Princess Haya of Jordan to Sheikh Mohamad Bin Rashad Al-Maktoum of Dubai: 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure she will mother some children. The interesting thing is that the Sheikh (who is the Crown Prince of Dubai and who in reality is running the whole show) has the right to choose his successor. You never know.... Haya's son might become the next successor.

I saw her wedding ceremony on the tv
Her dress is soo simple I loved it
She didn’t really have a wedding party
Her close family just sat down and talked because her husband is “shekh” She looked so pretty.
is she 32 or 29!! i thought she's older than Ali and ali is now about 31

Originally posted by bluetortuga@Apr 11th, 2004 - 6:41 am

~Humera~ I agree with most of what you said except the point on Q. Noor. P. Haya hasn't wanted much to do with Q. Noor since K. Hussein died. As a matter of fact, on P. Haya former website (teamharmony.net no longer exists), she did not even mention Q. Noor by name once. P. Haya's a big woman and capable of making her own decisions. I don't think P. Haya would have wanted Q. Noor's advice anyway. If I were Q. Noor, and my former step-child treated me like that, I'd allow them go off on their own too.

I know queen noor doesn't have a good relationship with Haya but its still sad dont you think? I mean, now her stepchildren will treat her the same way she treated Queen Noor. I wouldn't say I'd blame them. Its a sad cycle.
Although i do agree that Haya's quite independant and wouldn't have let anyone dissaude her from marrying this guy. Its a sad reality but there are so many women out there who make foolish matches for one reason or another. Besides, she wouldn't have married him if she didnt think she had more than a few reasons to do so.

Originally posted by tayoobeh@Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:06 pm
I saw her wedding ceremony on the tv
Her dress is soo simple I loved it
She didn’t really have a wedding party
Her close family just sat down and talked because her husband is “shekh” She looked so pretty.
is she 32 or 29!! i thought she's older than Ali and ali is now about 31
yeah thats another thing I was disappointed with. She should've had a beautiful wedding celebration. I thought she looked absolutely angelic in the white dress.
But i suppose her husband has had enough wedding parties and didn't want to have another one.

I am really shocked!!!!! :sick: such a beautiful girl with an old man like Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum ...my god!!!!!

I know queen noor doesn't have a good relationship with Haya but its still sad dont you think? I mean, now her stepchildren will treat her the same way she treated Queen Noor. I wouldn't say I'd blame them. Its a sad cycle.
Although i do agree that Haya's quite independant and wouldn't have let anyone dissaude her from marrying this guy. Its a sad reality but there are so many women out there who make foolish matches for one reason or another. Besides, she wouldn't have married him if she didnt think she had more than a few reasons to do so.

I have to agree with you. The situation is a sad one for P. Haya. She'll be integrated into another clan with no blood relatives around. And I'm sure there'll be hard feelings because S. Mohammed will have to raise her profile at the expense of his other wives. She's the daughter and sister of prominent kings; he will treat her differently than if she was just any other woman. I hope her marriage works out and that she will find happiness.

I think P. Haya married S. Mohammed to have a father figure in her life again and for protection. That is understandable given her circumstances: losing both natural parents at young age. Of all of K. Hussein's children, Abeer, Haya and Ali are orphans - no parents. These three must have felt extremely vulnerable after losing their dad in 1999. S. Mohammed, while alive, will fill that void for P. Haya. He's a fatherly figure, and will protect her because I'm think he loves her dearly. I hope that some day she and Q. Noor can work out their differences.

I hope that Haya and Queen Noor can work out their differences as well. They seemed to have a very good relationship at one time. Haya once said that she owed many of her endeavors in life to Queen Noor supporting her. It's sad that the two are no longer very close. I do have hope, however, that they will become close again.

Haya is somewhat entering a situation very similar to that of the one that Queen Noor entered when she married King Hussein. She had many pass wives and their memories to contend with along with many stepchildren. Queen Noor knows what it is like to not be a first wife (of course King Husseins marriages had been disolved by divorce and Queen Alia passed away) and to be a step mother. Queen Noor was also very close to Haya's age when she took on all of these things and even moved to another country as has Haya.

I think that it would serve both women well to be close once again, especially Haya. I think that there is much that she and Queen Noor can share about these subjects.

how old are the sheik's kids? i think haya is closer in age to them then she is to him...

Princess Haya is 29
Crown Prince Shiekh Mohamad Bin Rashad Al-Maktouam is 55

I don't know why everyone is talking like that about Haya. It was her choice to get married with the sjeikh if that makes her happy. His first wife accepted her husbands choice to take another wife. Haya accpeted to be in this position. That's all about being 'modern'. Having the right to make your own choices. I don't think you can judge her because of that. We all grown up and can do what we think is good for us.
And Haya doesn't need to look for a father figure. She had a father till recently. And she is not a 'orphan' because she has a big family who support and love her.

If really, she married a married man, for me, she is not better than a courtesan

Originally posted by rosa@Apr 12th, 2004 - 7:39 am
If really, she married a married man, for me, she is not better than a courtesan
Thats a western point of view. People always seems to believe that the best way to think.
In arab world if a man marries another woman she is seen as his wife and they respect her as his wife. Not as a mistress.
She has done nothing against Islam. If she wants to be one of the wives and it is her choice then we respect that. Haya seems to be an intelligent young lady so no one can tell her what to do even if they think differently.

Hello everyone!

I just have one question and if it's a stupid question please forgive me - Was this an arranged marriage or was it by choice? :blink:

Here's a bit of update on this sizzling topic.

The Arabic News Channel Al-Arabiya broadcast a program about Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammed. Apparently it was a big love story that began a long time ago. And they say love is blind, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt (even though I have no respect for women who become second wives etc.).

Sheikh Mohammed has one wife only: Sheikha Hind Al-Maktoum. A few years ago he wanted to marry Sheikha Eliaziyah of Abu Dhabi (Sheikh Zayed's daughter) as his second wife but was refused by the Nahyan Royal Family (specifically Sheikh Zayed himself) as they found this very insulting to Sheikha Hind. Thumbs up to the Nahyans!!!

It is customary for congratulations to be published to the Crown Prince in the UAE papers. He gets congratulated left and right when he (or even one of his sons) wins a horse competition! The talk around Dubai is that the Maktoum Palace is not pleased with this match (no prominent people from the UAE were present at the wedding/engagement. It was just the Jordanian royals). Another interesting point is that Sheikh Mohammed was seen in his office (WORKING) in Dubai this morning. So much for an expedited honey moon.

The article about Sheikh Mohammed being married to a Salma is not accurate. I think his brother, Sheikh Hamdan, was the one who got married in 1980. Not sure...

The bottom line is that this match was Haya's choice. What it tells me is that the media has made her to be bigger than what she really is. Everyone is mentioning how disappointed they are in her. I say, we just got a glimpse of what she REALLY is like. Even if she is in love with him, becoming a second wife is very humiliating to the first wife. I wonder what her reaction will be when her husband falls in love with another in a few years, and marries for a third time...

Oops.... forgot to mention that NO congratulations have been published in ANY UAE newspaper so far.

I read somewhere that in Dubi the people don't like foreigner marrying into the RF. So she might be called "The Jordanian" by the people.

wow layla....where r u from??? i thouhgt only insiders knew the info about elyazia!!!!!
anyway lets hope them every hapiness!!!

Hello has an article about the wedding. Same photos everywhere.

Hello

12 APRIL 2004
Princess Haya of Jordan, half-sister to King Abdullah and daughter of the late King Hussein, has married the crown prince of Dubai, General Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum. The private ceremony took place on Saturday, and was attended only by close family members.

The princess is the elder of two children Hussein had with his third wife, Alia Toukan. The royal, who turns 30 on May 3, graduated from Oxford University in Politics, Philosophy and Economics and is a keen horsewoman who spent time on a stud farm in Ireland after graduating.

She was also the first women in Jordan with a licence to drive heavy vehicles and articulated lorries. "My father's nickname for me is 'The Trucker'," she revealed in a 1996 interview in HELLO! "When I am in Jordan I go to truckers' cafes and chat to everybody."

The independent princess said in the same interview: "I don't think I could be happy without a career. I've got far too much energy and I get bored easily. I would drive a husband mad as I have to be out of the house."

Her groom, who is 55, is the Minister of Defence of the United Arab Emirates as well as being the crown prince of Dubai, one of the seven emirates that make up the rapidly developing region.

King Abdullah and Queen Rania were both present at the wedding ceremony, which was held in the al-Baraka palace in Amman. Also present was Crown Prince Hamzah, the son of King Hussein and his fourth wife, American-born Queen Noor; Abdullah's brother Prince Faisal, and the princess' full brother Prince Ali.

In just a few weeks' time, Jordanians will have more nuptial festivities on May 27, the date for the official public celebrations of Crown Prince Hamzah's private 2003 wedding with Princess Noor Hamzah.

If Princess Haya is happy, then I am happy for her. However I don't like the idea of a man having more than one wife, royal or not.

Some of the male members of the Sheikh's family attended, for example his son. He had a whole entourage with him I believe. You don't know if there will or won't be a public celebration. Hamzeh's May festivities weren't announced until much later. We shall wait and see.

they were not mentioned in any of the articles and i didn't see them in any of the pictures...maybe they didn't want to be photographed?

Originally posted by Layla@Apr 11th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
I am sure she will mother some children. The interesting thing is that the Sheikh (who is the Crown Prince of Dubai and who in reality is running the whole show) has the right to choose his successor. You never know.... Haya's son might become the next successor.
Wouldn't that be the same situation like Haya's papa and stepmother. Guess who got the crown eventually, Abdullah. You can plan, but fate would say otherwise. And by the way crown prince is not king, so things could change you never know.

Also, things are not always peachy in a huge multiple branch family. Haya should know since she is from one. Tough job ahead I must say.

I am getting really sick of the vitriole against Queen Rania but I suppose when you are beautiful, a queen and have a wonderful family the world is going to be jealous!

I am getting tired of it too. So many people seem to waste their energy on saying negative things about Rania. If you don't like her then why bother to concentrate on her unless you can't help yourself :p . It's all envy I think and envious people like to spread gossip and stories to make them feel better for some unknown reason :rolleyes:

It is obviously a family decision as her maternal uncles were also present. Princess Haya seems to have a good relationship with her brother King Abdullah and with Rania. It was her tiara, which had previously belonged to her mother, that Rania wore during the coronation festivities.

Haya seems to very close to Rania and respects and admires her. Anyways Haya is a big girl and wouldn't let anyone force any decision on her.

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Apr 10th, 2004 - 11:57 pm
So was this a marriage ceremony or an engagement? (like the Petra website says)

Anyway, when I first saw the pictures I simply couldn't believe that she'd marry someone like that. He looks old and unattractive while Haya looks as young and pretty as ever. What a waste!
I simply cant imagine what she must have been thinking. Forget King Abdullah and the others, why didn't Prince Ali speak out against this marriage? What brother would want his sister to end up with a man like that, no matter how rich he is?
I cant help thinking the poor girl would've done a lot better had her parents been alive. And it certainly doesnt say much about Queen Noor. I dont care if she is the stepmother, she should've said something about the match, guided princess Haya perhaps. I dont think she'd let any of her own daughters make such a foolish match.
I honestly feel so very sorry for Haya. But I hope it works out and she'll be happy.
Sometimes you can do nothing to sway the mind of a stubborn child. Perhaps the family did speak out against it but maybe it's what she wanted.

Originally posted by Dunya@Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:52 am
I don't know why everyone is talking like that about Haya. It was her choice to get married with the sjeikh if that makes her happy. His first wife accepted her husbands choice to take another wife. Haya accpeted to be in this position. That's all about being 'modern'. Having the right to make your own choices. I don't think you can judge her because of that. We all grown up and can do what we think is good for us.
I agree on that however it is in our nature to be suspicious of such a thing since we are all used to hearing how women in those parts of the world do not have the same freedoms as the rest of us. The wife might have very well been pressured to agree & even though it is against the law to force a wife to agree, that would be very hard to prove. As for Haya we don't know her motive. Maybe she wanted to marry royalty, maybe it was family pressure or her own idea to ensure Jordan's safety & keep loads of money in the family. Or maybe she does love the guy. We just don't know.

On several of these point I can see where she may have thought this a good desicion.

I know I would want to ensure the safety of my country as well. However I don't know if she gets any money when the Prince passes away. If she is not assured some financial gain then I don't see any vaildity to her marrying for the money. I doubt she would marry just so her male family members could get some money.

from the little information I have of the situation it seems to me that she most likely married him because #1 they probably get along & he has agreed to give her certain things (horses, a title, some money of her own, & to ensure the safety of Jordan.). These are all valid reasons.

If u have read any of the previous threads about PHaya, u will read the rumours from ages ago that she and Sheikh Mohammed were having an affair, why they got married is a different question but i think that it was her choice, no one forced her and i don't think it was a rushed decision. i also think a reason might be that she might be or want to get pregnant but we will find out soon enough if that is the case!

The reason none of his family are in the photos of them signing is because he is considered to be able to do the katb al kitab himself, whereas a woman is always with her guardian, or guardians in this case who are supposed to negotiate the contract and bride price with him on her behalf. i'm also sure that there will be a big party as they are not considered married until it happens, but they will wait until after hamza, and it will happen in dubai

as for being the second wife, there is nothing wrong with that. she is a princess and business woman in her own right, and has lived long enough in both europe and the middle east to judge for herslef whether she is prepared to accept that. i do not believe the arab times when it says that his first wife did not know that it was happening. all respect to her but i think that if this is a marriage of love or lust, it is a marriage of choice, unlike SM's first marriage and as such has equal value as to the happiness of SM and PHaya

Concerning what she will receive if he dies, i think that he will probably have quite a few years left to go before then, however i would presume that details like this (inheritance, alimony, freedom to take another wife, etc) will have been written up in the marriage contract... this is an integral part of islamic marriage and is very similar to a modern prenup

Back
Top Bottom