Princess Astrid Of Belgium & Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este 1984

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is after looking at these picture of Lorenz when he was younger that I really begin to see the resemblance between him and his eldest son Amadeo. It's simply undeniable. :)

No, it wasn't a arranged marriage. That doesn't exist anymore in this day and age.

hillary_nugent said:
wow this is the first time i've seen this thread - thanks for the pictures =) haha that dress is so....80s! whoa those poofy sleeves...wonder how she moved her arm lol Astrid married quite young (23)...does anyone know how Astrid and Lorenz met? how long did they date for? ^^

I think they met with "the evening" ( sorry it was not the good word) organized by Albert and Paola for the 18 years of their daughter on June 6, 1980... Thunderbolt ( is this word the just translate for french " coup de foudre ??) practically immediate according to what I believed to understand...or read...

I also know that Lorenz was invited one year later by Albert and Paola on holiday in Greece!!

Finally I intended to say that the secrecy was well kept since the advertisement of their marriage apparently was a total surprise.

thunderbolt is the literal translation for coup de foudre. It really describes what it is :):)

coup de foudre = love at first sight.

This thread has been completely converted to an ImageShack account now so that no images have been directly attached to the forum in an effort to conserve bandwidth.

It would be greatly appreciated if any newly-discovered images from this point forward would be hosted via a private image hosting account such as
Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please also review the images already posted and not re-post the exact same images over and over.

Please note that images which are attached directly to the forum are subject to removal by an Administrator or SuperModerator without notice to the member.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter so that we can all continue to enjoy images of our favourite royals.

The TRF Team

Hannelore said:
thunderbolt is the literal translation for coup de foudre. It really describes what it is :):)

coup de foudre = love at first sight.

thanks...

I thought that the translation was not good

What happened to the then Prince Albert's arm?

I think this wedding had some of the most awful fashions ever. Look at the sleeves on this bride. And look at her mother's alleged "hat." Yikes. Just bad. What were we thinking in the 1980s??

I think this wedding had some of the most awful fashions ever. Look at the sleeves on this bride. And look at her mother's alleged "hat." Yikes. Just bad. What were we thinking in the 1980s??
If one can not accept that fashion change and that some periods are more extreme than other it is perhaps best to not view photos at all. Everyone at the wedding were fashionable and dressed for a royal wedding. Because someone can not put the fashion in its proper period does not make it "awful".

:previous:iowabelle did put the fashion in the proper period, she just happens not to like it.

I think this wedding had some of the most awful fashions ever. Look at the sleeves on this bride. And look at her mother's alleged "hat." Yikes. Just bad.
What were we thinking in the 1980s??

Sitting next to princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg is prince Laurent?

Those sleeves really are ones for the record books! : ) I think it is interesting to see how fashion evolves over the decades.

On another note, I think Princess Marie-Astrid looks so much like her mother, especially now (twenty years later).

Those sleeves really are ones for the record books! : ) I think it is interesting to see how fashion evolves over the decades.
I agree. It was worse than Diana's. At least Diana's, they had structure and the feel of a fairytale dress. Astrid's sleeves collapse like a deflated balloon in some pictures.

I can put it in the context that the 1980s was an age of excess. Glitz, shows like Dallas and Dynasty, Joan Collins and Elizabeth Taylor, shoulder pads, big pouffy skirts, Miami Vice. And even Diana said that in retrospect she wouldn't have chosen that dress... Even the most fashionable of ladies wore these horrors.

And I know I was a 1980s fashion victim too... because I had to emulate Princess Diana. If these things became fashionable once again, this time I would have the strength to just say no.

Aside from the "fashion" everyone, including the bride and groom, looks lovely and wonderful. I wouldn't be impressed by Princess Astrid's wedding gown by any fashion standards. Her beauty and her handsome groom was the only saving grace from the fashion point of view.....

You don't have to be keen on fashion to know that the 80s fashion trends were mostly disastrous. The fashion concept of those days were based on being bold and conspicuous, class and elegance were excluded.

Yes, fashion does evolve....the shoulder pads and bold shapes are making a comeback.

The dress could have looked better without those big puffy sleeves. But both are a beautiful couple and seem happy these days!

Was there any particular reason for Empress Zita not to attend? I didn't see a picture of her at the occassion.

A clip on youtube of the engagement and wedding. The singer is an American friend of Astrid:

Huwelijk Astrid - YouTube

The voice-over is talking about Astrid saved her parents marriage...

Last edited:
One of the ugliest wedding dresses Ive ever seen!

Despite all,it was by the time of the wedding a very romantic couple,by now they continue to be a very strong couple.

Oh good gawd! That is just a horror! People who grew up in the 80s....really?! Did you see something like that and think "Yes, it's beautiful, I'm definitely wearing that". My gawd those sleeves are atrocious. You could take the sleeves off and make her a white mini dress for after the wedding. If it wasn't for the sleeves, I think the gown would have been very beautiful.

:previous: I wonder the same thing about those who were old enough to choose their own clothing in the 80's! :p

These sleeves are a good example of why classic, over trendy, features are best for a wedding dress. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom