A Satirical Portrait of Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not particularly impressed with it.

how the royal family allow something like that, it is an insult, so low class, so terrible, discusting!

Wow. This is a little bit of a shocker! I don't think the Royal Family, particularly Federick and Mary, will be too impressed. That artist has alot of guts to create something like that, especially of a family who are so well-liked and respected by their country.

I don't find this funny at all. I honestly DO NOT see the humour in it...

This painting is almost a year old, and the discussion with it...lol.

am i the only one who finds that painting hilarious ?!!:ROFLMAO:

Me too. It's harmless.

Yes, I know. I just was away for...a long time lol.

No matter how old the painting and discussion of it may be, I still find it insulting. Isn't there supposed to be a level of respect towards another human being, if not towards the royal family? I'm generally a very humorous person, but there seems like a very thick line was crossed with this portrait, if you can call it that. It looks like it belongs more in the comics than on a wall, or (gasp and true horror) in a palace! :nonono::ohmy::eek:

My point exactly. I find nothing in this photo even NEAR funny.

It's disgusting.

No matter how old the painting and discussion of it may be, I still find it insulting. Isn't there supposed to be a level of respect towards another human being, if not towards the royal family? I'm generally a very humorous person, but there seems like a very thick line was crossed with this portrait, if you can call it that. It looks like it belongs more in the comics than on a wall, or (gasp and true horror) in a palace! :nonono::ohmy::eek:

Oh please!...lol...It wasn't painted with intent to hang in a Palace. It was a private commission painted with a humour that believe it or not, many Australian's would find exactly just that...humerous. Why? Because it's making light of a certain social demographic that, from outside the 'fish bowl' that is their world, is the universal parallel of their lives. It further suggests that besides all the pomp and ceremony, that they are people who themselves wear underwear, breastfeed and 'have a scratch' and a drink or two (gasp and horror...who'd have thought they're human..haha.).

It's a harmless painting, that happened to win a prize for it's satirical intent.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone that does find this funny, but I just don't see the humour in it.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian? lol

Lol. Maybe it is :p

It's all good though, you Aussies do have a great sense of humour. All my Aussie friends find this portrait funny, and all my Canadian friends don't get the humour in it. Lol.

actually i'm canadian and found it hilarious......maybe thats why i am heading to australia to live in a few wks, maybe my humour fits in better with that of the aussies =)

i really dont see what the big deal is with this painting:ermm:

if u cant laugh at yourself, then life is pretty boring..

I've been to Australia (have family there) and I find they do have a slightly better humour than us Canadians, but meh :p

Oh please!...lol...It wasn't painted with intent to hang in a Palace. It was a private commission painted with a humour that believe it or not, many Australian's would find exactly just that...humerous. Why? Because it's making light of a certain social demographic that, from outside the 'fish bowl' that is their world, is the universal parallel of their lives. It further suggests that besides all the pomp and ceremony, that they are people who themselves wear underwear, breastfeed and 'have a scratch' and a drink or two (gasp and horror...who'd have thought they're human..haha.).

It's a harmless painting, that happened to win a prize for it's satirical intent.

Trust me, I was VERY sarcastic about it hanging in a palace. But if anyone were to do it, wouldn't it be Queen Margrethe? :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I guess there's a definite nationality thing going on here, and as an English/American, I can say that I'm very loose lipped and outspoken, often vulgar, but I still have respect for royals. I guess it isn't the things that they are doing and what the painting is, rather than that it disrespects Mary and Fredrick, who will one day be King and Queen of Denmark. What would happen if Christian and Isabella were to see this a few years from now?

Would it be so funny to some people if it were QE@ and Philip? Or Charles and Camilla?

If it were me in the painting, I would find it hilarious, if it were Jennifer Aniston or Amy Winehouse, or Jade Goody, etc. But not people that should be getting a certain amount of respect because of their rank. Crown Prince and Crown Princess mean something, doesn't it?

That is all I have to say about it, and I think I may even go laugh at this painting now. lol. :flowers:

Trust me, I was VERY sarcastic about it hanging in a palace. But if anyone were to do it, wouldn't it be Queen Margrethe? :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I guess there's a definite nationality thing going on here, and as an English/American, I can say that I'm very loose lipped and outspoken, often vulgar, but I still have respect for royals. I guess it isn't the things that they are doing and what the painting is, rather than that it disrespects Mary and Fredrick, who will one day be King and Queen of Denmark. What would happen if Christian and Isabella were to see this a few years from now?

Would it be so funny to some people if it were QE@ and Philip? Or Charles and Camilla?

If it were me in the painting, I would find it hilarious, if it were Jennifer Aniston or Amy Winehouse, or Jade Goody, etc. But not people that should be getting a certain amount of respect because of their rank. Crown Prince and Crown Princess mean something, doesn't it?

That is all I have to say about it, and I think I may even go laugh at this painting now. lol. :flowers:

Actually in 1995 there was a sculpture of a nude QEII and Philip in Canberra and many Australians found that extremely funny as well. It was in a popular tourist part of the city.

Here is a link to a photo of the sculpture.

A Controversial Sculpture

The conversation from when the painting first came to light was along almost exactly the same lines as today's.
Different parts of the word have different senses of humour, none are better or worse than the other, just different, and this would certainly hold a lot of laughter appeal in Aussie.

I've had a quick look through for another thread about the painting, and can't find it, so the discussion must have taken place in the general news thread (thats my guess anyway).

it's quite an old picture and i don't think it should cause anger or disgust among the DRF's followers. it's obviously meant to cause no harm and as a "funny" intent rather than as an unrespectful one. the DRF did not release any statements expressing their discomfort with it during the time it appeared, so i guess they just took it as what it is: a simple painting.

She doesn´t look like a woman with sense of humor, she has that arrogant look, always.

it's quite an old picture and i don't think it should cause anger or disgust among the DRF's followers. it's obviously meant to cause no harm and as a "funny" intent rather than as an unrespectful one. the DRF did not release any statements expressing their discomfort with it during the time it appeared, so i guess they just took it as what it is: a simple painting.

They are pretty much used to satirical depictions of themselves :) There is a very old time-honoured tradition in Denmark to make special summer revues several places in the country and the royal family are sure to appear each time; a few Danish actors have made their fame mostly from their ability to portray the family - prince Henrik's girth, Frederik's love of speed, and our non-stop smoking queen in particular :D one of the 'queen Margrethe' actors is married to the queen's hairdresser and the couple is often invited to events at Amalienborg, so no hard feelings. I think the royal family is hard to shake with a bit of satirical wit ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I think the artist has a warped mind. I don't find the painting insulting or funny. I don't think an artist's work can reflect good or bad on the artist's subject, but it can reflect good or bad on the artist.

I took a few art classes in college. The main thing I learned is that art is in the eye of the beholder. Every piece of my art that I liked, the teacher hated, and every piece the teacher liked, I hated. But I had to do it the teacher's way to get the passing grade.

I understand the artist's point of view, and the humor behind it, but I think that this painting is ugly. The image of Frederik scratching himself is just icky. There is a way to be satirical without being vulgar, but the artist failed to paint the image without vulgarity.

the painted said ""I think Mary being Australian, she might have a bit of an ocker sense of humour, she might appreciate it."
sorry i don't think that they wll appreciated ! she didn't appreciate as how come with the couple !
a low class !

I understand the artist's point of view, and the humor behind it, but I think that this painting is ugly. The image of Frederik scratching himself is just icky. There is a way to be satirical without being vulgar, but the artist failed to paint the image without vulgarity.

I to do understand the artist's point of view, and love the humor behind in it. It is funny:lol:.

But i wouldn't have the painting hanging in my living. It is simply ugly. The motives isn't. But the painting is.

I don´t find the humour in it...but it´s just my opinion:ermm:

I agree with you, sgl.

She doesn´t look like a woman with sense of humor, she has that arrogant look, always.

You've clearly not seen, or have chosen to dismiss, the near hundreds of photo's of her smiling or laughing...:D

the painted said ""I think Mary being Australian, she might have a bit of an ocker sense of humour, she might appreciate it."
sorry i don't think that they wll appreciated ! she didn't appreciate as how come with the couple !
a low class !

Undoubtedly, Mary having lived the greater part of her life thus far as an Australian would certainly better appreciate the humour behind it, than those who, like yourself, are not Australian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom