Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both DM and CNN and People Magazine reported that canapes, champagne and luncheon were served in an elaborate tent at Royal Lodge directly after the wedding.

At night there was a formal dinner at Royal Lodge with Andrew and the groom making toasts

In other words the fact that the queen had an engagement to rush off to does not mean there the celebration ended.

Whatever you want to say about the Yorks, they took circumstances that were challenging at best and horrible at worst...and produced what is perhaps the most romantic and poignant Royal wedding in a generation. It had none of the pomp, celebrities, or crowds
of the other weddings but combined romance and simplicity to outclass them all. Simply my opinion of course.

After all the years of unkind bullying comments online and in print about her granddaughter's looks, fashion sense, love life, bad fortune etc...the queen herself stepped in to act as Fairy Godmother to Cinderella Beatrice and give her a dream wedding that a few Royal women could secretly even envy.

As someone who always roots for the under dog I couldn't be more thrilled.;)

I think it was an amazing Wedding. And one I think many would wish for if possible.

I don't think she is Cinderella though and she wand her sister are to be admired with how they have dealt with the frankly sexist, misogynistic, shallow press and have never let it steer them of course or change who they are. Testament to their stable, happy childhood. Something some others were not privileged to have.

The couple look really happy and the dress is a nice touch but for me the puffy sleeves don't work that well with the dress nor does the tiara (great honor but imho doesn't fit well with the dress and hair). The tiara the queen wore with the dress might have been a better option - but I like the thought of this tiara being used for the most senior princess of each generation. We'll have to see whether Charlotte thinks alike :)

The gown was lengthened for Princess Beatrice. After a closer look, there's noticeable seam and different fabric.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...2595bfd6d14d0b862c5414ba215aa7d86b469b612.jpg

The dress (far left) at an exhibition in 2006. No seam.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...f435d9789329b27e29ffd68d3adf2e184e6291708.jpg

If they lengthened it, why leave it up hanging quite a few cm from the floor? It seemed 'just to short'. Adding an inch would have given it a much better look.

It is also noteworthy that Wolfie wasn't in any of the pictures. I assume he was there but his parents seem to be very protective of him, so no surprise that he is left out of the released wedding pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beatrice and Edo look so happy, beautiful wedding photos. Wearing one of the Queen's altered vintage Hartnell dresses and the same wedding tiara worn by Queen Elizabeth to her own wedding is a very touching tribute from Beatrice to her grandmother. I'm so curious to know how that collaboration came about. Congratulations to Edo and Beatrice!!

Is it true that the wedding was officiated by Queen Elizabeth II's personal chaplain Mark Poll?

Canon Martin Poll is Canon Precentor of St George's Windsor and Chaplain to the Great Park, meaning he's the one who usually oversees All Saints. This is where they Queen often worships when she's at Windsor so he's presumably what amounts to her local vicar, as well as anyone else who lives/works/worships at the Chapel.

The other priest present was the Sub Dean of the Chapels Royal Paul Wright (The Dean of the Chapels Royal being the Bishop of London), where they were originally planning to get married in May and where they generally live. It also means he's the only full time member of the clergy in the Royal Household, although I believe the Queen has other official Chaplains in Scotland as well.

It was Rev Paul Wright's young son you can see help place Bea's flowers on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The hastily deleted pictures were beautiful. I especially like the silhouette one. I suppose they were supposed to be kept private or released later? They'd get a hell of a drumming if they went to Hello! like Peter and Autumn.

Last edited:
I think this is probably one of my favorite royal weddings.

So simple and yet elegant and stunning. The dress, the tiara, the colors are just beautiful. The York girls had beautiful weddings.

lovely pictures. the flower decorations on the entrance of the church look magnificent against the stone! gorgeous. i also love that beatrice wore the lovely fringe tiara. has she ever worn (at least in public) a tiara before?

sweet detail to use QE's old dress. i wouldn't say it is my favourite, but the fact that she chose to honour her in such a special day speaks a lot as to their close bond.

It is being reported that the decision to "strike" was made immediately after the British government announced new guidelines for weddings....and that the entire thing was put together by Sarah Duchess of York ...in two weeks!:ohmy:

yes, you're right. the government released the new guidelines for weddings on 29th June, so two weeks seems about right for the preparation. they clearly were eagerly awaiting for the announcement to do it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ce-for-small-marriages-and-civil-partnerships

in other matters, i am most confused/surprised that the press is referring to edo as Mr Mapelli Mozzi - surely it is Count Mapelli Mozzi?! the fact that it isn't a british title should make no difference.

Buckingham Palace have released two of the three pictures Edo posted an hour ago; perhaps he’s now one hour ahead of the U.K.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind betting the York girls and Zara had shared their evolving wedding dreams with their grandmother from the time they were little girls. Almost all little girls like to play dress up and I am quite sure they enjoyed being allowed to see their grandmother's collection and I wouldn't mind getting HM knew that Beatrice loved that gown. That is not to say either of them ever imagined that Beatrice would have a wedding quite like this anyway.

With the arrival of Covid-19, I doubt her wedding gown got any further than the drawing board or perhaps the toile. To those who think her gown had yellowed with age it is not. It was made from ivory Peau De Sole taffeta and added ivory satin. As to the tiara? IMO it looked wonderful on her and, with the vintage gown, created a wonderful retro wedding look.

Having no end in sight for Covid-19 and consequent restrictions, I believe they decided to live in the moment when those they love are still around and go ahead and get married. I think that is what's important to them . . . . . the marriage not "the wedding". Now they can set up an official home and, should they so desire, start a family.

As to the royal tiaras, Catherine's choice of the Halo Scroll packed way above its weight. Zara choosing her mother's Greek key tiara way a nod both to her mother and her grandfather since the tiara originally belonged to his mother, Princess Alice. Meghan's Diamond Bandeau with its central detachable diamond brooch was in perfect sync with her gown and specifically, her veil which was where the action was. (an ornate tiara such as the Grand Duchess Vladimir in its emerald configuration would have looked absurd). Eugenie's choice of the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik tiara was an inspired choice as she needed a tiara with enough impact to carry the dress and balance the effect so as to allow her surgical scar to make a statement in lieu of a veil.

Pity we have to wait so long until Lady Louise's wedding.

The photo of Edoardo and Beatrice in silhouette took my breath away. Beatrice in particular looks very Disney Princess in that shot.?

The more I look at the dress the more it seems to match the tiara, its almost a similar fringe pattern down the front that is echoed in the fringe of diamonds on the tiara.

I think this was a lovely low key wedding perfect for the couple, I'd been hoping Beatrice would marry at the Royal Chapel of All Saints and it was my original prediction of venue (though sad it ended up there rather than their first choice) I do think though this wedding reflects that their original planned wedding would have been quite small by "royal wedding" standards. We know the St James' chapel only sits around 150 and I think the fact they were happy to have this small quiet wedding reflects that, yes Covid has got in the way, but also that actually it quite suited them having to have a smaller wedding.

in other matters, i am most confused/surprised that the press is referring to edo as Mr Mapelli Mozzi - surely it is Count Mapelli Mozzi?! the fact that it isn't a british title should make no difference.

Edo has never referred to himself as a count, and he is not legally a count in Britain or Italy. You will find further details and pages of discussion in the Questions about British Styles and Titles thread.

Is Edo Catholic? A tweet on twitter says this is the first time the provisions from the Successions to the Crown Act have been operative?

Edo has posted the pictures again with a lovely quote. Beatrice found herself a very romantic man.

Is Edo Catholic? A tweet on twitter says this is the first time the provisions from the Successions to the Crown Act have been operative?

I don't think we have an official confirmation either way. It's possible people are assuming he is based on his very Italian name and the fact that his father is.

However it's entirely possible that if he was christened (and confirmed) it was C of E due to his mother's family.

The Success to the Crown Act was operative in restoring various Kents who had married Catholics to the line of succession. Though this might be the first time it happened *without* restoring anyone.

We might get confirmation of it soon or we might have to wait and see if anything is said if/when they have children.

Wow, what a surprise she choose one of her grandmother' dress, I think it is incredible thoughtful when we know she has access to have a custom made dress for her . Is the veil from her grandma too?
She did not have the underskirt that the Queen had when she use it , it was more relax. What I can not see in the old photos is if the bottom part of the skirt is new ? I like the adding of the sleeves though I might had choose different design for the sleeves , Still she looks gorgeous , no earing, no necklace, that was a surprise too and I can see in some photos her shoes are not white , beige may be?
I was sad that they choose to have the wedding in the pandemic I would have loved to wait and see the glamourous wedding that she would had have in normal circumstances
Any photo of how is the church inside? I love all the flowers outside1 that is a dream to have so much flowers decorating the church outside, that must cost a fortune!
I am glad they release ome photos, hope it is more to come

I wouldn't mind betting the York girls and Zara had shared their evolving wedding dreams with their grandmother from the time they were little girls. Almost all little girls like to play dress up and I am quite sure they enjoyed being allowed to see their grandmother's collection and I wouldn't mind getting HM knew that Beatrice loved that gown. That is not to say either of them ever imagined that Beatrice would have a wedding quite like this anyway.

With the arrival of Covid-19, I doubt her wedding gown got any further than the drawing board or perhaps the toile. To those who think her gown had yellowed with age it is not. It was made from ivory Peau De Sole taffeta and added ivory satin. As to the tiara? IMO it looked wonderful on her and, with the vintage gown, created a wonderful retro wedding look.

Having no end in sight for Covid-19 and consequent restrictions, I believe they decided to live in the moment when those they love are still around and go ahead and get married. I think that is what's important to them . . . . . the marriage not "the wedding". Now they can set up an official home and, should they so desire, start a family.

As to the royal tiaras, Catherine's choice of the Halo Scroll packed way above its weight. Zara choosing her mother's Greek key tiara way a nod both to her mother and her grandfather since the tiara originally belonged to his mother, Princess Alice. Meghan's Diamond Bandeau with its central detachable diamond brooch was in perfect sync with her gown and specifically, her veil which was where the action was. (an ornate tiara such as the Grand Duchess Vladimir in its emerald configuration would have looked absurd). Eugenie's choice of the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik tiara was an inspired choice as she needed a tiara with enough impact to carry the dress and balance the effect so as to allow her surgical scar to make a statement in lieu of a veil.

Pity we have to wait so long until Lady Louise's wedding.

I sincerely doubt Zara ever dreamed of anything but horses and certainly not with her mother. Hardly a girlie girl.

For some reason I doubt Eugenie did either but i can see Beatrice bring interested in this stuff.

With all due respect we need to stop this gender stereotyping. Many men are far more interested in having the 'do' than their female partners. It doesn't matter, people should be interested in it if they want to be. Or not interested in it if that is what they want. I have heard numerous stories of the men being groomzillas while their partners were just going along with it.

If Louise chooses to get married, I hope she does whatever she wants.

So this was a private wedding but every bit the wedding of a Princess of the blood.

A classic dress: I do not think that any designer would have been able to recreate the gown with the same exquisite detail as the original.

The tiara: This was the biggest sign that Beatrice is blood and not a married in. I am sure certain previous brides would have given their right arm to be able to wear this particular tiara on their wedding day.

Andrew: He was apparently there and did everything that is expected of the father of the bride. The only pictures released show just the bridge and groom, along with the MOST important members of the BRF (The sovereign and her consort)-- looking like they could not have been any happier of prouder of their granddaughter.

Not according to the Daily Express, for whatever that's worth:

"However, the Duke of York’s office have told Express.co.uk that Mr Mappeli Mozzi is an Anglican, although details of his Anglican baptism were not confirmed. Added to this, Edoardo’s parents Alessandro and Nicola “Nikki” Burrows, now Williams-Ellis, were married in the Church of England."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...rdo-mapelli-mozzi-religion-catholic-royal-spt

They photos took my breath away so sweet and glamorous. Withe the Queen to. the side very touching

I think this was the dress she always was planning to wear - she seems to be very close to her grandparents and this is a lovely touch

The flowers round the church door are stunning - perfect English summer wedding look

This might be my fave royal wedding - I wish we had more pictures and details but maybe that's why I like it so much. There's secrecy and romance to it which makes it fascinating.

I think this was the dress she always was planning to wear - she seems to be very close to her grandparents and this is a lovely touch

The flowers round the church door are stunning - perfect English summer wedding look

This might be my fave royal wedding - I wish we had more pictures and details but maybe that's why I like it so much. There's secrecy and romance to it which makes it fascinating.

I've been thinking it's one of my favourites and didn't really know why. I think it might be because we don't really know too many details, but the ones we do know are simple (by Royal standards) sweet and romantic. And the fact that they decided to just go ahead with it ASAP without the hoopla so they could be sure to share it with her grandparents is delightful. Albeit it solved some other issues as well.

Funny, i 'd never had thought that Beatrice would get married in such a sweet, romantic dress... She's always so bold and daring in her fashion choices... But she looks beautiful, the dress, the flowers, the tiara... I wish them a long and happy life together!!!

I've been thinking it's one of my favourites and didn't really know why. I think it might be because we don't really know too many details, but the ones we do know are simple (by Royal standards) sweet and romantic. And the fact that they decided to just go ahead with it ASAP without the hoopla so they could be sure to share it with her grandparents is delightful. Albeit it solved some other issues as well.

It may be a new trend, that royal weddings, except for the heir.. will become private ones again.

It's made some other royal weddings seem rather vulgar and over the top.

I mean William never had a choice. But really we didn't need that wedding for Harry.

It's made some other royal weddings seem rather vulgar and over the top.

I mean William never had a choice. But really we didn't need that wedding for Harry.

William is the heirr to the heir. I think the heir's wedding is always going to be a big thing unless the public gets so bored with the RF that they don't even enjoy an occasional big wedding for a senior member...If it comes to that, then the monarchy will problaby go anyway

Back
Top Bottom