Prince Rainier & Grace Kelly: 19 April 1956

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting that video, gfg02, it was a wonderful look into the past. :)

Though I wasn't born when all this happened, I can just imagine what it must have been like, and envy those that were alive to see it! :cool:

By the way, Prince Rainier comes across so wise and intelligent. I particularly enjoyed his view on marriage, that he doesn't believe in love at first sight (a passing flitting thing), rather marriage is about "mutual understanding". How wise. As a testament to that, he & Grace's marriage lasted 26 years until her tragic death in 1982.

Here's hoping Albert & Charlene's last till "death do them part" as well...

Last edited:
Grace Kelly brought an elegance and classic beauty to Monaco that most royal families will never see, She was one of the most beautiful brides of all time.

I wonder why she looked so miserable,even though she wearing a pretty dress!

Grace was not miserable but looked serious and a bit overwhelmed as she later confessed she could see photographers hanging from the ceiling and every corner surrounding her and above her... Sheesh!

Rumour has it that she didn't care for her dress.
Grace was always self deprecating about what she wore... the rumour may have been started by someone in the Grimaldi side as everyone has loved the gown and held it as the platinum standard.

If you read the account of the wedding by Judith Quinn in "The Bridesmaids" , she writes movingly about Grace's behaviour during the day & in one particular passage she comments on her standing alone on the balustrade of the Palace .... " She was alone as anyone I have ever seen in my life". She recalls Grace saying in response to Quinn's remark that there had never been such a wondrous bride "Nor such a tired one!" Clearly the enormity of the step she was about to take must have played on her mind. Later in their lives, both Rainier & Grace were to comment on their dislike of the intrusive nature of the media coverage of the ceremony. Taking such things into consideration it is hardly surprising that Grace appears to be ill at ease in some of the footage.

Both Grace and Rainier would have preferred a quiet wedding in the country, but his status as a sovereign and her unfulfilled contract with MGM necessitated a state wedding with studio cameras rolling.

With the final preparations for Albert's & Charlene's nuptials in mind, this archive report of the wedding rehearsal for Rainier & Grace makes enjoyable reading. Some of the details are quite entertaining - particularly contrasting the unruffled Grace to Rainier's less patient reactions.

The Pittsburgh Press

I think Grace's wedding dress is probably the best royal wedding dress in history, if not the best wedding dress royal or not. After Kate's wedding, and browsing the internet, you see how many royal brides have been inspired by her look.

I think Grace's wedding dress is probably the best royal wedding dress in history, if not the best wedding dress royal or not. After Kate's wedding, and browsing the internet, you see how many royal brides have been inspired by her look.

Like Marie Chantal.

Of all the replicas of and inspirations derived from one of the most stunning wedding dresses of all time, this has to be an insult! The lace and fabric are not attractive at all.

I recently went to the 'Grace Kelly: Style Icon' in Australia. I must say, I was very disappointed in the wedding dress replica -- the fabric and lace looked very, very cheap, and the craftsmanship rather poor. And the veil bore next to no resemblance to the lace motifs on the veil Grace actually wore. The dress she wore for the announcement of the engagement was beautiful, along with her dress from the civil ceremony. I was very surprised by how ordinary the latter dress looked in 'real life' -- it was still beautiful, but the machine lace was not as spectacular as I was expecting.

:bang: wow that does not look like grace kelly's beautiful wedding dress, I must say that if replicating you should at least try to make it as close as possible.

Well, the design of the wedding gown was a true copy, but the fabrics, the pattern of the lace, and the quality was far from it. I agree, that in replicating such an iconic dress worn by a princess, no less, more care should have been taken -- of course, they may not spend as much money on it, but this replica was very disappointing. But perhaps I was so disappointed because I have always admired her gown so much. :sad:

Thank you for sharing this! It appears to be a nice replica, only the lace is more transparent (or maybe the fabric of the bodice too heavy) that it looks more like a strapless with lace on top--Grace's, although the same, looked more 'modest,' so to speak. (I hope I am making sense!)

Thank you for these! :flowers:
Two details just occurred to me. I remember reading that Grace had lost 10 pounds during the week prior to the wedding. I still can't recall ever seeing a more ethereal and noble bride!
The second one has to do with the lucky bridesmaids: Grace gave to them as gifts the magnificent jewels the Shah of Iran had given to her, when she accompanied him, as a young actress, for six nights out in New York, during one of his stays. The late Shah had proposed to her, Grace declined but kept the jewellery.

I recently went to the 'Grace Kelly: Style Icon' in Australia. I must say, I was very disappointed in the wedding dress replica -- the fabric and lace looked very, very cheap, and the craftsmanship rather poor. And the veil bore next to no resemblance to the lace motifs on the veil Grace actually wore. The dress she wore for the announcement of the engagement was beautiful, along with her dress from the civil ceremony. I was very surprised by how ordinary the latter dress looked in 'real life' -- it was still beautiful, but the machine lace was not as spectacular as I was expecting.

Must be the same one they used for the exhibition in Toronto. My reaction when I saw it was "This is what all the fuss is about, this is what is supposed to have been the most beautiful wedding gown ever?". Perhaps peoples imaginations have blown things out of proportion to reality.

:previous: I wish I could put it all down to 'hype,' but the remake was...terrible. The contrast between the dress on display and the photos of Grace in her wedding gown were very obvious.

Really? I have always thought that Grace's dress was bulky, unwieldy and just all around STIFF looking, in both design and exectution.

Back
Top Bottom