Princess Margaretha of Sweden and John Ambler: June 30, 1964

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STEVEN

Aristocracy
City
xxxxxxxxxxx
Country
Belgium
The couple married in Gärdslösa, Sweden on June 30th 1964.

Sorry, Steven - none of those links works.:sad::sad:

Was Queen Louise of Sweden at her wedding ?

I know she died on March 7, 1965 after a emergency surgery and that her last public appearance was at the Nobel Prize Award Ceremony in December 1964. I cant find a picture of her at Princess Margaretha's wedding nor at the Nobel Prize Ceremony :( If anyone can provide a picture of her at this wedding or at the Nobel Prize Ceremony of 1964 that would be great.

Was Queen Louise of Sweden at her wedding?
Yes, queen Louise was present at the wedding of princess Margaretha and John Ambler, as well as the wedding between pricess Désirée and Niclas Silfverschöld, that took place just three weeks before princess Margaretha's wedding. I saw a photo of queen Louise with queen Ingrid in a Swedish magazine at one of the weddings, she was wearing the same dress to both weddings, a silk dress with a bolero in a flower pattern. The article was about the showing of vintage royal dresses that is on disply in Stockholm at the moment.

Her dress was boring but the tiara is too much!

I wonder how long it took for her to get a headache!

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Haga Princesses, Part 2

Like I said above, I think her dress is boring, but it was a typical wedding dress design of it's time I assume. But truly, what was she thinking wearing that crown?! Just ostentatious.
Why not do some research if you are truly interested in royals. The remark shows a remarkable ignorance. Princess Margaretha is wearing the bridal crown that belongs to the church is which she was married. It is still the custom for many Swedish brides to borrow the bridal crown if one is available at their wedding church. Bridal crowns is a custom dating back to the 16th century.

:previous: I'm constantly learning new things on this forum. The bridal crown tradition is indeed an interesting one. I do, however, think that the one worn by Princess Margaretha is hideously ugly. Perhaps it was the height of fashion at the time it was made, but I do not think it goes with the 1964 wedding gown or hairstyle at all.

:previous: I'm constantly learning new things on this forum. The bridal crown tradition is indeed an interesting one. I do, however, think that the one worn by Princess Margaretha is hideously ugly. Perhaps it was the height of fashion at the time it was made, but I do not think it goes with the 1964 wedding gown or hairstyle at all.
It is not meant to be a fashion statement. Neither are a mantilla or any other head covering women around the world wear when in a house of worship that may not "go with " the outfit being worn.

It was interesting to learn that at Princess Margaretha and John's wedding the altar was flanked with birch trees.
This is the second wedding I have learned about where trees were used as part of the decor.

It was interesting to learn that at Princess Margaretha and John's wedding the altar was flanked with birch trees.
This is the second wedding I have learned about where trees were used as part of the decor.
It's not that uncommon in Sweden to use birch trees as decoration at weddings, if not inside the church so much anymore (due to allergies) so at least outside beside the entrance to the church, as far as I know it's been an old tradition here in Sweden.

I was told that the first years it was a happy marriage, but after things went wrong with his job (bankruptcy) the marriage went wrong too.

It didn't age that well... That tiara is so weird and those flower girls in very short dresses just wouldn't work these days.

It didn't age that well... That tiara is so weird and those flower girls in very short dresses just wouldn't work these days.

Here is a photo of the bridal crown
https://static-cdn.sr.se/sida/images/86/1836264_1200_675.jpg?preset=768x432

And a good photo of Margaretha with it
https://y.cdn-expressen.se/images/df/c8/dfc8cfd81747483fae6549fd8f77be24/16x9/original.jpg

The crown was made in Vimmerby in 1869 and was worn by Princess Margaretha when she married Englishman John Ambler in the mid-60s.
The bridal crown is made of fully gilded silver with hollow peaks and red, blue and green stones. It is valuable so today it is stored in a bank safe.
Brudkrona kan bli årets klenod - P4 Kalmar _ Sveriges Radio

Here is a photo of the bridal crown
https://static-cdn.sr.se/sida/images/86/1836264_1200_675.jpg?preset=768x432

And a good photo of Margaretha with it
https://y.cdn-expressen.se/images/df/c8/dfc8cfd81747483fae6549fd8f77be24/16x9/original.jpg

The crown was made in Vimmerby in 1869 and was worn by Princess Margaretha when she married Englishman John Ambler in the mid-60s.
The bridal crown is made of fully gilded silver with hollow peaks and red, blue and green stones. It is valuable so today it is stored in a bank safe.
Brudkrona kan bli årets klenod - P4 Kalmar _ Sveriges Radio
I'm sure it's really valuable and nice to see a close-up; but on the bride's head it still looks like antlers to me...

Last edited:
[...] Princess Margaretha is wearing the bridal crown that belongs to the church is which she was married. It is still the custom for many Swedish brides to borrow the bridal crown if one is available at their wedding church. Bridal crowns is a custom dating back to the 16th century.

Personally, I am pleased that a Swedish royal princess followed Swedish custom for her wedding, even if this particular church's bridal crown may not be as attractive as others.

Back
Top Bottom