Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant and Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz: 4 December 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Mathilde's Gown

When I first saw this dress, I did not like it. However it has grown on me and now I love this dress! I would not wear it nor does this dress belong on my all time favorites list, but this gown is beautiful, timeless, simple, elegant, and regal. I rarely like coat wedding dresses, but I think this gown is perfect. I love the simplicity of the dress and the regal look of the high collar. The veil and tiara were also beautiful. However one of the things I did not like about her look was her bouquet. It's just too overwhelming. Nevertheless, the gown was a magnificent winter wedding dress.

Mathilde looked absolutely beautiful on her wedding day.

I have read that she removed the coat during dinner at the reception, and it was a simple but elegant long sheath underneath.

What a sweet girl she was! (and is, it seems). Enjoyed seeing the video of the wedding.
Most of the guests looked grumpy and exhausted, in contrast to the fresh young happy bride and handsome groom. I guess those long weddings are exhausting?

What a sweet girl she was! (and is, it seems). Enjoyed seeing the video of the wedding.
Most of the guests looked grumpy and exhausted, in contrast to the fresh young happy bride and handsome groom. I guess those long weddings are exhausting?
December 4 was a bitterly cold day, even for that time of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if the guests were freezing to death.

Marengo, this is great thanks! Mathilde was radiant. Everyone was so happy!

What a lovely ceremony. I remember I had it fully followed to the TV, Mathilde was so young, so touching so innocent, a lovely girl, a real lady, and now a great Queen.

What a difference between now and then... Even at their wedding they don't look as close and sweet as they do now :)
I really love those two, and their wedding was fabulous

Daniel Ost, the man who did the flower arrangements at the wedding, was interviewed in the TV program Royalty.
He told that Mathilde wanted red flowers and Paola wanted white. So he used red flowers for the altar and white for the rest of the cathedral.
The giant bride bouquet wasn't made by him but by the florist of the court. He didn't like it, it was too heavy it weighed 3kg and he didn't like that people thaught he made it.
The downside of doing the flower arrangements for the princely weddings (also Laurent and Claire) was that he got the name of being expensive.
He also did the flower arrangements for Fabiola's funeral.

She looks very nice, as a person and quite pretty but not a dazzler. But I LOVE the train.. its So big and so white

I like the procession of the bride walking down the aisle. The red dresses of the little girls was a beautiful choice of color for a December wedding.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde remember their wedding day 20 years ago and talk about their married life over two decades.

Rare footage of the wedding can be seen in the link below:

Unfortunately the footage does not include the entire wedding mass. It ends abruptly shortly after the communion, so we can't see the final blessing or the couple leaving the cathedral.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom