The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright here are the scans I have to tell you when the makeup artist says when she wasn't being seen camera Diana was with "other photographers" I'm assuming she meant Lord Lichfield cause there were no other official photographers well atleast that we know of otherwise I dunno who she meant cause she specifically says" when Diana wasn't being seen on camera (as in tv camera)...." and all the other times that(unofficial) photographers were present on that day she was also being seen on (tv) camera at the same time. She also mentions he took "behind the scenes photos of her getting ready" sadly the only ones we do have of her getting ready is the one in the Throne Room of them touching up her makeup just prior to the photoshoot.Also one of her bridesmaid as well as Lord Lichfield speaks about the famous photo of them on the floor as well as the rest he took.
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 42227
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 89210
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 48775
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 29079
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 89423
©Diana: The Portrait

I dunno how reliable this book but seems like Charles and Diana left for their honeymoon and didn't personally choose the wedding portraits to be released to public domain unlike Fergie and Andrew
He was even annoyed at Patrick Lichfield, the Queen's cousin, for having taken a candid shot of the royal wedding party that he sold around the world. "He never even submitted the pictures to the Queen," Charles grumbled
The Royals - Google Books
Seems like he not only didn't like the fact his favourite photo was released bu also the candid shot....

Also this one says he had 40 mins to do group shots but he himself said on BBC on the morning of the wedding he had about 30 minutes to do the whole session
official wedding party photographs were being organized in very little time and under great duress by Patrick Lichfield, ... the family groups in the forty minutes allotted to him, and on to the portraits of Charles and Diana alone.
Diana, Princess of Wales: a biography - Google Books
Now I'm working on composing video of all the alternative angles to the original BBC broadcast.

Last edited:
Now I'm working on composing video of all the alternative angles to the original BBC broadcast.
I would love to see that video, it is going to be awesome. in regards to kitty kelly's book, i am not sure much in that book is true. Some of the stuff in that book totally shocked me and i was left thinking, "not in this world would that happen"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard her books are very controversial so that's why I took it with a grain of salt but I do wonder if Litchfield made it back in time before they left for their honeymoon cause he did say development of photos back then was about 3 to 4 hours to long. And if my calculation is correct he musta finished the shoot around 2pm and the couple left at 4pm. I also do wonder about the mystery photo it very much puzzles me I'm still inclined to beleive it was a descrption error on the author's part. I shall definitely post it when I'm done with it, last night I finished the conversions now I just have to piece everything together and upload it.

Alright checked my dvd for confirmation cause I realized all this time I've been saying the photoshoot session was 30 mns long but I never really did go back and check that he 100% had said 30 mins and not 40 mins I was just drawing from recollection. I hadn't watched my dvd in a while. So I can now confirm 100% and straight from the BBC broadcast that Lord Lichfield says he has half an hour to take the official portraits which will be taken right after they step off the balcony. He then goes on to say he has name cards which will tell each individual where to stand he says he will finish those off later in the morning he also says he will start off with the largest group and keep going till he gets to the individual photos of Diana. He also speaks about the whistle he will use to keep everyone in order. So I dunno where they got the 40 mins from but in another book I did read he has cameras taking all at the same time from 5 different angles. Thought tbh if you look at the portraits it certainly doesn't look like they're taken from 5 different angles. He also says he wants to sneak in a few informal poses.

In the People Magazine article entitled "Good Show" written about a week prior to the wedding they said Diana and Charles would cut the cake at 1:00pm which could be true because there was some sort of gap from 12:37pm when they arrive to 1:10pm when they appeared onto the balcony.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20079899,00.html

Also I don't remember if it was Kitty Kelly's book or a different one but it mentions Charles wanted the wedding to be at the Abbey not St. Paul's though if I recall correctly Charles mentioned how he specifically always wanted to marry at St. Paul's so I doubt that's true.

Ahh here's the quote:
Prince Charles chose St. Paul's Cathedral rather than Westminster Abbey because the fine accoustics would enhance the music he wanted played.
and here's the other one, though it seems I was wrong I think they are talking about Prince Phillip not Prince Charles

He was stifling his own annoyance that the wedding had not taken place in Westminster Abbey
http://books.google.ca/books?id=zpy...k_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBTgK

Alright now this description definitely matches the picture we have:
Resulting from Lichfield's suggestion to Charles that he might lean towards the seated Diana, the striking fairytale image dominates the first six spreads in Life magazine's Scenes from a Marriage: the Story of a Love that Didn 't Last
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/ph...ss-Diana-kings-and-queens-2594836-550-387.jpg
From the book:
The British journal of photography

Alright this is interesting...
and the five-foot high wedding cake, baked by navy cooks at Chatham, was cut, using Prince Charles's naval sword.
Charles cut the cake with his ceremonial sword, Andrew proposed a toast, Charles replied, and Diana had her first taste of Navy rum, added to the wedding cake at her husband's special request. Whether or not it was the Navy rum at work,
The Princess of Wales - Google Books
From the same book....
They opened champagne.
Also that same book says unlike Fergie who's wedding breakfast took place in the State Dining Room Diana and Charles held it in the Ball Supper Room

Another funny quote:
At the wedding breakfast afterwards at Buckingham Palace, Edward and Andrew stood at the door with football rattles and took it in turns to ... Later they teased Diana for calling Prince Charles 'Philip' during the wedding ceremony.
Prince Edward

VERY strange considering Sarah says in her book she was told "toasts" were not traditional at a wedding breakfast. These are her exact words
"At one point we raised a glass , yet no one made a toast, for that was not traditional! "
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-ferguson-july-1986-a-4335-4.html#post1196160

I wonder if Patrick Lichfield was at the ceremony though when introducing him the BBC announcer said "he's got something else to do today" and Patrick himself said he would be at the palace later in the morning finishing up last minute details for the photo session.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wonder if W and Cs will be more like this or The Wessexes

Was that considered Grand I Think his should be Prince Henry could be more low key

Andrew was in the same position William is in now. He was a notch down on the grand scale compared to Charles'. Which is how it should have been.

Diana is still my favourite princess bride for all time!

I have to agree. She was brill. Everyone talks about her "rumpled" gown. Look closely and you'll see that halfway up the stairs, that exquisite silk had released all the rumple and it was just beautiful.

Charles was ultra handsome in the Welsh Guards uniform.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Charles and Diana's Wedding Invitation. Charles was the Queen's direct Heir and Diana was supposed to be the next Queen.

Back
Top Bottom