The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to know who will buy it and why???

pollyemma said:
I'd love to know who will buy it and why???

I don't think you could wear it though so it must be for display or for a museum.

I wonder when her sons marry and they do an exhibition on the dresses will they include hers also?

that wedding dress more lots of money and expense! you cant afford for it! because more worth by $50,000 but i think about that dress but i cant afford for that dress! but i wont wanted Prince William and Harry upset of his beloved mother's famous wedding dress.

iowabelle said:
I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.

well if the girl died early on in charles and di's marriage things would have still been ok between C and D. it was only in the late 80s when the marriage began to deteriorate that hardline "factions" of their supporters began to be formed.

pollyemma said:
well if the girl died early on in charles and di's marriage things would have still been ok between C and D. it was only in the late 80s when the marriage began to deteriorate that hardline "factions" of their supporters began to be formed.
Hon. Leonora Romsey died October 1991.

Warren said:
Hon. Leonora Romsey died October 1991.

ok, yeah, there were definitely factions in place by then...

Wasn't Diana her godmother as well? The Romsey's might be supporters of Charles but you just don't pick anyone to be your child's godmother.

Zonk1189 said:
Wasn't Diana her godmother as well? The Romsey's might be supporters of Charles but you just don't pick anyone to be your child's godmother.
Leonora was born June 1986 and the Romseys would have been honoured to have the Princess of Wales as a godmother to their daughter.

some pictures of the wedding I scanned a few days ago:

What Rank is Charles Uniform I Know its Navy but is he a Admiral Sub Leiutenant

What do viewers think of Diana's wedding dress? I am not particularly keen on it.

Aren't there any pictures of the (royal) guests?

Good point Iannis. Which forgein royals attended the wedding? Does anyone know?

I was 13 year old when I saw the wedding on TV. And the was the most beautiful weddingdress I ever seen. But now I think the dress its too much.

I still think that it was a shame the marriage did not last. I think it was a wonderful wedding for Diana and Charles just a pitty ther was a "snake" in the middel.

Diana's dress was hideous. Creases everywhere, huge and meringue like. It was just a ball of silk and chiffon trundling up the aisle.

Let's not use this as an opportunity to have a pop at Camilla eh?

H.M. Margrethe said:
I still think that it was a shame the marriage did not last. I think it was a wonderful wedding for Diana and Charles just a pitty ther was a "snake" in the middel.

What was the reason to keep being married since someone proved to love and want to marry the snake (i do not adopt the characterisation) and the other being miserable because of that?
If Diana hadn't been killed, I think that it was the most wise thing to do in order to be both happy

BeatrixFan said:
Diana's dress was hideous. Creases everywhere, huge and meringue like. It was just a ball of silk and chiffon trundling up the aisle.

Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world. Mind you that:
  • She could have used a better coloring such as a less creamy ivory for her dress in order to better suit her magnificent complexion.
  • She could have had a much much better hairdo. Good grief we were in the 80s the paradise of bouffant and gel and.... Nobody but a real tiara with diamonds on a boring regular schoolgirl hairdo! She was marrying the Prince of Wales! If she could afford that long a train than she could have had a better hairstylist!

I think another thing about the dress was that it had to be in proportion to the setting at St Paul's. The wedding was a grand occasion in a huge building and the gown had to be "over the top" in such a setting. I actually think the Emanuels were going for another Grace Kelly look and may have overshot it a bit. Diana would have probably looked great in a potato sack but when seen from 2006 the gown does look somewhat unflattering. I think the ivory color was actually a better choice than regular white.

The 80's was a fashion period many of us wish to forget. :D Diana's dress....well as grand and magnificent it was back then, now it's just eeek! The lace and the material were absolutely lovely but the whole look, the poof; it just wasn't right. The sleeves and the puffy dress made Diana look like she was five times her weight. Her face and tiara were very beautiful and in the end she was still a beautiful bride, regardless of the outcome of her marriage.

Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world.

I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

Thanks everyone, it is nice to hear peoples opinions.

I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gita said:
I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.

I always wondered how she walked in that dress. It was so big! How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you? If she took one step back, she could have tripped on her train. I would have been a nervous wreck just thinking about that. I think recent bridal dresses (royal and not) just make more functional sense.

How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you?

Trust me dear, it's easy when you know how.

Back
Top Bottom