Princess Haya of Jordan to Sheikh Mohamad Bin Rashad Al-Maktoum of Dubai: 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that is Princess Haya behind SM ...the lady looks like her !!! god knows :)

To me it doesn't look like Haya. Maybe that is S.M's first wife. That picture looks like it was taken in England. If that were Haya, I'm sure someone would have seen the picture b4 now.

I just happened to be surfing the web and was shocked when I saw the photo of Princess Haya and her new husband. She's 30, gorgeous, smart, brought up and certainly influenced by a western stepmother...... This just seems so out of character. She looks so young and innocent and he looks like her grandfather, for goodness sake. I did not know until I read the postings here he was married. I don't think King Hussein would've approved one bit. I do agree with those who think this is a looking for a father thing. Being one of 12 children with a very busy father and losing her mother at such a young age, I wonder how much that impacted her choice. It just seems so odd. I know King Hussein was 16 years older than Queen Noor but somehow that didn't seem as unappealing. I read Princess Haya and her new husband share a love of horses but is that enough? I always saw her as someone who could have her pick of husbands and this choice was unexpected and difficult to understand. How many wives does he have now? I don't get it.

Mary Shawn

Haya is a grown woman and I'm sure she went into this decesion with her eyes wide open.

Originally posted by maryshawn@Apr 17th, 2004 - 6:01 pm
I know King Hussein was 16 years older than Queen Noor but somehow that didn't seem as unappealing.
i agree with you, may be its the fact that King Hussein was much more attractive than this guy that Haya is getting married too. I can kind of try to get pass the age gap but the looks, i dont understand how such a beautiful woman can be attracted to such an unattractive person.

poor girl... he is so old and she is so preetty and young... :(

do you think she'll dress as rania? or is dubai a more conservative country than jordan? maybe she will have to wear her burka always...

Yes, I agree with Tanya. PH is definitely a full grown woman and can make fully conscious decisions for herself. I don't think that age should be much of an issue. Some people claim that her husband is "unattractive" and that PH is so "beautiful". Hmm, I think that too many people get influenced with the media's "interpretation" and "perception" of what beauty is. Perhaps PH is just open minded and doesn't give into cultural norms of what beauty truly is.

maryshawn stated the following:

"She's 30, gorgeous, smart, brought up and certainly influenced by a western stepmother......"

LOL is this an implication that marrying old men is a 100% traditional Muslim non-western thing? LOL The last time I checked, I read in the book Gone with the Wind that Scarlett O'Hara's mother married a very old man (it was a cultural norm a few centuries for WESTERN countries and in certain European countries around the world it still is). Who else, Katharine Zeta Jones, Mina Suvari and oh yes even Anna Nicole Smith all hitched up with much older men. Calista Flockhart and Harrision Ford are/were another item (Harrison's about thirty years older than Calista). Warren Beaty is much much older than his wife Anette Benning. Secondly, you yourself stated that PH was influenced by QR, "her Western stepmother" who btw herself married an older man so the argument doesn't 100% make sense. Anyway, as far as older men marrying younger women goes, atleast from a religious point of view, the prophet Muhammad's first wife was fifteen years HIS SENIOR.

As for carlota's statement:

"do you think she'll dress as rania? or is dubai a more conservative country than jordan? maybe she will have to wear her burka always..."

I believe that Dubai is a so-called "modern" country according to a friend of mine who actually lives there (probably a traditional country at the same time though), but I believe that if she does have to cover up, she'll probably only partially cover her hair (I saw a picture of Sheikha Hind, SM's other wife wearing hijab-like headwear that was only partially covering her head). But LOL you do realize that some women ACTUALLY LIKE wearing burkas, even though I "personally" believe that covering your whole body isn't an Islamic practice.

Anyway, I don't think that looks and age should be much of an issue. The only thing that I don't agree with is that PH married an already married man because in my opinion, the circumstances didn't quite fit in with the practice. I believe that she probably did do it for hierarchal and caste reasons but again, who am I to judge? Its her life and she can do whatever she wants.

lovy_bear Posted on Apr 18th, 2004 - 4:10 pm
but again, who am I to judge? Its her life and she can do whatever she wants. 

lovy_bear,
Nicely written, but I particularly like the part that has been quoted. I believe it is high time that we stopped analysing the reasons and rationalising why PH and SM have gotten married.

well said layla and lovy bear.
You dont have to know much about Haya to figure out that she's an extremely independant young woman. Im sure that her decision to marry must've have come after a lot of thought and consideration. So what if she has to dress a little more conservatively, she certainly doesn't seem to mind. Its not like she's shut up in a palace in the desert somewhere. From the recent pictures we've seen, she's still indulging in her love of sports, promoting arab women athletes. Appearances and age aren't the most important things and I dont think she's so shallow anyway.

Originally posted by carlota@Apr 18th, 2004 - 2:12 pm
poor girl... he is so old and she is so preetty and young... :(

do you think she'll dress as rania? or is dubai a more conservative country than jordan? maybe she will have to wear her burka always...
Just wanted to make a little correction if you dont mind.
The dress Haya's wearing is not called a burka.
As far as im concerned, it may not be what Rania wears but its still just as pretty.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 18th, 2004 - 8:57 pm
she has a emerald tiara (it's imo not very good looking) and a necklace that converts to a tiara (diamond). It's not quite as impressive as Haya's, but it's not bad.
I suppose that Rania could borrow from someone else. Do any of Abdullah's sisters have tiaras? She may have to borrow from them. I definitely don't see Haya's tiara traveling between Jordan, Dubai and wherever else it may go for official functions.

:yuk: Ewww.. Why did she marry him? I guess like someone said before, she is searching for a father figure and he is old enough to be her father. Poor Girl:(

Well, they have things in common, love of horses, both are royal.
They also seem to enjoy each other's company. Why not marry?

hey guys, just to let you know, the tiara discussion was moved to the Royal Jewels forum under the Queen Raina thread. Feel free to discuss the tiara ramificatons there.

:huh:
Originally posted by mya@Apr 17th, 2004 - 12:42 pm
what does it mean for the first wife? .........hmmmm less sex. Damn I hate that...hehehehehe
I'm sure Haya will want the lights to be off every time daddy wants to play with her. :angry: :doh:

God help her :shock:

But it has nothing to do with either him or her except that Dubai has made more money from tourism than oil... if you're going to post articles, at least make sure they are relevant to the topic.

Originally posted by alia_musallam@Apr 20th, 2004 - 9:35 pm
But it has nothing to do with either him or her except that Dubai has made more money from tourism than oil... if you're going to post articles, at least make sure they are relevant to the topic.

I am an Administrator on this board, therefore I do not need for anyone to tell me what to post.

The article was posted in this thread because of the mention of women in Dubai and the variation of their style and demeanor within was is said to be a very conservative Muslim nation. Being that part of the discussion about Haya's marriage involved questions about her dress and whether or not she will wear traditional or Western clothing it was posted here as a point of interest. It was also posted as a point of information about Dubai which is the country to be Haya's new home. An article need not mention Haya or Sheikh Mohammed directly to be completely relevant. It may be relevant or of interest simply for its background information. This article contains information and facts about Dubai, a monarchy, thus royalty related. Dubai is also the country that has a Crown Prince whom has just married a Princess of Jordan. Both individuals are discussed in this thread.

If you or anyone else is not interesed feel free to disregard the post. However, there is to be no scolding here of anyone. It is for the Administrators and the Moderators of LTR to decide what posts are to be removed and considered to be off topic or deemed to be relevant.

:flower: Just curious, has it actually been made public as to where Haya will live full time -- ie Dubai, Jordan, or Europe? I guess place of residency would would have been stipulated in the marriage contract.

Thanks,

Sean

Originally posted by Balqis@Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:11 pm
Scolding or just making an observation? There is a difference.
Let's be clear here. This is not going to become a discussion. I have made my point and a statement has been issued concerning the article and its relation to this thread. If this thread becomes a discussion about the two previous posts, it will be closed as this is definitely off topic and no longer has anything to do with Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammed.

Team Members reserve the right to clarify any post or statement questioning the judgements of posters and that of LTR Mods, and Admins. Now, that it has been done, I suggest that all posters move on immediately.

This thread will continue to discuss, Princess Haya, Sheikh Mohammed, members of the Royal Families of Jordan and Dubai as they relate to the the Princess and the Sheikh, information pertaining to those individuals, their respective countries and so on. Any other discussion may be done so privately.

No other posts of this nature will be made. If the ability to continue to discuss the intended topic is no longer possible, this thread will be closed.

If there are any other statments or questions, please forward them to Team Members privately.

Originally posted by Sean.~@Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:23 pm
:flower: Just curious,  has it actually been made public as to where Haya will live full time -- ie Dubai, Jordan, or Europe?   I guess place of residency would would have been stipulated in the marriage contract.

Thanks,

Sean
I haven't heard anything. It isn't clear as of yet. I think that Haya has spent a vast majority of her time in Europe with the riding circuit. She has a great passion for horses and sport, so I find it hard to believe that she will give up this interest. However, I am not certain as to how Haya will incorporate this interest into her marriage and if avid travel will be possible.

Being that Haya is not a first wife, she may have more opportunity to pursue her own interests. Also, Dubai is also known for several sporting events pertaining to equestrianism. Perhaps Haya will devote her kowledge to events in Dubai. If she channels her passion and focus into events in Dubai, she may spend more time there. Either way, I think that Dubai will most likely become her main home.

Are there any more recent news about the couple? JRF seems to make the headlines of european magazines quite often but I can't remember ever finding anything about Dubai's.
I'm just wondering because I've been searching the news online but there seems to be nothing more after the wedding announcement.

Cheers

Of course, P. Haya and SM have discussed that residency issue before they get married. I also think that Dubai is the most probable new home of P.Haya.

Maybe we could see Haya as the "Rania' or 'Noor' of Dubai in the days to come ;)

Originally posted by nouwrein@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 2:45 am
Of course, P. Haya and SM have discussed that residency issue before they get married. I also think that Dubai is the most probable new home of P.Haya.
Well, these things are never written in stone, particularly since she is the second wife. She may very well live in Europe (as she has) or even Jordan for most of the year. Usually the marriage contract would specifiy place of residence etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Thanks,

Sean

Just to clarify that Dubai is not a country but one of the 7 emirates in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The UAE is a federation of 7 emirates each with its own independent government relating to internal issues only, and abides by the Federal Law of Abu Dhabi (the capital of the UAE) pertaining to issues of external and bigger internal issues.

The ruler of the emirate of Dubai is Sheikh Maktoum, and the crown prince is his brother: Sheikh Mohammed (Princess Haya's husband).

The ruler of the emirate of Abu Dhabi is Sheikh Zayed, and the crown prince is his son: Sheikh Khalifa.

The President of UAE is Sheikh Zayed of Abu Dhabi, and the Vice President is Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai.

On the hierachy of the UAE government versus Dubai Government, Sheikh Mohammed is the Minister of Defence of the UAE, and the Crown Prince of Dubai.

Originally posted by madonna23@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 6:49 am
is it amman and dubai getting married or sm and haya? :eek:
I suppose this is a look back at how and why royal marriages used to be arranged in Europe. The main driving force was the benefits for the countries involved, the individuals were a secondary concern.

Back
Top Bottom