The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker-Bowles: 9 April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More guests & the royal family

Attachments

• 52609006Richard E. Grant.jpg
    52609006Richard E. Grant.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 336254.jpg
    336254.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 52609013.jpg
    52609013.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 52609011.jpg
    52609011.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 52609009.jpg
    52609009.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 42-15185148.jpg
    42-15185148.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 42-15185147.jpg
    42-15185147.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 42-15185114.jpg
    42-15185114.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 42-15185116.jpg
    42-15185116.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 42-15185062.jpg
    42-15185062.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 363
Haakon and Mette-Marit

Attachments

• 336199.jpg
    336199.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 377
  • guests-dop10a.jpg
    guests-dop10a.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 480
Genevieve said:
Surprising that Joan Rivers was there. I heard that she was actually friends with Charles and Camilla and that they liked her sense of humour. A curious fact since normally I would think that Charles and Camilla are the kind of people Joan would find it easy to take her cheap shots at.

I didn't recognize Joan Rivers, she has overdone it with the plastic surgery. What has happened to aging gracefully?

Queen's wedding toast brims with wit

By LEE-ANNE GOODMAN
Sunday, April 10, 2005 Updated at 5:43 PM EST
Canadian Press

Windsor, England — The mother of the groom made a funny speech that cracked up her grandsons, the groom expressed wonderment that his bride agreed to marry him, the youngest son of the groom happily kissed his new stepmother.

Could be any family wedding — but these were scenes from the Saturday nuptials of the heir to the British throne and the newly minted Duchess of Cornwall, now, by virtue of her marriage, the second most powerful woman in the British Royal Family.

“My darling Camilla, I can't believe you married me,” Prince Charles is reported to have said repeatedly during his speech to his bride as she gazed on in tears.

The Queen, for her part, drew frequent parallels to the Grand National steeplechase race and the couple's 35-year love affair. The National is an annual British sporting obsession that was held shortly after Charles and Camilla exchanged vows in Windsor's town hall on Saturday.

“Despite Becher's Brook and The Chair and all kinds of other terrible obstacles, my son has come through and I'm very proud and wish them well,” said the Queen, making reference to some particularly treacherous jumps on the race course, prompting giggles from William and Harry.

“The couple have finally arrived in the winner's enclosure.”

Prince Harry — such a heartbreaking figure at the funeral for his mother, Diana, the Princess of Wales, in 1997 as he walked solemnly behind her casket at just 12 years of age — was so happy for the couple, he gave his new stepmother a hug and kiss at one point.

“Harry and William get on tremendously well with Camilla,” said the broadcaster Lord Bragg, a guest at the reception. “It is a miracle how close they seem. They all seem extremely fond of each other.”

There were other details to emerge on Sunday, including the menu served to some 800 guests at the wedding reception at Windsor Castle following the marriage's blessing in the majestic St. George's chapel.

No Beluga caviar or truffles at this posh event — just a simple English afternoon tea featuring finger sandwiches, Cornish pasties, cakes and the treat adored by Brits rich and poor: scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. The sea of fragrant spring flowers, almost 35,000 in all, that decorated the castle's state rooms came from the Queen's own gardens.

“It was a wonderful, wonderful event,” said Canada's guest at the festivities, Gov.-Gen. Adrienne Clarkson. “We all wished them well and it buoyed them up and they seemed very happy.”

Charles and Camilla, honeymooning on a rural Scottish estate, emerged Sunday to attend a small church service with about 200 villagers — and appeared as relaxed and relieved as they apparently were during the reception.

The couple beamed and waved to dozens of well-wishers as they entered the chapel. Locals waved back and snapped pictures of Charles, clad in a kilt, and his bride, wearing a matching fuchsia hat and coat.

“I think she's lovely,” said Lynn Hutchings, 56, a nurse visiting her sister in the Scottish highlands. “I didn't think he should marry her but I've changed my opinion.”

Camilla, 57, is now officially the Princess of Wales, although she will be known as the Duchess of Cornwall in deference to enduring public affection for Diana. When Charles is crowned, she will be queen — but the prince's office says she will use the title “princess consort” instead.

It's been a long and at times tortured love affair for the couple, who met at a polo match in 1970. Charles was apparently heartbroken when Camilla Shand wed Andrew Parker Bowles in 1973, but Camilla was not considered marriage material by royal courtiers in those days.

The daughter of a wealthy wine merchant, she was neither a virgin nor a blueblood — two qualities considered essential for the bride of the young Prince of Wales, considered in the 1970s to be one of the world's most eligible bachelors. Courtiers were hoping to hook him up with one of the daughters of another European royal family to create a kind of royal super-dynasty.

By Charles's own admission, their romantic relationship resumed in the mid-1980s while they were both married to other people.

At the blessing of their marriage conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury on Saturday, both Charles and Camilla apologized for their sins and vowed to stay true to one another.

“That is my resolve, with the help of God,” they both pledged.

The couple's eight-week engagement was filled with twists and turns as well, prompting the tabloids to repeatedly refer to the wedding as jinxed. The tabs directed much of their venom Camilla's way — and Charles, said to be fiercely loyal and protective of his bride, apparently noticed.

“God bless my parents, God bless my family, God bless my friends, God bless my beloved wife,” he said in a toast at the wedding reception.

“But damn the British press.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050410.rwindsors0410/BNStory/International/

I concur James. It is as if everything has been brushed under the rug. I wish ppl would own up to their mistakes and try not to hush hush things just b/c it is convenient for them. I am extremely disappointed in the church. They act more secular than religious.
I agree with these two getting married, but she should have been denied those titles and HRH status. It makes me so sad that she got what she wanted, what she planned all those years. Adultery sucks!

james said:
Oh yes I know that Andrew Parker-Bowles had many women when they were married, they both seemed to have a very open relationship. It has even been said that he considered it some kind of sick honour that his wife was the Prince of Wales' mistress. I mean if he had cared at all he couldn't have brought himself to be at their wedding in the way that most normal men couldn't if their wife had cheated on them with someone else. But that's the whole point. Charles, Camilla and Andrew were perfectly at ease with the multiple adultery that was going on. It was only Diana who objected to it. That is why I found the religious service so distasteful yesterday, the three perpetrators were standing looking holier than thou whilst Diana is lying dead and the church seemed to be sanctioning the whole thing.

Ademar at the Glittering Royal Events MB posted the following series of newspaper covers from around the world on the coverage of Charles and Camilla's wedding. I thought it was rather interesting to see how the wedding was covered world wide.

The original source is www.newseum.org.

Attachments

• AUS_AGE.jpg
    AUS_AGE.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 242
  • AUS_CM.jpg
    AUS_CM.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 264
  • CAN_LFP.jpg
    CAN_LFP.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 248
  • UK_DT.jpg
    UK_DT.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 318
  • AUT_KZ.jpg
    AUT_KZ.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 225
  • CAN_CS.jpg
    CAN_CS.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 250
  • FL_BH.jpg
    FL_BH.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IL_CST.jpg
    IL_CST.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 348
I agree with James, all this look like aa big joke!:mad: . Andrew Parker Bowles happy to be in the wedding of his ex-wife and her lover?:confused: , That is uncredible. For me he was part of all this adultery. And someone here say that: he seems to be proud that his wife was with Prince of Wales?:mad: . Just, they are mad! It seems to me that Charles, Anddrew, Camilla don´t know the word "shy"

Elsa M. said:
Thank you very much for clarifying it! So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the criteria to a priest remarrying or not a couple depends on nothing more than his own personal judgement... I find ironic that a descendent from King Henry VIII is not allowed to enjoy the priveleges he took for himself, when breaking with Roman Catholic Church to marry Anne Bolene...

These days it's a bit more of a judgement call for a clergyman; in the days before the rules were relaxed, when divorced people couldn't remarry if their previous spouse was alive, it was more cut-and-dried. These days there's a certain amount of leeway since the church has decided that divorce is sometimes preferable to staying married. However, it seems as though marriage of a divorced person to a party who was involved in the breakdown of the previous marriage is still forbidden. Since Charles was obviously a factor in the breakdown of Camilla's first marriage, I can't really see how a Church of England clergyman could rationalise allowing them to remarry in church.

However, the service of prayer and dedication for Prince Charles and Camilla was perfectly standard Church of England practice after a civil wedding of a divorcee; the only thing that was different was that the Archbishop was officiating rather than the Dean of Windsor, but that's to be expected under the circumstances of it being the Prince of Wales who was getting married.

I agree with these two getting married, but she should have been denied those titles and HRH status. It makes me so sad that she got what she wanted, what she planned all those years.

She couldn't be denied the title and status without all sorts of special legislation; morganatic marriage doesn't exist in British law.

As far as getting what she wanted - it's quite possible she wanted to be Charles's mistress, not his wife. She's going to have a lot more duties and a lot less privacy now.

Official Pictures

Here they are!!!

ENJOY

Attachments

• CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 324
  • CC3.jpg
    CC3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 379
  • CC1.jpg
    CC1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 352
I LOVE the handbag of the wife of the actor richard grant (the scarlett pimpernell), a basket with violets, I think it is a lullu guinness design

~*~Humera~*~ said:
More guests & the royal family

Charles and Camilla Wed

No attire can hide the fact that Camilla was the woman who refused to back away from Charles whilst he was married to Diana.

Having an affair whilst pledging your life and love to another and then asking for forgiveness.....how pathetic can two roles be.....so the life of these two.....do wrong....don't worry all will be forgiven with a few simple words.....:mad:

Two lovers....two betrayers.....ex-husbands....what a wonderful family.....a way of life that both Charles and Camillia wishes to share with the world....thank god I don't have ANY of these values / ethics in my family!

Thank you so much wymanda ... the "family" photos are wonderful!

They all look so chuffed don't they?!! :D

Someone (sorry my mind is like a sieve at the moment) mentioned that Camilla sort of blended in with the background, she does a little doesn't she?!!! tee hee!

But I think they are great photos and it really was such a lovely "family" wedding, nice and down to earth and happy.

I'm so pleased for them. :D

Nice pictures! I hadn't realised that William was so tall.

Pity Camilla's mother isn't still alive. It's always sad when you see wedding groups and there's a parent missing (thinking of the latest Danish royal wedding too, with Princess Mary's mother not there). Of course, when the bride and groom are in their 50s, that becomes more likely.

Court Circular on wedding

The Court Circular's official notice on the wedding...

Court & Social
April 11, 2005
Court circular

WINDSOR CASTLE

April 9: The Marriage took place this afternoon in Windsor Guildhall of The Prince of Wales and Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles.

The Civil Ceremony was conducted by the Superintendent Registrar (Mrs Clair Williams).

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh attended a Service of Prayer and Dedication in St George?s Chapel, Windsor Castle, following the marriage of The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cornwall.

The Archbishop of Canterbury officiated and the Dean of Windsor (the Right Reverend David Conner) led the Prayers.

Prince William of Wales, Prince Henry of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Rear Admiral Timothy Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke and Duchess of Kent, Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy and other members of the Royal Family, Members of Foreign Royal Families and Major Bruce Shand were present.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh afterwards gave a Reception for The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle.

The Duke of Edinburgh this evening attended the Fédération Equestre Internationale official dinner at the Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London, SE10.

trinny said:
Thank you so much wymanda ... the "family" photos are wonderful!

They all look so chuffed don't they?!! :D

Someone (sorry my mind is like a sieve at the moment) mentioned that Camilla sort of blended in with the background, she does a little doesn't she?!!! tee hee!

I mentioned it originally. I've seen several different "treatments" to the pictures now and how they print in newspapers and in magazines. Depending on too, if the images were altered to lighten either Camilla's dress or the gold mouldings, it's a pretty excellent portrait of all parties involved. In all of the pictures I've seen however, Camilla is just positively glowing which is wonderful to see!

Does anyone know who the official photographer for these portraits are?

davo said:
The Court Circular's official notice on the wedding...
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh afterwards gave a Reception for The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle.

I see the official court circular is now referring to Charles as "The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall". That's a rather brilliant way to keep the connection to his wife's title, without stepping on any toes. Somewhat subtle too...:)

The official photos are wonderful! I always knew that William was tall, but I never realized just how tall. I think the third photo is my favorite. The one that is of just the couple and their children. Everyone truly does look very happy and are smiling with such gamely looks on their faces.

Alexandria said:
Does anyone know who the official photographer for these portraits are?
Hugo Burnand. He was chosen as the official wedding photographer by the Prince and Duchess, he's a portrait photographer who has done some really notable jobs before (Baroness Thatcher for example). The official pictures were taken in the White Drawing Room. :)

GrandDuchess said:
Hugo Burnand. He was chosen as the official wedding photographer by the Prince and Duchess, he's a portrait photographer who has done some really notable jobs before (Baroness Thatcher for example). The official pictures were taken in the White Drawing Room. :)

Thanks GrandDuchess for the information.

Additional question: Has Hugo Burnand done other official photographs for other members of the royal family? Or was this his first job for them?

I think Sophie and Edward's official portraits were taken in the White Drawing Room, too, weren't they?

Here are some more pictures of Camilla. She really looked amazing in the photos. There was a kind of softness about her and her face glowed the entire day. She looked like a woman in love and that was wonderful to see. I said it before and I'll say it again - I loved her suit at Guildhall and the gown for the blessing. I wasn't too crazy for the headpiece at the blessing but there was nothing else that she could have worn to bring off the entire look. Her wedding ensembles were more beautiful than I imagined. I was so happy that they were. I guess she was too:D

The first picture is a closeup of the Duchess's bouquet she carried for the blessing. The bouquet was tied with the same silk as her gown.

The fourth picture is one of her sister Annabel Elliot (far left in the blue outfit) with her husband Simon, Laura and Tom Parker-Bowes.

There were some people there I expected to see but Joan Rivers (picture #6)? Also attend ing were musician Phil Collins and his wife Orianne second from last picture) and Trudi Styler (last photo).

Andrew Parker-Bowes and his second wife were also there to my amazement. I thought that was wonderful :D

Attachments

• Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, flowers were tied with the same kind of silk as her gown.jpg
    Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, flowers were tied with the same kind of silk as her gown.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 479
  • Charles and Camilla at St. Georges Cathedral 04-09-05.jpg
    Charles and Camilla at St. Georges Cathedral 04-09-05.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,342
  • Charles and Camilla Wedding - Camilla smiles as she arrives at Guildhall.jpg
    Charles and Camilla Wedding - Camilla smiles as she arrives at Guildhall.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • s sister Annabel Elliot with hubby Simon, Daughter Laura, , father Maj Bruce Shand, son Tom.jpg
    s sister Annabel Elliot with hubby Simon, Daughter Laura, , father Maj Bruce Shand, son Tom.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Charles and Camilla - Following the Archbishop of Canterbury down the aisle.jpg
    Charles and Camilla - Following the Archbishop of Canterbury down the aisle.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 394
  • Charles and Camilla - Joan Rivers.jpg
    Charles and Camilla - Joan Rivers.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 233
  • Charles and Camilla Wedding - The new Duchess of Cornwall.jpg
    Charles and Camilla Wedding - The new Duchess of Cornwall.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Charles and Camilla - Musician Phil Collins with wife Orianne.jpg
    Charles and Camilla - Musician Phil Collins with wife Orianne.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 895
  • Charles and Camilla - Trudi Styler.jpg
    Charles and Camilla - Trudi Styler.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
Coronation' Beats Royal Nuptials on TV

By MICHAEL McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Prince Charles' wedding to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, had as many plot twists as a soap opera, but TV ratings show it didn't compare with the real thing.

A marriage between two veteran characters on TV show "Coronation Street" proved a far bigger hit with British viewers than Saturday's royal event, broadcasters said Monday.

An audience of some 12.1 million tuned in Friday to watch Ken Barlow and Deirdre Rachid tie the knot, the ITV1 channel said. At its peak, the number of viewers hit 12.9 million.

The average audience for the royal wedding was some 9.7 million, ITV1 and Sky News said, giving combined figures that also included the British Broadcasting Corp. Although the civil marriage wasn't broadcast, TV cameras did cover the blessing ceremony at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.

Like Charles and Camilla, Ken and Deirdre are middle-aged divorcees whose eventful romance goes back decades. It was the second time they had married each other.

"Coronation Street," which centers on the lives of ordinary working folk in northern England, has run on British TV for 45 years and regularly tops the ratings.

Although Charles and Camilla's wedding was an also-ran compared with "Coronation Street," it managed better than coverage of the Grand National horse race Saturday.

The BBC's transmission of the steeplechase, one of the biggest races on Britain's equine calendar, drew an average audience of 7.3 million. That peaked at 9.5 million during the race, the BBC said.

The race had been delayed 25 minutes to avoid conflicting with the royal blessing ceremony — which in turn had been postponed a day because of the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

How does the rest of the royal family feel about Camila? Do they accept her?

UPPA Pictures - Part 1 - Wedding at Guildhall

Attachments

• UDW021899_0043.jpg
    UDW021899_0043.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 226
  • UDW021899_0050.jpg
    UDW021899_0050.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 231
  • UGL021898_0883.jpg
    UGL021898_0883.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 220
  • UGL021898_0899.jpg
    UGL021898_0899.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 237
  • UGL021898_0907.jpg
    UGL021898_0907.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 219
  • UGL021898_0913.jpg
    UGL021898_0913.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 279
  • UGL021898_0915.jpg
    UGL021898_0915.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 303
  • UGL021898_0962.jpg
    UGL021898_0962.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 187
  • UDW021899_1269.jpg
    UDW021899_1269.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 229
  • B68_087753_0009.jpg
    B68_087753_0009.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 276
Joan Rivers was on Larry King tonight talking about the wedding. She seemed quite happy for the couple. Apparently she really likes Camilla.

UPPA Pictures - Part 2 - Wedding at Guildhall

Attachments

• B68_087753_0013.jpg
    B68_087753_0013.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 199
  • UDW021899_0094.jpg
    UDW021899_0094.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 278
  • UDW021899_0105.jpg
    UDW021899_0105.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 246
  • UDW021899_0106.jpg