Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, July 1986

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what rank is that Uniform also what was Edwards rank and who was Bestman and who was Groomsman

The best man was Prince Edward. The page boys were Seamus Luedecke, Peter Phillips, and Prince William.

In The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

The next morning Andrew proposed again and gave her a $37,000 ruby ring.
Sarah immediately called her father.
"Dads, he's asked me to marry him," she yelled. "I made him propose twice, just to be sure." :onering::onering::onering::onering:

Last edited by a moderator:
The wedding looks like a beautiful wedding. The gown and her red hair is fantastzic !! I love prince anndrew

I stayed up all night to watch that wedding live. It was beautiful, romantic and fun. They were crazy in love and it showed.:whistling:

My all-time favorite British Royal wedding!

Absolutely loved Sarah's dress...one of my favorites of all royal weddings. You could tell it was a very happy day.

LaRae

Absolutely loved Sarah's dress...one of my favorites of all royal weddings. You could tell it was a very happy day.

LaRae

It was the last of the grand dresses (size-wise) to be worn by a British royal and I don't think we will see another dress like it...;)

In the 80s Sarah was my favourite bride :)

With the fashion of the 80s Sarah was indeed the best bride. As for the veil
someone's imagination flies ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know fashion goes in swings and roundabouts, who knows, meringue could be back on the menu.

I found her too unpolished, unpoised and "loud". The wild red hair and that helicpter embroidered into the veil gave it all a vulgar hint. For the rest Sarah was "better" as a bride because at least she did not drown into a dress, like her sister-in-law Diana.

She really wasn't the most poised bride, agree. The way she walked into the church for example :ROFLMAO: But it looked like a fun wedding, everyone was happy.

I remember the A's and anchors on the gown...but not the helicopter on the veil.

LaRae

I think Duc must be joking - this is the first time I ever heard of a helicopter embroidered in her veil - the veil had sequins dotted all over it and a scalloped lace edging.

I know that there were true lovers knots embroidered on but not the helicopters. Glad I didn't miss that for the last twenty odd years.

That's what she wrote the books about....I bought them back when they came out.

Don't remember that being on her veil or gown.

LaRae

I couldn't actually find any reference to there being a helicopter on the veil but thought the Budgie reference would be kind of a tongue in cheek kind of thing. :whistling:

I think there was a bee somewhere in the design, a family emblem from memory.

I quite liked Sarah at first until she got a bit too 'out there' - the tv game show was just a bit too much.

:previous: I think she was always 'out there', but the public didn't know.:)

Same here. I think ALL the Royal wedding dresses of the 80's were hideous...the only two exceptions are Maria Teresa of Luxembourg and especially Sarah Ferguson's.

Sarah's was simply gorgeous...the color, the fit, the magnificent embroidery.

I hated her hair and her veil, but that beautiful gown made up for it! And for the record there was no helicopter on any part of her bridal costume! There was a giant "A" for Andrew embroidered on the train of her gown. And there were lovers' knots, bees and thistles, the latter which formed part of her Coat of Arms.

Last edited:
I didn't mind how Sarah looked, as IMO she was on point with the fashion of teh 80s, but I thought she and Andrew were beaming, full of passion and looked supercute...

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Best Royal Wedding Dresses: #5. Sarah, Duchess of York

I really like Sarah's dress. It's elegant, beautiful, and regal. It's definitely a dress appropriate for a royal. Though there are some things I dislike about the dress. I didn't like the bows, the "A" on the train or the pouf of the sleeves. Her hairstyle was also awful. But what makes me like the dress is the exquisite design of the bodice. It was incredible. All in all, I like her dress, but it's not one of my favorites.

Me too...I loved Sarah's dress...it was just stunning! Style/color..all of it!

LaRae

This was a marriage that could and should have worked. Who knows what lies ahead!

With the fashion of the 80s Sarah was indeed the best bride. As for the veil
someone's imagination flies ;)

It really suited her! Great choice! The headpiece of flowers?, at best jury still out on that one!:flowers:

I thought the flowers were lovely followed by the tiara. Considering how uncertain Sarah's taste usually is, I think she got the wedding dress amazingly right. It was big, flamboyant but not in danger of going OTT, like Diana's was.

Yes I liked the flowers too it was a beautiful dress. I think she listened to someone when designing the dress and hasn't listened to anyone since !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I wasn't that keen on all the bows she had a thing with them always in her hair she looked silly most of the time. When your a kid sure when you are a woman who is 26/27 no. But I loved the shape of the dress on her and that it sparkled. The flowers/tiara was very nice I just loved the flowers it was nice to see some colour. I don't get why bridesmaids seem to be in white or off white. I loved Sarahs flower girls the colour was really pretty. I agree with you going by the Sarah we see I think someone was guiding her. I often wonder why no one thought about Diana's dress crushing so badly bad designers but I think Sarah and her designer took note.

Di's designers were young and inexperienced, it was their first big commission and there' had not been a really really big royal wedding of this nature in a long time. SO I think that Sarah profited form Di's experience. She had the big dress but not too big and it really suited her because she has an "old fashioned" figure, curvy and with a bust and bottom...whereas Di's dress almost drowned her because she was so slim by then.
Probably the powers that be did watch Di's wedding and advised S of the mistakes, like the dress crushing and being OTT, and they were able to make sure it was toned down for her clothes and look

Back
Top Bottom