Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, July 1986

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They've just divorced for a long tima, ha?

I also loved Sarah's dress--she looked so radiant that day! The Royal Family looked so happy; I will say that I loathed Diana's polka-dot monstrosity. As for Sarah's floral arrangement on top of her head, I believe that tradition goes back to Queen Victoria, who wore a very similar flower arrangement on her head and then a tiara after the wedding--it makes Sarah's tribute to Queen Victoria touching, but it can't erase that the flower headpiece was really too big---

Where were the engagement photos taken? Windsor?

Buckingham Palace, marezdote.

Yep, the main part of Buckingham Palace is quite a bit older than the facade that we're so used to seeing; it's less ornate and is built from a brown stone, not that white that we're so familiar with. So photos taken in the garden looking back at the building will show architecture that doesn't look much like the front of the building.

More APL engagement pictures.

Hi Mandy,
would you by any chance have larger pictures of theseas I can lay claim to having designed and made the Belt That ~Sarah Fergusonj wore at the engagement photos, she very kindly sent me a signed copy showing the belt but sadly lost this and many other pictures in ahouse fire 13 years ago. many thanks for your help if you can in advance
yours
Rumpers

Oh, I love seeing the footage of their wedding. It takes me back to when I was a child and I got up really early to watch the wedding with my aunt and cousins. It is too bad that this romance didn't work out. I know that a lot of people don't like Sarah Ferguson, but I have always liked her. She seems like she has a fun and friendly personality.

I liked Sarah, The Duchess of York's Wedding dress soooo much better then Diana's bc diana's look WAYYYYYYY to big for her it looked like it would fall off of her any moment it didnt flatter diana. Sarah's dress how ever was SOOOO flattering on her and it really made her look good i mean it FLATTERED Sarah's figure SOOOOOOO well unlike diana's dress.

I liked Sarah Duchess of York's wedding dress very much. Apart from anything else, it contained honey bees, my favourite creatures. Without them we would have no food...we would all die.
It was a great statement I thought, which has never been picked up upon. I often wonder if the Prince of Wales keeps bees at his Highgrove home.

Sarah's dress was a perfect one for her figure.

My understanding about the floral headpiece was it was formed in the shape of a floral tiara.....to be removed by cutting from the diamond tiara she wore once vows exchanged.....

The reason Sarah's silk duchess satin gown appeared to fit her better is that it did as she did not lose the amount of weight the Princess of Wale's lost in the two weeks prior to her wedding to the Prince of Wales. Diana's gown, though lovely in the heavyweight silk taffeta especially woven for her gown due to width requirements for cutting the train and gown's skirt, was overscaled to her immense weight loss. The other thing to consider too is that the gown's style and the setting was very much on the designer's mind. The scale of St. Paul's is immense and to just show up at all, the gown had to be designed on a grander scale. Although Westminster Abbey is very large, the doorways through the church to the altar, Sarah's gown barely fit through, and in fact, her veil almost tore, having been caught on the wood on her way to Andrew.

The other thing to consider when comparing the two gowns is also the age of the bride....Diana was very young and very naive.....and so the design reflected her mindset at that time. While I loved the satin of Sarah's gown, I appreciated the design of Diana's and the reasons for the choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the floral tiara, and actually poached the idea for my wedding. I sure hope my guests were not thinking some of the comments I've read here!

I like her wedding dress very much:flowers:It is like a fairy tale wedding dress

Thank you for the lovely picture of Sarah and Andrew's wedding, Queenforthelight. I watched their royal wedding on TV and thought her wedding dress was beautiful. I heard Sarah wanted her flower headpiece on the top of her head to look like a country because she's a country girl who loved outdoor sports like horseback riding.

Yes it is a lovely picture of Sarah and Andrew's wedding, the dress was beautiful and unfortunately they are not happy ending married life. Pity to them.

Thanks,steven.Marvellous pics.I like specially the second one and the sixth, because I love this wedding dress:flowers:

Thank you for the pics, Steven.:) Sarah looks so lovely in her wedding dress. It brought a lots of memories of the royal wedding. I watched the royal wedding on TV in 1986. They would have been married for 23 years on this Thursday, July 23th.

They would. What I can't understand is, if they're so close now, then why did they divorce? If they divorced, then why did they get married in the first place?

My take on what may have caused their marriage to fail is that Sarah was unable to adapt her natural exuberance and high spirits into the decorum expected of royalty and Andrew's long absences didn't help matters either.

I read that they spent only a few weeks together each year when they were married, due to his Naval career. That's hard enough on a marriage without the whole royalty thing.

Guys, I've removed some posts. This is a thread for the 1986 wedding, not a discussion of why they should or should not remarry.

thanks,
Warren
Administrator

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom