Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones: 19 June 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

Yes, its a medieval type of place :wub:

I think she looked very lovely as she entered the church, the veil and tiara were absolutely beautiful. But the dress per se was a bit too simple and clean. But it was 1999 - I think fashion those days was kind of minimalism and clean chic...

Not just the place, I loved the tiara and dress, veil and all exactly for being, or at least looking, medieval.;) It really amazes me how our opinions can differ - many people disliked Sophie's choices for the same reason.:D

Not just the place, I loved the tiara and dress, veil and all exactly for being, or at least looking, medieval.;) It really amazes me how our opinions can differ - many people disliked Sophie's choices for the same reason.:D
so we conclude that Sophie can be special siometimes, her choices are not tipicals (that's how you write it right?...sorry). Maybe for the plaace and the dress and the entire medieval ambient that tiara fit just good,, but i still don't like the fact she stills wearing it, she wore that tiara at CP Victoria's wedding, and she wears many times.

But is just my humble opinion, hahaha.

Have a nice sunday :)

Oh, I wasn't referring to you in particular, Abril. You have every right not to like her choices on that special day. I've heard so many negative comments from others as well. I guess I liked the fact that she dared to differ.;):flowers:

Oh, I wasn't referring to you in particular, Abril. You have every right not to like her choices on that special day. I've heard so many negative comments from others as well. I guess I liked the fact that she dared to differ.;):flowers:

Oh Noor! I never thought you were referring to me! I was just saying that Sophie is special, her choices are not bad, but aren't stunning either, just that. So don't worry darling, I am not mad, or nathing similar, I was just trying to reply that you said that this wwedding generated a lot of different comments. :D

I remember when they got married many people said tyhat she were going to be like Diana, but she showed to be quite different. I like her anyway, Prince Edward looked "really english" on their wedding day right? quite elegant...

I remember watching their wedding when it was on tv.

This is the first thread I've seen it reported that the coat train was detachable from the gown. From the way the media reported the wedding details albeit it was long ago, I remember it being described as a coat dress. Meaning, the train section isn't detachable.

When I watched the video again, I saw that Sophie's dress was essentially two: a simple dress that flowed into a short train at the back with a trained coat over it. Apparently the train was some 12' long.

Question about person at their wedding

Hello,

this may be slightly off topic, for which I apologise, but I really don't know where else to post it.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me who was the young woman (in a pale green - I think - dress) who handed Sophie her bouquet when she was sitting in the coach, after the wedding ceremony.

She can be seen at 1:45 - 1:49 in this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgGtaSiuSc&feature=related

It's not terribly important, but I would appreciate it. ;)

Thanks!

Or someone associated with the designer. That's what I am thinking.

Yes,it´s the designer of her dress Samantha Shaw.

From People Magazine:
the new Earl and Countess of Wessex—titles bestowed that morning by the Queen—and their guests dined at Windsor Castle on a buffet of haddock coulibiac, beef stroganoff, raspberries and wedding cake. Edward toasted "the hostess of this evening—perhaps the most wonderful mother in the world, the Queen." Recalls Sam Haskell, who promotes the prince's Ardent TV company in the U.S.: "It was like we were at this wonderful, loving southern wedding."

Even the dancing defied expectations. While the Royal Marines Band played rock oldies, "Prince William was teaching everyone how to line dance," says a guest. The Queen joined Beatrice and Eugenie in boogeying to the Village People's "Y.M.C.A." "And this charming old gentleman took the Queen Mum to the floor, she threw her walking sticks aside, and she started to do the twist," says Anthony Andrews. "The Queen then stamped her feet and pleaded, 'Come on, Mummy, it's time for bed.' It brought the house down."

At midnight, the newlyweds, still in wedding wear, departed in a maroon Rolls Royce trailing heart-shaped balloons. After a night at the Royal Lodge, the Queen Mum's Windsor abode, and brunch the next day hosted by Sophie's parents at Bagshot Park—the nine-bedroom, 87-acre estate 10 miles south of Windsor that the earl and the countess will call home once renovations are complete—it was off to Balmoral for an abbreviated honeymoon.
Edward & Sophie - Weddings, The British Royals, Prince Edward, Sophie of Wessex : People.com

Also a photo gallery: Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones Wedding, Royal WeddingsRoyal Wedding Prints - Box Canvas Prints from Media Storehouse

And official wedding portraits:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/official-royal-wedding-portraits-569-6.html#post133488
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/official-royal-wedding-portraits-569-6.html#post133443

Countess of Wessex wedding dress a poor fit

Can anyone tell me why this dress looks like it is falling off her shoulders. I have tried to see if I could find a sketch of the dress by the designer to see what it was supposed to look like but can't. Am I the only person who sees this?

Can anyone tell me why this dress looks like it is falling off her shoulders. I have tried to see if I could find a sketch of the dress by the designer to see what it was supposed to look like but can't. Am I the only person who sees this?

Just finished watching a programme about many of the weddings. I can't say that I noticed that her dress appeared to be falling off her shoulders, however, it was very windy, so there might have been some disturbance to the dress, along with the veil.

I found the wedding very cold and distant but when they walked out they seemed very happy.

Sophie's dress was one of my least favorites.It was shapless and looked like a nightgown.I know she was trying to keep up with the medieval theme of the wedding but,I don't think it worked out.

Plus the the necklace was nice but not for a wedding.

That was one of the most unattractive wedding gowns I have seen on a royal bride. I think everyone can agree that it looks like nightgown and not a very good one. The veil is pretty but it clashes with the gown and together it looks like a big jumble.

Last edited:
^^^^^
Nope, not everyone will be in agreement.

I thought that Sophie dress-and-coat combination was ideal for a more mature bride. The style of the coat suited St. George's very well. I didn't and don't like the tiara and thought that the coat was a bit large on the shoulders. But other than that, I thought that she looked great.:flowers:

I never knew Sophie's bridal bouquet was also placed on the Grave of The Unknown Warrioir at Westminster Abbey. I know it is a tradition with Royal brides, but I thought it was only those who married at Westminster.

Grave of the Unknown Warrior

This article states that Sophie's was not laid on it, but the image above clearly indicates it was.

Among the daughters-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II, only Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York had laid her bouquet on the tomb as her wedding to the Queen's second son, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, in July 1986 was held at Westminster Abbey.
Diana and Charles were married at St. Paul's Cathedral in July 1981, the Queen's youngest son, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex and Sophie Rhys-Jones were married at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in June 1999 while Prince Charles's church's blessing with Camilla Parker-Bowles happened also at St. George's chapel.

The press never seem to get their information correct. On that note, her bouquet was beautiful.

Last edited:
You are right, it did look as though it was coming off her shoulders, and I could guess why. First, it was a coat for the Chapel, in a medieval style, very nice and appropriate for St. Georges Chapel in windsor. She had a dress underneath, you can see some of the skirt when she climbs the steps, but never took pictures in it.
I think the coat was too big but mostly the too long and heavy train dragged on it, so that the shoulders pulled apart the v neck as she walked. Poor thing.
The train was too much for the design, and the weight of it was not taken by the waist but by the shoulders.

I never knew Sophie's bridal bouquet was also placed on the Grave of The Unknown Warrioir at Westminster Abbey. I know it is a tradition with Royal brides, but I thought it was only those who married at Westminster.

Grave of the Unknown Warrior

This article states that Sophie's was not laid on it, but the image above clearly indicates it was.

The press never seem to get their information correct. On that note, her bouquet was beautiful.
I have a picture somewhere of Diana's bouquet at the Abbey after her wedding...

Don't you remember Edward's wink and grin at Sophie when she reached him, and her beaming smile?

I found the wedding very cold and distant but when they walked out they seemed very happy.

Sophie carried a boquet of ivory roses.
:rose2::rose::lancasterrose::tudorrose::rose2::rose:

The engagement of Edward and Sophie was announced on January 6, 1999.
They stated that they were having a late spring wedding in St. George's Chapel in Windsor.
True to their word, their wedding day was June 19th, in late Spring.​

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Countess of Wessex's Gown

I really dislike her gown. I though it aged her, and I didn't like the shape. However, I thought it was interesting how she wore a coat. One of the things I love about her look was the train, veil, and tiara. I thought the rest of her jewels were awful however. This dress is not terrible but I find it boring and shapeless.

The site asks: "Was Sophie's dress a success, or not?"

IMO it was a success. :flowers: But of course I love everything about Sophie. On that day, I think she shimmered. It was very special. At long last, after innumerable delays, finally she was having her day. Well done. :)

Back
Top Bottom