The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2020, 09:11 PM
Royal Highness

Whatever anyone may think of Andrew and Sarah —. You have to give them credit as parents. They have raised two lovely daughters without a hint of scandal from either girl. In addition, both daughters seem fiercely loyal to their parents. Not too shabby!

Old 07-18-2020, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I liked Bea's dress. Though I though she already had a dress made up for the wedding she was planning. And I liked the tiara. I even liked the flowers though lots of people didn't.
There were rumours that no one wanted to make her gown and she was even planning on making it herself.

I suspect if that was the case then The Queen may have stepped in and suggested a dress from her collection and this was it.

Given it had to be adjusted and the covid restrictions it is possible that it was already being altered before lock down and the final pieces done in the past few weeks.

I love the dress and it is in excellent condition. Silk doesn't remain white, even with the best of care.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There were rumours that no one wanted to make her gown and she was even planning on making it herself.

I suspect if that was the case then The Queen may have stepped in and suggested a dress from her collection and this was it.

Given it had to be adjusted and the covid restrictions it is possible that it was already being altered before lock down and the final pieces done in the past few weeks.

I love the dress and it is in excellent condition. Silk doesn't remain white, even with the best of care.
Pure rumours. Just like that Andrew wouldn’t attend or that it had to be delayed and so on. People speculating as her dad is in trouble. If they wanted to make it remotely believable should have left out the laughable suggestion she would sew it herself.

No designer would turn down the publicity of a royal wedding dress.

Either

Beatrice wanted to wear one of her grandmothers dresses and they chose this

Or

She was having a gown done but because of the covid it wasn’t done in time. And having alterations done by the queens staff was quicker to handle. Custom gowns from scratch take a lot of time and usually not just worked on by one.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Commoner

the dress

I see several people have liked Beatrice's dress. personally , I don't. it looks very....dated. JMHO. as long as they are happy, I am delighted for them! and Bea certainly won the TIARA STAKES.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

She never looked more beautiful. I do believe the dress is gorgeous, and doesn’t really need the sleeves but maybe it does for the church. Otherwise, why not? I don’t understand the comments about the dress being yellowed from age. I am sure the queen wouldn’t let that happen, and I didn’t see any evidence of it. Such lovely sumptuous flowers which really help her complexion. What a wedding gift this pandemic has been for her in many ways. The tiara seems placed a bit in front but really suits her, even with her hair down.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Silk doesn't remain a shiny white - like all natural fibres so it is natural that the dress is less pristine white and more creamy in colour as that is the nature of silk.

They had to add sleeves as it is well known that the Queen doesn't approve wedding dresses without shoulders being covered. She doesn't really like anyone going to church without their shoulders covered.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:14 PM
Nobility

I suspect that was the dress intended to wear on her original date. The sleeves look removable, would have been a great look for an evening reception!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Commoner

Beatrice is absolutely beautiful! Her Majesty's altered dress and Queen Mary's tiara are very appropriate for another generation's "first daughter" to wear. Edo and Beatrice are beaming with joy! So very happy for them both! God bless!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

The more i see the dress the more i like it, and I am rarely into vintage. Angela Kelly and Stewart Parvin altered that gown beautifully. I especially love the short puff sleeves. The champagne color with matching veil is perfect for the bride's skin and hair. It is incidentally the same colour chosen by Sarah when she married in July 1986. I still wish Beatrice had worn an upsweep but i don't blame her for wanting to show off her glorious head of hair.

I cannot get over the fact that HM lent her own wedding tiara. Only her daughter Princess Anne was similarly honored. Very impressive!

I had nightmares about seeing Beatrice in one of Vivienne Westwood's "cheeky" designs and I
am so relieved I was wrong. She looked like a perfect fairy tale Royal bride...well done!

Her floral arrangements-along with those of Harry and Meghan in 2018, are the most beautiful of any of the recent British Royal weddings imo.

I would love to see a photo of the wedding cake...pretty please??

When I read that the bridal couple spent their wedding night in a specially constructed, lavish tent on the grounds of Royal Lodge I was taken aback at first...then enchanted. Very romantic.

I had to go back and re-read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 and e.e. cummings "I Carry You In My Heart" to remind myself of how utterly romantic they are...perfect for any wedding.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-18-2020, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I don't think the York tiara was sold. One of the girls has spoken of it. And I think it would have made news if it had been sold off. Honestly its not the most attractive tiara. The girls likely simply chose to wear one of the tiaras their grandmother was willing to loan them, instead of the York tiara.
I would agree, except for the fact that neither daughter wore it (York tiara).
I could see if one didn't, but both?

So I have to believe the tiara is no longer available to wear.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Didnt Princess Anne wear her mother's wedding tiara when she married Mark Phillips?
Yes she did. Beatrice is the FIFTH generation to wear this tiara:

Queen Mary had the tiara made from diamonds that were a wedding present (necklace) from Queen Victoria. She gifted the tiara to Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) who wore it in some of her first formal photos as Queen.

Queen Elizabeth loaned it to her daughter Princess Elizabeth for her wedding, and later loaned it to her royal granddaughter, Princess Anne, for hers. On the Queen Mother's death, it was inherited by her daughter The Queen, who wore it for a few formal photographs. And now The Queen has loaned it to the eldest princess of her generation: Princess Beatrice.

So, this tiara has "wedding" credentials galore, and has been worn by the most senior princess of the last three generations as a bridal tiara. I may not be around for it, but I hope Princess Charlotte continues the tradition!
Old 07-18-2020, 11:09 PM
Commoner

In my opinion, Beatrice and Eduardo got it exactly right. The vintage dress and tiara are lovely on the princess. (It doesn't matter if people don't like the dress. What does matter is that it was Beatrice's choice.). Small, private, no lavish expense and spectacle in the light of Covid 19. No distasteful scandal or unwelcome comments from any-one. It was a simple, lovely occasion for a very happy bride and groom. I hope they see their grandchildren married in a similar manner.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Commoner

Thanks, everyone, for all the information about Princess Beatrice's wedding attire. Apparently she's the same height (5'4") the Queen was in her younger years; I thought Beatrice was taller. I looked it up because I was wondering if the length of the dress was an issue. I'm not crazy about the sleeves, but they do have a 1940s look, so perhaps that's what she was going for. I like that she looked so natural. The flowers are beautiful! I think the small, private wedding is absolutely charming.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all the information about Princess Beatrice's wedding attire. Apparently she's the same height (5'4") the Queen was in her younger years; I thought Beatrice was taller. I looked it up because I was wondering if the length of the dress was an issue. I'm not crazy about the sleeves, but they do have a 1940s look, so perhaps that's what she was going for. I like that she looked so natural. The flowers are beautiful! I think the small, private wedding is absolutely charming.
The Queen seems to have worn the dress with crinolines, at least for the film premiere. However, the way the skirt falls on Beatrice is similar to the way The Queen's wedding gown's skirt part fell. So all good.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:33 AM
Courtier

I think Bea looked beautiful. Not my favourite dress of recent Royal brides but, IMHO it takes nothing away from how happy she, Edo, the Queen and Philip look. They say that beauty comes from within and the happiness radiates and makes Beatrice beautiful.

As for Andrew not being in the pics released to the public, the press would have made a big deal if he had been in them and a big deal if he had not been. I hope Beatrice and Edo just ignore the media and listen to their family and friends. What other people think about their wedding is irrelevant. They are clearly happy and that’s all that matters.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

What do we know about Beatrice's matching champagne colored veil? Did it also come from Hartnell? I wonder was her face covered with a blusher in the church? I bet that was gorgeous if so!

Since this gown was "on loan" from HMQ it was presumably returned after the wedding ceremony . But I wonder if the queen will pass gown to Beatrice upon her death?

I think the Fringe Tiara will go to the Princess Royal.....

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-19-2020, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the Fringe Tiara will remain in the royal family and so not go to anyone other than Charles with a request it be reserved for Charlotte's wedding.

If it is left to Anne then she will have to pay all sorts of taxes on it and eventually it will probably have to be sold ... or will be sold as it will not be of any use to any of Anne's descendants.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Heir Apparent

What a lovely idea to borrow Granmas dress. I don't understand how it fits as I though the Queen is much more petite than Beatrice, but It worked.
All details were lovely and romantic, well done.
Can't wait to see other pictures, I hope they will release.
And now a comment to a point noone mentioned:
Prince Philip, 99 years old and still standing!!!!!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 AM
Nobility

Royals do really have an affect on the market. I was looking at replica of Bea's/HM's tiara the day she got married and someone’s else brought the tiara a few hours later. It was about $200
Old 07-19-2020, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I would agree, except for the fact that neither daughter wore it (York tiara).
I could see if one didn't, but both?

So I have to believe the tiara is no longer available to wear.
if such a well known tiara was sold it would have been known. The buyer or auction house something.

Eugenie is said to have wanted coloured stones. Beatrice was wearing her grandmothers gown so wearing one of her tiaras made sense.

Honestly it's an ugly tiara. Just because her daughter's chose not to wear it dies from mean it's sold.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Silk doesn't remain a shiny white - like all natural fibres so it is natural that the dress is less pristine white and more creamy in colour as that is the nature of silk.

They had to add sleeves as it is well known that the Queen doesn't approve wedding dresses without shoulders being covered. She doesn't really like anyone going to church without their shoulders covered.

It's not about the queen but the church. The Anglican as well as some other churches require the shoulders to be covered.

Some Anglican ministers aren't a stickler but the royal brides make a pint if following the rule.