Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved Leonore – she reminded me of Estelle at Madeleine's wedding. I loved that she continuously tried to get in contact with QMII (who is notoriously bad with young children so she felt a bit uneasy) and then proceeded to be held by her father, her mother, her uncle and her aunt (Daniel was the definite winner of the Who can make Leonore stop screaming? competition). Estelle was cute as a button as well – who doesn't love her, the little thing.

Queen Margrethe ought to keep an eye on Leonore -- she has a lot of grandsons who might make a good match with her! (100 years ago, they probably would have the marriage contracts ready.)

Everyone seems to be hot, they're fanning themselves.

Everyone seems to be hot, they're fanning themselves.

I noticed that there and in the chapel as well. Do they have air conditioning in Sweden? I know it's a stupid question but do they?

I noticed that there and in the chapel as well. Do they have air conditioning in Sweden? I know it's a stupid question but do they?

In old 16th/17th C rooms the National Patrimonium Board most likely does not allow airconditioning as this requires breaking in historic artefacts of national importance. Note that it is hot because a) there are LOTS of people and b) there are TV-lights. In usual circumstances the venues will not be that hot.

Kalnel - Leonore might be for little boy Georgie of Cambridge ; )

This lace-y wedding dress all started from Princess Grace Kelly's ravishing wedding dress! When I saw Catherine's wedding gown, I instantly remarked "She copied Grace's lace!"

I just looked at Kate's wedding gown and saw that her and Sofia's gowns are different in many ways - the use of lace is just the similarity. Hello magazine exaggerated again : /

Last edited:
In old 16th/17th C rooms the National Patrimonium Board most likely does not allow airconditioning as this requires breaking in historic artefacts of national importance. Note that it is hot because a) there are LOTS of people and b) there are TV-lights. In usual circumstances the venues will not be that hot.

Of course. We have the same situation in some of the historic buildings and houses here in Charleston for the same reason. Thank you.

I can't help but laugh when The King gave his toast. Just the way he yell when he speak :lol:

I don't particularly enjoy pop music in weddings, not because it is not traditional, but because a church
wedding is after all a religious ceremony where music should fit
into the liturgy and serve liturgical purposes. Catholic and Anglican weddings do that very well, coming from different traditions.
I don't know a lot about the (Lutheran) Church of Sweden though.

I couldn't agree more!
Church weddings call for music written for the church or -at least -
be able to blend in with the liturgy! While I accept the odd 'pop-solo'
en route just to add a personal touch, Sofia and Carl-Philip took
things way too far today. It was toe-crumbling, IMHO of course!

viv

I found it strange that Princess Sofia did not make a révérence when she arrived at the altar. Prince Carl Philip made a bow (three times) and Princess Sofia followed him somewhat half-hearted, not really knowing what to do.

I couldn't agree more!

viv

Well, on Queen Máxima's wedding a soloïst played on a bandoneón, a tango by Ástor Piazzolla, called Adiós Nonino, which means Farewell Papa (or grandpapa). So I think every couple has their own wishes, but I agree, at least a bandoneón is no pop-music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Queen Mathilde on the dinner? I don't see her.

I was looking for her too. She, Maxima and Mette-Marit usually hang together. I thought I must have missed her in the throng of people. :unsure:

Lace wedding dresses are eternal.
Princess Grace wedding dress is still great, comparing to Princesses Astrid and Diana wedding dresses.

I found it strange that Princess Sofia did not make a révérence when she arrived at the altar. Prince Carl Philip made a bow (three times) and Princess Sofia followed him somewhat half-hearted, not really knowing what to do.

I think when they were reciting the Lord's Prayer (my Swedish is a little rusty LOL), it seemed to me she didn't join in and was looking around. She wasn't the only one, though. I could be wrong.

Well, on Queen Máxima's wedding a soloïst played on a bandoneón, a tango by Ástor Piazzolla, called Adiós Nonino, which means Farewell Papa (or grandpapa). So I think every couple has their own wishes, but I agree, at least a bandoneón is no pop-music.

Yep, I remember! It was a beautiful piece of music which didn't clash with the occasion:)!

I don't understand much Swedish but the King seems to be really struggling with his speech

I know some people didn't like the 'joyful, joyful' song in the end of the ceremony, but that happens when people aren't used to that kind of gospel music, especially in churches like that. I thought that was a nice touch of holy ghost music.

I couldn't agree more!

viv

I agree, I thought those songs at Victoria and Madeleine's wedding were dreadful as well, really tacky, which surprised me as this family are very classy the rest of the time. The wedding today was even worse in that respect and the least said about the way they left the church the better. She was a lovely bride though.

I know some people didn't like the 'joyful, joyful' song in the end of the ceremony, but that happens when people aren't used to that kind of gospel music, especially in churches like that. I thought that was a nice touch of holy ghost music.

You definitely have to be used to gospel music to really enjoy it and feel the joy.

I just have to say that church weddings for millions of people occur in churches built upon gospel music to spread the word. All this "that music does not belong in church"... "at a wedding," is just cultural bias. Which you are welcome to have, if you like. Just understand - that it is bias.

You definitely have to be used to gospel music to really enjoy it and feel the joy.

Yeah, as soon as the song came on, I was surprised and then began to clap, raise my hands and joined the singing. I know that song backwards and forwards, so I enjoyed it. I truly felt the love and holy ghost at this wedding.

Has anyone seen pictures of Countess Bettina Bernadotte? I seem to have missed her

She and her father bowed to each side when they were walking up the aisle. Maybe that's why she was unsure if she should do it again.

What Hello Magazine people are reading because they did not mention Kate's dress at all when talking about Sofia dress

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to say that church weddings for millions of people occur in churches built upon gospel music to spread the word. All this "that music does not belong in church"... "at a wedding," is just cultural bias. Which you are welcome to have, if you like. Just understand - that it is bias.

There's nothing wrong with gospel music per se; however the problem is that it doesn't necessarily translate well into the tradition and liturgy of other churches!
Being educated in Northern European Lutheran church music and tradition I would like to think that I happen to know what I'm talking about :)! And maybe you should consider the possibility that other posters happen to be familiar with the traditions of their churches!

I don't mind gospel music but this wasn't a gospel church and I didn't think it was right for the occasion. However it was still preferable to that other song. Was that "Umbrella" by Rhianna that guy was singing?

Back
Top Bottom