Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must say - I'm surprised by the names, but Josephine is beautiful and I like Vincent too. Ivalo and Minik associate me with Celts, interesting choice and very nice gesture to Greenland.
Whole ceremony was nice to watch, the church is beautiful, hymns as always well sung. CP family is really big, 4 kids to looking after, hard work for Mary and Frederik.

im upset. i saw all the galleries you guys posted in here, but so far i didnt see the close up of the twins faces:sad:

A gallery from Billed Bladet: Billed-Bladet - Billeder: Christian og Isabella ved døbefonten

And an article about the christening gowns: Billed-Bladet - Læs historien bag tvillingernes dåbskjoler
Perhaps someone will be kind enough and explain in more details to our Danish-challenged friends? :)

The speech by Erik Normann Svendsen: Billed-Bladet - Læs hele biskop Erik Norman Svendsens dåbstale

The flower arrangement in the church: Billed-Bladet - Sådan er blomsterudsmyk-ningen i Holmens Kirke

What a beautiful day for the family. Thanks to all who posted pictures and information about the ceremony.

Is there a video of the entire ceremony? The YouTube video is great but it's only about 10 minutes.

What others royals were present? Besides the Danish royals? Any of the Swedish or Norwegian royals attend?

That's kind of the meat of the whole ceremony. I watched the whole thing (well, as much as I could with the links dying on me) and there's quite a bit of singing and prayers. I saw Greek royals but no Swedish or Norwegian.

A gallery of M&F posing in front of Amalienborg: De kongelige tvillinger på tur | www.bt.dk
- And as always the PET officers are among the most well dressed gentlemen present.

Apparantly noone can figure out exactly what Minik and Ivalo means.
Vild uenighed om grønlandsk betydning - Royale - BT.dk

Minik can among many things apparantly mean: blubber, ear wax, little man, the-one-who-is-thirsty-for-breast-milk and there'll probably be more...

Ivalo can among just as many things mean: little sister, butterfly, sinew, little wave, thread to sew with aaand more to come....

Last edited:
The Christening Speech

For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God through Faith. As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Gal. 3, 26-27. (New Revised Standard Version)

Dearly Beloved!

Twice before we have seen this: The Crown Prince and Crown Princess appearing at the main entrance of Copenhagen University Hospital ready to bring the newborn home. This time each with a newborn in their arms, patiently, friendly commenting and letting everyone get a glimpse of the babies: Yes, the two sleeping little ones are lovely to look at and the parents are radiant with joy and pride. “It is so special having two all at once. I was greatly moved” the Crown Princess said. She was not alone in this.

Today Father and Mother bring their twins to be baptised with big brother Prince Christian and big sister Princess Isabella, with the entire royal family and friends in attendance. And even if the baptismal service may seem a private occasion, most of the Danish population is watching. In Denmark we follow the royal family almost as if it were our own family, and thus we have rejoiced in the birth of the twins and looked forward to watch the baptism service today. In a way we are all invited to the party.

On this occasion the royal baptism is in Holmen’s Church which is also the Navy’s church with grand traditions. But it is also the church in which Crown Prince Frederik almost 43 years ago was baptised in the arms of his mother, the then Princess Margrethe, who was herself baptised in this church; and in the same baptismal font which has been used for every royal baptism since 1671, whether the baptism took place at the castle or in the church.

However, it is not just the font which is the same; the baptism is also the same, wherever or whenever it takes place. We are baptised in the name of Jesus to belong to him in life and death, and we are at the same time received into the Christian church. In baptism we are visibly and audibly called the children of God and we are given Jesus as our brother and saviour. The New Testament calls it a rebirth. Not to be understood in a biological sense, but in a spiritual sense. In baptism we are reborn by water and the Holy Spirit.

The twins were born at Copenhagen University Hospital on the 8th January. But today, on the 14th April, they are reborn in their baptism in Holmen’s Church. The first birth is a natural event, while the rebirth is a holy ceremony. This is why baptism normally takes place in church. In baptism it is God who acts by making us his children. Thus we are given a new identity and we understand our life in a new way. We are still our parents’ children, but we are also God’s children.

Every child has an identity from his or her biological parents, for better or for worse. This identity is recognised in looks, gestures and manners. “He is like his father” or “she is like her mother” we say, when a child is born. Or: “Whom do they most resemble?”

When they grow up they can recognise part of their parents in themselves.

But we also get an identity from God. It is given us freely in baptism and is manifest when we live on the words and promises from Jesus trusting the baptism.

We are all born into a life of good times and difficult times, sorrow and joy, since we are all mortal. These are the equal terms of our existence. But in baptism we are reborn to the life we will never loose, life everlasting. That is the enormous perspective of baptism.

Baptism is much more than a naming ceremony. It is God’s promise of community with him forever, also in death. We are reborn into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. This hope fills us with life and hopefulness, giving us strength to use our lives according to God’s will: Fighting evil and destruction in all its forms, and living in kindness with our neighbour. Hope gives us the courage to face even death without despair.

Our lives may take very different forms and apparently also most randomly. “We only know two harbours by name, one our cradle the other our grave”, sings Ambrosius Stub in his song about life as a sea voyage.

Baptism confirms that we are in God’s hands during our voyage through life.

Baptism is the sign for our whole life and revives us every time we remember that we can call ourselves children of God.

Baptism is a daily source for faith, hope and love. “In baptism’s bowl/ your hearth and your soul/ may rest in the hope of salvation” (translation Edward Broadbridge) sings Grundtvig and we with him.

In prose: Baptism stays with us forever. Whether our life’s voyage is short or long, easy or difficult, happy or unhappy the promise from Jesus given in baptism is for every one of us: “And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Most Danish churches have a church ship hanging from the ceiling. Here in Holmen’s Church it is, of course, a model of an admiral’s ship, Niels Juel’s Christianus Quintus (Christian the Fifth). The church ship reminds us of Noah’s Ark saving mankind from the waters of the Great Flood, as well as of the boat on Lake Genezareth from which Jesus once preached. But “the ship” (nave) is also the name of the part of the church building where the congregation sits and listens to God’s word and answers in prayer and hymns. On board the church ship we are travelling across the sea of Life with the Son of God. Here he takes care of us and confirms that we belong to him in life and death.

Amen.

The Christening Robes

The christening robe worn by the little Prince
The christening robe was made for the christening of Prince Christian, later to become Christian X, in Christiansborg Palace Chapel in 1870. The christening robe was made of Brussels lace, which the mother of Christian X, Queen Lovisa, had bought in Belgium. The special feature of this delicate, very costly lace is that it can be produced in very large pieces and not just as relatively narrow strips: the individual, decorative lace motifs are made separately and subsequently appliquéd to the large, simple ground of lace.

The lower edge of the christening robe carries little scallops, and the bottom border is covered in tiny flowers and leaves. The rest of the lace features small flowers sprinkled more sparsely. The bodice is a yoke made of the densely-patterned, scalloped lace. The ribbon to be tied around the waist and the ribbons at the neck and the puff sleeves are of egg-shell coloured silk, as is the petticoat of the christening robe.

The bonnet
The christening bonnet features a more densely patterned lace than the christening robe, with slightly larger motifs. They consist of leaves, flowers and vines interspersed with decorative fancy stitches. The shape of the bonnet is made up of broad lace bands that are gathered into a closed crown at the back of the neck. A plain satin ribbon along the lower edge of the bonnet is used to tie it under the chin.

Together with the christening robe there are a train, a silk ribbon to be tied around the waist, a cushion case, a bib as well as a fine organza apron.
The following Royal Children have been baptised in this christening robe: Christian X, Prince Carl (from 1905 King Haakon VII of Norway), Prince Harald, Prince Gustav, Princess Louise, Princess Thyra, Princess Dagmar, Frederik IX, Prince Knud (Heir Presumptive to the Throne), Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie, Princess Elisabeth, Count Ingolf of Rosenborg, Count Christian of Rosenborg, Crown Prince Frederik, Prince Joachim, Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.

The christening robe worn by the little Princess
The christening robe and the bonnet belonged to Queen Ingrid. They were discovered by Her Majesty Queen Margrethe during a review of objects which had been packed away since the death of Queen Ingrid.It is unrecorded how it came into the possession of Queen Ingrid. It is assumed that the christening robe was presented to Queen Ingrid as a gift on the occasion of the birth of Princess Margrethe. This view is shared by a textile conservator at Rosenborg Castle, who dates the textiles, lace and fine needlework of the christening robe to the year 1940. The robe has never been used before.

The christening robe is made of white cotton batiste with horizontal rows of lace insertions on the entire front of the robe. The lace insertions are separated from each other by rows of tiny pleats, known as pin tucks, made in the fabric of the robe.
For the christening of the twins, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess have had minor changes made to the robe. Among other things, delicate old lace from Her Majesty The Queen’s personal collection has been used for the matching new petticoat and top fabric of the lower part of the robe.

The bonnet
The bonnet and the christening robe do not belong together. The cut of the bonnet is simple and made of very delicate, almost transparent material. It may be a matter of what is known as "nældedug", originally produced from nettles.

The lace on the bonnet is Tønder lace: a broad Danmarks Store Hjerte (Big Heart of Denmark) is used as a lace insertion with straight sides, which is considered unusual. Along the edge of the bonnet, there is a narrow lace trim, a narrow Danmarks Lille Hjerte (Little Heart of Denmark). Queen Alexandrine was presented with Danmarks Store Hjerte as a gift on the occasion of the reunion of North Slesvig with Denmark in 1920. Subsequently, this lace was used on the train of Her Majesty The Queen’s wedding gown at the wedding in 1967. The same kind of lace was used most recently by Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary at the wedding in 2004. The Crown Princess’s handkerchief was trimmed with lace made especially for the occasion.

The Christening Ceremony

The Chaplain Royal, bishop Erik Norman Svendsen, will
conduct the christening ceremony.

Participants:
The Choir of Holmens Church, conducted by organist and
precentor Jakob Lorentzen.

The Copenhagen Royal Chapel Choir, conducted by the
cathedral precentor Ebbe Munk.

Organist: Jakob Lorentzen and Erik Kolind.

Harp: Hellen Davies Mikkelborg.

While the guests take their places in the church, the two
choirs will sing danish songs and hymns.

As Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the
Prince Consort enter the church, Grayston Ives: »Intrada«
will be performed.

As Their Royal Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown
Princess enter the church, both choirs will sing:
Povl Schierbeck/ H.C.Andersen »I Danmark er jeg født,
dér har jeg hjemme« (Arr. J.Lorentzen).

BAPTISM
PRAISE AND PRAYER
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who according to His great mercy has born us anew to a
living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead.

Let us pray:
We thank You, Heavenly Father,
that through Your only begotten Son,
You have given this Holy Baptism
in which You make us your children
and give us the Holy Spirit
with the forgiveness of sins and eternal life.
We beseech You graciously
to receive these children whom we bring before You:
Make them members of Your church
and keep them in communion with You now and forever.
Amen.

READINGS
Our Lord Jesus Christ says: All authority in heaven and on
earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples
of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: Teaching
them to observe all that I have commanded you: and behold,
I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
And in the gospel according to Mark we read:
And they were bringing children to him that he might
touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when
Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, »Let the
children come to me, do not hinder them, for to such belongs
the Kingdom of God.

Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of
God like a child shall not enter it.« And He took them in
His arms, put His hands upon them and blessed them.
Let us therefore help these children to receive God’s blessing
by baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son,
and the Holy Spirit.

SIGN OF THE CROSS
Receive the sign of the Holy Cross upon your brow and
upon your chest, as a testimony that you shall belong to the
crucified Lord Jesus Christ.
What is the name of the child? - N.

THE CREED
N., Do you renounce the devil and all his works and all his
ways? – I do!
Do you believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven
and earth? – I do!
Do you believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin
Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died,
and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day
He rose again. He ascended into heaven. He is seated at
the right hand of the Father, and He will come to judge the
living and the dead? – I do!
Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Christian
Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting? – I do!
Will you be baptized in this faith? – I will!

BAPTISM
N., I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
The Almighty God, the father of our Lord Jesus Christ, has
now granted you rebirth by water and the Holy Spirit and
has bestowed upon you the remission of sins, May His grace
strengthen you unto eternal life.
He shall preserve your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forever more. Amen.

THE LORD’S PRAYER
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be Your name,
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those
who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are Yours,
now and forever. Amen
Peace be with you.

INSTRUCTION OF GODPARENTS
You, the parents and godparents of these children, have
now witnessed how they were baptized in the name of the
Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. It is your duty
as parents to bring up your child in the Christian faith and
to pray for them in order that they may remain in Christ,
even as they through baptism have now been grafted into
Him. If the parents die before the child comes of age, it is
the duty of the godparents, as far as they are able, to ensure
that the child learns about the Christian faith.
Peace be with you.

You simply have to watch this!

TV 2 Nyhederne - Live

A number of clips from the day, including M&F posing in front of Amalienborg.
Scroll a bit down the page to the clip where Bella is doing the victory sign with both hands. :cool:

That to me is the best clip of the entire day. :lol:

And a gallery from DR1: Vincent og Josephines dåb i billeder - dr.dk/Nyheder/Billedserier

Hee! She is darling! I loved the clip where the babies are being christened and she pulls the top part of her skirt up:)

I haven't seen so many instances where we see the royals of Denmark. I like coming again to see all of these inherent leaders take opportunity and name and baptize their new born twins. It was nice following the gathering here on this site. Personally I'm tired of reading and I woke up early aswell. I loved the fashion of the Queen arriving and of Mary. I loved the names picked for Vincent and Josephine. They are a calling embedded with intonations that leave me spell bound at hearing them. I simply have to smile and cry at their birth of living forevermore. Play happy and maybe the whole World will laugh. Bless you and cheers in the land. :p You are all so very beautiful.

Last edited:
And a great gallery of Bella and Christian: TV 2 Gallery

Enjoy. :) Gotta pick up Mrs. Muhler.

Princess Isabella really enjoyed being dressed up -she´s one happy camper :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mary's mother in law dress is so...well it misses me the words ;-)))

HMs dress is very.... erm .. blue! I was looking for my sun glasses at a time, because it nearly hurt my eyes! However the Queen likes her pang colours and I doubt that anyone can convince her about the fact that at 71, 'less is more"' !!. She has to stand out in a crowd, but sometimes it's too much for her own good! IMO!

Viv

when are we going to see the official pics of the christening? how was with isabella and christian?

What are the twins names?
I still don't know yet...still trying to catch up:)

I like Josephine, nice choice. But, Vincent surprized me. I don't like it very much.
All the kids of the CP couple are so cute. Lovely family !

fairy tale said:
Maybe this photo can calm you down a bit :flowers:

names:
Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander
Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda

Thanks Fairytale!:flowers:

I LOVE the name Vincent. I've always said if I have a boy I would name him Vincent or Luke. But saying Prince Vincent is weird...it doesn't go together. I'm not sure about Josephine...it's too long of a name and quite old school and eventually people will call her Jo.

I was hoping they would match the names. Like: Vincent and Valentina or Vanessa. Or Josephine and Jacob.

It's funny, little Prince Vincent actually looks like a Vincent! Josephine, I'm not sure. Her name will have to grow on me a little...she looks more like a Mathilda.

I'm slightly disapointed but dont know why in fact. The names are of course very french (and I'm french) but Vincent is not any more used (the Vincents now are 30 years old) and Josephine is an old fashion name but some old fashion are now 'fashion' again in France as Louis, Paul, Capucine, but certainly not Josephine which is really really a grany name (my husband' late grand mother for exemple). I like historic links in names in the case of royal family. It's a pity it's not the case. I understand the french Link because of Frederick's father (Henrik of Monpezat) who is french. I love Isabella's dress, so chic ... but what Christian was wearing. So sad for a little boy. No need to be in grey. And for Mary, she seems a little tired, normal, but this ceremony miss something, dont know what. On another point Mary's shoes didnt fit with the dress, the colour was not good with it, but I really like her hairdo and the flowers. I loved princess tatiana ensemble, and hairdo and flowers. The best dress so far. And for me the thing to remember in this ceremony will be little Henrik on the knees of the big brother. The cutest image of all.

I LOVE the name Vincent. I've always said if I have a boy I would name him Vincent or Luke. But saying Prince Vincent is weird...it doesn't go together. I'm not sure about Josephine...it's too long of a name and quite old school and eventually people will call her Jo.
Certainly not in DK. We don´t shorten the names as you do in the US :flowers:

Isabella looked very pretty in the coral pink dress. Her hair looked very nice as well. She is such a lively little girl. :)

A beautiful, very harmonic family, a beautiful, intimate christening and IMO beautiful names chosen.
Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander just sounds beautiful and in my country Vincent is actually one of those old names which have become popular again. And who knows, perhaps he will take over Henrik's wine castle and then he will have the perfect name to go with it. :)
I would have chosen Elisabeth as the second name of the girl though:
Josefine Elisabeth Ivalo Mathilda, because a) IMO it sounds better b) both children would have a name of their parents (Frederik - Mary Elizabeth) and c) I just don't like Sophia, Sophie yes, but not Sophia (I don't like Isabella too, it seems I am not for Spanish sounding names :))

Thanks to everyone who provided links and information. :flowers:

FasterB said:
Certainly not in DK. We don´t shorten the names as you do in the US :flowers:

Yes we Americans like to say as few syllables as possible:lol:. People in Denmark may not shorten it but I'm pretty sure the press alone will use that nickname...it's only a matter of time before she's mentioned as Princess Jo;)

I've yet to see Isabella and Christian...can somebody post a pic please? I don't have time to go back and read all of the posts.

Last edited:
Bishop Erik Norman Svendsen tells that yesterday at the rehearsel he was given an closed envelope with the names in.

He read them when he was alone and started to learn how to say them.

Yes we Americans like to say as few syllables as possible:lol:. People in Denmark may not shorten it but I'm pretty sure the press alone will use that nickname...it's only a matter of time before she's mentioned as Princess Jo;)

I've yet to see Isabella and Christian...can somebody post a pic please? I don't have time to go back and read all of the posts.
Again - not in the danish press :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom