Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loved the photos that were released. Her grandmother's Queen Mary tiara and refitted wedding gown look beautiful on Beatrice. I didn't know her now husband had a little boy either. I wish them all the best for the future!

I thought she was a beautifull bride I loved the flowers gown the tiara the whole picture was romantic and charming I hope they are very happy together

I thought the glittery gown with the sprays of gems/sequins/whatever matched beautifully with the tiara with the diamond sprays. I wish the Queen had more granddaughters to raid Granny’s closet for their wedding days.

Well - this is possibly going to the last royal wedding we see for a while. Unless Peter Philips has ideas. The next big one will be George.

But I do expect Louise and James might even be smaller and more private then this.

Hopefully when Louise and James eventually get married, we won't be in the middle of a pandemic so they will have more of a say in the number of guests they are allowed. I can imagine their weddings will be on a similar scale to Eugenie's back in 2018. They are grandchidlren of HM after all, regardless of their place in the succession.

I think it is easy to live in the moment and evaluate everything by "now". Harry and Meghan's wedding itself (media hype aside) was exactly what was wanted, as indeed was Eugenie and Jack's. I think we were all jaded and just "wanted".

After the hype of Covid-19, the lull followed by the awful and horrific reality of it, and rapidly realising the future is fluid and the fears of what lies ahead in this"new normal", Beatrice and Edo's wedding was a wonderful surprise and the sight of Bea and Edo peeking out the church was quite enchanting. The formal photo taken with her grandparents was also a wonderful idea. A perfect "snapshot" of a Covid-19 wedding. In this time of pandemic induced worries, and changes (hopefully temporary) the BRF has shown that you can still get married even if your dream wedding is replaced by a new dream. There is still hope, love and joy to be had.

I wonder how many wedding dresses hanging in cupboards are being hauled out and checked out. Perhaps wearing your mother's or a friend or other relative's dress will become a thing as could a reception at home?

A wonder where they will honeymoon . . . there are several sweet cottages at Sandringham or Balmoral.

Hopefully when Louise and James eventually get married, we won't be in the middle of a pandemic so they will have more of a say in the number of guests they are allowed. I can imagine their weddings will be on a similar scale to Eugenie's back in 2018. They are grandchidlren of HM after all, regardless of their place in the succession.

I would think they will be more on a par with Peter's or Zara's. By the time they marry they will probably be the niece and nephew of the monarch rather than the grandchildren.

I wouldn't expect TV coverage other than of arrivals and departures ... but given the way this wedding has been received I can see Charles even preferring this for future weddings for minor royals so no announcement in advance and just a couple of photos released afterwards.

If Charles is definitely going to have a smaller royal family I can't see him approving a Eugenie scale wedding for Louise or James.

If Charles is definitely going to have a smaller royal family I can't see him approving a Eugenie scale wedding for Louise or James.

I think a lot of it will depend on how useful he considers Edward and Sophie over the next decade or so, and what the public mood is. Also, in recent years, we have had quite a lot of royal weddings (Peter, William, Zara, Harry, Eugenie, Gabriella and Beatrice), but in a decade, there may well be an appetite for a royal wedding that does not cost the taxpayer much, yet has some of the pomp and splendor that a wedding at St George's brings, perhaps like that of Peter and Autumn.

Last edited:
I would think they will be more on a par with Peter's or Zara's. By the time they marry they will probably be the niece and nephew of the monarch rather than the grandchildren.

Probably? I would say for 99,99% they will be.

I wouldn't expect TV coverage other than of arrivals and departures ... but given the way this wedding has been received I can see Charles even preferring this for future weddings for minor royals so no announcement in advance and just a couple of photos released afterwards.

I rather see official engagement announcement and later wedding date; I hope there will be no special circumstances as with Beatrice's wedding.
I think there will also be first pregnancy and later birth of their children's announcements.
Only about babies' christening we will probably know post factum.

Here I agree with you.

This wedding is a novelty and a delightful surprise in the midst of a pandemic and the problem of Andrew and it goes against the image the Yorks have in general. If weddings were never announced in the future except for George then I'm sure there would be the usual complaints from the press, not "oh isn't that perfect!". I don't see enough interest for any sort of TV coverage except for the Cambridges but the usual photographers will want to get arrivals and other pictures because it still sells papers and magazines. And there would also be complaints about the family being aloof and not transparent enough.

Bea and Edo's original wedding was still announced, even though it was post car crash interview and everything else with her father. It was definitely smaller in size partly to reflect that, partly because it seemed to be what the bride and groom wanted.

Even if James and Louise didn't officially announce we would still probably find out beforehand unless it is literally the same thing as Bea's. You can't send out even 150 invitations much less up to a few hundred to wedding without someone leaking it to the press and especially if there's a party planned for a venue that isn't Bagshot. And in that case it's better to announce details yourself and try and control speculation. And you know, regular people announce engagements and births to the public all the time, so it's not just a royal thing.

I truly can't see the BRF only having 20 people for weddings in the future, unless it's something the bride and groom choose for themselves. Eugenie's was an outlier in terms of TV coverage and carriage ride etc for a non Wales but I also don't think we can say that Charles is going to deny or control his niece and nephew this, that and the other 10-20 years in the future. The best we can say is it probably opened up some more options in the minds of the public and maybe the family, on what a royal wedding looks like.

Last edited:
IMO there wont be taht many public royal weddings. The Press will get a few pics but there isn't the public interest any more for every princess to have a big day.. There were complaints about Eugenie's wedding, and IMO most royal weddings now apart from the heirs will be fairly private.. The press may go for a few pics outside the church and they may release a few more pics afterwards.. and that will be it.

I thought the glittery gown with the sprays of gems/sequins/whatever matched beautifully with the tiara with the diamond sprays. I wish the Queen had more granddaughters to raid Granny’s closet for their wedding days.

The Queen still has one unmarried granddaughter.

I think a lot of it will depend on how useful he considers Edward and Sophie over the next decade or so, and what the public mood is. Also, in recent years, we have had quite a lot of royal weddings (Peter, William, Zara, Harry, Eugenie, Gabriella and Beatrice), but in a decade, there may well be an appetite for a royal wedding that does not cost the taxpayer much, yet has some of the pomp and splendor that a wedding at St George's brings, perhaps like that of Peter and Autumn.

I suppose it will depend on what will happen to James and Louise's titles and styles. If they remain styled as children of a peer, then they will have a private wedding along the lines of Peter's or Zara's. If they become HRHs after Edward becomes the next Duke of Edinburgh, then they might get a wedding along the lines of Edward and Sophie's.

It is unlikely, however, that the Queen's decision not to style them as HRHs will be reversed, even though the 1917 LPs technically are still in force.

Re: Honeymoon for Beatrice/Edo ...I heard they plan to go to Italy in the future for a honeymoon.

I think this was the last Royal wedding until George marries. Louise and James are, according to the parents (Sophie more recently commented I think) going to be private citizens so I expect their wedding to be along the lines of Zara's or Gabriellas etc.

So at least for the BRF we have a long wait...figure around 20 years, I hope to be around to see it!

LaRae

Louise and James will likely have a wedding like Zara and Peter. The Cambridge children will get the next big weddings on that major scale. And that makes sense.

The dress Beatrice has worn was first worn by Queen Elizabeth at the return banquet during the 1961 State Visit to Italy, and this is another nod to Edo’s family and background! Love this even more! Maybe out of all HM’s dresses, this was the one and only!

Also, Beatrice apparently reworn the Valentino heels from W&C wedding, also worn at Amedeo of Belgium’s wedding in Rome. To me, there’s to much recycling going on! But this makes this wedding even more likable!

The dress Beatrice has worn was first worn by Queen Elizabeth at the return banquet during the 1961 State Visit to Italy, and this is another nod to Edo’s family and background!

That’s interesting, is there a picture?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here's an article stating when and where the gown was first worn by the Queen - apparently at a state dinner held in honor of the then Italian President Giovanni Gronchi at the British Embassy in Rome on 4th May 1961 - although I've read elsewhere that it was first worn in 1962 and the photo of is from that event:

https://pagesix.com/2020/07/19/prin...izabeths-dress-and-tiara-for-private-wedding/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/12160754/princess-beatrice-wedding-dress-the-queen-tiara/
Yes, 1961. I recognized the star of the Order of Merit of The Italian Republic, that used to be like that until some years ago. Nice nod to Edo!
And also Valentino is an Italian brand. So, there are countless references to the couple in the ensemble!
Well done, Bea!

The dress Beatrice has worn was first worn by Queen Elizabeth at the return banquet during the 1961 State Visit to Italy, and this is another nod to Edo’s family and background!

HM also wore it to the premiere of Lawrence of Arabia. The challenge is to find a link to TE Lawrence or maybe Peter O'Toole.:lol:

Yes, 1961. I recognized the star of the Order of Merit of The Italian Republic, that used to be like that until some years ago. Nice nod to Edo!

And also Valentino is an Italian brand. So, there are countless references to the couple in the ensemble!

Well done, Bea!

A nod to Edo’s heritage perhaps, but not Edo himself. He’s not Italian after all.

After the hype of Covid-19, the lull followed by the awful and horrific reality of it, and rapidly realising the future is fluid and the fears of what lies ahead in this"new normal", Beatrice and Edo's wedding was a wonderful surprise and the sight of Bea and Edo peeking out the church was quite enchanting. The formal photo taken with her grandparents was also a wonderful idea. A perfect "snapshot" of a Covid-19 wedding. In this time of pandemic induced worries, and changes (hopefully temporary) the BRF has shown that you can still get married even if your dream wedding is replaced by a new dream. There is still hope, love and joy to be had.

To me the picture with her grandparents didn't look that formal; especially not with the queen keeping the order of service in her hand. So, it just looked like a picture taken after a church service with the bridal couple before they move on... Which I guess it was; but still great that it was released.

They could be the monarch's cousins instead of niece/nephew if William would be on the throne by then (instead of Charles). I agree it is unlikely that the queen will live to see her youngest grandchildren getting married.

A nod to Edo’s heritage perhaps, but not Edo himself. He’s not Italian after all.

Are you sure he isn't also Italian? Apparently (according to wikipedia but on this topic I see little reason to question that) citizenship in Italy is passed on by birth; so given that Edo's father is reported to be both a British and an Italian citizen, I wouldn't be surprised if he passed the Italian nationality on to his children - especially since he seems to appreciate his Italian noble heritage (using the title of count).

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure he isn't also Italian? Apparently (according to wikipedia but on this topic I see little reason to question that) citizenship in Italy is passed on by birth; so given that Edo's father is reported to be both a British and an Italian citizen, I wouldn't be surprised if he passed the Italian nationality on to his children - especially since he seems to appreciate his Italian noble heritage (using the title of count).

My comment stems from the below...

It is surprising and disappointing to see a media organization as respected as the BBC spreading the disinformation that Edo Mapelli Mozzi is "Italian". As has been reported and discussed, he is British-born and raised, has lived in the United Kingdom for his entire life, carries only British citizenship, and is chiefly of British descent. While he has visited Italy, his sole link to Italy is his patrilineal ancestry.

Characterizing Mr. Mapelli Mozzi as "Italian" is equivalent to characterizing Princess Beatrice as "Greek".

According to a profile of Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi published last year, he (Edo) is "solely" a British citizen.

Even in a hypothetical scenario in which he held dual citizenship, I think it would be inaccurate to describe him as Italian rather than (at most) Italian-British, given all of the other factors mentioned in my post which Lumutqueen quoted. The King of the Belgians is likewise entitled to Italian nationality under Italian law, but it would be unthinkable to describe him as "Italian".

The present queen's mother lived to the age of 101 years; should the queen live to the same age, Lady Louise could marry at age 24 as the granddaughter of the monarch. It is not the likeliest scenario, but I would rate the probability as much higher than 0.01%.

Last edited:
:

About the dress, I think I'm in the minority here. In my opinion, I feel that Beatrice deserved better than this. As a new bride, she should've gotten a new white dress, not a patched-up altered with pieces added at the bottom to make it long, and it was not even floor length enough.

I assume it was her choice. We don't know what she intended to wear originally, but, as the wedding was meant to be at the end of May and we didn't go into lockdown before late March, presumably she'd chosen a dress and it was nearly ready. Some alterations were done on this dress, so presumably the final alterations could just as easily have been made on the original dress.

Shops are open again, so she could even have got one off the peg - she isn't particularly big or small, so it would have been easy enough to get one to fit, and I'm sure the shop could have been sworn to secrecy on the agreement that they'd get the publicity afterwards.

I liked this one ?.

The wedding photos were just lovely, but wouldn't it have been nice if they had, for instance, the wedding party (3 adults and 3 children) walking hand in hand AWAY from the camera, with just B & E looking back at the photographer. That way we could have seen what the children (and Eugenie) wore, but not the children's faces; that could have been a win-win situation ?

But i'm happy just to see ANY wedding photos. B looked just lovely. The whole thing (for the situation) was just perfect.

A compilation of the times Queen Elizabeth wore the Norman Hartnell gown that was reconfigured into Princess Beatrice's wedding dress:

This photo is The Queen wearing the gown at a state dinner in Rome in 1961.

This photo is from the Lawrence of Arabia premiere in 1962.

This photo/screencap is the State Opening of Parliament in 1966.

P.S.
I see different years for these events, the Lawrence of Arabia premiere may have been in 1961 and the State Opening of Parliament may have been in 1967.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom