Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes it is. ...i thought his sermon at the wedding was soooooooo boring. i guess we'll have to listen to him again now.

pollyemma said:
yes it is. ...i thought his sermon at the wedding was soooooooo boring. i guess we'll have to listen to him again now.

I didn't understand a word he said at the wedding, but there was a translator and I think what he said was beautiful, and very welcoming to the new CP.:)

I thought his sermon during the wedding was a beautiful one, as well.

I can't wait for the christening of the little prince! We finally get to find out his name. I'm rooting for Christian, since I think it's nice to stick with tradition, and I don't care what they choose for all of those middle names :). Are there such things as press photo shoots when the press is allowed to take pictures of the young prince when he gets a little older? Or will we only see him at official functions with his parents on the balcony or something? And during their private time with fuzzy pictures?

It's so exciting to finally have a date, and it will be very nice to finally know his name. (Of course, it will be interesting to see who is chosen as his godprarents as well.)

Since we have more than a month to wait for the christening, does anybody know the general ceremony for the christening of the heir? Will it be much different than the christenings of Felix and Nikolai?

its seems that felipe will not be tehre he is going to bolivia

ysbel said:
Since we have more than a month to wait for the christening, does anybody know the general ceremony for the christening of the heir? Will it be much different than the christenings of Felix and Nikolai?

I don't think so. Both Nikolai and Felix baptisms were like every other baptism in Denmark, apart from some of the "equipment" used (candlesticks etc.). My guess is that this is going to be the only difference at Lilleprinsens baptism as well. the ceremony it self is exactly the same as at every baptism in a danish church.

Louise said:
I don't think so. Both Nikolai and Felix baptisms were like every other baptism in Denmark, apart from some of the "equipment" used (candlesticks etc.). My guess is that this is going to be the only difference at Lilleprinsens baptism as well. the ceremony it self is exactly the same as at every baptism in a danish church.

Hi Louise. Thanks for the answer. I see you're from Denmark. :) Would you care to share with the rest of us how a Danish baptism service is conducted?

I am from Denmark too and a normal christening is a part of a normal church service. You sing some psalms and then the godmother/father carries the child to the fountain and the priest asks what the name of the child is. After the godmother/father have said the name and that she/he would take care that the child would be raised in the Christian faith, the priest will confirm that the child has been babtized "I faderens, sønnens og helligåndens navn" (In the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit) . Then the church servise will go on as usual.

I hope this settles the issue :)

betina, do you know if they will have a regular church service at the christening for den nye lille prins or will they just do the christening itself?

I dont think this christening will be as a normal one but not that far off. I dont think it will be public so normal people can attend the christening else i think the rituals will be the same as a normal danish church christening with songs and the priest speakin (sorry for my bad english)

Ekstrabladet thinks DR and TV2 are going overboard with their coverage of, Quote: The Little Prince getting his hair washed, and thinks that the republicans who pay TV licence will choke on their coffee when they see the time both channels has devoted to "royal name games, christening gowns and other tax funded parties"

Tv 2 will have guests like designer Henrik Hviid, editor of Se og Hør, An astrologer, and a name researcher.

It’s quite a funny written article really, although somewhat catty
http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=329540

Here is the time scheduel for the christening on DR

7.00 Good Morning Denmark.
Dr’s “christening team” who consists of Natasja Crone, Peter Qvortrup Geisling, Line Baun Danielsen, Camilla Ottesen, Jacob Riising, Anna von Lowzow, Tine Gøtzsche, Claus Letort and Jeppe Nybroe starts to prepare for the christening (probably pictures from the birth etc)

8.30 Gifts
A look at the gifts for the little Prince

9.00 Peter and the Prince
Pictures from the expedition Frederik made to Greenland together with Peter Qvodrup Geisling.

9.15 Mother Mary (catchy title:rolleyes: )
How Mary wants to a modern mother in every way, show footage about what she has said about being a mother

9.30 The Guests-Profiles
A look at the most interesting guests

10.00 The arrival of the guests
Anna von Lowzow and Tine Gøtzsche will tell about the guests and their relation to the Prince and his parents

11.00 The christening

12.00 “Viewing” of the Prince at Christiansborg, Drabandsalen
Mary and Frederik will drive the short way to Christiansborg where will show of their little son (now with a name) to the press and viewers. The guests will walk to Riddersalen where the Reception will take place

13.00 Reception
Standing buffè and champagne in Riddersalen at Christiansborg

19.00 The Party
There will be a private party for Frederik and Marys friends and family at Fredensborg palace, DR will show live the arrival of the guests
http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=329544

Here is the Program from TV2
http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=329543

BT & TV2 inform that Crown Princess Victoria will represent Sweden on the christening of lilleprinsen

The King & Queen, Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine will not come.

(thanks to Larzen for the translation!)

Last edited:
http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17776333%255E3462,00.html

Donaldson clan heeds call of the `Kingaroo'
By TIM MARTAIN
10jan06

PRINCESS Mary's family is expected to travel to Denmark for the christening of Mary's baby in just under two weeks.

The three-month-old son of Mary, formerly of Tasmania, and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark will be christened in a ceremony at Christiansborg Palace Church in Copenhagen on January 21.
In line with Danish Royal tradition the child, dubbed "Kingaroo", is tipped to be named Christian, because male heirs alternate between Frederik and Christian.
Princess Mary's sisters Jane Stephens and Patricia Bailey are believed to be preparing to travel to Denmark with their husbands for the christening ceremony.
Mary's father, John Donaldson, and step-mother Susan Moody now live in Denmark and will also be at the ceremony.

Mary's friend, Amber Petty, is in Europe and it is believed she will also attend the event.
There is no official word yet on who will be the prince's godparents, but possible candidates include Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Norway's Crown Prince Haakon, Frederik's brother Prince Joachim and one of Mary's sisters.
When the baby was born on October 15, his arrival was welcomed with bonfires in the streets of Copenhagen, echoing an ancient Viking tradition.
And in Hobart similar celebrations followed, with bonfires on Hobart's waterfront and on Blackmans Bay Beach.
There was initially some concern for the baby's health when the first photos revealed he was jaundiced.
But jaundice is a common condition among newborns that rarely causes any lasting problems and the royal baby was soon in perfect health.
Many Tasmanians sent special baby gifts to Denmark to celebrate the birth, but controversy erupted over the State Government's decision to send a pair of Tasmanian devils to the Copenhagen Zoo as a gift.
Fears were raised that moving the devils could inadvertently spread the facial tumour disease, but the Copenhagen Zoo was recently given permission to import the devils. The Government also sent a pair of Tasmanian suede baby booties and a silver christening spoon featuring Tasmania's mineral emblem crocoite.

Last edited:
I think christenings are considered rather private (even when telivised), so I assume that the only non-danish royals will be the godparents of the child, most likely the crownprince of Norway (+ spouse) and the crownprincess of Sweden.

To pollyemma: the only non-dutch royals at the christening of Amalia were CP Victoria of Sweden (godmother), the crownprince and crownprincess of Belgium and the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (to celebrate the Benelux-connections maybe).

Marengo said:
I think christenings are considered rather private (even when telivised), so I assume that the only non-danish royals will be the godparents of the child, most likely the crownprince of Norway (+ spouse) and the crownprincess of Sweden.

To pollyemma: the only non-dutch royals at the christening of Amalia were CP Victoria of Sweden (godmother), the crownprince and crownprincess of Belgium and the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (to celebrate the Benelux-connections maybe).

thanks so much! thats what I thought but i wanted to double check.

purple_platinum said:
Can we please reserved this thread for the actual christening? please..please..
The guestlist for the christening will probably be released before time, until then, the royal guests will still be all speculative (for exception of norwegian royals, and victoria of sweden). the british may send a representative or not, but we'll have to see the actual guestlist released by the royal house for that.

As you wish purple_platinum. This thread has now been cleaned. If members wish to play guessing games as to godparents' names or the Little Prince's name, please do so in the appropriate threads. If you wish to discuss Mary's or Frederick's family and friends, please do so in the appropriate threads.

This thread is reserved for news regarding the Little Prince's christening and for the actual christening.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Well the Danish Royals are pretty grand so they might have a big christining. How have they been in the past? Also, how much does the place where there having the christening seat?

Princejohnny25 said:
Well the Danish Royals are pretty grand so they might have a big christining. How have they been in the past? Also, how much does the place where there having the christening seat?
I don't know how many people Christiansborg Palace Church will seat. It was a surprise that F&M chose this church for the christening (the burial service for the late queen Ingrid was held here). You can see the church here - and Christiansborg just behind - http://www.ses.dk/388c55f0)
CP Frederik was christened in Holmens Kirke - where QMII and Henrik were also married. I do not have any information about the celebrations after Frederik's christening, sorry.

After the christening on 21 January, there will be a reception at the great hall at Christiansborg - haven't seen anything about the number of guests yet but suppose that hall will be able to accommodate a few. There has been some speculations in the press here that there will be no kings or queens present, only 'young' royals.

An Australian magazine said in a 'Inside the Royal Christening' article that Christiansborg Castle Church has only had one christening there in its entire history and that it was way back in 1870, which was also the year that the royal christening gown was first used. It also said that each member of the royal family who was christened in the gown had their name embroidered on it. Considering that each of the royals have three or four names, the embroidery on the gown would have to be either really tiny or all the names overlap :confused:

The Dukes of Brabant will attend the christening, it seems like Bt has it confirmed from the belgian Royal house

BT further write that the boy will have 8:eek: godparents and BTs royal reporter Bodil Cath guesses on Joachim, Victoria, Haakon, Marys sister Jane, one from Berleburg, one from Greece and two friends

They also say that frederik and Mary were late with the invitations and there has been some cancelations
http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=413572:fid=100300348/

500 people from the press wil cover the well 300 guests, 378 are from the danish press
http://www.bt.dk/nyheder/artikel:aid=413662/

Berlingske has an aritcle on the music, you need a free subscription to read it though
http://www.berlingske.dk/nyprins/artikel:aid=681602/
Københavns Drengekor and Holmens Kirkes Kantori will sing
Organ player in Christiansborgs Slotskirke is Jakob Lorentzen
When the couple arrives with their son the hymn "Her kommer Jesus dine små" will be performed by the Boys Choir of Copenhagen.
they will leave the church to Fuzzy`s Postludium "Fanfare"

Last edited:
Just wanted to pass this link on. It's a great new site called "Danish Royal Watchers".

A post from today gives lots of good info for those of us who plan to watch the live broadcast including links to a world clock converter and a bit more.

http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com/

Crown Princess Victoria is confirmed to attend

from royalcourt.se

lördag 21/1
Kronprinsessan
Närvaro vid dopcermoni för H.K.H. Kronprins Fredrik och H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Marys son i Christiansborgs Slottskirke, Köpenhamn

The royal baptism next Saturday will offer a mix of traditional church classics as well as new compositions

Danish composer Fuzzy has become a favourite for Crown Prince Frederik when it comes to music for the royal household.

Fuzzy, who composed the crown prince's march four years ago, was also invited to create a piece for next Saturday's royal baptism. His 'Fanfare' will accompany Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, and their - as yet - unnamed heir to the Danish throne as they exit the Christiansborg Palace chapel, reports national daily Berlingske Tidende.

Peter Harbeck, conductor of the Royal Life Guard's Music Corps, called the piece 'a nice composition'. Five of Harbeck's horn players will play the fanfare as the baptism concludes.

After the baptism, the music corps will perform during the royal couple's reception for over 300 well-wishers from Denmark and abroad.

In addition to the new Fuzzy work, trumpet player and composer Palle Mikkelsen has also composed a new work to be played during the baptism.

The work for harp and chorus is based on St. Francis of Assisi's 'Dear God be Good to Me', and will be performed by the Boys' Chorus of Copenhagen, and harpists Helen Davies and Trine Rheling.

During the procession to the baptismal font, the boys' chorus will sing the Brorson hymn 'Her kommer Jesus dine små' (Jesus, the children come unto thee). The entire congregation will be invited to sing traditional baptismal hymn 'Sov sødt barnlille' (Sleep softly, little child).

National broadcaster DR also reported on Friday that over 500 journalists and photographers were registered to cover the baptism. The number is significantly lower than those attending the royal wedding in May 2004, where 2000 were registered.

The baptism of the Queen Margrethe's first grandchild, Prince Nikolai, however, drew only 100 journalists.

In addition to Danish media, reporters from across Europe, the crown princess's home country of Australia, as well as the US and Japan will be present.

http://www.cphpost.dk/get/93336.html

Back
Top Bottom