Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau and Mabel Wisse-Smit: April 24, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For all those who have said that Mabel's sister Nicoline looked lovely, I totally agree. The colour and cut of the dress was lovely. I especially thought that the colour was not only young and spring-like, but very fitting with Nicoline's fair skin and light blonde hair. I didn't even mind the oversized hat -- it didn't overwhelm her face as much as large hats can on some people.

I loved Nicoline's dress. She looked divine. The colour suited her very well. I noticed that most of the women in attendance today wore very large hats. I usually don't like them too large, but for some reason the majority of them were just outstanding today.

I really liked Maxima's jacket. The cut was gorgeous and simple, with nice detailing around the edge. I wish she had been more colourful, however. Maybe that jacket in a soft pink or light blue?

I was surprised as well that Maxima didn't wear more colour. She is really well known for her great colour choices. However, she certainly added some great flair to black and white. I loved her hat and jacket.

I think Laurentien looks pretty great for someone who gave birth less than a month ago. Her colour choice was nice, fresh and spring-like (I am all about spring colours!  ) But I abhorred the cut of the sleeves on her jacet. The fringe around the eding of the jacket and sleeves was nice, but the flared/cut out sleeves ruined an otherwise nice look.

I have never seen Laurentien wear so much colour and such pattern. Perhaps she had done so before, but I must have missed it. Her colour choices were great. I loved the print and the hat, but I have to agree that I could have done without the sleeves. But when putting it all together, she looked wonderful.

A bit indifferent at the moment to what Marilene wore. The steel gray colour I am not such a fan of, but the nearly fuschia hat might've saved the outfit for me.

I didn't get a very good glimpse of what Marilene wore. The colour was very dark, so I would have needed to see a very good closeup. I did get a clear picture of her hat, which I liked.

Absolutely loved Annette's very detailed gold and copper-coloured jacket. It really dressed up her plain black dress. I hope I look as radiant and beaming as this when I'm 7-8 months pregnant!

Her jacket was gorgeous. I loved the colours and the detailing. I was expecting a more extravagant hat, for some reason. However, when considering the detailing of the jacket, she really didn't need it. I agree that she looked absolutely stunning.

Beatrix's jacket was a very different look for her, but I did like it. Adored the colour. Even the hat I liked; I thought it was a nice, whimsical touch.

Her Majesty really does hats very well, IMO. She hardly ever lets us down, unless the hat is just plain ugly. Today, she looked wonderful and I loved her hat most.

I also liked Mabel's mother's outfit, too. Of course the colour! But the high upturned collar and two-toned detailing on the flipped, over sized cuffs were added touches.

I agree. Mabel's mother looked wonderful. She looked every bit the mother of the bride. The colour was definitely the highlight. Not a colour worn quite often, but a great choice for her.

Princess Irene's purple metallic jacket was nice and the floral skirt feminne.

Didn't care so much for the long, long, to the ground jacket worn by Princess Christina, but I adored the colour.

Princess Margriet always looks so elegant and lady like, it's hard to come up with a complaint about her.

All of the Prince's aunts wore wonderful colour. These ladies are definitely not afraid to go against the norm. I really liked Princess Margriet's stripes. Very whimsical of her. I didn't particularly care for Princess Christina's length. It was just a bit too long. Princess Irene rarely disappoints and didn't today.

I liked the bright colour of Maria Caroline's suit, as well. And the cut was simple and elegant, who could go wrong?

With a shade of red like that, she definitely made the right decision in choosing such simple cut. The colour was definitely one of the standouts of the day.

I didn't like so much Rosario Nadals' long jarcket with the lower-waisted tie. The jacket and tie elongated her frame but the jacket seemed too big that it made her seem a bit frumpy -- which she certainly isn't from other pictures I've seen of her.

Rosario's clothing is usually much more tailored and fitted. I don't know why the looseness today. However, she did look well, but her departure from her usual choice of attire was a bit strange.

Originally posted by Athena+Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Athena @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:21 pm
Very nice wedding pictures.

HM Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands hat is simply fantastic, very very stylish; very typical in HM.

:huh: I didn't realize that a hat that looks like a bird's nest was so fashionable?! Call me crazy, but Queen Beatrix looks ridiculous! As for Laurentian (sp?) there are no words :woot: ! [/b][/quote]
Actually style is subjective as is beauty and most things in the world. Helleniki has an opinion that differs from yours. Have your opinion and state reasons why you may dislike something, but don't ridicule someone elses's opinion. Such attacks will not get a favorable response.

some opinions of the dutch wedding...

the best

maxima's hat: really nice hat!! what a good option! she had also combined it really well with that black simple skirt.

sonja's dress: i loved her style today. really elegant and nice in that light blue outfit.

the worst

the wedding gown: without comments!! that bows were horrible... :shock:

rosario nadal's outfit: the only thing i like of it was the hat...

Are there any pictures of the galadresses on the diner at Noordeinde on 23 April 2004?

dumb question .... who of the Dutch RF did NOT attend ?

also: are there any official announcement about the whole title issue?? i coudlnt find anything on the official website of the royal family, can someone help?

thank you

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Apr 24th, 2004 - 4:46 pm
also: are there any official announcement about the whole title issue?? i coudlnt find anything on the official website of the royal family, can someone help?

thank you
I am sure the information about the title will be found with RVD announcements. It also was most certainly discussed in the media. I've clipped several articles that refer to the new titles of the couple ... Mabel is indeed a princess by title.

Just a few more images, courtesy of Getty Images.

Attachments

• 3464202.jpg
    3464202.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 3464199.jpg
    3464199.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 483
  • 3463589.jpg
    3463589.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 393
  • 3463591.jpg
    3463591.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 3463888.jpg
    3463888.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 3464186.jpg
    3464186.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 3463890.jpg
    3463890.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 3463892.jpg
    3463892.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 3464204.jpg
    3464204.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 431
  • 3464203.jpg
    3464203.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Attachments

• bcd79ae1.jpg
    bcd79ae1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 85e6e2a9.jpg
    85e6e2a9.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 241
  • b4a149a7.jpg
    b4a149a7.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 333
  • a0da8ed60.jpg
    a0da8ed60.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 444
  • aedf413a3.jpg
    aedf413a3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,658
  • cf94be75.jpg
    cf94be75.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 269
  • c87db84e.jpg
    c87db84e.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 201d8e3a.jpg
    201d8e3a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,529
  • ad5b141eb.jpg
    ad5b141eb.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
what about newly couples got cursteys and bows from HM Queen ? you have pictures ?

Sara Boyce

Did anyone else notice how she was looking adoringly at him and he looked like he could care less?

Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:52 pm
Did anyone else notice how she was looking adoringly at him and he looked like he could care less?
Yes!!! It looked like he was getting exasperated. At one point she tried to take his hand and he dropped it.

Originally posted by King Christian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 5:27 pm
No dumb questions ...

I believe that I saw all of Margriet's children, and also Maria Carolina, Jaime and Carlos ... Definitely no Margarita, however.

To ask another question about the guests present today: The few royal guests in attendance today were not representing their own royal houses, but as personal friends of the family or the couple. King Harald of Norway is Johan Friso's godfather, hence his and Queen Sonja's apperance. But what is the extent of the relationship between Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan and the Prince and Princess of Preslav with the Dutch royal family or this couple?

Originally posted by Alexandria+Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:55 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:55 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-King Christian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 5:27 pm
No dumb questions ...

I believe that I saw all of Margriet's children, and also Maria Carolina, Jaime and Carlos ... Definitely no Margarita, however.

To ask another question about the guests present today: The few royal guests in attendance today were not representing their own royal houses, but as personal friends of the family or the couple. King Harald of Norway is Johan Friso's godfather, hence his and Queen Sonja's apperance. But what is the extent of the relationship between Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan and the Prince and Princess of Preslav with the Dutch royal family or this couple? [/b][/quote]
The al-Hassan's are close to the Dutch RF, while Frisso is probably close to Kyril and Rosario from London. Both he and Kyril work in banking & they're around the same age. Marlene may know more.

Shall we start taking bets on when this marriage will be over? I think they will have at least one kid. I wonder if JF will then get his rights reinstated?

Bubbette  Posted: Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:59 pm

Shall we start taking bets on when this marriage will be over? I think they will have at least one kid. I wonder if JF will then get his rights reinstated?

Far be it for me to comment ... I'm just posted because of the two preceding comments ...all the same .... concur, one kid .....

JF wouldn't be re-instated, but imo will become a senior statesman. He gets a certain independence this way.

Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 25th, 2004 - 5:59 am
I agree with you
I'm in for that poll....

Oh well. I don't talk about it here...........

:doh:

Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 25th, 2004 - 12:59 am
What a horrible and mean idea! To take bets on when someone's marriage will fail, and just barely 24 hours after they have gotten married. :yuk:

And, Johan Friso would not have his succession rights reinstated if his marriage to Mabel were to be dissolved. Yesterday, when he married Mabel, he gave up his succession rights for good, irregardless of the longevity of the marriage.

Alexandria, thank you for the beautiful pictures. They are really lovely. I wonder if there aren't any pictures of Maurits and Marilene. Their daughter was bridesmaid and they were engaged with the guests of the church. I saw a glimpse of them on television. but I haven't seen any photos of the lovely couple.

and Floris? any pictures of him?

:unsure:

Originally posted by Jacqueline+Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:37 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jacqueline @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:37 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Athena@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:40 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-helleniki
@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:21 pm
Very nice wedding pictures.

HM Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands hat is simply fantastic, very very stylish; very typical in HM.

:huh: I didn't realize that a hat that looks like a bird's nest was so fashionable?! Call me crazy, but Queen Beatrix looks ridiculous! As for Laurentian (sp?) there are no words :woot: !
Actually style is subjective as is beauty and most things in the world. Helleniki has an opinion that differs from yours. Have your opinion and state reasons why you may dislike something, but don't ridicule someone elses's opinion. Such attacks will not get a favorable response. [/b][/quote]
:huh: Woah! Excuse me but I was not ridiculing Hellenki's reponse; rather I was stating my opinion! Is there a problem with me disagreeing with her? Did I sound as if I was being rude? No! I wasn't at all nor was that my intent.

However, if you feel that was the way I came off...well that is your problem. Thanks for your rude remark and as a result I will no longer post here.

EDITED TO ADD:
That was not an attack (something to which you believe) against anyone. Give me a break. I'd rather post at The Fashion Spot where people can freely state their opinion about the royals without being harassed. See you there. ;)

Have a nice day :rolleyes:

Jacqueline's remark wasn't rude. However, your attack on her just now was. If you no longer wish to post here, that is your choice.

Originally posted by Sean.~+Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:01 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:01 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:55 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-King Christian
@Apr 24th, 2004 - 5:27 pm

No dumb questions ...

To ask another question about the guests present today: The few royal guests in attendance today were not representing their own royal houses, but as personal friends of the family or the couple. King Harald of Norway is Johan Friso's godfather, hence his and Queen Sonja's apperance. But what is the extent of the relationship between Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan and the Prince and Princess of Preslav with the Dutch royal family or this couple?
The al-Hassan's are close to the Dutch RF, while Frisso is probably close to Kyril and Rosario from London. Both he and Kyril work in banking & they're around the same age. Marlene may know more. [/b][/quote]
There were also photos of PSarvath with QNoor at Queen Juliania's funeral

Originally posted by Sean.~+Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:02 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:02 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Jacqueline@Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:11 pm
Originally posted by mybags@Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:51 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Alexandria

Is it just me or did Prince El Hassan and Princess Sarvath bring their children with them. Also, is the new Princess Rym Ali visible in the background? :huh:

I don't know if the people behind them are their children, but I definitely don't recognize any of them to be Rym.
Hassan and wife are accompanied by 2 of their daughters and their son. [/b][/quote]
And that's actually their third daughter at the back, the one who someone mistook for Rym Ibrahimi is PBadiya

I don't think the top of Mabel's dress was that bad, but that train was just terrible. I don't know what she was thinking. But, she has a lot to live up to with Maxima and Laurentein as her sisters-in-law. They are both very stylish.

I thought both Maxima and Laurentein looked absolutely beautiful. I can't believe Laurentein just had a baby! She looks wonderful!

I wish Johan Friso and Mabel many years of happiness. :flower:

I absolutely LOVE royal weddings, I think Mabel did look beautiful but maybe a few too many bows for my taste. Maxima looked amazing and Laurentein looked fantastic considering she has only just had a baby.
A wonderful wedding!

Originally posted by nicole31@Apr 25th, 2004 - 9:26 pm
I absolutely LOVE royal weddings, I think Mabel did look beautiful but maybe a few too many bows for my taste. Maxima looked amazing and Laurentein looked fantastic considering she has only just had a baby.
A wonderful wedding!
Royal weddings are fun ;) Although this particular wedding has been labeled as a B rated royal wedding in the press. There was an article today. Would you or anyone else like the link?

i dont know whether this has been posted before, but i hadnt seen it:
an official group photo with the few foreign royals that were there.

http://www.hello-magazine.com/royalty/2004...friso-dop2a.jpg

how small the wedding looks

26 APRIL 2004

Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands married his fiancée, human rights campaigner Mabel Wisse Smit, on Saturday. By wedding Mabel without the approval of his country's government, Johan made the ultimate romantic gesture, because in doing so he gave up his right to the throne.

The civil ceremony at City Hall was performed by the Mayor of Delft, before the couple travelled to the Old Church for a religious wedding. In saying "I do", Johan Friso, who was third in line to the Dutch throne, accepted he would never be king. He retains the title Prince of Orange-Nassau while his new bride remains a commoner.

The newlyweds have had to overcome their share of obstacles in order to marry. Mabel's rumoured relationship with underworld boss Klaas Bruinsma provoked a national controversy early last year.

While she denies ever being romantically involved with Bruinsma, she and Johan have admitted to misleading the government during a prenuptial vetting process. This resulted in Johan Friso failing to win official approval for his choice of bride.

Past misunderstandings were forgotten on Saturday though when the prime minister joined King Harald of Norway and the rest of the Dutch royal family in celebrating the union.

Originally posted by Alexandria+Apr 25th, 2004 - 1:38 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Apr 25th, 2004 - 1:38 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-konan@Apr 25th, 2004 - 2:33 pm
Alexandria, thank you for the beautiful pictures. They are really lovely. I wonder if there aren't any pictures of Maurits and Marilene. Their daughter was bridesmaid and they were engaged with the guests of the church. I saw a glimpse of them on television. but I haven't seen any photos of the lovely couple.
You're very welcome konan.

There were not very many pictures of Maurits and Marilene despite Anna's participation in the wedding.

Here is one I posted earllier:

Maurits and Marilene [/b][/quote]
I would also like to add my thanks for the wonderful pictures. I was not able to see the wedding except for a brief glimpse on CNN. Despite all that has happened the wedding appeared have been a wonderful event. The bride was pretty and the groom was handsome :p Belated congratulations to them both!

Well, I have to say I hated the dress. It would have been fine if the top half of the bodice was bows, and the skirt and the train were plain. It really looked terrible. But you have to admit you will remember it. Mabel did look beautiful though.

Back
Top Bottom