Here we go. The get out of jail free card. We’re all white supremacists
Who said this?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Who said this?
I think its a reaction to an article that Empress Merel posted. This Black Royal Wedding was very complicated for me as a black woman.

One thing though that has been grossly overlooked by stating that the BRF is totally disconnected to black culture is that the reality is that this person writing the article didn't quite do her homework and do much fact finding. A little bit more research on the royal wedding and the people involved invoking prayers would have revealed that Rev. Rose Hudson-Wilkin is the first black female chosen as personal chaplain to the Queen.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I think a lot of users could do with reading this think piece± This Black Royal Wedding was very complicated for me as a black woman

To me, being uncomfortable by his sermon has everything to do with with white supremacy. And I know this will get people groaning because raising this issue seems most sensitive, but it needs to be said.

The reactions to the pastor´s sermon were disrespectful, flat out.
Hmmm...I am not Anglo Saxon, so how about those of us who are non White who simply didn't enjoy Curry?

I was on a popular minority website the night of the wedding and some of the words and terminology that were used to describe Curry might have offended me if I had not been curled up in the fetal position laughing so hard at the "reviews" that I ended up with a stomach ache.

I have been to Southern Baptist and Pentecostal churches and I have heard Gospel music and preaching that sent chills up my spine it was so moving

But as a minority who also happens to be a religious Catholic the implication that the only authentic spirituality is Curry's brand of whooping and hollering is quite frankly irritating and offensive to me.

For me personally I felt I was watching a performance as much or more than a sermon about Christian marriage and I was not impressed, period. ("We ALL family now!!)

Finally, we are living in times of such true racial bigotry and hatred here in the USA that sometimes I want to weep. Our elected "leader" appearing to give Nazis moral equivalency with citizens protesting racism. Ivy League students having campus police called on them for daring to nap in a student lounge with Black skin. Just today one of America's most successful sitcom actresses referring to an Obama advisor as an ape.

This is NOT the time to throw the "racist" canard out so often that it loses its value for the many many times when it is valid...no.

Everyone who did not jump and cheer at the good Reverend in St George's last week is NOT a white supremacist. And it most definitely was NOT the first time we got "taken to church"..hardly.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I have to say, I don't think it's comment like this one that's seemed anti-American. It was comments like Spectator has been around longer than your nation.

For me it goes far beyond that one comment; there is a list of condescending remarks towards Americans and American culture on this board.

As for the Bishop, I am black and grew up in a baptist church; his sermon is nothing I haven't seen before. As an adult I prefer quieter sermons that get to the point quickly but that doesn't change that Bishop Curry is someone whose style I am familiar with.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The only thing that went wrong with the ceremony was on the camera that panned away from the couple when they were about to curtsy to The Queen. That’s one of the parts everyone looked forward to. Ruined!

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's not pretend the reactions to his sermon weren't triggered by it heavy mentions of slavery etc. Everything he mentioned is written down in history and is part of Doria's and Meghan's heritage, as it will be the heritage of Harry and Meghan's future childeren. You can talk about length and have issue with that, but appropriateness is where I draw the line. It's underlying message was all about love.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

I definitely agree with you on this one, Dman. Its created quite an uproar too that it seemed blatantly obvious to the watching global community that Harry and Meghan totally broke protocol and omitted bowing and curtsying to HM, The Queen.

No one in the televising crew was informed ahead of time exactly when this respect to the monarch was to take place. Most royal British weddings I've watched had the couple begin their recessional from the central altar, stop in front of the Queen and then pay their respects. Harry and Meghan began their recessional from the side angle of the entrance to the registry and when they emerged, they were standing facing the Queen during "God Save The Queen" and did their respects from there and then continued right into the recessional.

It was done differently than other royal weddings and the camera crews were totally unprepared for this.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Please move on from the over-analysis of the wedding sermon.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I was surprised on the massive amount of viewing parties that were held for the Sussex’s wedding. There were galas, tavern parties and everything. I knew people would watch or record it, but I had no idea that people would really get into thick of the royal wedding.

There’s a reason why the British Royal Family are the most famous Monarchy in the world. Others can’t pull that kind of interest.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Aristocracy

Not many pictures of the wedding
Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbevb View Post
Not many pictures of the wedding
The entire wedding was internationally broadcast.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Aristocracy

Well Of course I mean who didn’t watch it that’s a member on this forum what I’m saying is your other wedding threads have pictures of the bride arriving and the church service. we only have pictures of the bride and groom and the carriage in this thread
Old 09-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is it possible that you have not checked out the links that have been posted? Due to copyright laws, its actually against forum rules to post photos directly into the posts in this thread. That's why for pictures of events (and yes, I'll add that usually the Daily Mail has the best photographs), you'll only see links in here.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Serene Highness

Not sure if this has been posted already...picture of Doria's half-brother and stepmother arriving at the wedding.

https://twitter.com/ki_native/status...80975277326336
Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already...picture of Doria's half-brother and stepmother arriving at the wedding.

https://twitter.com/ki_native/status...80975277326336
This is interesting I have heard rumors that there were relatives there. Is there any evidence that these really are her Doria's relatives?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Nobility

There is still debate going on about who those people are. I've seen some suggest they are members of the Suits crew.

If they truly wanted to highlight the other members of Meghan's families who attended the wedding, the information would have been distributed to the media directly or through sources. Those members would also have been given very camera friendly or prominent seating.

I think there were enough rumors and reports just enough grumbling from people on social media at the time to suggest some members of Meghan's family might have attended the wedding but if it was done is in such a way that we are still debating if they did even months after the wedding it is best to assume they (the family members or the couple) did not want it to be public knowledge and see it as a private matter. We should just leave it at that.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Commoner

Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen comments about the fact that Tatler named the Sussex wedding as the Wedding of the Year.

The Brooksbank wedding was tipped for having the best wedding guest 'goodie' bag of the year.

I cannot help but agree with Tatler about the first award.

Susanna Wynne
Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard7 View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen comments about the fact that Tatler named the Sussex wedding as the Wedding of the Year.

The Brooksbank wedding was tipped for having the best wedding guest 'goodie' bag of the year.

I cannot help but agree with Tatler about the first award.
Each lovely bride's wedding is special, and the best day of the year for them personally. I especially appreciate the brevity of the wedding homily for Eugenie & Jack, and that the black minister who apparently knew Eugenie at least, prior to the wedding, beautifully recited meaningful prayers for the couple interspersed with singing.

Harry & Meghan's wedding of course had larger impact worldwide because of who his parents are, and because of his royal status, which will remain fairly prominent throughout his lifetime. Also, Prince Charles is so knowledgeable about music, he did a great job with the music selection for Harry & Meghan, except for Stand by Me, which the couple famously and poignantly selected. But it was Prince Charles who suggested the Kingdom Choir. I want to get a copy of the CD of the music for M&H's royal wedding.

Unfortunately to mixed reviews, it was the well-intentioned Archbishop of Canterbury who selected Bishop Curry to give M&H's wedding address. Having seen the recorded version of the event, I found it interesting but not surprising that the reactions by the royal family to Bishop Curry's startling performance have been edited out of the BBC's official DVD edition of M&H's wedding.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Commoner

Eugenie's wedding was certainly lovely, if a bit out of proportion.

Susanna Wynne
Old 11-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Royal Highness

I took my additional comments re what I enjoyed about Eugenie's wedding to her wedding thread. Nothing was out-of-proportion IMHO.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, wedding