Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for the pics! Everyone looked great (although I haven't seen Laurentien's full outfit yet :)

I loved how Victoria, Haakon & Joachim were made goparents...if I am correct..they are fairly close right? And Mette Marit...what a lovely surprise..although I thought he would pick another one of his cousins (Alexandra or Alexia).

Last question..what is up with the weather in Denmark? I heard it snowed so hard that the airports were closed...yet no one is wearing coats when arriving to the church?

tbhrc said:
This is maybe a stupid question, but I'm not so often in this forum. So what is wrong with the Queens eye?

Not at all...

As far as I know, HM the Queen Margrethe was in a car accident with her beloved mother (the then Queen Consort Ingird) when she was a young girl and as a result, a deformation of the eye was what was sustained by the young Princess. Neither mother nor daughter were severely hurt (that's if you dont percieve an eye injury to be severe, but I think it's a little severe).

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
Wonderful, superb, brilliant, awe inspiring!!!!

Absolutely loved it... watched it on sky news Australia and was glued to the screen.

Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth looked, so, so beautiful. The hair, the floral aigrette, the top, the skirt, the shoes, the saphire diamond ecnrusted brooch...

To me, the perfect representation of a Crown Princess.

HRH the Prince Christian..adorable!!!

Seeing both the Crown Prince and Crown Pricness shed tears was quite touching.

"MII"

Totally agree.
Mary looked very beautiful and so pretty. I LOVED what she was wearing and she reminded me of a young Princess Margaret of England. The little Prince Christian was so adorable and he looked lovely in his gown. I loved the way Fred and Mary were both emotional and Fred held Mary's hand at one stage. It was a wonderful Christening and thank you all for the great photos.
I am excited now to get all the newspapers and magazines next week. Good evening to all:)

tabbitha said:
Totally agree.
Mary looked very beautiful and so pretty. I LOVED what she was wearing and she reminded me of a young Princess Margaret of England. The little Prince Christian was so adorable and he looked lovely in his gown. I loved the way Fred and Mary were both emotional and Fred held Mary's hand at one stage. It was a wonderful Christening and thank you all for the great photos.
I am excited now to get all the newspapers and magazines next week. Good evening to all:)

Same tabbitha...same :) ;)

"MII"

More photos from Getty images

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
Last question..what is up with the weather in Denmark? I heard it snowed so hard that the airports were closed...yet no one is wearing coats when arriving to the church?
People were wearing coats when they arrived, but they stopped up at Christiansborg for security checks, and for removal of heavy coats, before making the short walk to church.

There will be a private dinner tonight at Fredensborg, but that won't be broadcast, and it will be nearly impossible for the photographers to get pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Norwegianne...again great pics. I look forward to seeing official pictures. Is it me..or was it strange that Felipe was not there...I know he just had a baby as well...but I thought he was farily close to Frederik?

Zonk1189 said:
Thanks Norwegianne...again great pics. I look forward to seeing official pictures. Is it me..or was it strange that Felipe was not there...I know he just had a baby as well...but I thought he was farily close to Frederik?

The Prince Felipe initiates today a tour of 1 week along Latin America, tomorrow he comes to Evo Morales's appointment how president of Bolivia. He will travel also to El Salvador and Honduras.;)

ANP photos

Below are from getty images

Crown Princess Mary with her son Christian Valdemar Henri John arriving for the reception at Christiansborg Palace after he was christened in Christiansborg Palace Chapel in Copenhagen, Denmark, Saturday, Jan. 21, 2006.
Photos from Reuters
and Princess Mette Marit and Prince Haakon

Thanks for the lovely pics everyone! Lille Christian is a real cutie

I saw Amber Pettys name on the guestlist but I haven´t seen any photos of her yet? Was she there? And howcome she wasn´t godmother? I thought she would be one... but Hamish Campbell is a really good choice to imo :)

From Face to Face, my favourites photos

Attachments

• Mary and Baby 2.JPG
    Mary and Baby 2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Mary and Baby 1.JPG
    Mary and Baby 1.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Mary looked absolutely wonderful in her outfit. I love the way small Christian was sucking her finger (and so she managed to make him silent).
However to me Alexandra and her boys stole the show, she looked stunning and the boys were adorable (though it wouldn't hurt if their parents made sure they closed their coats in this weather).

I love this photos, too (Face to Face):

Attachments

• Mary and Baby 3.JPG
    Mary and Baby 3.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 544
  • Mary and Baby 4.JPG
    Mary and Baby 4.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 720
  • Mary and Baby 5.JPG
    Mary and Baby 5.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 590
  • Mary and Baby 6.JPG
    Mary and Baby 6.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
While I am glad that we finally have a name..I must admit..I am going to miss him being referred to lilleprinsen :)

Thanks to all who posted photos and shared insights as they watched! On the East Coast of the US it was too early for me, but the photos are wonderful. What a beautiful family! Frederik and Mary are clearly in love, and in love with their son, and I loved the shots of the Godparents looking on so sweetly.

Europe's Young Royals See Denmark's Little Prince Named
Copenhagen's intense winter cold failed to affect the warmth of the occasion when the name of Denmark's future king was finally revealed on Saturday at his christening in the Christianborg Palace Chapel in Copenhagen.............
............."Christian, Valdemar, Henri, John," she replied, spacing the words carefully. The Bishop then baptised the infant using the intricately-wrought, solid gold, royal christening set.............
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/01/21/danishchristening/

Below are photos from Afterposten
[URL="http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dp048964jpg359532g8hq.jpg"][/URL]

Last edited:
Royal Godparents and Princess Martha Louise with Ari (Face to Face):

Attachments

• Mette and Haakon2.JPG
    Mette and Haakon2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 489
  • Marthe.JPG
    Marthe.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 468
  • Mette and Haakon3.JPG
    Mette and Haakon3.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Mette and Haakon.JPG
    Mette and Haakon.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Mette.JPG
    Mette.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 737
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Does anyone have information on what Mary and Frederik said to the press when they entered the Palace after the christening? Thanks!

From Getty images
I hope you guys can see that Prince Christian is smiling in pic #2.

Last edited:
I didn't like the pattern on the skirt of Mary's outfit. Otherwise everything was fine.

The pictures are just lovey! I had to work all day and missed seeing it live, now i seem to have some trouble finding some video of the ceremony - it look beautiful...

Prince Christian, Valdemar, Henri, John!

Finally a name!!!
:) Prince Christian, Valdemar, Henri, John!
Mary looks radiant, she has one contagious smile that translates in every photo as how happy she is. And the baby's eyes match her dress!
Question: Is Christian's Lutheran baptism ceremony similar to Leonor's baptism Catholic ceremony, where the mother always holds the child?

Last edited:
I think Mary looked stunning, well, except for what she was wearing on her head. Otherwise, I think her outfit was very appropriate.

Thanks everybody for the lovely pictures. Sadly, I couldn't get myself out of bed at 4am to watch it all but it looks like a lovely event.

I really liked this pic of Mary and Christian as she walked into the church.

From polfoto

marybabe.jpg

Sadly, I haven't seen any photos of Philippe and Matilde. They're always a handsome pair.

Last edited:
Some pictures, from Face to Face (Princess Victoria, Alexandra with sons, Pavlos with Marie-Chantal and of course CP Mary with little Christian):

Attachments

• al1.JPG
    al1.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 501
  • v2.JPG
    v2.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 442
  • gr1.JPG
    gr1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 615
  • m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 294
  • m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Ennyllorac said:
I think Mary looked stunning, well, except for what she was wearing on her head. Otherwise, I think her outfit was very appropriate.

My thoughts exactly. I did not mention it but she could have let go of the flowery thing on her head. Came to mind the 1960's turban hats Liz Taylor used to wear. Mary looks fine just with her hair being pulled back. And, the skirt is too busy. The hat is one color, followed by the coat with two colors and a skirt with three or four (?) colors and shoes to match the hat, not the dress?
Ladies, I'll leave it to you comments now.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the beautifull pictures! Mary looks radiant, and the baby is really gorgeous! I think that lilleprinse has everything to be happy, a good and lovely parents (Mary looks very tender and sweet), the best godparents...I wish them the best of the entire Universe!!!!

When you see how the other royal women were dressed, CP Mary's outfit seems a little more suited to spring time rather than a cold winter's day! It's a beautiful outfit - i love the brooch she has on but not the hat! She must be rather cold walking into church with the wind blowing...

I still haven't found a pic of Philippe and Mathilde but here's a really nice pic of Martha-Louise (my favorite princess!) and Ari Behn walking into the church.

from polfoto

marthalouise.jpg

edited to add: Hannelore found some pics of Mathilde and Philippe at ANP and posted them in the Philippe and Mathilde thread. Thanks Hannelore! Mathilde looks lovely as always and Philippe is always so dashing!

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/366333-post177.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom