Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Citizen2005 said:
What a bad habit IMO...And so the poor boy is sucking a finger that has a nail polish:confused:

Is it really such a bad habit? The nurses told me that I could do this when my baby wouldn't quiet down instead of using a dummy.

Smilla said:
Is it really such a bad habit? The nurses told me that I could do this when my baby wouldn't quiet down instead of using a dummy.

Perhaps it might only be bad because the little one is sucking on a nail that has polish on it (toxic substance, etc., you get my drift :) .

Me thinks Princess Pavlos of Greece is showing her bump - baby no? I lost track.

Last edited by a moderator:
rarotonga said:
Perhaps it might only be bad because the little one is sucking on a nail that has polish on it (toxic substance, etc., you get my drift :) .

I'd expect her not to put nail polish on the one finger she'd use as a mock dummy. Possibly she tends to do that on occasion and surely she is clever enough to realize that you don't feed nail polish to your kid. Anyway. We'll never know.

What a wonderful cristening, Mary is such a natural and she an Frederik seems so in love.

The Greek Crown Princess certainly looks pregnant from that angle, doesn't she

It could be just her belly after 4 pregnancies.

we might need a fashion thread there is so much to discuss. Best dressed only imo was PA, Mathilde elegant as always and PV. misses was Chantal (what was that in her hair????) Laurentin and MM

the prince is cute!! and finally a name is given to him! Christian!

Nikolai and Felix is SOOOO cute....Felix really doesn't look that happy in those pics....

Mary's jacket is nice...but.....i dun think the dress matches the jacket..and i'm not sure about her "hat" or headpiece (looks kinda werid all together)

Frederick is VERY emotional!~!

Toledo said:
My thoughts exactly. I did not mention it but she could have let go of the flowery thing on her head. Came to mind the 1960's turban hats Liz Taylor used to wear. Mary looks fine just with her hair being pulled back. And, the skirt is too busy. The hat is one color, followed by the coat with two colors and a skirt with three or four (?) colors and shoes to match the hat, not the dress?
Ladies, I'll leave it to you comments now.

I thought she looked great, but the delicate light chiffon skirt worn in the dead of winter was a big no-no. Especially since it was freezing and the wind was kicking up.

Other than that it was a fantastic and moving service. Congrats to Prince Christian and may his life be filled with joy, happiness, and love.:)

I love Mary's jacket, but not much else on her. The headpiece and hair scared me! The skirt just could have been better. Mary and her sister Jane look EXACLTY the same! Also, it was very sweet to see Mary interact with her precious baby.

The royal guests really radiated today. Mette-Marit struck me as extraordinarily beautiful, as did Mathilde. The Queen was just lovely and she was a very proud grandmother.

Fred was so cute trying to put the bonnet back on. post 226 the last photo is wonderful of the godparents reacting to him. such sweet looks on their faces. in post 233 Mary is laughing at his attempts. and the last photo is a mother truely in love with her son, so beautiful.
i would have liked the hairpiece if it had been live flowers, jacket and brooch were perfect, skirt would have been better matching the jacket material imo. but Mary was radiant and they both seemed so happy and in love with each other and their baby.

I need to check to see if there is a godmother/godfather thread...I know Victoria is the godmother of Ingrid, Odyeeus (sp) and now...Christian. Is Mette Marit a royal godmother as well besides Christian (love that name!)?

It's great to see so many pics of all the royals.

As for the service I thought it was appropriately grand in the great tradition of the Danish Royal House and yet still intimate and moving. Christian's godparents were well-chosen; they looked delighted and intimate with the little prince especially Mette-Marit. Little touches like these make the event more intimate and special. The choir singing as Mary, Fred, and the baby walked in was just beautiful.

I was delighted to see the lille prins dressed in the long flowing 1870s christening gown and little cap. The cap must have come in handy in the bitter Danish cold. He has the most beautiful blue eyes and the picture of him sucking Mary's finger is so adorable. It reminded me of when Prince William sucked on Diana's finger at his christening. Prince Frederik was so attentive to his wife and child, he was wonderful to watch. Nicholas and Felix are such cuties too; I'm glad Joachim and Alexandra brought them though it was so cold.

Mary and Fred looked great. While I wouldn't like to see the floral headpiece on her all the time, I was glad to see it here because it let us see her lovely face. The stylish broadbrimmed hats worn by other princesses made their outfits look smashing but hid the ladies' faces too much. Its a very smart hat for winter weather but not good for candid photos. Martha-Louse is stunning and stylish as always.

All in all, a wonderful service and a grand occasion. And I'm delighted they named the little one, Christian!

I've mixed feeling about CP Mary. Her "hat" is horrible IMO, and the two pieces of the outfit don't match really with each other.
The little hero of the day is becoming cuter than after he was born. Maybe it will be like princess Amalia.

P.S. Alexandria: it's Berleburg, not Bereleberg. The full name is zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
I need to check to see if there is a godmother/godfather thread...I know Victoria is the godmother of Ingrid, Odyeeus (sp) and now...Christian. Is Mette Marit a royal godmother as well besides Christian (love that name!)?
MM is also godmother of the youngest child of prince and princess Pavlos.

Zonk1189 said:
Mette-Marit is godmother to Odyesseus Kimon of Greece

Thanks kwanfan and LaMinka! I knew there was one more child...the name escaped me.

It is the fourth photo to the left, old lady Bitten Clausen hug crown prince Christian and crown princess Mary. She is oldest best friends to the late queen Ingrid. Bitten Clausen is good friends to royal family of Denmark. She is 94 year now.

I liked Christian's christening very much, so many moving moments.
For the name, I must say that I thought Frederik and Mary will break the tradition and choose another name, but it's a nice combination though.
The music during the ceremonie was also fairly well chosen and nice. It was cute that Haakon and MM held their hands so many times. For the outfits I specially liked Victoria's because it was so simple and modern at the same time.
And yes, I also have to agree with Marie-Chantal's belly, it might look that she's pregnant but the picture can be deceptive.

ysbel said:

Wow! The Royal Danes really know how to throw a party with over three hundred of their best friends! This was indeed one major event. :)

GlitteringTiaras said:
I thought she looked great, but the delicate light chiffon skirt worn in the dead of winter was a big no-no. Especially since it was freezing and the wind was kicking up.

Other than that it was a fantastic and moving service. Congrats to Prince Christian and may his life be filled with joy, happiness, and love.:)

Glittering, I'll have to wait until tonight to find the video online. Right now we are heading for the movies (to see Underworld: Evolution)
From the comments in here seems it was one memorable event. Although Mary does need a little help with the selection of outfits and accesories for her next public function she still was radiant on this one. Blue goes great on her.
See you all much later!

Last edited:
Liked what mary wore, except the pattern of the material of the skirt, it had a black horizontal line right across her backside and made it broad.

Laurentine looked like a private detective, a scottish material all over, including her hat.

Mette Marit and victoria looked very pretty.

Mathilde was dressed too old for her age, almost an identical look as anne marie.

Felt sorry for the youngest child of joachim and alexandria, he was visibly miserable perhaps a bit out of boredom but also because his mother was not sitting with them.

He looked miserable because he was sick with a cold.

Marie-Chantal looks pregnant.

Mary's outfit would have been fine for a Spring baptism. She should have worn Winter white. JMO

Are there videos of the baptism?

The christening looks like it was lovely! Frederik, Mary, and Christian all look so happy! (I really like Christian's name!) I think Mary's outfit was nice, but I'm not a big fan of the headpiece. It's great to see all of the other royals at the christening as well. I think their choice of godparents is excellent. They were able to include both sides of Christian's family and some other royals.

Emily :)

We seem to have been hijacked by speculation on Marie Chantal's figure.

If there is a need to discuss this please do so in the appropriate Forum.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

Citizen2005 said:
Mathilde and CR Victoria were SOOOOOOOOO elegant and their outfits are gorgeous.

Mary's color Jacket is very nice and suits her skintone...BUT that nice jacket and that nice skirt do not match each other.

And the hat:eek: ...what was she thinking...HORRIBLE hat and hair do:cool:

I totally agree, not the best head wear from Mary, and IMO the skirt & jacket do not go together at all, the jacket is too structured for that skirt. Mathilda look radiant and very polished as always and Vistoria's outfit is very nice. Although I think that Anne-Marie looks good in red, that outfit & hat don't do her any justice. Out of everyone, I thought that Laurentien & Marie Chantel looked the best.

I may be in the minority but I LOVED the headpiece. The silk flowers were beautiful and it really lightened up her face and made her glow. I loved the jacket but I didnt think the skirt was right for the occasion. I liked that she wore a warm colored outfit. It made her glow. Once again, I loved the headpiece. I think it is so beautiful who made it. At first I thought Marys sister was Mary. They look so much a like. I liked watching Princes Nikolai and Felix. They are so cute and it was nice seeing Prince Joachim interacting with them and playing with them. Alexandra was a show stopper like always. I cried watching it. The music was so moving and everyone was emotional. Prince Christian is so cute. He wasnt the cutest baby in the pictures but he is so cute now and his skin color is normal. It was very touching. Does anybody have any info on all the music played. Love the name too and that they used Henri instead of Henrik and John instead of the Danish version.

Back
Top Bottom