Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of them don't really. Most are a result of Queen Mary and her itchy fingers convincing people to give them to her. As was the case with the one Eugenie wore. In fact nearly all of them have something to do with Queen Mary.

Not quite. Queen Mary was a great purchaser of jewellery, and not all of it was as a result of "itchy fingers".

But the good thing is that in the century or so since Queen Mary buying a lot of that jewellery, a lot of royal provenance has been acquired, through use by 5 generations of royal women.

Wasn't Eugenie's part of the large Greville bequest to the Queen Mother(then Queen Elizabeth) by arch snob Mrs Greville in her will?

Indeed. The tiara worn by Eugenie at her wedding was part of the bequest by Mrs Greville to QEQM in 1942.

Not quite. Queen Mary was a great purchaser of jewellery, and not all of it was as a result of "itchy fingers".

But the good thing is that in the century or so since Queen Mary buying a lot of that jewellery, a lot of royal provenance has been acquired, through use by 5 generations of royal women.

I don't see the point of that. What does it matter who wore them. Its touching on a wedding day to wear one that meant something to a mother, grandmother etc. but otherwise.

She was also keen on a bargain and snapped up a lot of things which came by the way of deposed monarchys. Particularly the Romanovs. She liked good quality things something Charles had inherited.

Last edited:
Incidentally I noticed that other than the Fringe Tiara Beatrice wore no other bridal jewelry at her wedding.

I don't think Beatrice has pierced ears. I've noticed a few times before that she never wears earrings.

I liked the simplicity of her style...she wasn't wearing heavy makeup, either, and it suited her.

I am in agreement with the posters who said that this small wedding makes Harry's huge wedding look unnecessary. And it surprises me that I'm saying this, because two years ago I was in favour of a big ceremony for Harry and Eugenie both (I didn't think it was fair to exclude Eugenie from that just because she's a minor royal; technically, Harry is a minor royal too, but both are equally the Queen's grandchildren). And growing up, I was most familiar with Charles and Diana and Andrew and Sarah's weddings, and the pageantry just seemed like a normal part of royal weddings to me.

But now I love the personal feel I get from just a few of Beatrice's photos...the stunning flower arrangements and the intimate feel of just having grandparents in the photos. (I'm sure we would've seen photos of Andrew/Sarah and maybe Edo's parents had it not been for Andrew's current troubles.)

So yes, I am in favour of making this the standard for future BRF weddings. Everything about it looks just lovely. And no huge ceremony, endless train or carriage procession could really top wearing the Queen's wedding tiara AND a vintage Norman Hartnell dress. Those links with family history speak volumes about the importance of family in this wedding.

The photo with her grandparents was wonderful. A lot of people don't have any grandparents living on their wedding day, and to have any of your grandparents there, and looking so fit and well in their 90s, is very special.

So yes, I am in favour of making this the standard for future BRF weddings. Everything about it looks just lovely. And no huge ceremony, endless train or carriage procession could really top wearing the Queen's wedding tiara AND a vintage Norman Hartnell dress. Those links with family history speak volumes about the importance of family in this wedding.

I totally agree! I loved this wedding, private and intimate with just the family. I think the huge royal weddings should become a thing of the past. The new normal has it's perks.

Personally I quite liked not having a huge build up talked about for months before the wedding. Having to find out all the details after finding out it had happened was a nice treat. I'd happily see more royal weddings done in such a low key manner - but maybe knowing the date and location just before hand (realistically that would leak out).

Well - this is possibly going to the last royal wedding we see for a while. Unless Peter Philips has ideas. The next big one will be George.

But I do expect Louise and James might even be smaller and more private then this.

Hmm...I don't know folks. I LOVED this wedding...it is now my firm favorite British Royal wedding.( I adore MARG's description of it as a "private and romantic fantasy")

But even though we won't be seeing another one any time soon-at least not in the BRF-there is something to be said for a big, ceremonial State occasions with all the bells and whistles.
A direct Heir could never have or be expected to have the type of wedding Beatrice had for diplomatic and political reasons.

Attending and supporting the weddings of their peers abroad is one of the primary Royal job duties.

Even if they had wanted to, Charles and William and even Harry could not have gone the "Secret Garden/ Private Fantasy" route trod
by Beatrice and Edoardo this weekend. There was too much public and media interest in their weddings.There would have been a considerable backlash.

Remember what happened when Harry decided to christen his son privately? Imagine if he'd tried to pull that with his wedding.:ohmy:

But Beatrice could, and she did. Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade!

All i want now is to see a photo of their wedding cake. Something tells me that it was exquisite.....:whistling:

I just read online that as part of the evening post dinner festivities(that continued until dawn)the bridal couple set up dartboards around the grounds and invited their guests to have at it. Oh the photos of certain individuals that might have had darts thrown at them during the course of the evening.....!!:lol:

Last edited:
Well - this is possibly going to the last royal wedding we see for a while. Unless Peter Philips has ideas. The next big one will be George.

But I do expect Louise and James might even be smaller and more private then this.
Don't despair;) In the UK yes, but you'll witness other big royal weddings since most heirs and heiress in Europe are much older than George. A few more years, maybe 5 to 10 years, and we'll have a few dozen weddings :flowers:

Peter is youngish man. He may will get married again. Some haven't gotten married for the first time at his age.

They come from a class which has high levels of divorce so the odds...

You know what the French day. 3 big loves. A young love, a person to have kids with and a mature love.

In terms of guests, you couldnt get much smaller than this unless you just have witnesses.

If anyone gets remarried or the Wessex children get married, it wont be big.

Next one will be George and he may be the only one.

Last edited:
Hmm...I don't know folks. I LOVED this wedding...it is now my firm favorite British Royal wedding.( I adore MARG's description of it as a "private and romantic fantasy")

But even though we won't be seeing another one any time soon-at least not in the BRF-there is something to be said for a big, ceremonial State occasion with all the bells and whistles.
A direct Heir could never have or be expected to have the type of wedding Beatrice had for diplomatic and political reasons.

Attending and supporting the weddings of their peers abroad is one of the primary Royal job duties.

Even if they had wanted to, Charles and William and even Harry could not have gone the "Secret Garden/ Private Fantasy" route trod
by Beatrice and Edoardo this weekend. There was too much public and media interest in their weddings.There would have been a considerable backlash.

Remember what happened when Harry decided to christen his son privately? Imagine if he'd tried to pull that with his wedding.:ohmy:

But Beatrice could, and she did. Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade!

All i want now is to see a photo of their wedding cake. Something tells me that it was exquisite.....:whistling:

I just read online that as part of the evening post dinner festivities(that continued until dawn)the bridal couple set up dartboards around the grounds and invited their guests to have at it. Oh the photos of certain individuals that might have had darts thrown at them during the course of the evening.....!!:lol:

I think there is a different mindset after Covid. Now it would probably be of course Harry.

Not many BRF weddings for some time now. I susoect Louise and James will have relatively low key weddings, so the next weddings will be the Cambridge children. What template they follow is probably too early to speculate about.

The Covid mindset is the new reality for the foreseeable future.

But big splashy Royal weddings will make a comeback 1, 5, 10 years from now.

It's inevitable, imo.

The Covid mindset is the new reality for the foreseeable future.

But big splashy Royal weddings will make a comeback 1, 5, 10 years from now.

It's inevitable, imo.

I certainly hope George has a large wedding at the Abbey in about 20 years from now.

I have absolutely loved everything we've seen and heard about this wedding. However unless the couple specifically want a tiny wedding I don't see them being as small as Bea's, 20 people really isn't a lot if you *do* want to invite cousins, aunts, uncles and friends and Bea and Edo apparently want a blowout party when it's feasible. Who knows what the state of the world or the Monarchy will be by the time it's really a question for the little Cambridges. Things could have turned on their head many times.

James and Louise's aren't going to cause that much of a splash in the news even if they have 800 guests at St. George's and a big party at Bagshot. Maybe just some more pictures and videos of the arrivals and steps of the church. People like Lady Amelia will get even less attention whatever they choose, apart from Hello and Tatler etc.

I think in future, royals (and relatives of royals) will have as much attention as they want. Those who seek celebrity will have it easily as there will always be a section of the media which exists in that sphere. Even if they are a minor royal, if they seek the limelight they can pull it towards them. Those who prefer privacy could still have a big wedding if they choose to but they could keep it away from public view and only release a few photos afterwards.

Don't despair;) In the UK yes, but you'll witness other big royal weddings since most heirs and heiress in Europe are much older than George. A few more years, maybe 5 to 10 years, and we'll have a few dozen weddings :flowers:

It could be very likely that Peter Philips will marry again in the future but I suspect that his second wedding will be low key.

Princess Anne's second wedding was pretty low key, and she's the Queen's daughter. But, if Peter meets someone else and she's never been married before, she may well want a big day with all the works.

Princess Anne's second wedding was pretty low key, and she's the Queen's daughter. But, if Peter meets someone else and she's never been married before, she may well want a big day with all the works.

That's true he could marry someone whose not been married before and go on to have more children.

To me it seems highly unlikely that Louise and James would opt for smaller weddings. Would they leave each other out? Because it would be hard to come up with something smaller than parents, siblings and grandparents (and probably a friend or two). I hope they are not required as much due to another pandemic when they are about to get married.

And I would be disappointed if no picture at all would be released at their respective weddings (this one seemed to have gotten as private as it gets only releasing a few pictures of bride and groom (without any other family members except for the queen and duke of Edinburgh on one of them).

These are strange times. Hopefully it was a very special day for Beatrice and Edo, but, once the coronavirus nightmare is over, I don't think many people are going to be opting for wedding with 20 guests, no bridesmaids or page boys, no music, no reception, no honeymoon and no group photos. I can't see Louise or James going for something as big as Eugenie's wedding, but I doubt we'll ever see a royal wedding as small as this again.

They may become private affairs like they were in the 19th C except for the heir to the throne. Then people who wanted a really small quiet intimate wedding could have them and release one or 2 photos.

I am sure that they would have had a different ceremony if not for COVID, but from the look on their faces, they were perfectly happy. Beatrice looked wonderful and the flowers were exceptional. I wish the couple well.

Not according to the Daily Express, for whatever that's worth:

"However, the Duke of York’s office have told Express.co.uk that Mr Mappeli Mozzi is an Anglican, although details of his Anglican baptism were not confirmed. Added to this, Edoardo’s parents Alessandro and Nicola “Nikki” Burrows, now Williams-Ellis, were married in the Church of England."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...rdo-mapelli-mozzi-religion-catholic-royal-spt

Thank you for finding this. I think the Duke of York's office can be trusted on this question, particularly in light of the closeness of the two families.

For reasons not clear to me, there seems to be a penchant among some for creating a view of Mr. Mapelli Mozzi as an foreigner to the British royal family, first by wrongly writing that he is Italian and then by wrongly writing that he is Catholic.

I think its laughable to think Bea's marriage is going to become the norm for any royal, junior or senior. After the pandemic restrictions are lifted.

Will weddings be like William or even Harry's, other then for the heir? No. But the level of Eugenie or even Peter's? Yes.

Even commoners don't normally have a wedding so tiny. Weddings between 80-100 is pretty normal if not higher. Especially when you come from a larger family and want them to be there. Having 15 guests (the 2 rectors, organist and photographer) is not suddenly going to be a royal norm.

James and Louise will likely have something like Peter and Zara in size. Private though. Or even like Freddie and his wife who are even more removed.

These are strange times. Hopefully it was a very special day for Beatrice and Edo, but, once the coronavirus nightmare is over, I don't think many people are going to be opting for wedding with 20 guests, no bridesmaids or page boys, no music, no reception, no honeymoon and no group photos. I can't see Louise or James going for something as big as Eugenie's wedding, but I doubt we'll ever see a royal wedding as small as this again.

Beatrice and Edoardo had music but no choral singing. There was a gourmet catered lunch, as well as dinner in the evening.

My understanding is that there will be a delayed honeymoon to Italy in a few weeks.

It wasn't what we are used to and I agree that it is not likely to become the norm for British Royal weddings. But under the circumstances it sounded very lovely and appropriate for the queen's granddaughter.;)

Beatrice and Edoardo had music but no choral singing. There was a gourmet catered lunch, as well as dinner in the evening.

My understanding is that there will be a delayed honeymoon to Italy in a few weeks.

It wasn't what we are used to and I agree that it is not likely to become the norm for British Royal weddings. But under the circumstances it sounded very lovely and appropriate for the queen's granddaughter.;)

You can't have singing at the moment.

Yes, it was perfect for the circumstances. Obviously it was not in any way whatsoever intended as a PR exercise, but it has actually gone down very well. It's not quite in the same league as "The King will never leave [Buckingham Palace]", but the pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip social distancing at their granddaughter's wedding have definitely emphasised the "all in it together" message. Apart from a couple of newspapers moaning about Prince Andrew, most people have said how pleased they are for Beatrice.

Back
Top Bottom