Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there is some truth behind all jokes. And, It seems like he doesn't have joking skill.
Oh, he does, don´t mistake that. I know, second-hand, that he indeed has joking skills.

I think Vincent and Josephine are great names, and also totally unexpected. Josephine is one of my late grandmother's names, and I've always been partial to it. She was Genevieve Josephine, and if I ever have a daughter, she'll be getting one of them.

I also thought that Mary looked amazing -- blue is a great color on her.

I wonder if Princess Mary ever comes in here !

in another forum i read that mary looked a little bit sad, i really don't think so, but, she has a post-birth depression maybe?

what i really believe is that mary looked correct and beautiful...

and, how would you feel when the day before the christening, the press is tellin' that your husband is dancing with a blond girl in a discoteque????

(curious thing: it's the same place where the family celebrated the christening that night...)

Awwww, that´s so familiar that you share your clothes with your siblings :wub: Though I didn´t thought that we would see it this clearly with the CPC, but it´s soooooo sweet :wub:

yeah, i agree, but it's very uncommon in royalty... but i liked it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone notice if Marie followed along in Danish with the hymns and the prayers during the christening?

Did anyone notice if Marie followed along in Danish with the hymns and the prayers during the christening?

I don't think they got a closeup of Princess Marie.

Check youtube's DRFGARDEN to be certain.

Prince Vince??? What were they thinking? His other names are lovely, even Minik has some sort of style about it...but Vincent is so old-fashioned.
What about traditional Danish names? It seems odd to me that they have honoured the Greenland connection but ignored beautiful Danish names.

Here we have a gallery of hats and other head adornments worn during the christening: Billed-Bladet - Kongelige og kendte luftede hattene til tvillingedåben

Helle Reedtz-Thott is a stunner! :eek: Even without the...eeh, something on her head. - No, I'm not making fun, I just don't know what such an adornment is called. :ermm:

Added: Notice picture #10. It looks like she was inspired by an owl. Hornugle in Danish, don't know what that kind of owl is called in English. http://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=...46WOsSx9Y8J&page=1&ndsp=53&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Last edited:
All the most widely used names right now were more or less considered old-fashioned 10 years ago.

This distinquised elderly gentlemen (Fyns tidligere biskop Vincent Lind er død - fyens.dk - Odense), the former bishop of Funen, died in 2007 at the ripe old age of 82. His name was Vincent Lind.

Vincent is by no means an unknown name in Denmark, it's just not so widely used - but that is bound to change now. And to my ears it is no more foreign-sounding than e.g. the name Alexander which everyone seem to accept.

The nod to Greenland was beautiful and appropriate IMO - just as Queen Margrethe's name Þórhildur was a beautiful nod to Iceland 70 years ago.

please! can you explain me why alexander, sophia and mathilda?
thanks!!!

Propably because Mary and Fred simply like the names :)

I'm just guessing here, but I think Alexander is a family name on Mary's side (she has a nephew with the first name of Alexander), Sophia is a DRF name, as is Mathilda, but the latter is also an Australian name (and kind of a nod to the country's famous folk song 'Waltzing Matilda').

Why Alexander, Sophia and Mathilda?
Only the royal couple know their full reasoning though I note:

Alexander - royal connection - Alexandrine etc.; used in both families in the past, current connection to two of Fred's lovely cousins - Alexandra and Alexia; great meaning and an association with two nephews - Nikolai (after his mother) and Alexander Stephens. Alexander adds an attractive/complimentary sound to the whole name as well.

Sophia - great meaning and sound, Sophie, Sophia etc. is featured widely in the history of the royal family, look into the family tree.

Mathilda - is also a Danish royal name. Mathilde of Belgium is a wonderful example of a modern day bearer. The sound of Ivalo Mathilda together is really pretty and the nod to Australia's Watzing Matilda is special.

Last edited:
Prince Vince??? What were they thinking? His other names are lovely, even Minik has some sort of style about it...but Vincent is so old-fashioned.
What about traditional Danish names? It seems odd to me that they have honoured the Greenland connection but ignored beautiful Danish names.

Not Prince Vince, Prince Vincet ;) European's don't really abbreviate names as much as we do in English speaking countries.

I'm not fond of the name personally but you mentioned it being 'old fashioned'. Well, in a sense it is, but It's not a particularly popular name in Denmark so that in essence makes it a rather unusual and interesting name for the wee Prince to have.

They did 'honour' names that are well established in the Danish culture. Josephine, Mathilda, Frederik and Alxeander.

That Greenland is an autonomous country within the Commonwealth of the Realm (Rigsfællesskabet), it's hardly surprising that they should have chosen Greenlandic names. A rather lovely gesture I thought.

Last edited:
Was Prince Felipe present?

Oh and by the way..Isabella is so cute!She has the face of her father!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Prince Vince, Prince Vincet ;) European's don't really abbreviate names as much as we do in English speaking countries.
That`s not true, the Danes might not abbreviate, but other Europeans do, a lot. In my country Vincent is called Vincek - not pretty at all. It`s an old-fashioned name.

Josephine is lovely. I don`t like it in my country (again it has ugly abbreviations), but I think it`s perfect for a Scandinavian princess.

Name discussions are a bit funny sometimes. Many posters seem to object to the name Vincent for not being what they perceive as a Danish name. At the same time the objections against the name are often based on the way the name is abbreviated and used in other languages.
Vincent has no 'natural abbreviation' in Danish - and the name sounds really good in Danish. So, hasn't the name accomplished all goals?

He's not merely a Danish prince though...there is an Australian connection and we do shorten names over here. Mostly in an affectionate way. Vince has a 'bogan' (chav for my English friends) connotation in Australia but perhaps it's time that was changed. I love the Greenland names and thought it was a beautiful gesture. I guess I'm just surprised that Mary didn't think of the abbreviation the name will receive in Australia and elsewhere.

Various trivia from countless articles in Billed Bladet #16, 2011.
Written by all the royal reporters.

There were 236 guests in the church at the christening.
Vincent wore the traditional christening gown from 1870, while Josephine wore a gown from 1940, which had been kept unused in store somewhere. The gown was originally a gift to the then crown princess Ingrid, for QMII's baptism.

And we now have yet one more defintion of the meaning of the name Minik. According to professor in geology, Minik Rosing, who was present at the church, the name also means "silent snow fall".

It was a very active and charming Isabella, who nearly stole the show at the christening.
Bella has often been very reserved and very reluctant to smile beforehand. She has also loudly been a determined little lady with her own opinion of what should happen next! Not so this time. At the christening she was all smiles, fun and charm.
And also later on outside Amalienborg.
(Personally I believe she has been very much influenced by attending kindergarten. Children soon learn there to realise that they are not the centre of the universe and that their parents are not around to fulfill any demand they may have, but also to realise and take into consideration the needs of other children).
It looked to me, that she is also relishing the thought of not being the youngest anymore and thet she feel a genuine reponsibility to look after and comfort her younger siblings. She was ready to caress Josephine when she whimpered in Mary's arms in the church.
All in all, a healthy normal child.

Now, being a big brother is heavy responsibility and Christian clearly saw himself as being in charge of his sister. Including calling out to her: "Bella, come here"! And as the dutiful sister, Isabella is, she obeyed - almost.
When a BB reporter shouted to Frederik: "How do you think the children have managed today"? It was Christian who replied: "Very well". (You can actually see that in one of the clips).

While the official photos were takan, the other guests sailed from the church for a tour around the harbour, only to arrive close to Amalienborg an hour later.
The three sightseeing boats used, have been sold but were commandeered for the occasion. Navy NCO's steered the boats and mates from Dannebrog were in charge of the refreshments served onboard.
How much of Copenhagen they actually saw is perhaps questionable, as it appears the guests were more preoccupied with chatting. Many of them don't see each other regularly.

Among the guests were some of Mary's Scottish relatives, including her moster (aunt), Catherine Murray.
Ellen Hillingsøe was wearing an outfit from Malene Birger.
Caroline Søeborg Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille was in a dress from Lanvin. (She married into serious nobility! From no less than four noble families. FasterB :flowers:).
Caroline Heering's dress was from Heartmade.
Helle Reedtz-Thott wore Christian Louboutin shoes. So did Anja Alajdi.
Rose Gad Foss wore a dress from Baum und Pferdgarten.
The designers Julie Fagerholt and Malene Birger were also there, in their own creations.
Amber Petty said her dress was vintage. - (I'll believe that)..
Caroline Fleming wore a red Chanel jacket and Christian Louboutin shoes.
QMII's hat is apparantly very high fashion! It was created by Per Falk Hansen.
Birgitte Handwerk wore a dress by Britt Sisseck, with a Chanel bag and Christian Loubouting shoes.
(Don't say I don't provide service, ladies ;)).

Mary's fascionator is by Marlene Birger. Her brooch was a maternity present from QMII, when Christian was born. It belonged to Queen Ingrid. It's in gold, with pearls and diamonds, incased in silver.

Prince Vincent wasn't that pleased to begin with, but Frederik had equipped himself with a pacifier, which he showed into the mouth of the young Prince. At least that's how it looked to me. Anyway, it worked.

It was Mary who han been in charge of the flower arrangement. The arrangement had been inspired by the blossoming Spring time.

As you noticed, Christian knwe the Lords Prayer by heart.

The heads of the courts, both QMII and M&F's, presented M&F with a couple of frames in silver.
The maternity team, who were also invited, presented M&F with two specially made rucksacks of seal skin from Greenland.

Bette Henrik will soon turn two and he sat on daddy's lap. That was okay, to start with... But soon he wanted to stand on his own, perhaps in the vain hope that Nikolai and Felix would play with him. No. Well, then he could at least charm himself to sit on the lap of Nikolai, to his visible delight.
When the baptism had ended he was reunited with mum. Up in her arms!

At the party at the nightclub in the evening, one of the guests, Pelle Hvenegaard, said when he left: "Frederik has snatched all the blondes".

Among the guests in the church were some whom Frederik had served with in the Frogman Corps.

ADDED: Mette Hansen, Christian's old nanny was at the church as well. She has maintained contact with the family.

And that ends this weeks coverage in Billed Bladet.

Last edited:
And we now have yet one more defintion of the meaning of the name Minik. According to professor in geologi, Minik Rosing, who was present at the church, the name also means "silent snow fall".

That's a beautiful meaning. Does anyone know if there was snowfall the day the twins were born? It would be a wonderful coincidence. :flowers:

Now, being a big brother is heavy responsibility and Christian clearly saw himself as being in charge of his sister. Including calling out to her: "Bella, come here"! And as the dutiful sister, Isabella is, she obeyed - almost.
When a BB reporter shouted to Frederik: "How do you think the children have managed today"? It was Christian who replied: "Very well". (You can actually see that in one of the clips).

That's really cute. I wonder if Christian was afraid that his mum or dad would say otherwise and therefore he answered to the reporter so his parents couldn't say anything else anymore. :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm just surprised that Mary didn't think of the abbreviation the name will receive in Australia and elsewhere.

If they would have aknowledged every abbrevation in ever country, the babies would still be without a name. :whistling:

You also have to keep in mind, that the names of the children have to be on the national list of approved names.
After seeing a sticker on the back of a car that said "Kyle Rocco", Germany should have such a list, too. :whistling:

Last edited:
Princess Mary's Headpiece

Does anyone know who the designer is of Princess Mary's "christening" headpiece?

Various trivia from countless articles in Billed Bladet #16, 2011.

Mary's fascionator is by Marlene Birger. .

I am 'fascinated' as to why Mary has worn it to every christening. I think it's lovely, charming on her and as a new 'tradition' is very sweet but I wondered if anyone was able to shed light on the significance...is it a Danish tradition?

If they would have aknowledged every abbrevation in ever country, the babies would still be without a name. :whistling:

You also have to keep in mind, that the names of the children have to be on the national list of approved names.
After seeing a sticker on the back of a car that said "Kyle Rocco", Germany should have such a list, too. :whistling:

Good point, nicely put. :)

Back
Top Bottom