Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything in this wedding is utterly likeable.... IMO just what a wedding (after all, the commitment of two people) shoud be.

I loved the dress before realising it's history and I imagine the Queen felt very honoured. My favourite tiara (probably because it's the first one I remember seeing). I wonder if the veil is vintage as well?

Beatrice looks amazing! OMG! She is simply gorgeous. She & Edo look so happy! I’m so thrilled for them.

Easily my favorite gown. The tiara is amazing. Everything about her look screams love. I think she made a terrific choice. Well done, Bea!

Last edited:
So many people and the press make this secret wedding about this reason or that reason I say well done by the york family. I love the simplicity of event and the dress and tiara take it over the top. The best royal wedding in my humble opinion. I wish I was a fly on the wall.

Didnt Princess Anne wear her mother's wedding tiara when she married Mark Phillips?

Absolutely beautiful and romantic what a special nod to her grandmother

So many tributes to her grandmother today. You can see how much she values her grandparents, it's no wonder she made do with a smaller-scale wedding so she could be assured they would be alive to attend her nuptials.

I love her dress choice. You don't get more royal than Norman Hartnell, he designed the wedding dresses of the Queen, Margaret, and Alice Gloucester. And in a way this comes full circle for him. His first royal assignment was Alice's wedding dress, then the death of Alice's father cancelled her big Westminster Abbey wedding and made it into a small-scale wedding instead. Now in his last royal assignment from beyond the grave, Beatrice had a larger wedding get turned into a smaller one last minute due to circumstances too. An interesting book end for his royal career that strongly parallels his start.

Last edited:
This is a link to the Queen wearing the dress to the Opening of Laurence of Arabia in 1962 https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a33348114/princess-beatrice-wedding-dress/

Beatrice's modifications include adding the puffy sleeves to cover the shoulders ... but easy to remove and the addition of the band at the bottom to make it longer to allow for Bea's extra height.

I love the dress and was delighted with the tiara choose - not only because The Queen wore it to her wedding but because Queen Mary had it made from a necklace that she had been given by Queen Victoria ... so the link to Queen Victoria is there.

I do love the photos. I was only expecting one with the couple and hoped for one with the Queen and Philip. I wasn't expecting any more.

I love everything about the whole look. The vintage dress is a great idea and the warm ivory shade suits Beatrice's colouring perfectly. Wearing her grandmother's wedding tiara rather than her mother's is a splendid choice both from a design perspective and a sentimental one. This tiara also means that the comparison photos in the media will predominantly be of HMQ's wedding rather than Sarah and Andrew's.

The flowers are gorgeous and much more what I was expecting than the ones posted by the local florist (which I really dislike). The colours are summery, beautifully toned and arranged. The bouquet is charming and fits the vintage look, which is still a fashionable trend in weddings.

I think Beatrice has scored an ace and I'm pleased for her that the strong links with HMQ give the wedding a special quality that I hope compensates for any disappointments endured due to the postponement and the press coverage of her father's problems.

Didnt Princess Anne wear her mother's wedding tiara when she married Mark Phillips?

Yes. Anne wore it on her wedding day as well. Since the queen wore it for her wedding, only Anne and Beatrice have been loaned its use.

So wonderful to see the queen not only loan her the dress, but a tiara which is very much associated with the queen. Wearing the tiara her grandmother wore on her wedding day must have been such a wonderful feeling for Bea.

I remember when Eugenie got engaged and everyone was so about 'they can only wear the York tiara, they have access to no other tiaras'. The queen proved that wrong with Eugenie. But blew that out of the water with Beatrice wearing one of her personal pieces.

I don't think the York tiara was sold. One of the girls has spoken of it. And I think it would have made news if it had been sold off. Honestly its not the most attractive tiara. The girls likely simply chose to wear one of the tiaras their grandmother was willing to loan them, instead of the York tiara.

The gown is beautiful. I had hoped she would go with a vintage style dress, and I got one better, an actual vintage dress.

Beatrice and Edo are both radiating happiness. :flowers:

I love they got a small but beautiful wedding together. And they can enjoy a party later on.

So as far as British royal wedding dresses among the queen's granddaughters/in laws my favorite to least

1. Beatrice
2. Eugenie
3. Meghan
4. Kate
5. Zara
6. Autumn

I have never been a lace fan, I always loved the more architectural gowns. And I love Beatrice's vintage. Zara would have placed above Kate for me except the bottom of the dress bothered me. Neither dress fit that great.

Last edited:
Both the bride and the groom appear to have wedding rings on. I wonder if that indicates they decided to be married in the normal Common Worship wedding service (as seen in the Sussex wedding) rather than the older Series One alternative service (as seen in the Cambridge and Brooksbank weddings), seeing as in the Series One service only the groom gives a ring to his spouse.

The flowers are probably my favorite part of the wedding....the pic in the arch is gorgeous!

I love the idea of borrowing a dress from 'granny' and Hartnell did some great dresses. This isn't my favorite dress or tiara but she looks wonderful in them!

LaRae

Andrew isn't actually known to have done anything other than have some very questionable friends and to have given a very ill-judged interview. The press are carrying on as if he's Jack The Ripper.

Andrew has been accused of A LOT more than that and we all know it. It's better he stay in the background and not ruin Bea's big day.

Her dress looks like an old yellow rag with a horrible big hem.

I just adore these photos! Bea looks so happy and lovely. This seems to be the best wedding-to-couple match of recent royal weddings. The vintage gown, tiara and loose hair, and flowers, the intimacy...its just the loveliest wedding for the times we are living in. I bet Angella Kelly had a blast bringing back one of HM's old gowns, and what wonderful condition it is in. There are so many amazing gowns locked away in storage...I hope this inspires Ms. Kelly to bring some more out for the younger generation.

I remember when Eugenie got engaged and everyone was so about 'they can only wear the York tiara, they have access to no other tiaras'. The queen proved that wrong with Eugenie. But blew that out of the water with Beatrice wearing one of her personal pieces.

I don't think the York tiara was sold. One of the girls has spoken of it. And I think it would have made news if it had been sold off. Honestly its not the most attractive tiara. The girls likely simply chose to wear one of the tiaras their grandmother was willing to loan them, instead of the York tiara.

Completely agree. I am probably in the minority who don't want and don't think Eugenie and Beatrice will wear the York tiara. You may say the York sisters are minor royal but hey, they are the Queen's granddaughter.

Let me guess, the next wearer of QM Fringe will be Charlotte. I can see a family tradition is created ?

I love the gown, not only because it's from her grandma but also it fits Beatrice perfectly. The sleeves are so Beatrice and remind me her mother's dress and I love it.

'wonderful condition'? Sorry, it looks like an old rag.

I liked Bea's dress. Though I though she already had a dress made up for the wedding she was planning. And I liked the tiara. I even liked the flowers though lots of people didn't.

Whatever anyone may think of Andrew and Sarah —. You have to give them credit as parents. They have raised two lovely daughters without a hint of scandal from either girl. In addition, both daughters seem fiercely loyal to their parents. Not too shabby!

I liked Bea's dress. Though I though she already had a dress made up for the wedding she was planning. And I liked the tiara. I even liked the flowers though lots of people didn't.

There were rumours that no one wanted to make her gown and she was even planning on making it herself.

I suspect if that was the case then The Queen may have stepped in and suggested a dress from her collection and this was it.

Given it had to be adjusted and the covid restrictions it is possible that it was already being altered before lock down and the final pieces done in the past few weeks.

I love the dress and it is in excellent condition. Silk doesn't remain white, even with the best of care.

There were rumours that no one wanted to make her gown and she was even planning on making it herself.

I suspect if that was the case then The Queen may have stepped in and suggested a dress from her collection and this was it.

Given it had to be adjusted and the covid restrictions it is possible that it was already being altered before lock down and the final pieces done in the past few weeks.

I love the dress and it is in excellent condition. Silk doesn't remain white, even with the best of care.

Pure rumours. Just like that Andrew wouldn’t attend or that it had to be delayed and so on. People speculating as her dad is in trouble. If they wanted to make it remotely believable should have left out the laughable suggestion she would sew it herself.

No designer would turn down the publicity of a royal wedding dress.

Either

Beatrice wanted to wear one of her grandmothers dresses and they chose this

Or

She was having a gown done but because of the covid it wasn’t done in time. And having alterations done by the queens staff was quicker to handle. Custom gowns from scratch take a lot of time and usually not just worked on by one.

Last edited:
the dress

I see several people have liked Beatrice's dress. personally , I don't. it looks very....dated. JMHO. as long as they are happy, I am delighted for them! and Bea certainly won the TIARA STAKES.

She never looked more beautiful. I do believe the dress is gorgeous, and doesn’t really need the sleeves but maybe it does for the church. Otherwise, why not? I don’t understand the comments about the dress being yellowed from age. I am sure the queen wouldn’t let that happen, and I didn’t see any evidence of it. Such lovely sumptuous flowers which really help her complexion. What a wedding gift this pandemic has been for her in many ways. The tiara seems placed a bit in front but really suits her, even with her hair down.

Silk doesn't remain a shiny white - like all natural fibres so it is natural that the dress is less pristine white and more creamy in colour as that is the nature of silk.

They had to add sleeves as it is well known that the Queen doesn't approve wedding dresses without shoulders being covered. She doesn't really like anyone going to church without their shoulders covered.

I suspect that was the dress intended to wear on her original date. The sleeves look removable, would have been a great look for an evening reception!

Beatrice is absolutely beautiful! Her Majesty's altered dress and Queen Mary's tiara are very appropriate for another generation's "first daughter" to wear. Edo and Beatrice are beaming with joy! So very happy for them both! God bless!

The more i see the dress the more i like it, and I am rarely into vintage. Angela Kelly and Stewart Parvin altered that gown beautifully. I especially love the short puff sleeves. The champagne color with matching veil is perfect for the bride's skin and hair. It is incidentally the same colour chosen by Sarah when she married in July 1986. I still wish Beatrice had worn an upsweep but i don't blame her for wanting to show off her glorious head of hair.

I cannot get over the fact that HM lent her own wedding tiara. Only her daughter Princess Anne was similarly honored. Very impressive!

I had nightmares about seeing Beatrice in one of Vivienne Westwood's "cheeky" designs and I
am so relieved I was wrong. She looked like a perfect fairy tale Royal bride...well done!

Her floral arrangements-along with those of Harry and Meghan in 2018, are the most beautiful of any of the recent British Royal weddings imo.

I would love to see a photo of the wedding cake...pretty please???

When I read that the bridal couple spent their wedding night in a specially constructed, lavish tent on the grounds of Royal Lodge I was taken aback at first...then enchanted. Very romantic.

I had to go back and re-read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 and e.e. cummings "I Carry You In My Heart" to remind myself of how utterly romantic they are...perfect for any wedding.

Last edited:

I would agree, except for the fact that neither daughter wore it (York tiara).
I could see if one didn't, but both?

So I have to believe the tiara is no longer available to wear.

Back
Top Bottom