Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And won't Zara be participating in the London Olympics 2012 in the equestrian events?

Whether Zara will make the team is yet to be determined. There will be a number of selection events and if she isn't good enough, or her horse has another breakdown as happened in 2004 and 2008 then she will miss out again.

Camilla, D of C has found a consistent and in my opinion, regal style. It is age appropriate and suits her station in life. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
Zara Phillips looked very much in love and although her dress was a tad long she looked happy and confident. The Princess Royal should take a page out of HM's book. She doesn't seem too fussed about fashion but her contessa skirt, " drapes from the downstairs lav" jacket and lack of appropriate head piece seemed a bit strange for her daughters wedding. The look on her face was of sheer pride which made up for her fashion blunder. Were Zara's earrings of any historial significance?

I wonder, do you sleep with your boxing gloves on? :boxing:

If there is a false choice (flattering vs. avant garde) in her posting, it came from me. Baroness was just responding to something I had written:
Yes, the dress could have been more flattering, but I still think she looked absolutely beautiful. In a choice between something avant garde and imaginative vs. a dress that is unquestionably pretty, I think she made the right choice from the moment she picked a designer. She was relaxed and happy and I think that is infinitely more important than making a fashion statement.

Loathe though I am to admit it, I probably do wear boxing gloves even in my sleep.

In both the Kate and Charlene discussion, somehow disliking the gown got boiled down to "you must dislike it because it's not cutting edge enough" and if you liked the gown, it got boiled down to "proud defender of traditional wedding gowns." Which is not the case, and definitely not the case here. (Most of the comments here seem to be about fit and/or suitability to body type, nothing to do the dress design itself but it was headed in the "you must dislike it because..." and that annoys me. I dislike the dress on Zara, but not because it's not edgy.)

JennahPc said:
Camilla, D of C has found a consistent and in my opinion, regal style. It is age appropriate and suits her station in life. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
Zara Phillips looked very much in love and although her dress was a tad long she looked happy and confident. The Princess Royal should take a page out of HM's book. She doesn't seem too fussed about fashion but her contessa skirt, " drapes from the downstairs lav" jacket and lack of appropriate head piece seemed a bit strange for her daughters wedding. The look on her face was of sheer pride which made up for her fashion blunder. Were Zara's earrings of any historial significance?

Never mind, just found the earrings in an engagement photo of her mother and Captain Mark Phillips from 1972. she has them paired with the Festoon Tiara. She looks stunning.

. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
I do not think Diana would purposely outshine the bride. She could not help it. She just looked stunning in any outfit she wore. The press focused on her- not her idea. In short she was Diana!
Quote from Diana, Memories of a Rose:
Diana on the telephone to a friend who invited her to be at her wedding, 1996:
" I will wear a paper bag. then everybody will focus on you!":lol:
Not exactly the kind of comment one would make if one planned to outshine the bride, IMO.

Diana had "It" .... And "It" has nothing to do with beauty. It's an indescribable "thing" that one has! She could have worn a sack and she would have turned heads

I think Zara looked stunning on her wedding day. She chose a gown not to please everyone else or the fashion critics but one that "felt right" for her and I think she did a fantastic job!

I think roseroyal and suztav hit the nail on the head. Diana just had a presence. She couldn't help who she was or how people reacted towards her.

I think Zara looked stunning on her wedding day. She chose a gown not to please everyone else or the fashion critics but one that "felt right" for her and I think she did a fantastic job!

I can not agree more strongly! Zara did look stunning, her gown was classic, elegant and beautiful. She and Mike radiated joy and I actually enjoyed the little I could see of this wedding more than I did the Cambridge Wedding in April.

I never thougt i would say this, but i think Princess Beatrice was the best dressed in this wedding. A perfect outfit for here and the colour was just amazing:)

And why not ..... the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals .... and where did Bea and Eug get at least some of her looks from?
Their mother.

I never thougt i would say this, but i think Princess Beatrice was the best dressed in this wedding. A perfect outfit for here and the colour was just amazing:)

It was a beautiful shade Princess Luna and rather complimentary for Princess Beatrice.

Diana had "It" .... And "It" has nothing to do with beauty. It's an indescribable "thing" that one has! She could have worn a sack and she would have turned heads

I do dislike disagreeing, but had Diana not become engaged to Charles, she would have drifted into the shadows. Her "it-ness" was created by the media.

:previous:LOL. Right you are, Renata. I was attempting to relate to the youngsters. I'm old as dirt.

And why not ..... the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals .... and where did Bea and Eug get at least some of her looks from?
Their mother.

Fascinating. I thought the BRF was known for being almost comically unattractive and marrying in good looks.

" the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals" I have never heard anything remotely close to this said of the BRF.

Well Fascinator, I agree. I would call most of the Royal Family normal looking people (even women on their best days I would call them at most handsome). There are some exceptions, of course (as in all families)- a handful of true beauties (born or married into the family).

PS: Handsome meaning pleasant to look at.

Fascinating. I thought the BRF was known for being almost comically unattractive and marrying in good looks.

" the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals" I have never heard anything remotely close to this said of the BRF.

That's quite funny, yet sadly true! Princess Eugenie is quite pretty though.

Well Fascinator, I agree. I would call most of the Royal Family normal looking people (even women on their best days I would call them at most handsome). There are some exceptions, of course (as in all families)- a handful of true beauties (born or married into the family).

PS: Handsome meaning pleasant to look at.

It is true that the "pretty" genes of the BRF married into it, providing the family with some better looking individuals (Prince's William and Harry being examples, inheriting some of the Spencer genes, thank god.)

I like that Zara and Mike are waiting for a honeymoon. Shows they are committed to their jobs.

Last edited:
The Queen as a young woman was extremely pretty - in fact she was beautiful but I do think that people only see the old woman now and forget just how beautiful she was in the 40s and 50s (in her 20s and 30s).

The Queen as a young woman was extremely pretty - in fact she was beautiful but I do think that people only see the old woman now and forget just how beautiful she was in the 40s and 50s (in her 20s and 30s).

That is true, Elizabeth was a really beautiful young woman, as was Princess Margaret. It's a shame Elizabeth's children aren't quite as pretty/handsome as she was in her earlier years. Prince Edward's daughter looks incredibly like Queen Elizabeth so let's hope she'll be just as pretty as the Queen in her later years.

I think Elizabeth was pretty when she was young. Margaret was pretty, too. Her mother and father were not attractive. Charles is not attractive, I am being kind and never was, Anne, when she was younger wasn't bad in some pictures, but now she is a Hanover, through and through, which is no benefit. Andrew was a nice looking young man, as was his brother Edward. Not much, today, but we all fade. Harry is better looking than William, but William is fine. Looks somewhat like his mother, but, of course, she was lovely.

Let's get back on topic...the actual wedding of Zara and Mike.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Touch choice between Catherine and Sophie but I chose Sophie, even if it has tentacles. It was lovely.

I do agree Molly, Catherine and Sophie were the front runners. However I did rather like Linda Tindall's hat. Quite dainty and it suited her perfectly. HM also had a beautiful hat. I just loved the salmon shade.

Last edited:
I voted for The Countess of Wessex - it was the first hat I saw at the wedding and I love the shape of it. Since it was so similar, I also liked The Duchess of Cambridge's hat but it loses points for me because it was so plain on the outside. I'm almost embarassed to say that I actually liked Katherine Kelly's hat (though I would say it was a tad too big.)

Back
Top Bottom