Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau and Anita van Eijk: August 25 and 27, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
telegraaf.nl

Attachments

• TE_2S_20050826_3.jpg
    TE_2S_20050826_3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 359
  • TE_2S_20050826_1.jpg
    TE_2S_20050826_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 341
Thanks, but I think the term Johnny and Anita is a bit old, these days one can be glad to be named like that as many parents give their children utterly vulgar names (they want to be original and uncommon, but they are very common in this wish). A cousin of mine, to the shock of the family, called her son and daughter Aurum and Venice. Can you imagine being 80 years old and your name is Venice??? What a burden! The worst name I saw this week in the 'born' section of the newspaper was 'Danysha'.

The accents.... pff, where shall I start? It is my favourite frustration at the university. I dislike people immediately (to quickly most of the times) when they have this accent. Especially at university it is a plague, it is so fake and terribly ugly and pretentious! All the princes suffer from it as well, most notably Friso and Pieter-Christiaan. Laurentien had it as well (of course with such a father one could not expect differently), which was one of the main reasons that she was not that much liked in the beginning of her marriage, later on everybody saw that Laurentien was actually quite down-to-earth and likeble, and even the accent is not that horrible anymore.

WA scaled down quite a bit on the accent as well (it is still there though), it must be either Maxima or a PR consultant who are the cause of this. The elder royals speak in a much more natural way, although their accent is much more sophisicated then that of the younger generation. I think the Queen is unique in her way of talking and Irene, Margriet and Christina talk as one would expect from 'old money families'.

In my opinion Mabel has the worst accent. I heard the engagement announcement on the radio, but I switched chanel because of the horrible (HORRIBLE!!!) accent of hers.

I dont think Anette is from Brabant but from the province of Utrecht (I am not sure about it though). Her way of speaking doesn t have any pretentions and could pass as standard dutch.
--

There are indeed so many accents here, which surprises my foreign friends as well. Sometimes television even uses subtitles when people from the (north)east or the south (or Flanders) are speaking.

I was thniking about Tomorrow's ceremony. It's on the afternoon, right?So I suppose it means long dresse and tiaras for ladies, and long jackets for men?

(because I remember last year:the Danish wedding on the afternoon: long gowns and tiaras; Spanish wedding on the morning: knee-lenght dresses and hats.)

Thanks Marengo for the explanations regarding their accents. I'm Dutch myself but have never heard the majority of the DRF speak..

..although I happen to have caught the press conference of when Mabel and Friso announced they were engaged on TV, so I know what they and the queen sound like.

And I <completely> agree with you Marengo: Mabel must have the absolute most horrible accent of anyone Dutch I've ever come across (and since I grew up there, that's a lot of people).

Mabel's is so completely unnatural, in a awful nasal way, I can't explain it, it just sounded so so awfully pretentious in the most fake of ways. Nothing against the woman per se, I know she's great as a lobbyist for some worthy causes and all, but that accent! I am convinced that if I'd ever bumped into her and she'd start speaking to me, I'd burst out laughing, that's how ridiculous her accent is!

Squidgy said:
I don't think either Princess attended the service. I imagine though that they will both be at the Church on Saturday. Christina is supposed to sing at the wedding (although there have been rumours that she is having problems with her voice). We will have to wait & see.
Thanks lots Squidgy for your answer.Becuase i saw a picture of the ladies sat in the line with the Queen, there was someone look like Princess Irene.

Sure Mabel has a terrible accent. Sometimes she looks so beautiful and she is always very friendly, but if she opens her mouth then I think 'oh my god, running!'

I live in Amsterdam too and if I see someone calling out to his bulldog "winSton" with irene's rarified way of pronouncing the S, I will know that is Marengo ;)

Marengo said:
Thanks, but I think the term Johnny and Anita is a bit old, these days one can be glad to be named like that as many parents give their children utterly vulgar names (they want to be original and uncommon, but they are very common in this wish). A cousin of mine, to the shock of the family, called her son and daughter Aurum and Venice. Can you imagine being 80 years old and your name is Venice??? What a burden! The worst name I saw this week in the 'born' section of the newspaper was 'Danysha'.

The accents.... pff, where shall I start? It is my favourite frustration at the university. I dislike people immediately (to quickly most of the times) when they have this accent. Especially at university it is a plague, it is so fake and terribly ugly and pretentious! All the princes suffer from it as well, most notably Friso and Pieter-Christiaan. Laurentien had it as well (of course with such a father one could not expect differently), which was one of the main reasons that she was not that much liked in the beginning of her marriage, later on everybody saw that Laurentien was actually quite down-to-earth and likeble, and even the accent is not that horrible anymore.

WA scaled down quite a bit on the accent as well (it is still there though), it must be either Maxima or a PR consultant who are the cause of this. The elder royals speak in a much more natural way, although their accent is much more sophisicated then that of the younger generation. I think the Queen is unique in her way of talking and Irene, Margriet and Christina talk as one would expect from 'old money families'.

In my opinion Mabel has the worst accent. I heard the engagement announcement on the radio, but I switched chanel because of the horrible (HORRIBLE!!!) accent of hers.

I dont think Anette is from Brabant but from the province of Utrecht (I am not sure about it though). Her way of speaking doesn t have any pretentions and could pass as standard dutch.
--

There are indeed so many accents here, which surprises my foreign friends as well. Sometimes television even uses subtitles when people from the (north)east or the south (or Flanders) are speaking.

I know that Prince WA and Princess Maxima will attend the Church Blessing on Saturday,i think they will bring CA there probably,not sure about Alexia.But how about Friso and Mabel will they attend the Church Blessing on Saturday?

anita's outfit wasn't nice at all, but they really looked happy and that was great to see. it was a pity we couldn't see maxima and mabel there...

I have to say much of the Dutch royal family must be colorblind. Eeek! What an awful outfit. Can we say 1960? It was all very old ladyish. The only two people who I thought were really stylish were the woman in Lilac and the Queen. One of the women in Black and White looked good too. They need to get some decent fashion advisors, and quick!! Their outfits do nothing for them.

But what is great is they all look very happy. I wish them the best. Does anyone have a close up of her engagement ring?? I'm still also trying to see a close up of Mabels too.

Black and white is no longer unsuitable for weddings. It can be worn in a chic manner. People didn't wear black to weddings for a long time because of a hold over from the Victorian era when they used to wear black as a sign of mourning. Just as white became a symbol for wedding dresses. Once again you have to thank the Victorians for that. Before that wedding dresses were a variety of colors. That is why you wouldn't wear white to a funeral as it was considered a sign of innocence and rebirth or purity. But now you can.
:) :) :)

Pictures from DPA

Attachments

• 034401_4.jff.jpeg
    034401_4.jff.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 363
  • 033801_4.jff.jpeg
    033801_4.jff.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 399
  • 035201_4.jff.jpeg
    035201_4.jff.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 033401_4.jff.jpeg
    033401_4.jff.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 258
  • 032901_4.jff.jpeg
    032901_4.jff.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 011701_4.jff.jpeg
    011701_4.jff.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 010901_4.jff.jpeg
    010901_4.jff.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 358
  • 033601_4.jff.jpeg
    033601_4.jff.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 345
ladybelline said:
I was thniking about Tomorrow's ceremony. It's on the afternoon, right?So I suppose it means long dresse and tiaras for ladies, and long jackets for men?

(because I remember last year:the Danish wedding on the afternoon: long gowns and tiaras; Spanish wedding on the morning: knee-lenght dresses and hats.)

I wish it would be, but no, I expect them to dress like they always do (so we are warned....keep your sunglasses ready for Laurentiens outfit).

Marengo said:
Correct, the brooches are diamond rose. The queen wore them for example as well when she got engaged to Prince Claus. There are 5 roses which can be used differently. Beatrix used them as pendants for a necklace once and Juliana used them as a wedding tiara/bandeau (together with small pearls), probably to honour her husband Prince Berhard as the symbol of the Lippe family is a rose.

The Queen looked indeed very subdued, I think she used this dress before, for an official photograph (the hat looks also familiar). I can't wait for Saturday, Maxima usually knows how to sparkle on such occassions! The bride will probably be wearing the laurel wreath tiara, as did her two sisters-in-law and Margarita of Bourbon-Parma.

Marengo, thank you for once again answering one of my questions - you are a wealth of information not only on the Dutch RF, but also Dutch society in general.:)

I was particularly fascinated by your conversation with Princess Olga on the use of accents among the upper classes (or upper class wannabes). Coming from a country which doesn't really have an aristocracy, I find it hard to believe that in this day & age, people of the upper classes would still want to separate themselves from other classes through use of an accent ... but such are the mysteries of life!

I would also love to see a close up of her engagement ring. Also, I'm curious if she received a ring at the Civil Wedding or if that is part of the religious ceremony -- my recollection is that it is part of the latter.

susan alicia said:
I live in Amsterdam too and if I see someone calling out to his bulldog "winSton" with irene's rarified way of pronouncing the S, I will know that is Marengo ;)

well, I have to practise real hard on that one (I am afraid that I am more noticable for a thick 'l'and 'w', when I do not pay attention), but it could be interesting though, I like her accent! I actually was considering to call the dog Pazz op, like the dog of Mathilde's parents (who say it with a strong french accent), but when i sawe the bulldog it was definately a Winston.
But now I am an Amsterdammer I have to try that accent first, so I am listening non-stop to Tante Leen, Willy Alberti, Johnny Jordaan and Manke Nelis (old singers from Amsterdam).

Squidgy said:
Marengo, thank you for once again answering one of my questions - you are a wealth of information not only on the Dutch RF, but also Dutch society in general.:)

I was particularly fascinated by your conversation with Princess Olga on the use of accents among the upper classes (or upper class wannabes). Coming from a country which doesn't really have an aristocracy, I find it hard to believe that in this day & age, people of the upper classes would still want to separate themselves from other classes through use of an accent ... but such are the mysteries of life!

well, I am glad to be of help & I like to inform you, or other people who are interested.

As princess Olga and Eva-Britt stated, this accent is so unnatural (not only when Princess Mabel uses it) that it so obvious that it is either nouveau riche children or children who went to hockeyclubs/ certain student societies. To me it sounds silly and unsophisticated but I am sure that the people who are using it do not agree with me. The old fashioned posh way of speaking is rather elegant to me, it sounds a bit softer and more french/german.
Accents like this are not uncommon in the rest of Europe either, my friend from Portugal complains for example about the new-rich children from the suburbs of Porto, who also use a certain accent. But I think that even in the US (and maybe Canada) accents are used to distinguish people? The Texas accent isn't considered very suitable for snobbish people either I think?

Marengo said:
well, I am glad to be of help & I like to inform you, or other people who are interested.

As princess Olga and Eva-Britt stated, this accent is so unnatural (not only when Princess Mabel uses it) that it so obvious that it is either nouveau riche children or children who went to hockeyclubs/ certain student societies. To me it sounds silly and unsophisticated but I am sure that the people who are using it do not agree with me. The old fashioned posh way of speaking is rather elegant to me, it sounds a bit softer and more french/german.
Accents like this are not uncommon in the rest of Europe either, my friend from Portugal complains for example about the new-rich children from the suburbs of Porto, who also use a certain accent. But I think that even in the US (and maybe Canada) accents are used to distinguish people? The Texas accent isn't considered very suitable for snobbish people either I think?

Ooops! I hope we are not getting too off topic here ... with our talk about accents. I didn't mean to imply that in Canada, we don't distinguish people according to their accents. Like any country, we have many various accents here, but they are usually divided according to geographical regions, rather than socio-economic status. Of course, I may be very wrong about this ... my exposure to the more wealthier classes has been very limited.

Congratulations

Congratulations Pieter-Christiaan and Anita

http://www.royalpress.nl/20050825.html

nIMG_0077.jpg

Didem, thanks for the picture of the car used to chauffeur P-C & Anita around yesterday. Thanks also for the links to the other pictures from the wedding.

I heard that the car once belonged to the late King Olav of Norway. I wonder how it came to be in possession of the Dutch RF ... it is a beautiful car and it must have added a very classy touch to the wedding.

The limosine

The car used to transport the bride and groom did indeed once belong to the late King Olav V of Norway.
The car now is owned by a company called Meijers Autobedrijf in Utrecht, The Netherlands and not owned by the dutch royal family.
In Norway we have a rather small royal family and it has been customary to sell their old cars when the need for upgrading the court's car park arise. So it's not unusual to see old limosines previously owned by the royal court on norwegian roads. When my sister got married 2 years ago, the limosine they used was an old american limosine formerly owned by the late King Olav the V.
I guess the royal couple have borrowed the car like the normal population could do too. :rolleyes:

not only the norwegian RF does this, Maud-Alexandra. The oldtimer used during the wedding of the prince of Orange was sold by the dutch RF to the same company as this norwegian one, and the RF had to rent it for the wedding.

It is pretty common to rent cars I think, the dutch RF rents Mercedes-busses from 'Beuk' (a company in Noordwijk), the norwegians rented Volvo's for the wedding of the crownprince and the belgians Maybach's & Mercedesses for the wedding of Laurent and Claire for example. I am sure other royal families have the same policy.

Maud Alexandra said:
The car used to transport the bride and groom did indeed once belong to the late King Olav V of Norway.
The car now is owned by a company called Meijers Autobedrijf in Utrecht, The Netherlands and not owned by the dutch royal family.
In Norway we have a rather small royal family and it has been customary to sell their old cars when the need for upgrading the court's car park arise. So it's not unusual to see old limosines previously owned by the royal court on norwegian roads. When my sister got married 2 years ago, the limosine they used was an old american limosine formerly owned by the late King Olav the V.
I guess the royal couple have borrowed the car like the normal population could do too. :rolleyes:

That's so neat! It would be so cool to drive around in a car once owned by royalty - I would think that it would make you feel like royalty, at least for a few moments.

Thanks for the information Maud Alexandra & Marengo!:)

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic in my last remark. I just thought the little blue guy looked cute. :)

With so many on this tread commenting on the brides outfit, just a small remark to the grooms dressing... He wore brown shoes with a black suit. Shouldn't be that hard to coordinate two colours, should it?
I' really looking forward to seeing all the dresses and outfits at tomorrows ceremony.

I think it is rather fashionable to wear brown (italian) shoes with a darkblue/black suit, I see it all the time around me anyway (though for a wedding it might not be quite the thing).

According to Netty on the benelux royals MB, the wedding dresses of Anita, Aimee, Marilene, Annette and Margriet will be on display at Palace het Loo from 6 November. The clothes from the civil weddings will also be on display!

Very nice! I remember that I saw the weddingdresses of Maxima, Beatrix, Juliana, Wilhelmina and Emma there as well. I always disliked Julianas dress on pictures but in real life it was gorgeous and I preferred it over the other ones. So, who knows? Maybe Anita's frumpy outfit is absolutely stunning in real life.

Nice Eloise was also present! Pictures van Tellingen

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 454
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 395
Other pictures from Bruno Press

Attachments

• Huwelijk PC en Anita 033.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 033.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 035.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 035.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 034.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 034.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 283
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 045.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 045.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 043.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 043.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 054.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 054.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,506
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 055.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 055.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 322
Pictures from the family Bruno Press

Attachments

• Huwelijk PC en Anita 003.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 003.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 007.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 007.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 009.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 009.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 745
  • Huwelijk PC en Anita 012.jpg
    Huwelijk PC en Anita 012.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 250
misshelen said:
Nice Eloise was also present! Pictures van Tellingen

Thanks for the pictures MissHelen.:) It's so nice to see little Eloise, and I'm relieved that she seems to have a better sense of fashion than her mother.:rolleyes:

From Hello:

26 AUGUST 2005

The Dutch royal family has welcomed a new member after Prince Pieter-Christiaan tied the knot with his long-time partner Anita van Eijk. A select group of family and friends, including the groom's aunt Queen Beatrix, were in attendance for the wedding in Apeldoorn's Het Loo Palace.

In the moment he said "I do" Pieter-Christiaan, who is the third son of Princess Margriet, lost his claim to the throne. Under the Dutch constitution members of the royal household must seek permission from parliament before making their vows or else face being removed from the line of accession.

The prince decided to forego the procedure, however, as he is at the lower end of a long list of potential heirs and there is very little chance of him ever being called on to become king. It seems almost certain that any petition for official approval would have been granted, though, as several of the country's leading politicians were there to congratulate him on his big day.

Pieter-Christiaan and Anita, who is a communications consultant, have been looking forward to their walk down the aisle since last February when they announced their engagement. And the celebrations are set to continue through the weekend, as the civil wedding is to be followed by a formal religious blessing on Saturday afternoon.

Attachments

• dutchwedding-dop1a.jpg
    dutchwedding-dop1a.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 890
  • dutchwedding-dop2a.jpg
    dutchwedding-dop2a.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 252
Back
Top Bottom