Princess Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh, 20 November 1947

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgrant

Courtier
City
Charleston
Country
United States
I found some wonderful black and white photos of the wedding of QE II on Getty Images and I want to share them with everyone. :D

Princess Elizabeth enters Westminister Abbey on the arm of her father, King George VI. The detail in the picture is not that great :(

Princess Elizabeth and her father, King George VI, are surrounded by bridesmaids as they arrange Princess Elizabeth's veil and train before they walk down the aisle of Westminister Abbey.

Princess Elizabeth's bridal sandals - they are made with duchesse satin with silver buckles studded with small pearls.

Attachments

• Princess Elizabeth enters Westminister Abbey 2.jpg
    Princess Elizabeth enters Westminister Abbey 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,955
  • Bridesmaids arranging Princess Elizabeth's veil and train.jpg
    Bridesmaids arranging Princess Elizabeth's veil and train.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,425
  • Elizabeth's wedding sandals.jpg
    Elizabeth's wedding sandals.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,834
Last edited by a moderator:
its almost 60 years!

the HM Queen and Prince Philip been couple for 57 years but i cant wait for both to become 60 years to celebration!

Sara Boyce

Wedding service in Westminister: King George VI gives the bride away

sara1981 said:
its almost 60 years!

the HM Queen and Prince Philip been couple for 57 years but i cant wait for both to become 60 years to celebration!

Sara Boyce
Yes, that would be something worth waiting to see! I look forward to any and all royal celebrations (especially weddings :D!)

In the first, King George VI gives Princess Elizabeth's hand in marriage to Lt. Philip Mountbatten. The second photo is of the Dr. GeoffreyFisher, the Archbishop of Cantebury and Officiant at the Princess's wedding ceremony.

Attachments

• Elizabeth's father gives her away.jpg
    Elizabeth's father gives her away.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Elizabeth - Dr. Geoffrey Fisher, Archb of Cant officiant.jpg
    Elizabeth - Dr. Geoffrey Fisher, Archb of Cant officiant.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 941
Wedding Ceremony photos

These are photos taken during various points in the ceremony.

Attachments

• Elizabeth - kneeling before archbishop.jpg
    Elizabeth - kneeling before archbishop.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,534
  • Elizabeth with father during wedding.jpg
    Elizabeth with father during wedding.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,049
  • Elizabeth during her wedding.jpg
    Elizabeth during her wedding.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,148
Last edited:
what a great find mgrant! Elizabeth really was such a beautiful bride.

This photo shows the 15-foot train of Princess Elizabeth's wedding gown in great detail.

The newlyweds, Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip leaving the Abbey by coach.

Attachments

• Elizabeth-gown train detail.jpg
    Elizabeth-gown train detail.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Elizabeth and Philip in coach after wedding.jpg
    Elizabeth and Philip in coach after wedding.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,242
Last edited by a moderator:
Balcony shots

.......and what would a royal wedding be without all those endless photos of the happy (and maybe a tad exhausted!) newlywed couples waving from the balcony :D?

The first photo is Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip (duh!) :)

The second photo is from left to right: King George VI, Princess Margaret Rose, Lady Mary Cambridge (behind Princess Margaret), the Princess Bride, the groom, Queen Elizabeth, and her mother Queen Mary.

The third photo shows the entire bridal party (not listed in order of appearance!) Princess Margaret Rose, Margaret Elphinstone, Diana Bowes-Lyon, Lady Caroline Montague Douglas-Scott, Lady Elzabeth Lambert, the Marquis of Milford-Haven, Lady Mary Cambridge and Lady Pamela Mountbatten. There are two train bearers and one is named Prince William but I don't know if that's him in this picture! :p

Attachments

• Elizabeth with wedding party and husband on balcony.jpg
    Elizabeth with wedding party and husband on balcony.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Elizabeth - Wedding wave from balcony 2.jpg
    Elizabeth - Wedding wave from balcony 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,511
  • Elizabveth and Philip waving from balcony 3.jpg
    Elizabveth and Philip waving from balcony 3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,783
Last edited:
Let them eat cake (?)

First photo: Mr. Schur (the one in the middle), chief confectioner for McVitie and Price, stands in front admiring his masterpiece, Princess Elizabeth's wedding cake.

Second Photo: The cake stands alone :D The cake had four tiers, stood 9 feet high and weighed 500 pounds. (That's a lot of cake, people!)

Third Photo: The wedding cake was decorated with armorial bearings and the two bottom layers had scenes from the lives of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

Attachments

• Elizabeth- Mr. Schur, chief confectioner McVitie & Price, LTD (c).jpg
    Elizabeth- Mr. Schur, chief confectioner McVitie & Price, LTD (c).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Elizabeth - Wedding cake view 3.jpg
    Elizabeth - Wedding cake view 3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,755
  • Elizabeth wedding cake detail - scenes from their lives are on bottom two tiers.jpg
    Elizabeth wedding cake detail - scenes from their lives are on bottom two tiers.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,607
Wedding Portrait

There is already a thread for official wedding portraits and of course, I've put one (maybe two, I can't remember!) of Princess Elizabeth's wedding party there somewhere on pages 4 and 5. Go over there and take a peek :D

I this is my personal favorite - it shows Princess Elizabeth beaming up at Prince Philip. The photo also show in detail that lovely 15 foot train.

Attachments

• Elizabeth smiles at her husband in wedding portrait.jpg
    Elizabeth smiles at her husband in wedding portrait.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,144
Last edited:
Wedding Gifts

As everyone knows, royal bridal couples receive a ton of gifts. These are just a few of the tonnage.

First photo: Princess Elizabeth's little sister, Princess Margaret Rose, gave her and Prince Philip this luxurious picnic box set.

Second photo: All newlywed couples need glassware to keep them from using old jelly jars for iced tea glasses :) Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip never had that problem. The glassware in the top row of the showcase are from the Crown Prince and Princess of Sweden. The glassware in the middle are President and Mrs. Truman, and other Americans. The glassware on the bottom shelf came from Czechoslovakia.

Third photo: The silver oval fruit dish came from a group of women in Twickenham who shared the Princess's names, Elizabeth, Alexandra, Mary.

Attachments

• Eliazabeth-wedding gift from sis.jpg
    Eliazabeth-wedding gift from sis.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 683
  • Elizabeth - Wedding glassware detailed.jpg
    Elizabeth - Wedding glassware detailed.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,919
  • Elizabeth - Wedding gift oval silver fruit dish.jpg
    Elizabeth - Wedding gift oval silver fruit dish.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,296
Wedding Gifts

The diamonds in the jewelry in this photo were given to Princess Elizabeth during a visit to South Africa. The tiara in the photo is QE II's favorite which she wears frequently :)

Attachments

• Elizabeth- Jeweled wedding gifts 2.jpg
    Elizabeth- Jeweled wedding gifts 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,055
This is the last wedding gift picture, I promise!

The Canadians gave the newlywed royal couple silver candlesticks and a chest of drawers.

Attachments

• Elizabeth - silver candlesticks chest of drawers at St. James Palace.jpg
    Elizabeth - silver candlesticks chest of drawers at St. James Palace.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,227
Last edited:
Engagement portraits

Two portraits of Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten.

In the black and white photo, their engagement portrait, you can see just a small glimpse of Princess Elizabeth's diamond engagement ring......

The color photo of the royal couple was taken shortly before their wedding.

Attachments

• Elizabeth - Shortly before her wedding 2.jpg
    Elizabeth - Shortly before her wedding 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,147
  • Elizabeth - Official engagement picture.jpg
    Elizabeth - Official engagement picture.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,162
mgrant said:
Princess Elizabeth's bridal sandals - they are made with duchesse satin with silver buckles studded with small pearls.
the bride sandals seems designed to give a maximum comfort for the bride (look at the shape and material of choiced).

September 1947 - Original caption: Soon to be a member of the English royal family in good standing, Lt. Philip Mountbatten, who gave up a Greek Princedom to become a British subject and the fiance of Princess Elizabeth, is shown with members of the royal Family in the White Drawing Room of Buckingham Palace. The photo was specially taken in connection with the wedding of Lt. Mountbatten and Princess Elizabeth on November 20th. Left to right are Princess Elizabeth, Lt. Mountbatten, Queen Elizabeth, King George and Princess Margaret Rose. APL pictures

Attachments

• APL-Elizabeth 01.jpg
    APL-Elizabeth 01.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 863
  • APL-Elizabeth 02.jpg
    APL-Elizabeth 02.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,199
APL pictures of the wedding.
Rexfeatures pictures of the wedding.

Attachments

• APL-Wedding 01.jpg
    APL-Wedding 01.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,078
  • APL-Wedding 02.jpg
    APL-Wedding 02.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,008
  • APL-Wedding 03.jpg
    APL-Wedding 03.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 824
  • APL-Wedding 04.jpg
    APL-Wedding 04.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 897
  • APL-Wedding 05.JPG
    APL-Wedding 05.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 841
  • APL-Wedding 06.JPG
    APL-Wedding 06.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 174638cc.jpg
    174638cc.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 919
  • 174638dd.jpg
    174638dd.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 831
  • 273415aa.jpg
    273415aa.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 896
Fotomarktplatz pictures of the wedding.

Attachments

• FMP-Wedding 01.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,104
  • FMP-Wedding 02.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 02.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 812
  • FMP-Wedding 03.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 03.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,717
  • FMP-Wedding 04.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 04.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,074
  • FMP-Wedding 05.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 05.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 757
  • FMP-Wedding 06.jpg
    FMP-Wedding 06.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,368
Here's a beautiful wedding picture in colour:

Attachments

• Huwelijk Elizabeth II & Philip.jpg
    Huwelijk Elizabeth II & Philip.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,914
I have always loved her train; I think it's one of my favorites.

I was trying to remember this story, but I'm not sure if I have it all correctly. Didn't some commoners give up their rations from the war to help make Elizabeth's dress?

Gabriella
Yes, they did for the dress and cake.

I think that the offers were turned down because it wasn't possible to accept them (it was illegal or something).
However, the government increased Elizabeth's rations so she could have a dress fit for a princess.

they both look so young. :)
can anyone tell me how they met? i heard a rumour that Elizabeth's father didn't want her marrying so young?

Some sources say Elizabeth was 13, Philip 18, when the royal family was visiting the naval academy (Dartmouth, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong). Others will say it was years earlier when Princess Marina of Greece married one of Elizabeth's uncles (George, Duke of Kent) in 1934. I believe that it's the first, as Elizabeth would have been only 8 at George and Marina's wedding.

It's always been listed in the "official" bios that she fell for him in 1939 at that visit to Dartmouth.

Her dad didn't want her to marry so young, and, according to some bios, thought Philip was uncouth, impoverished and poorly dressed. Her mother also thought she was too young. They wanted her to have a bit more fun before settling down because the years she would have been out having fun occurred during the war and recovery period.

Fifty-nine years is quite an accomplishment!:lol: They have certainly had their share of ups and downs over the years but to have endured as long as they have together is noteworthy in my opinion. Congratulations to them both.

Softly spaced throughout the richly embroidered white satin wedding dress were placed garlands of pearl, orange blossom, syringa, jasmine and white rose of york. These were skilfully combined with flowing lines of wheat ears (the symbol of fertility), worked in pearls. The design was repeated throughout the length of the fifteen foot train and repeated motifs of this embroidery bordered the sweetheart neckline, the long satin sleeves and the hem.

Similar motifs were also featured on the bridesmaids' dresses.In this photo hosted by fashion-era, we can see Princess Margaret wearing a dress with the motifs as those on her sister's dress:

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/1914-1950/margbrdsmd.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom