Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That`s not true, the Danes might not abbreviate, but other Europeans do, a lot. In my country Vincent is called Vincek - not pretty at all. It`s an old-fashioned name.

Josephine is lovely. I don`t like it in my country (again it has ugly abbreviations), but I think it`s perfect for a Scandinavian princess.

My experience, having spent a good deal of my life living abroad on and off, I've noticed that many places in Europe do not abbreviate, or at least, are not as prone as english speaking countries which seem to enjoy abbreviating everything. So it's not that it's not true, it's just you evidently haven't experienced what I have ;)

Last edited:
Caroline Søeborg Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille was in a dress from Lanvin. (She's serious nobility! From no less than four noble families).
Sorry to say, but no she´s not :whistling: She´s just married to Count Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille from Egeskov, who was one of the godparents :flowers:
Caroline was born as Caroline Søeborg Ohlsen.

Link: Caroline Søeborg Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille

Yeah, okay.

But doesn't that make her nobility now? In the same way Mary is now royal? Her children certainly are, I presume.
The Bille line was IIRC, amalgamated with another noble family, whose male bloodline died out in late medieval times. Hence my reference to four noble families.
Her husband and their children are "serious nobles", but she´s not and will never be. She´s noble yes, but in the same way as CPss Mary is royal - (Kronprinsesse AF og ikke TIL). There´s a rankdifference in these two words.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading that on wikipedia somewhere. 'af' signifies the spouse of a royal, while 'til' signifies the person was born into it and is in the line of succession....at least that's my understanding of it. I could be a little bit off...

When a BB reporter shouted to Frederik: "How do you think the children have managed today"? It was Christian who replied: "Very well". (You can actually see that in one of the clips).

Ok, I don't think I've seen that clip but that is awesome. That combined with Isabella giving the reporters the peace sign surely makes this the best royal family walkabout ever.

I remember reading that on wikipedia somewhere. 'af' signifies the spouse of a royal, while 'til' signifies the person was born into it and is in the line of succession....at least that's my understanding of it. I could be a little bit off...

You are absolutely right :) When you are "af" you dont have succession rights while you do if you are "til".

Queen Ingrid was queen "af" Denmark
Isabella is princess "til" Denmark
Princess Marie is princess "af" Denmark
The prince consort is "af" Denmark
Queen Margrethe was actually princess "af" Denmark before 1953 when females didnt have succession rights

If they would have aknowledged every abbrevation in ever country, the babies would still be without a name. :whistling:

You also have to keep in mind, that the names of the children have to be on the national list of approved names.
After seeing a sticker on the back of a car that said "Kyle Rocco", Germany should have such a list, too. :whistling:

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder in that case. At least the really inappropriate names will not be allowed in Germany, like Pumuckel or Winnetou...

My experience, having spent a good deal of my life living abroad on and off, I've noticed that many places in Europe do not abbreviate, or at least, are not as prone as english speaking countries which seem to enjoy abbreviating everything. So it's not that it's not true, it's just you evidently haven't experienced what I have ;)
My experience is different, so let`s say that some places do and some places don`t. I live in Europe, so I`m pretty sure about that.

It`s off-topic, anyway, I just wanted to clear up that you shouldn`t say Europeans (implying all of them) don`t abbreviate ;)

Ok, I don't think I've seen that clip but that is awesome. That combined with Isabella giving the reporters the peace sign surely makes this the best royal family walkabout ever.

You'll find it here: TV 2 Nyhederne - Live

at 01:43 in the clip where Bella is showing the V-sign or peace sign if you will. You can clearly hear Christian's reply: "Rigtig godt".

(BB is up).

Thanks for posting the link. This may seem like a silly question, but is there any way of subscribing to this magazine. Bearing in mind I don't understand one word of Danish, but would like to see the pics ;)

That would be awesome if you could translate that page for me. Have been trying to do it in bits but it is slightly difficult. Thanks for your help.

That would be awesome if you could translate that page for me. Have been trying to do it in bits but it is slightly difficult. Thanks for your help.

and the problem of the online translators have is that they don't translate ALL the words... and when you read the translation, you didn't understand it completely...

Aller - Abonnement Service - Nyt abonnement

yes you can here. If you need help with translation just say so :)

thanks for the link, i'll try it too...and i don't understand danish either...

Aller - Abonnement Service - Nyt abonnement

yes you can here. If you need help with translation just say so :)

ok I start from top to button.

1: it asks which magazine you want and you choose "billed bladet" on the drop down box.

2: it asks what country you live in and you choose your country from the drop down box

3: it ask how many issues you want to subscribe too. you can choose 13, 26, 39 or 52 issues from the drop down box

4: In this drop down box you can choose when to start your subscription.
Underneath you can see what its going to cost in DKK.

5: "opkrævning" means if you want it to be send to another address than the one you have provided. But I dont think you want to checkmark that.

6: "Fornavn" is your first name

7: "Efternavn" is your last name

8: "Gadenavn og husnummer" is your streetname and the number on your house

9: "Postnummer og by" is the town you live in and the zip code on it

10: "telefonnummer" is your phone number

11: "email adresse" is your email address

12: "abonnementet skal anvendes som gave" is the subscription is going to be used as a gift. dont think you have to checkmark this

13: "jeg ønsker at udprinte gavekortet selv" is I want to print out the gift certificate myself. dont think you have to checkmark this.

14: "Jeg har læst og accepteret Allers abonnementsbetingelser" is that you have read the terms of agreement and accept it. you HAVE to checkmark this.

15: the big mass of words is if they are allowed to contact you with comecials and so on so thats up to you if you want to checkmark this.

16: "Jeg ønsker at betale med Dankort/kreditkort" is I want to use credit card and "Jeg ønsker at få tilsendt Girokort" is that I want to have a bill, so checkmark one of those.

17: "godkend" is accept and "fortryd" is cancell the purchase.

Please ask me if you have any questions about it :)

Thank you Betina for all your help. I'll see how I go :)

I've asked this before but didn't get a reply - can anyone shed some light on the significance of Mary wearing the same fascinator to all three christenings? I would assume that she really really likes it but I just wondered if there was a traditional or royal significance?

I lived in a few places in Europe for a while and I have been to a few more. Almost every country I've been to, abbreviate the names.

I've asked this before but didn't get a reply - can anyone shed some light on the significance of Mary wearing the same fascinator to all three christenings? I would assume that she really really likes it but I just wondered if there was a traditional or royal significance?

It was something she decided to do, I am guessing. She made it her "tradition" by wearing it to all christenings of the children.

I lived in a few places in Europe for a while and I have been to a few more. Almost every country I've been to, abbreviate the names.
As a European who has been to every European country and lived in a few I do not agree with you.
Besides, the only country which matters in this case is Denmark and several Danes have stated that names are not abbreviated in their country.

As a European who has been to every European country and lived in a few I do not agree with you.
Besides, the only country which matters in this case is Denmark and several Danes have stated that names are not abbreviated in their country.
I have to say that I agree with ricarda. I too am European and have visited a lot, and have friends from many different countries. For example, in Italy they don't abbreviate names (unless of course we are with close friends).

I have to say that I agree with ricarda. I too am European and have visited a lot, and have friends from many different countries. For example, in Italy they don't abbreviate names (unless of course we are with close friends).

In Germany it's 50/50 I think. We don't abbreviate names as extrem as in english speaking countries. And we aren't very creative either when wie do it. For example: Alexandra/Alexander will be "Alex" for sure. Only very few would tend to "Lexie" or "Lex". And if an Alexandra/Alexander have a middle name or a surname starting with "J" only 1 or 2 % of the cases would make an "AJ" out of it. We definitely don't abbreviate a name into near non-existence. Same goes for a lot of other names.

Possible abbreviations for Frederiks and Marys children in Germany would be:

Christian: Almost never abbreviated. In very few cases he will be a "Chris". But mostly it's a Christoph/Christopher when you hear "Chris" in Germany.

Isabella: Common abbreviatons are "Isa" or "Bella". This is a name that get's abbreviated a lot. Mostly it's "Isa" whereas "Bella" isn't heard as often in Germany as it is in other countries. In fact, it just started to become "Bella" more since the Twilight-Virus came to Germany. At least it is like this where I live in Germany.

Vincent: A quite popular name in Germany at the moment. At least when you believe the name forums here where this name is discussed a lot. But it's a name that will not be abbreviated in Germany. It's just like Christian. Not a very abbreviate-able name over here.

Josephine: It's the same like Isabella. If it get's abbreviated it will be a "Josie" for sure. I've never heard of a "Jo" when the girl is named Josephine. It's either Josie or Josephine. And it's almost 50/50.

Also I have a lot of friends with long abbreviate-able names who don't get abbreviated. It's not because the don't want it, but because we just don't do it. We never thought about it. They have been given their names and we use them. It's as simple as that.

So much to the system we use in Germany. ;)

Last edited:

I am European as well :). And my experience with the countries I lived in and been to is that yes, they do abbreviate. It also comes from the conversations I had with many Europeans while working in an international environment.

And as I know the only country that matters is Denmark, in this case, I was referring to a part of the discussion about other countries.

Besides, what don't you agree with me on? I stated "Almost every country I've been to, abbreviate the names". Which means, I have been there and heard the people abbreviate.

Which means, they do abbreviate. It doesn't matter whether it is among the close friends or not, my point was, if they do abbreviate or don't at all.

Which means, they do abbreviate. It doesn't matter whether it is among the close friends or not, my point was, if they do abbreviate or don't at all.
There is difference: in the US politicians are known like "Dave Smith", "Joe Cooper" and not as "David Smith", "Joseph Cooper", same thing in Argentina where they go by nicknames even in official events. In Italy or France or other countries that would never happen, the abbreviation of names is only used among friends and never in official things.

I am hoping the four kids names - Christian, Isabella, Vincent, Josephine - get shortened to: Kit, Bel, Vin, Fi (from Fina/Fifi)...

Danes do abbreviate names sometimes. Especially among close friends.

The CP couple calls Isabella: Bella.

Alexandra used to be called Alex by the press all the time.
P Joachim is often called Jokke by the press. And Frederik is often called Frede (or Pingo) by the press.

However I do not see P Vincent being called Vince. Vincent is a rather unusual name in Denmark, so my guess is he will just be called that.

Yes they do! i.e. Filomena to Mena, Domenica to Mica, Luigino to Gino, Regina to Gina and the list goes on.

Undoubtedly, both Mary and Frederick would know that, especially in Australia, names are shortened. Hence why they were probably careful in the names they chose. In Australia it is our culture and deny it as much as you like, but all four children will have contact with their Australian cousins and they will shorten the names to Vinnie and Josie. It's not a bad thing; actually to have your name shortened is a sign of acceptance here in Australia.

KitKat2006 said:
That's a beautiful meaning. Does anyone know if there was snowfall the day the twins were born? It would be a wonderful coincidence. :flowers:

That's really cute. I wonder if Christian was afraid that his mum or dad would say otherwise and therefore he answered to the reporter so his parents couldn't say anything else anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Well we always seems to be a very responsible child. I generally think his gets different treatment by everyone because of his future role. I mean there is probably a more "serious" upbringing on his case, helping him to release his being a potential crown prince and later, king. So I guess that affects him generally in his life. On the other hand, almost all firstborns feel that they are a little bit responsible for their younger siblings, even if the age difference between them is small.

Are there any videos from the scene of Christian calling Isabella or replying to the journalists? I would love to see them!

I am hoping the four kids names - Christian, Isabella, Vincent, Josephine - get shortened to: Kit, Bel, Vin, Fi (from Fina/Fifi)...

kit??? where did that come from. doesnt make sence to me that Christian can be Kit

Back
Top Bottom