbel, so did I. And boo-sucks to those cynics who insist that Harry's not QE's grandson. Such arrant nonsense!

I meant that our Queen has, reportedly, been so repressed by what's thought acceptable in a C19 system of English values, that we, in her other realms, never see her at what we know is her most engaging self.

Her Majesty of Denmark was an eye-opener to me. I see her as something of a feminist icon: that is, she is strong, confident and comfortable in her sense of self. I think that Margrethe is one of the most admirable women on the planet. Ordinary women, everywhere, can glean courage from her independent example and try to emulate her poise and determination. And she a queen! not a popstar! I think her special and Denmark very lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I did not fancy Mary's dress and the hairpiece, there is something about this family that makes me like them a lot: They seem to be happy and an item, very relaxed and not being pressured by anything. I love the fact that on the one hand they are able to come along so likable and normal, especially when interacting with Christian, and on the other hand they have a very regal appearance (at least Mary ;)) ... and I love the name Isabella, great choice!

And so did I Ysbel, so did I. And boo-sucks to those cynics who insist that Harry's not QE's grandson. Such arrant nonsense!

I meant that our Queen has, reportedly, been so repressed by what's thought acceptable in a C19 system of English values, that we, in her other realms, never see her at what we know is her most engaging self.

Her Majesty of Denmark was an eye-opener to me. I see her as something of a feminist icon: that is, she is strong, confident and comfortable in her sense of self. I think that Margrethe is one of the most admirable women on the planet. Ordinary women, everywhere, can glean courage from her independent example and try to emulate her poise and determination. And she a queen! not a popstar! I think her special and Denmark very lucky.

It's true Polly, Queen Elizabeth rarely shows emotion. :flowers:
I too think that Denmarks Queen and indeed Spain's show a more motherly, grandmotherly side. I can picture them sitting on the floor having having a tea party, blowing bubbles around the bathroom and reading bedtime stories to the children in the family. I just can't picture QEII doing that. Perhaps she does in private, I don't know.
Queen's Margrethe and Sofia seem to be more relaxed and in touch with the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I did not fancy Mary's dress and the hairpiece, there is something about this family that makes me like them a lot: They seem to be happy and an item, very relaxed and not being pressured by anything. I love the fact that on the one hand they are able to come along so likable and normal, especially when interacting with Christian, and on the other hand they have a very regal appearance (at least Mary ;)) ... and I love the name Isabella, great choice!

I agree with you on the happy family, they are very sweet together. The dress was fine, but I love her hairpiece and I think it was a lovely sentimental gesture to wear it again. It's also very feminine:)

Isabelle is a sweet name, even better than Charlotte which I initially liked most! And Christian of course was as cute as ever!

Last edited:
I haven't said that Mary is fat, I have said in many occasions that she is now thin for a two months mother, but this dress doesn't flatter her maybe this is a more correct word!

My pleasure:flowers:

There are plenty more articles for me to translate about the christening, but give me a minute or so to complete them all.

:)

A new article from B.T.

A kiss for Denmark's new princess.

Big brother is pleased that there is 'nysser' little sister at the official portrait shoot from Isabella's christening. Prince Christian leaned himself over carefully to kiss his little sister's cheek. There's no doubt about it that they are a fortunate family four, there were between them after herself [?] christening at Fredenborgs chapel. This is the first official portraits taken by court photographer, Steen Brogaard.

There is an 18 months difference between Prince Christian and Princess Isabella and the little difference in age can [perhaps led or one day] be each other best friends. This has been recognized by børnelæge [pediatrician] Vibeke Manniche when he spoke to to B.T., "With this 18 month's variation the babies will have a lot in common and interests such as scholl, friends, books, music, and so forth."

Mary and Frederik are often by themselves during their official travels and duties representing Denmark vil that too være safely a one thins is for certain, they have each other.

Click the above link to see the photos that accompanies the article. Or if you would like, here is another photos series and a new short video clip.

Enjoy.:flowers:

I love the name Isabella, my daugther name's is Isabela
But I didn't like Mary dress

Isabella is such a beautiful name. I think it fits her.

This little baby is beatiful. Honestly, when she was born, I believed that his brother should be more beatiful than her, but it was only that she was too little. Very few little children are beatiful since they birth...They need a little time to become the plum little babies we all loves. :D

Vanesa.

and one from ANP
Picture 3

That's a great shot - right down the front of Mary's dress!:ohmy::argh::blush:

I like her dress, and I like that she wore the same hat that she wore to her son's christening. But no major jewelry gift for a girl baby?!

Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I am very interested to see if there are any closeups of Mary's new pink sapphire and diamond necklace and her new diamond ring.

So there was jewelry given! I like this tradition much better than my family's red rose tradition. Maybe I'll start a new one and do both......Wait - that would involve getting pregnant and going thru labor & delivery. Hmmmmm.....have to think carefully about this.:ROFLMAO:

Is Princess Alexia of Greece pregnant again or is she carrying around excess baby weight from her last pregnancy?
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
Why, oh why is Alexia of Greece wearing the same dress that Infanta Cristina took to her own wedding?... Please, tell me she and Carlos are not bankrupt... cause I can't see any other explanation for this...Why borrowing a dress from your cousin? And why the exact same dress your cousin wore at another royal gathering?

On the one hand, I applaud her for this. Why drop $ on a designer dress for a special occassion when you're only wearing it for a short time? I know people who borrow for occassions like this. Of course it works much better if everyone is the same size. On the other hand, isn't there a dress in the closet that's a little less high-profile? Surely after 4? kids she'd have a maternity dress suitable for church?

And I like the idea of a pool party afterward! A pool party full of royals, possibly cutting loose, sounds like tons o' fun!

Last edited:
Question: a monogram for princess Isabella?

Now that little princess Isabella has her own page on the Danish Court web pages, when will she receive her own monogram? I don't remember when Christian got his but I expect that the Queen already has designed one or atleast is working on it. ;)

There was a monogram on the cover of the service program - I wonder if that was hers.

Now that little princess Isabella has her own page on the Danish Court web pages, when will she receive her own monogram? I don't remember when Christian got his but I expect that the Queen already has designed one or atleast is working on it. ;)

I can't wait to see it. The Queen is very artistic!

Isabella! Quite an odd name in Denmark!!! Never thought of it. I would have liked more Elisabet, it is more Danish name. I think, I have to get used to it,but it will take some time, I guess...

It's been nice to read and see Isabella's Christening. I couldn't wait to find out the chosen name for Frederik and Mary's baby. I love it. I love it all. I like the sound Henrietta Margarethe Ingrid Isabella. Truly I'm pleased with the name. If there's anything I could say is that this family looks great and it was kind of them to invite us into their ceremony of Isabella. The event and naming was special to me and I wish them a continued joy as the royals of Denmark. Christian is so cute. Cheers to them.

I like the name Isabella but not for a Princess of Denmark.

I don't like Mary's headpiece.

Alexia is not wearing Cristinass outfit but one that looks a lot like it.

I like the name Isabella but not for a Princess of Denmark.

Not for a Princess of Denmark? :ermm:

I would have liked more Elisabet

When 'you' already have Princess Elisabeth of Denmark, Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain...would have been a bit much!

I don't like the name either. That is, I do like it, but not for a Princess of Denmark. I was hoping for a cool Danish name like Dagmar or even a standard issue princess name like Alexandra (guess they wouldn't have used that one). I don't think the name Isabella goes well with the name Christian and it's jarringly un-Danish. I'm afraid my first thought everytime I read about the new princess will be "too bad about the name."

Also, the nicknames for Isabella are horrendous--someone mentioned Izzy and Bella--yuk!

I don't think the name Isabella goes well with the name Christian and it's jarringly un-Danish. I'm afraid my first thought everytime I read about the new princess will be "too bad about the name."

Also, the nicknames for Isabella are horrendous--someone mentioned Izzy and Bella--yuk!

The children's names were not chosen so as to compliment the other and neither should they be. It's not a historical Danish name, but then again her heritage isn't 'entirely' Danish is it? Though, Isabella is the 21st most popular name for girls in Denmark I believe and there was a great deal of influence from 'the' family tree.

It is such a pretty name, feminine and charming..and I can't see what's so "horrendous" about being nicknamed 'Bella'. I'm sure this little lady shall grow to be a very beautiful woman.

Last edited:
Lots of things to talk about...well firstly the name, I kind of half-expected it from Mary being an ex-Sydneysider, likes to be in on trends and such...Isabella is a very "Sydney" name to me...I would have preferred *Arabella* (Arabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe)...It sounds slightly more exotic and fitting to Danish culture (?)...But I sure I will get used to it...

All the Isabella's I know think they are princesses anyway so "Princess Isabella" to me is a kind of a cliche for a demanding little girl...Good luck to Mary and Frederik with that one!!! ;) for making you Isabella an "official" princess...

As for the outfits of the ladies...only one comment to make, Susan Donaldson must have got a stylist this time, her outfit was very appropriate and elegant...I distinctly remember at Christian's christening she wore some garish red and black outfit and (shock horror) black pantyhose with red shoes!!!! Much better this time around Mrs. Donaldson :)

Ugh...No "Arabella" was the title of a sad, sad, Italian soap opera I used to see when a teen.

And yes, I agree. They would have christened the girl with a Danish name. The fact her mother is (or was) Australian could not be important. Almost always, in the Royal couples, one of them was foreign, but this was not a pretext to name the Royal children with names of another root than the one of the adopted country of the father or the mother. For example: Alix of Hesse was of German origine, with a British breed (her grandmother was Queen Victoria), and married a Nicholas, the Tsar of all the Russias. Well, their children were named: Olga, Tatiana, María, Anastasia and Alexei...All four names were Russian. Princess Dagmar was Danish, but after marrying the Tsar Alexander III all her children wore Russian names: Nicholas, Georgy, Xenia, Olga and Mikhail..and so on...Of course, we can christen the children with names of another culture inspiration, but the translation must be from the country his father/mother is ruling and in which they were also born: for example, Queen Sofía of Spain christened her elder girl as Elena (who is the perfect translation of "from Greece") , but it is a name very common in most of European countries , and the other two children were named as Cristina and Felipe, very common also in Spanish nobility.

And the examples could go, and go...

Vanesa.

Are people forgetting the name Isabella is, as is the case with hundreds of names, now part of the Danish culture? It was even the name of a Danish Queen (though known as Elisabeth).

There is no set pretext which stipulates a royal child must be given a name in accordance to the popular, more traditional, majority. It is only ever expected.

Having been named Isabella, makes her no less a HRH, or a Princess of the Kingdom of Denmark or third in line to the throne (at this point in time). It is quite simply, her name.

No doubt (and is clearly the case) many see it as rather unorthodox, though no less unorthodox than being named Zara.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom