Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Church Service, Carriage Procession - May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The REALITY is the UK is a 'post Christian' country..

Most Brits will politely tolerate a 'mild' version of faith [ANY faith], because we are quintessentially polite, but as soon as it becomes 'preachy' or over-long, we are LOST, and quickly bored, [even quicker] made annoyed at 'the imposition'..
That Americans can sit through HOURS of this stuff, is interesting, but I assure you, after the first two or three minutes 99% of Brits had mentally 'switched off'...

I don’t think it is a matter of faith or not, Reverend Curry’s address was simply uninspiring, boring and repetitive. And his over-the-top delivery didn’t help either.

I was raised in a very religious family, but I don’t consider myself particularly religious today either. Still, I appreciate when someone makes a deep and meaningful theological argument, or simply an argument that is particularly significant or suited to the occasion. I didn’t see any of those in Rev Curry’s address.

Some Americans may sit through hours of sermons, but that is not true of all denominations.

To me, Bishops Curry's biggest sin was not in the length of the sermon, but in his failure to make several clear and succinct points in an appealing way, make it personal, and then wrap it up on a high note. He rambled. He was bombastic. And he failed to read his auditors so the whole thing felt inflated and a bit ego-driven.

I've sat through longer sermons and been totally engaged, and come away feeling uplifted. His was not one of those sermons.

Same here. Being Catholic I am used to long homilies that sounds more like academical lectures than preaching, so I like when someone is lively in a sermon. Yet this felt a bit over the top and, tbh, a bit self-centered.

I don’t think it is a matter of faith or not, Reverend Curry’s address was simply uninspiring, boring and repetitive. And his over-the-top delivery didn’t help either.

I was raised in a very religious family, but I don’t consider myself particularly religious today either. Still, I appreciate when someone makes a deep and meaningful theological argument, or simply an argument that is particularly significant or suited to the occasion. I didn’t see any of those in Rev Curry’s address.

Many people did find deep and meaningful theological argument within his sermon. And the delivery certainly not boring. Different, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on Twitter said HM can scratch "black churching" off her bucket list.

I love how they brought some of her black American traditions to the ceremony. That said, there were a few "I don't get it" looks from the congregation at times. There were a couple of moments where I wondered why he wasn't get responses as he should. Once or twice he said "Amen" and no one responded.

On Sky News, they interviewed this poor mentally ill woman in a wedding dress who felt that Harry might change his mind and marry her instead. The reporter cut away when the nutty lady started talking about how Meghan has brown eyes and she thinks Harry would prefer to have children with blue eyes, "like himself." I hope their security passes around her photo amongst themselves so they can keep a lookout for that one in the future.

I love how they brought some of her black American traditions to the ceremony. That said, there were a few "I don't get it" looks from the congregation at times. There were a couple of moments where I wondered why he wasn't get responses as he should. Once or twice he said "Amen" and no one responded.

Because responding is just not done here. Most of the people in Europe have only seen this on American tv. You can’t expect them to just switch a button and go along.

I believe his presentation was not what people expected but the words and the meaning of the sermon was spot on centered around love and that God is love. At lease that is what I took from it. It didn't bother me as it kind of brightened the day. Now the song being sung when Meghan walked by herself into the church............to each his own.

I didn't expect anything, honestly. It just seems so natural and we even do it in my Catholic Church. The worship style seems quite restrained by American standards!

That said, there were a few "I don't get it" looks from the congregation at times.

I think that's the key. A lot of people just didn't get it, because they were not used to hear, and see, such "passionate" sermon american style.
It was unexpected, it's as simple as that ...

Last edited:
Because responding is just not done here. Most of the people in Europe have only seen this on American tv. You can’t expect them to just switch a button and go along.

I think the thing that is getting lost here for some posters is that Bishop Curry is black/African American, but he is not the bishop of an African American church. He is the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, which does not have a tradition of spontaneous responses during sermons. He was out of step with the expectations for the guests at St. George's this morning, but he would also have been out of step with 90% of the Episcopal churches in the USA.

In most Episcopal churches, except for the very few that are on the charismatic end of the spectrum, the reaction would have been very similar to what we saw at St. George's Chapel: a mixture of amazement, discomfort, and disengagement.

And he really, really ought to know that because he certainly knows that most of his flock in the USA do not do sermons like that.

However, as other poster mentioned, the Queen and Prince Charles in particular are very experienced individuals, having come in contact with many different cultures in their endless trips in Britain, the Commonwealth, and the broader world. It is definitely not something they would be completely unfamiliar with , or which would surprise or shock them.

Was there any wave / kiss from the balcony like other royals after their wedding? Or did I miss it?

Considering he commented not recently to a POC that he/she didn't look like someone from Manchester, Charles is not THAT wordly or experienced.

I was able to watch a little bit of the surmon during my break and I even clicked away. Not because I do not find his manner of speech engaging, but I cannot deal with that amount of talk about worshipping God. Just stop. But I'm anti-religion in general, so none of it would appeal to me.

They kissed as they were leaving the church, on the steps.

WHERE is the skill, or art in that..Patisserie is a NOBLE profession, requiring immense artistry, training and visual sensitivity..
Takeaway the Silver Gilt, and ANY competent home baker could produce that..
For me taste is what matters. While Catherine's wedding cake was way more prettier and had visual artistry, I wouldn't have liked the flavor because I'm not fan of fruit cakes. While Meghan's might be more simple outside, but I'm sure the flavor is lovely:flowers:

Was there any wave / kiss from the balcony like other royals after their wedding? Or did I miss it?

There is no balcony at Windsor, so they did the wave and kiss on the steps of the chapel.

There is no balcony , they kissed on the steps before getting into the carriage.

Most of them are probably used to the dry sermons this was not one. And it made them uncomfortable , it was what Harry and Meghan wanted so good for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I'd like to see is a closer-up of Harry's wedding ring - platinum with a texture finish sound really nice!

On Sky News, they interviewed this poor mentally ill woman in a wedding dress who felt that Harry might change his mind and marry her instead. The reporter cut away when the nutty lady started talking about how Meghan has brown eyes and she thinks Harry would prefer to have children with blue eyes, "like himself." I hope their security passes around her photo amongst themselves so they can keep a lookout for that one in the future.

:ohmy: :eek:

Well, it seems Bishop Curry's address is the most talked about thing here and is getting a lot of press (I like the first part but felt it was too long - usually addresses at Anglican weddings are short) but I wanted to talk about what I loved about the ceremony.

Overall, I really liked the music, especially the cellist. The choice of music for the procession (the intoit) was one not usually heard but I knew they would not pick a cliche like Wagner, Meldelssohn, Pachelbel, Ode to Joy etc. I thought it was quite lovely. I liked hearing "This Light of Mine" coming from the church when they were on the steps.

I loved the interior decoration of the church, it was stunning.

Meghan was really a vision in her dress, veil and tiara. The dress suited her well, especially liked the bateau (boat) neckline. (Yes, I personally would have liked a bit more bling but it was in keeping with her style). I liked seeing the page boys hold her veil as she came up the steps (I think the veil was gorgeous). I love the tiara that she wore and I hope we'll see it again. I wish her bouquet had been bigger but I know the style now is to a smaller, more natural looking bouquet. Surprised that there were no peonies in it. I think it's sweet that a few flowers Harry picked were added to it.

Wonderful to see Prince Phillip walk into the church on his own power. As he is 96 and recovering from a hip replacement, I thought he might still have to use a wheelchair.

I loved seeing Prince Charles' graciousness with Doria, when they went to signed the registry and outside on the steps. Doria looked lovely and at points, quite emotional.

It was sweet seeing the couple together and how they looked at each other. Prince Harry in particular, looked quite emotional at points.

Overall, it was lovely wedding. I didn't expect it to be as grand as some past royal weddings as Harry is 6th in line and the palace indicated it would not be a state occasion. It reflected Harry and Meghan.

Last edited:
I think Princess Charlotte got an haircut, right? Her hair was longer before.

Most of them are probably used to the dry sermons this was not one. And it made them uncomfortable , it was what Harry and Meghan wanted so good for them.

I don’t think the RF was uncomfortable. I think some of them, by their looks, were finding it simply amusing, or over-the—top, or incoherent (lacking s cohesive message).

On the cake, I agree with previous posters. I would choose flavor over artistry any time . Of course, when you get both, it is the best of both worlds .

Yes, it was 100% their day and that is what they wanted. Brilliant. I remember very well all the fault finding of the last Swedish wedding when Prince married Sofia. Their music was condemned for days because it was difference and quasi gospel. But, they were happy and loved it. Proud they showed their own personality.

Forgive me if this question has already been answered but why was Doria not in the front row, I thought as the closest family member she would be?

Forgive me if this question has already been answered but why was Doria not in the front row, I thought as the closest family member she would be?

Some have said it's because she'd have a better view second row. But in reality, nobody knows why. :flowers:

I wonder what Princess Michael's reaction to Curry's address was. She was probably snickering as well.

Is there something left for us viewers to see? I heard we will see Harry and Meghan when they depart Windsor Castle to the dinner hosted by the PoW right? Do we know the time?

Is there something left for us viewers to see? I heard we will see Harry and Meghan when they depart Windsor Castle to the dinner hosted by the PoW right? Do we know the time?

7pm they are due to depart. I hope we get to see them. :flowers:

Are we going to have any photos / videos or any media coverage on the receptions?

Back
Top Bottom