Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Church Service, Carriage Procession - May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whose idea was it to invite that American bishop?

the music was gorgeous!

And- a picky thing, but I wished the Archbishop had used birth names instead of "Meghan" and "Harry."

1)The Archbishop of Canterbury

2) I agree the music was gorgeous--all of it.

3) Their full names once at the beginning of the service and then the names they are known by for the rest--making it a little less formal.

Last edited:
Benita sat next to Doria, Jessica sat in front of Doria.

Yes, exactly what I said :flowers: My first sentence was answer to the question who was sitting next to Doria. Benita..... The rest just went further to explain the other people around Doria. There were other friends like Genevieve close by as well.

This was such a lovely wedding. There were so many lovely moments and I was brought to tears many times.

did meghan walk by herself to the aisle in the end? i remember how the saga went from her dad walking, to her dad not coming, to charles walking her as of yesterday but it sounds like she made it on her own?

She made it mostly on her own. The PoW only assisted her at the end of the procession and he didn’t actually do much .

Can I just say that the frock coats on the boy attendants was brilliant! Ever since the story went around that Kate and Wills wanted him to wear the B&R frock coat - but we're vetoed by the Queen on it I have hoped for this!

I literally screeched when I saw what they were wearing. A happy screech, but a true noise, none the less. :w00t:

Personally I thought the American minister's delivery of the sermon was all right and not too lengthy at all. What I disliked was that it was trite and impersonal. I wish the passion and length of it was matched by substance.

I saw few shots of her too but in those that I did she looked a bit bored and less than pleased. Pictures online further reinforced that impression. I mean it was an hour long service...it would have been nice to see a little more enthusiasm for them. :ermm:

Kate's resting face is always like that--it changes and lights up when she smiles. And I imagine she was a bit distracted--new born baby and two children in their uncle's big wedding.

Kate's resting face is always like that--it changes and lights up when she smiles. And I imagine she was a bit distracted--new born baby and two children in their uncle's big wedding.

She looked the same ( bored and uninterested) at the Soanish State dinner. I guess it is just her naturall face when she is not smiling. I did see her giggling though during Rev Cury’s sermon.

Yes, exactly what I said :flowers: My first sentence was answer to the question who was sitting next to Doria. Benita..... The rest just went further to explain the other people around Doria. There were other friends like Genevieve close by as well.

Yes, I know you said who sat around Doria. I was just identifying who sat where for those not familiar with Meghan's friends.:flowers:

Loved EVERYTHING, except that tiresome Prelate DRONING on for what felt like HOURS.. Even THAT was enlivened by the efforts of the BRF to surpress their irritation and not to snigger. Beatrice, Eugenie AND William had difficulties keeping a straight face...

HMQ looked like THUNDER.. he won't be invited back...

Last edited:
Loved EVERYTHING, except that tiresome Prelate DRONING on for what felt like HOURS.. Even the that was enlivened by the efforts of the BRF to surpress their irritation and not to snigger. Beatrice, Eugenie AND William had difficulties keeping a straight face...

The part on how humanity harnessed fire and used it to cross the oceans and make airplanes blah blah blah really got to me !

My biggest disappointment in the service was Bishop Curry. Whether the address was too long or just seemed too long (did it ever), it was repetitious, generic, and out of sync with the setting. If he had spoken in the same style, but the text of the sermon had been personal, directed at the bride and groom, and showed that he was speaking to and about them I might have been inspired, but I wasn't. I was bored and irritated. He may have a reputation as a wonderful speaker, but I don't think he demonstrated that here.

There are articles appearing on the internet saying that she did not curtsy (and that Harry did not bow). I'm still trying to find the clip. Hopefully there is a clip or photo that can put this to rest.

They may have just been so distracted by everything that they forgot; or maybe the camera crews just didn't quite capture it leading people to believe they did not.

They did. The camera cut away but you see them start it. It very much happened.

I think the moment that had me giggling was when Zara got annoyed by Mike and his touchy feeling her belly. It was like he forgot where he was for a sec. :lol:

I've always read and heard that The Prince of Wales is a man who is very adept at making people feel at ease and included. With seeing how attentive Charles was to Doria not only in that picture but also when they left to enter the registry, he did his mother and grandmother proud and proved that he was raised right.

I'm sure both Charles and Camilla have done everything in their power to ensure that Doria felt included as a member of the family.

My biggest disappointment in the service was Bishop Curry. Whether the address was too long or just seemed too long (did it ever), it was repetitious, generic, and out of sync with the setting. If he had spoken in the same style, but the text of the sermon had been personal, directed at the bride and groom, and showed that he was speaking to and about them I might have been inspired, but I wasn't. I was bored and irritated. He may have a reputation as a wonderful speaker, but I don't think he demonstrated that here.

I agree, but my husband was howling over the facial expressions of the audience and the Royal Family. It was so far out of their comfort zone. He said he wants to watch that part again without the sound. :lol:

I’m not going to lie, Rev Michael Curry’s enthusiastic address has had the press room in stitches (not to mention the congregation). Someone please send me a screen shot of Zara Phillips’ face....#royalwedding*

Via Rebecca English Twitter.

According to Ingrid Seward it was 7 mins too Long.

Last edited:
I loved this wedding. I got very emotional at several points. The music was sublime. Despite my reservations, the rendition of Stand By Me was just stunning. The cellist? Lovely, absolutely lovely. For me, as a POC who grew up in the black church, to see so many POC feature with music that marked my childhood in the black church at a royal wedding was extremely powerful.

Bishop Curry: I liked the sermon over all but it was too long and the fire analogy random. Par the course for a black preacher lol. Many a Sundays were spent with the pastor/priest stating, "And another thing" while the church aunties egged him on lol. My watch party all busted out laughing when he said he was going to wrap it up because we knew damn well he was not lol #flashbacks.

The decor was STUNNING! The BEST I've seen at a royal wedding. So ROMANTIC.

There should have been an adult bridesmaid to help with the kids, but they were so cute nonetheless and the Mulroney boys did a great job with the veil!

The camera work was ATROCIOUS! BBC IMO dropped the ball.

I am also not keen on the amount of seemingly random celebrities and how they were placed...that is worrisome to me.

BUT:

Bride and Groom? What can I say? These two are something special.

I have been a Harry fan for so long. I have seen him grow and morph into an amazing man with a caring heart and a mind for change. To see him marry this smart, passionate and hard working woman was a joy.

Meghan? I am reserving judgement for her in terms of how I see her as a royal. But in general? She has been a study in class. Here is a woman many have, and continue to, discount. A woman who has faced incredible racism, sexism and classism since she was introduced as a royal love interest. A woman who has held her head high and show grace and dignity under incredible fire this past week.

I am just so very happy and pleased and happy for Harry. Meghan too. I look forward to seeing what she does as a royal.

This was such an amazing, romantic, genuine, diverse and inclusive service. Regal, but modern.

Congratulations Your Royal Highnesses!

Last edited:

He doesn't know them - they had never met prior to this week. Hence it was generic.

I agree with your views entirely. And also it went on for too long. I really like the first 4-5 minutes (good sermon length IMO) but in the end I switched over and watched something else for a while.

Fantastic photo. Charles really did a great job of making sure that Doria felt included and part of the family. Not floating alone.

I agree, but my husband was howling over the facial expressions of the audience and the Royal Family. It was so far out of their comfort zone. He said he wants to watch that part again without the sound.

I must admit I was the same as your husband :lol: I only made it through listening to him as I was having so much fun watching the guests and their reactions. Zara takes the prize but she wasn't alone ?

I actually liked the sermon of Reverend Curry. But I am used to long sermons :)
At least it was not something out of a book. I don't like the Anglican habit of reading prayers and sermons from a book. I always think when I am listening to that: "Can't you make your own sermon and prayers"

the cake, lovely with the fresh flowers.

WHERE is the skill, or art in that..Patisserie is a NOBLE profession, requiring immense artistry, training and visual sensitivity..
Takeaway the Silver Gilt, and ANY competent home baker could produce that..

He doesn't know them - they had never met prior to this week. Hence it was generic.

I agree with your views entirely. And also it went on for too long. I really like the first 4-5 minutes (good sermon length IMO) but in the end I switched over and watched something else for a while.

Yes, after he mentioned that he hadn't met them in his interview the day before the wedding was when I started to worry about his sermon. Generic for a wedding is as bad as generic for a funeral.

Cepe said: I really like the first 4-5 minutes (good sermon length IMO...

Do you mean that? a sermon of 4 -5 minutes?? Better not to have one at all in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom