The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then don't call it ugly, I don't think it's unkind I so I will call it ugly. And there are different ways to support your country rather than just wearing clothes from someone inside the country. Princess whoever can wear Versace or Dior while still doing work to better the country.

Fergie did very little work back in the day - the foreign labels that did her no favours was representative of her approach to being in the RF, in it for the perks and nothing else. Even somone who is far better at the whole RF thing like Sophie Wessex has been rapped on the knuckles for wearing Prada a couple of times.

Its part of the quid pro quo I guess.

Yes, I think Diana liked wearing the family tiara rather than the Lovers Knot because of the discomfort of the latter, pearls on it tinkling etc. I like brides wearing their family tiara if they can. Also, the 1980's was rather an ugly decade fashion wise, so we could blame Diana's look as a bride at least partly on that!

IMO tiara's seem to look much better on women with thick rather springy hair, like Queen Sylvia of Sweden. When Diana had 'big' hair in the late 1980's her tiaras looked stunning, though I can't remember her wearing a large variety.

Diana only wore the medium or small tiaras. From what I've seen big tiaras are not really for young women - age is needed to make them look good along with the right hair and cranium chunkiness - case in point, Camilla in the greville and Delhi durbar tiaras.

Fergie did very little work back in the day - the foreign labels that did her no favours was representative of her approach to being in the RF, in it for the perks and nothing else. Even somone who is far better at the whole RF thing like Sophie Wessex has been rapped on the knuckles for wearing Prada a couple of times.

Its part of the quid pro quo I guess.

Your definitely right about Fergie, that woman was just lazy and even if she did wear British designers she would make sure to pick the ugliest outfits they had.
I know Diana mixed it up and wore the big foreign labels sometimes; I think it's ridiculous that the media will criticize Sophie for wearing Prada occasionally, as long as they don't do it all the time then I feel its a woman's prerogative to want to look good and some of those big brands are great at making women look good. criticizing them for choosing foreign labels just seems like not picking especially if they don't do it all the time.

As for tiaras I think they looked off on Diana when she cut her hair shorter.

She's supposed to use her country's designers... Assuming that British design is reasonably good (fashion means nothing to me) I can't see why she wouldn't look good. And "looking good" is rather subjective anyway and harldly the most important thing in life. it wodl be like always going abroad to expensive places for holidays and never taking a holiday at home, whereas the queen has nearly always taken her holidays at home. or driving foreign cars. I'm sure the POTUS does not let himself be seen driving a foreign car.

Your definitely right about Fergie, that woman was just lazy and even if she did wear British designers she would make sure to pick the ugliest outfits they had.
I know Diana mixed it up and wore the big foreign labels sometimes; I think it's ridiculous that the media will criticize Sophie for wearing Prada occasionally, as long as they don't do it all the time then I feel its a woman's prerogative to want to look good and some of those big brands are great at making women look good. criticizing them for choosing foreign labels just seems like not picking especially if they don't do it all the time.

As for tiaras I think they looked off on Diana when she cut her hair shorter.

Not when you're doing it on the public dime. It's not so much a case of looking good as it's looking presentable for the occasion, some people are good at wearing cloths and some are not. The services of a stylist can be of use for making a overall look work. They can wear foreign labels in private on their own time and pay for it out of their own pocket, but not while working - it's a dress code, most work places have them and 'the firm' is no different.

She's supposed to use her country's designers... Assuming that British design is reasonably good (fashion means nothing to me) I can't see why she wouldn't look good. And "looking good" is rather subjective anyway and harldly the most important thing in life. it wodl be like always going abroad to expensive places for holidays and never taking a holiday at home, whereas the queen has nearly always taken her holidays at home. or driving foreign cars. I'm sure the POTUS does not let himself be seen driving a foreign car.

I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a country's head of state and, in the case of the Royals, the HoS's heirs and their spouses to wear clothes designed and made by their own country's designers and dressmakers. I think that it is part of their job/role which is to support and promote their country. They are part of the country's brand. I am quite sure that there have been enough competent designers in the UK over the last 30 or so years to produce sufficiently high quality clothes for the senior royals without recourse to foreign designers. I don't think that being French or Italian necessarily means that a designer is so much better than the UK designers that the royals would be risking not looking good if they wore locally designed and made clothes when performing their job, and, preferably too when they are on their own time.

Last edited:
i think some on this thread are overlooking how influential the UK fashion houses are, due in no small part to royal patronage, and this covers a wide variety of styles and trends. The main reason men's fashion tends to be based in London not Paris is due to the saville row tailors association with the court and the city of London business sector. A number of important trends in women's fashion started in the UK not France and the Royal ladies did a lot in promoting it eg the new look was as much a creation of Norman Hartnell as it was Christian Dior, and the new romantic look of the early eighties was given a major boost by the clothing choices of Diana. royal patronage and the culture of the court has always played a large role in Britans fashion and textile industry and is one of the reasons it was able to enjoy at least some of the prestige the Franco-Italian brands do.

Not when you're doing it on the public dime. . They can wear foreign labels in private on their own time and pay for it out of their own pocket, but not while working - it's a dress code, most work places have them and 'the firm' is no different.
Agree. People don't mind the RF occaisioanally wearing foreign designers, but for the main part of their public life, they should wear British design

I know Diana wore Versace at engagements apparently he was one of her favs. This may just be me being an American and not understanding British culture but I don't think royal women should be criticized if they wear Chanel St Laurent Prada etc. Especially if they don't do it all the time. To me every woman would love to wear those brands; now if wearing them means paying $5000 for a pair of shoes then sure stay away from them. I think if Sophie wears British 80% of the time then she is doing her part. Again it may just be because I don't understand it being American.

I know Diana wore Versace at engagements apparently he was one of her favs. This may just be me being an American and not understanding British culture but I don't think royal women should be criticized if they wear Chanel St Laurent Prada etc. Especially if they don't do it all the time. To me every woman would love to wear those brands; now if wearing them means paying $5000 for a pair of shoes then sure stay away from them. I think if Sophie wears British 80% of the time then she is doing her part. Again it may just be because I don't understand it being American.

Diana only wore the non uk labels after the decree nisi was issued, and it was about sending a deliberate message about how she was bigger than the RF - she also started to show more skin as well, again this was about sending a deliberate message. The other RFs tend to be more relaxed about such things maybe because they are more into the whole pan European thing than the UK is?
Nonetheless, the rule is if that person gets their money from the civil list (ie from the treasury and ultamintly the tax payer) the expectation is that said money should be put back into the uk economy promoting local business and not on foreign labels. The critisim stems from the idea that if you are going to receive taxpayer money as your income than it should be for promoting local industry and go back into the local economy. It's also for this reason the RF all drive cars that are manufactured in the uk and are historically uk brands. Same for a number of luxury goods brands - it's about the perceived greater good.

You may notice that the more peripheral members of the RF who don't receive civil list money but instead live off their own money (inheritances, buisnesses, marrying somone rich etc...) can wear what they like but still often go for uk labels for reasons of convention, patriotism, and to avoid critisim in the press.

well exactly. As some have pointed out, Di's wedding dress was all britiish made and designed. It was meant to promote British history, and British design ability and to fit in with the history of Di's family and the RF. When she had left the RF to an extent, after her separation and divorce, she was free-er to use different designers..
Perhaps I'm just very much not into fashion, but I can't see what the fuss is about "French fashion"... Clothes are clothes, some are uglier or worse made than others, but in the end, they are just clothes.. and I don't see anything so great about them coming from Italy or the UK or New York.
Sure Diana got ti wrong at times, but overall I think she almost always looked lovely, and whether her clothes were from Laura Ashley or Versace didn't really matter.
I think that her wedding look was very suitable, for a big wedding in a big Cathedral ad for a young and lovely girl who could pull off such an extravagant fairy princess look

The problem some curmudgeons like myself have with the French labels is that it sends the wrong message about the wearer namely "I'm frivolous and self indulgent and think that money can buy good taste" instead of "I am aware that my lifestyle is funded with public money and therefore I am going to use my status to help my country's industry"

Unless of course you are the First Lady of France, or a Grimaldi.

Well I don't really care where a dress comes from, if it is attractive and fit for purpose. Certainly there is a general idea in the BRF that royal ladies should buy British, in fashions and cars and so on.. and I think that is fair enough as they are meant to be supporting their country. If they want to wear a French designer occasionally or at a private party that's fair enough.. but mostly in hteir public duties they should support Britian

Compared to the other RF's, the Windsor way can be OTT at times (the subterfuge around the making of Pss Marina and Pss Alexandra's dresses was hilarious) but I don't see things changing in the future.

Yes...I was watching a show about the royals last night and realized their wedding day was today. Hard to believe it's been that long ago.

LaRae

It was a couple of years before my time, but I've watched the wedding on YouTube and that was a very beautiful day. Charles and Diana made a stunning bride and groom.

I watched it on YouTube too, only a few weeks ago, as I did Sarah and Andrew's wedding. You forget details over the years. As well as the interesting commentary by the BBC and others on the day, what I got from watching it once more was the huge excitement of the gathered crowds who were massing in the streets through which the carriages passed. Many had camped out overnight.

Last edited:
Well I was young but I watched it on TV (and Sarah's too)....over the years with the documentaries etc I've seen quite a bit of it again.

LaRae

The problem some curmudgeons like myself have with the French labels is that it sends the wrong message about the wearer namely "I'm frivolous and self indulgent and think that money can buy good taste" instead of "I am aware that my lifestyle is funded with public money and therefore I am going to use my status to help my country's industry"

Unless of course you are the First Lady of France, or a Grimaldi.

So when Catherine fells in love with a Birkin bag from Hermès, she can not buy it because it is French? When William sees a great glass sculpture made by Gallotti & Radice, he can not buy it because it is Italian?

Huuu... pull up the drawbridges!!!

When the Princess buys a Mini she is spending to BMW (German). When the Prince buys a nice Cadbury's chocolate for Princess Charlotte, he is spending to Kraft (American). When the Queen uses electricity at Balmoral, from Scottish Power, she is spending to Endesa (Spanish).

London landmarks as The Dorchester, The Savoy, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols? In foreign ownership. Money stalled at Barclays Bank? In Qatari hands... Buying a shirt at Harrod's ? Egyptian... Having breakfast with Ye Olde Weetabix? Chinese...

With other words: let Catherine buy that Emilio Pucci dress or that Tom Ford cardigan she likes. It is 2016.

So when Catherine fells in love with a Birkin bag from Hermès, she can not buy it because it is French? When William sees a great glass sculpture made by Gallotti & Radice, he can not buy it because it is Italian?

Huuu... pull up the drawbridges!!!

When the Princess buys a Mini she is spending to BMW (German). When the Prince buys a nice Cadbury's chocolate for Princess Charlotte, he is spending to Kraft (American). When the Queen uses electricity at Balmoral, from Scottish Power, she is spending to Endesa (Spanish).

London landmarks as The Dorchester, The Savoy, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols? In foreign ownership. Money stalled at Barclays Bank? In Qatari hands... Buying a shirt at Harrod's ? Egyptian... Having breakfast with Ye Olde Weetabix? Chinese...

With other words: let Catherine buy that Emilio Pucci dress or that Tom Ford cardigan she likes. It is 2016.

I think I made a similar point that it's really more for show - yes they could go off and buy the Franco-Italian labels But consider media reaction - would it be positive? Probably not. The exception would be for say a state visit to Italy or the USA when maybe wearing pucci or Tom ford would be to hounor the hosts.

There is a thread I started in the Royal fashion forum about this topic on whether Royal have an obligation to wear local labels where we could discuss this in more depth.

Well I was young but I watched it on TV (and Sarah's too)....over the years with the documentaries etc I've seen quite a bit of it again.

LaRae
I missed Andre and Sarah's wedding and for some reason it never turned up again on TV.. Charles and Dis' wedding well knowing waht we know.. it is rather sad to watch...

I loved the pomp and pageantry of the royal wedding. There hasn't been a royal wedding like it since.

Yes, that was a unique event, the first of its kind really in the modern era, considering that the mourning Queen Victoria insisted on Edward and Alexandra's wedding being as quiet as humanly possible! No TV etc in those days, either!

Perhaps some of us will be around to see George, Prince of Wales married in the same sort of way. I don't know. Perhaps there's too much cynicism around about these things now.
However, so much magic was around on that day, the excited crowds, the innocent and beautiful young bride, all the pomp and ceremony, wonderful really.

Yes, that was a unique event, the first of its kind really in the modern era, considering that the mourning Queen Victoria insisted on Edward and Alexandra's wedding being as quiet as humanly possible! No TV etc in those days, either!

Perhaps some of us will be around to see George, Prince of Wales married in the same sort of way. I don't know. Perhaps there's too much cynicism around about these things now.
However, so much magic was around on that day, the excited crowds, the innocent and beautiful young bride, all the pomp and ceremony, wonderful really.

Yes, the event was indeed unique. Even Andrew and Sarah's wedding was grand. I guess George's future wedding will be on that kind of scale. Being the Monarch's heir makes the difference.

I dont think it wil be quite the same. And of course the pageantry was lovely but when you think of how unhappy teh marriage was, it seems a sad event now. I dont think that Kate and Wil's wedding was as grand..

Kate and William's wedding was much less grand. Neither of them wanted 'grand' (on the scale of his parents)...and William isn't the heir. Also...different era.

I actually liked Kate and Williams wedding much better than his parents. To include the dresses etc.

LaRae

As a wedding no.. I thougth that K's dress was derivative, it wasn't all that grand, or glamourous. but as I said, the glamour of Di's wedding was heavily paid for...

It wasn't a good marriage but it was an amazing wedding.Beautiful bride, for that time the dress was prefect , huge train ,very solemn but little smiles between the couple.
A beautiful wedding

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom