Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, July 1986

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also loved her wedding march...very regal.

I loved this wedding. You could genuinely see their exuberance for each other. Sarah looked amazing, in fact, her gown is one of my top three favorite royal wedding gowns, and I love how she had the "A" on her train.
I did love her tiara--it was very classic. It is a pity we've not seen in years. I hope one of the girls wears it for their wedding, but they may follow tradition and wear the fringe instead.

I think her wedding dress is one of the most beautiful wedding dresses I have seen.Her bows are lovely and the veil too:flowers:

I agree, Sarah's dress is one of my favourite Royal brides too. I think the fitting of the dress was perfect, particularly around the bodice. There were so many lovely touches about the ensemble such as the honey bees/the A embroidered on the train & the flowered headdress being replaced by the tiara.

Sarah looked radiant on her wedding day - I liked that she entered the church wearing a wreath on her hair and exited the church wearing a tiara, as the new duchess she was. Her dress was beautiful and flattered her figure. And Andrew personified Prince Charming.

To me nothing beats the smile on Andrew's face when he first sees Sarah.

Everything was perfect about this wedding: the bride and her dress, the groom, the bridesmaids dress. The Queen looked happy (one of my all time pics is of her w/Prince William after Andrew and Sarah leave the palace.)

Its a shame, I thought they were going to make it.

But we do have great memories.

Last edited:
Zonk I completely agree with you! I was 100% certain that these two were going to go the distance. I was so shocked and saddened when things began to fall apart.

I stayed awake all night to watch their wedding, and unlike that of the Prince and Princess of Wales, this wedding felt like a REAL love match, at least to me.

If Andrew and Sarah had been any happier they would have begun to levitate...I loved this wedding and everything about it.

Perfect bride, perfect groom, magnificent church and the flower girls and boys were perhaps the most beautiful I have ever seen at a Royal wedding.

Great memories.:whistling:

Hi everyone, is there any earlier photo's of Sarah Duchess of York when she started
with the Royal family? I would really enjoy to see.

To me nothing beats the smile on Andrew's face when he first sees Sarah.

Everything was perfect about this wedding: the bride and her dress, the groom, the bridesmaids dress. The Queen looked happy (one of my all time pics is of her w/Prince William after Andrew and Sarah leave the palace.)

I say the same as you.
Saw you so happy and in love. And those looks that were devoted the one to the other. And then, while they walked together toward away from the abbey, I found beautiful how they caught of the hand.

Here's one of Nancy Reagan, the First Lady of the US at the time.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Alice and Andrew Ferguson - you can get a good look at what the red seats the bridesmaid and pages sit in.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52110237/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library
View down the mall.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51403476/Getty-Images-Entertainment
The Crowds at BP ( Is is just me or does it look really dirty?)
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51403523/Getty-Images-Entertainment
One in the throne room - I love how the train looks in this picture.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/56800118/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library
William playing with Davina Windsor in the quadrangle after the ceremony.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52119053/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library

I remember getting up very early to see the wedding. Barbara Walters was talking and the wedding was just about ready to begin. It was beautiful. I liked the wedding dress.

Add me to the list that loves Sarah's wedding dress. It's regal and grand without being over the top.

Does anybody have any good pics of the embroidery on her gown? And on the train? I just love the detailing on her dress but haven't been able to find any good pics of it.

Yes her dress was beautiful and it fit her body.

I dunno if I'm allowed to do this due to copyright but for now I'll post a small excerpt from Sarah's book about her wedding breakfast:
"Inside the State Dining Room as I sat between Prince Phillip and ex-King Constantine of Greece for our wedding "breakfast" of lamb and lobster I came back to royal reality. You could count a hundred highborn people in that majestic room -there had been some big arguments about who should be there and where they should sit , and mostly I had lost. It was lavish and proper and dull, that lunch. At one point we raised a glass , yet no one made a toast, for that was not traditional! "
Another small part that caught my eye:
"I had somehow missed out on little vital things like candid snapshots of the bride to be in hair curlers , no one had thought to bring a camera to Clarence House that morning."
© "My Story" - By Sarah Ferguson
Link to scans
http://i52.tinypic.com/1zi2wn.jpg
http://www.imgplace.com/viewimg141/3765/56dsc01930.jpg

Last edited:
are there any pictures of the shoes Sarah wore at her wedding?

Finally I watched whole ceremony (thanks Youtube) and I really like it.
Sarah looked great, her dress suited her a lot, I only don't like too small bouquet. Little attendants were cute, beautiful dressed, my favorite is off course P William in his sailor suit.
The church was wonderful, I' m so happy that we will see another wedding inside it. Westminster Abbey is so regal, I almost can feel the history of that place, passed coronations and weddings.
A&S's wedding was grand but not too pompous. The were such a lovely couple, pity that it's a history already.
I really hope that W&C's wedding will be similar, I will be really enjoyed watching it.

... and unlike that of the Prince and Princess of Wales, this wedding felt like a REAL love match, at least to me.
I think it is still a love match. They're just not married anymore.

I must have been naive, as Charles and Diana looked like a love match at their wedding, as well. One sees what one is hoping for, I guess.

they seemed like they were made for each other... is there any possibility of them remarrying each other?

Frankly speaking, I loved Sarah's dress more than Diana's.

I always think that Sarah's wedding dress is one of the understated ones on the Royal scene. Sarah being an older bride than Diana would have much more in her respository of ideas when she got married. I like her dress, her tiara, her train and veil and her bouquet. And it showed that she married in the 80's. But I agreed with a comment on the Sartorial Splendour blog - when Diana appeared on the television screen (for those who watched at the time), no-one was complaing about her gown but only sounds of Oohs and Aaahs.

People make a big deal now of the gown not looking dated, such as in Grace Kelly's case and the beautiful Danish princesses but that's only because the fashion at the time of their weddings resembled the current trends. Trust me, when the fashion preferences changes, their gown would look just as odd and out of place. So I always look at things in the context of its era - e.g. Queen Mother's wedding gown.

Sarah's gown is tops and the embroidery definitely gives it a royal touch.

Last edited:
Sarah's wedding dress was definitely one of the best of all royal wedding dresses, definitely in the Top 3 of British Royal Wedding dresses. The only thing that didn't work was that flower arrangement on her head when she went in. I don't care why she wore it or her obsession with Queen Victoria, it did not work for Sarah and i wish they would have axed it before the ball got rolling. A part from the flowers and too curly hair, everything else was perfect. The design and cut of the dress, the shiny material, the jeweled bodice, even all the things on the train all fit together perfectly. It is so surprising that Sarah who has such horrible fashion choices had such a beautiful gown; while Diana a fashion icon, had one of the worst gowns I have ever seen. Both got married in the 80s but somehow Sarah or her designers knew how to make a beautiful gown and a good lasting impression. She had big sleeves, but they weren't over the top and made to look clownish. Her train was long, but not too long that it looked like toilet paper. Another thing about sarah's gown, to the people who have watched the videos, have you noticed that when she gets out of the carriage the gown is above her ankles? I don't know why that happened, but it looked kind of tacky to me.

You are right. Sarah's gown was much prettier than Diana's, but that is where it stopped. Diana became a knockout, fashionwise, and Sarah a pariah. Sarah had no taste.

Back
Top Bottom