Princess Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh, 20 November 1947

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this may be moved to another thread, but I wanted to post this since it's the Queen's wedding footage at Westminster Abbey. It's in black & white but you can still tell how beautiful the ceremony was. I love the choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnyzWAkmAc&NR=1

Great video, but just so you know, that video has embedding disabled, so people will have to go to YouTube to watch it anyway.

Who how large Prince Williams will be in comparison

Princess Grace's wedding gown is my favorite of any royal wedding gown, but Princess Elizabeth is/was the most distinctive and unique of any royal wedding dress, past or present. I love the embroidery on it! And her veil....heavenly!

Thank you so much Ghost Night I've never seen any color film of the wedding, it was nice to see the details like that the aisle runner was red, I always thought it was blue.

The color video is wonderful. They showed some footage of it during the broadcast of William and Catherine's wedding. I always about how joyous the wedding was in the bleak days following World War II but you never really felt that with the black and white pictures and videos. The color really showed how beautiful Elizabeth was in that amazing dress and how magical that day truly was.

Could someone tell me what tiara Princess Elizabeth wore?

Princess Elizabeth wore the King George III Fringe Tiara.

Thank you Zonk it's the one piece of information I was missing from my birthday article.

The tune of "The Lord is My Shepherd" was known to the Princess from a Bowes Lyon cousin who sang it in Scotland while visiting with the two princesses. (I believe it was Margaret Rhodes.) Not even the organist of Westminster Abbey could find the written music of this version, but Princess Elizabeth was so adamant about having it her wedding ceremony that HRH asked her cousin to sing it to the organist, who wrote it down in plainsong and then later created the beautiful arrangement heard on the above videos.

It's somehow lovely to think of the very young, twenty-one year old Princess Elizabeth already being so sure of herself and what she wanted. Well, by then HRH had already secured permission to marry Philip Mountbatten and that was supposedly quite a battle between the Princess and her parents, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.:flowers:

Well, by then HRH had already secured permission to marry Philip Mountbatten and that was supposedly quite a battle between the Princess and her parents, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.:flowers:
Yes it was because Elizabeth was so young and Philip was her first real boyfriend. I think her parents wanted her to be sure.

Yes it was because Elizabeth was so young and Philip was her first real boyfriend. I think her parents wanted her to be sure.

Do you think that his nazi in-laws might also have had something to do with it? I know Prince Philip's sisters weren't allowed to attend the wedding and that his side of the family has been kept to the side, even now. It must have been a political sore spot with some of the courtiers and even Queen Elizabeth herself, as she was known for detesting Germans in general ever since her brother was killed in WWI.

Of course, I know that Prince Philip was always against the nazis and served with distinction in the Royal Navy during WWII, so I am not questioning his loyalty at all. I believe the reason Philip took his mother's family name rather than his father's was to downplay the German connection of all of his sisters being married to Germans and at least one to a prominent SS officer, Prince Christoph of Hesse, who served as an intelligence officer to Goring, as an aide to Himmler, etc. Thankfully, he died during the war or that might have made the marriage between Philip and Elizabeth even more politically sensitive.

Thank goodness they did persevere and marry; they're a wonderful example of what true love really entails; devotion, sacrifice, and putting the partner's needs in front of one's own.

I am not really a fan of her wedding dress.The only thing I love about it is the train.It was amazing!

When I saw it up close in 2002 I was blown away. It was and still is simply breathtaking. Of all the Queen's wedding dresses on display at KP in 2002 - Victoria, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth the Queen Mum and Elizabeth II - the best two were Alexandra and Elizabeth II. They were simply beautiful.

Do you think that his nazi in-laws might also have had something to do with it? I know Prince Philip's sisters weren't allowed to attend the wedding and that his side of the family has been kept to the side, even now. It must have been a political sore spot with some of the courtiers and even Queen Elizabeth herself, as she was known for detesting Germans in general ever since her brother was killed in WWI.

Of course, I know that Prince Philip was always against the nazis and served with distinction in the Royal Navy during WWII, so I am not questioning his loyalty at all. I believe the reason Philip took his mother's family name rather than his father's was to downplay the German connection of all of his sisters being married to Germans and at least one to a prominent SS officer, Prince Christoph of Hesse, who served as an intelligence officer to Goring, as an aide to Himmler, etc. Thankfully, he died during the war or that might have made the marriage between Philip and Elizabeth even more politically sensitive.

Thank goodness they did persevere and marry; they're a wonderful example of what true love really entails; devotion, sacrifice, and putting the partner's needs in front of one's own.
While all of the above were valid considerations, I believe the biggest was that from the moment she laid eyes on him that was that. And, if I remember rightly, that was when she was 13! I think they spent the next 9 years trying to point her in other directions, if only to give her some sort of adult comparison to combat the teenage crush.

But, as we know, the heart wants what the heart wants and, after 65 years, we can't say she didn't get it absolutely, gloriously,Blue Star Sapphire, right!

Last edited:
my nan worked for norman hartnell and he wedding dress was similer but she had a wax flower tiara :) it makes me wonder if my nan possibly helped making the queens wedding dress

:previous:
Do tell us if you find out; I think it would be wonderful to know she had been part of that glorious day, even if indirectly. :)

I've always loved the Queen's wedding gown; for me, it's just the type of a gown future Queen should wear. But even prettier than the actual dress was the stunning train. It is in fact one of my favourites ever, with only competition coming from Crown Princess Mette-Marit's and Crown Princess Maxima's trains.

Last edited:
i will pester my dad as my nan she passed away quite some time ago she was in her eighties it would be great if she did :)

This may be unpopular, but I'm not a big fan of Elizabeth's gown. It's definitely not ugly or too much like Diana's; it's just not one of my favs. I will say that it definitely does not look like a 1940's dress.

I'm trying to identify all the people portrayed in this group picture of the wedding of Philip and Elizabeth:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2vaxj0j.jpg

For the moment I've been able to identify (the titles are those they bore at the time):
1st Row:

1. ?
  2. HRH Princess Andreas of Greece and Denmark
  3. HRH The Princess Margaret
  4. HRH Prince William of Gloucester
  5. The Most Hon. The Marquess of Milford Haven
  6. HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh
  7. Lt. HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  8. HRH Prince Michael of Kent
  9. HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent
  10. HM The King
  11. HM The Queen
  12. HRH The Duke of Gloucester
  13. HRH Prince Richard of Gloucester
  14. HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
  15. (?)
  16. HH Princess Helena Victoria
  17. HH Princess Marie Louise
  18. HRH The Crown Prince of Sweden, Duke of Skane

2nd Row:

1. (?)
  2. HRH Princess Marie Bonaparte, Princess George of Greece
  3. HE The Rt. Hon. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
  4. HRH The Duchess of Kent
  5. HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess Regent
  6. HM The Queen of the Hellenes
  7. HM Queen Mary
  8. HM Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain
  9. HM The Queen of Denmark
  10. HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Skane
  11. HRH Princess Irene of Greece

3rd Row:
  1. HM The King of Yugoslavia
  2. (?)
  3. HE Rear Admiral The Rt. Hon. The Earl Mountbatten of Burma
  4. (?)
  5. HRH Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands
  6. HM The King of Norway
  7. HRH Prince George of Greece and Denmark
  8. HRH Prince René of Bourbon-Parma
  9. HM The King of Denmark
  10. HM The King of the Romanians
  11. (?)
  12. HRH Princess Elisabeth of Luxembourg
  13. HRH The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
  14. HRH Princess Eugenie of Greece
Can someone help me to identify the missing people?

Last edited by a moderator:
First row - # 8 is Prince Micheal of Kent. He was one of the two page boys.

Can't help otherwise.

Isn't 2nd row #5 Queen Juliana of the Netherlands?

Number 6, third row - I believe that's the King of Norway.
Incidentally, here is a much larger picture that will help getting the details a bit better.

Last edited:
First row - # 8 is Prince Micheal of Kent. He was one of the two page boys.

Can't help otherwise.
Thank you! I was in doubt if he was Prince Michael or his brother The Duke of Kent.

Isn't 2nd row #5 Queen Juliana of the Netherlands?
I thought Juliana is the first one in the first row, though I'm not 100% sure. If Juliana is the #5 in 2nd row, who is the #1 in the 1st row?

Number 6, third row - I believe that's the King of Norway.
Incidentally, here is a much larger picture that will help getting the detail a bit better.
Thanks for your help, and thanks for finding the larger picture.
Besides, I've noticed just now that behind the King of Norway was another man, of whom only an ear and part of the hair can bee seen.

---

I think #11 in the 2nd row - the tall woman behind Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Gloucester - may be the Duchess of Aosta or her sister the Queen Mother of Romania (born Princesses Irene and Helen of Greece). I'm not totally sure, but I think she is the Duchess of Aosta.

MAfan said:
I thought Juliana is the first one in the first row, though I'm not 100% sure. If Juliana is the #5 in 2nd row, who is the #1 in the 1st row?

Yes, that is Queen Juliana in second row. She's right in front of her husband Prince Bernhard.

Seen this dress twice - first at KP and then at Buckingham Palace. It is stunning and the work and detail that is on the dress is beautiful. It was a perfect dress for the Heiress with the work on the details and emblems. This is a masterpiece by Hartnell and considering the post war difficulties it make sit even more special

Back
Top Bottom