Prince Amedeo of Belgium and Elisabetta Rosboch, 5 July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait to see Lili's wedding dress :D

Will Netherland and Luxembourg royals will attend the royal wedding as well?

I would be surprised if there were any Dutch guests. Maybe Constantijn and Laurentien as they live in Brussels and Laurentien and Astrid attended several events fo the European Cultural Fund together. But I doubt that any of them know the groom and bride well (different age group). But who knows?

It wouldn't be unlikely if there will be a few members of the Lux, Habsburg, Liechtenstein, Ligne etc. royals & nobles there though. It will be interesting to see if the head of the Habsburg family will attend, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Other interesting guests can be from the brides side: the Agnelli's/Elkann's.

Last edited:
No foreign royal guests , it is a private wedding !
The best thing is to watch VTM , Royalty on Sunday 6th of July 6 pm.

Any information on the bride's future title?

Not that I am aware of. But according to art. 113 of the Belgian constitution people married into the royal family can only get the title HRH Prince(ss) X of Belgium by a royal decree. There were royal decrees for Mathilde, Lorenz and Claire. It is unlikely that they will do that for Elisabetta, so my guess is that she will 'use' her husbands title out of courtesy, so HRH Princess Amedeo, just like Princess Alexandre (Léa Wolman) is used.

It will be interesting to see what title their children will get. With the downsizing trend at various courts I think it is unlikely that they will become HRH Princes of Belgium too, as it means that in the next generation there may be 100 people with such a title around. However, under the current law, all legal descendants of King Albert II are entitled to such a title.

----
And back to the wedding: according to VTM the service will be in the Santa Maria in Trastevere basilica.

Pictures: https://www.google.nl/search?q=Sant...Qi9Q8hcuB2Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1029&bih=668

Last edited:
Can we watch it on tv? Very interesting

I hope the Prince will wear the Order of the Golden Fleece as his Father.

Not that I am aware of. But according to art. 113 of the Belgian constitution people married into the royal family can only get the title HRH Prince(ss) X of Belgium by a royal decree. There were royal decrees for Mathilde, Lorenz and Claire. It is unlikely that they will do that for Elisabetta, so my guess is that she will 'use' her husbands title out of courtesy, so HRH Princess Amedeo, just like Princess Alexandre (Léa Wolman) is used.

It will be interesting to see what title their children will get. With the downsizing trend at various courts I think it is unlikely that they will become HRH Princes of Belgium too, as it means that in the next generation there may be 100 people with such a title around. However, under the current law, all legal descendants of King Albert II are entitled to such a title.

----
And back to the wedding: according to VTM the service will be in the Santa Maria in Trastevere basilica.

Pictures: https://www.google.nl/search?q=Sant...Qi9Q8hcuB2Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1029&bih=668

yes it'll take place there. The french-speaking show "Place Royale" showed the church and talked to the rector of the parish.
Also...it's not like Amedeo and Lili's children won't have any title if Philippe doesn't grant them the "princes of Belgium" one

Not a legal title, the Habsburg title is not recognised in Belgium (or anywhere else).

If that trend continued the extended Belgian RF would be one of the largest in the world!

I think you may be right,I think Elisabetta will be styled HIRH Princess Amedeo-Archduchess of Austria-Este.

If that trend continued the extended Belgian RF would be one of the largest in the world!

I think you may be right,I think Elisabetta will be styled HIRH Princess Amedeo-Archduchess of Austria-Este.

If Lili is styled Princess of Belgium or not is a decision that has to be taken by the new government - the one that still has to be formed. So that will take some time. ;) I too think that the RF and the government is well advised to limit the use of the title Princess of Belgium, but I could imagine that Astrid and Lorenz will lobby for the Belgium title.

In other news (credit to the great twitter account of Belgian journalist Wim Dehandschutter): the bridal gown will be by an Italian designer, probably Armani. Guillaume of Luxembourg attends the wedding, also many Liechtensteiners. Most members of the Belgian RF are already in town. King Philippe and Prince Laurent will arrive together tomorrow morning. One of Amedeo's witnesses will be a grandson of Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, another one his brother Joachim. Maria Laura will be Lili's witness. The wedding mass will be held by cardinal Danneels and a local priest.

And I'm pretty sure that Amedeo's younger cousins are less than pleased with the timing of the wedding mass. :cool: While the whole of Belgium and all of their friends watch the Red Devils playing their quarter final they have to sit through the service. And the journalists already mentioned they will watch out if smart phones will be checked to keep up with the game. :D

If Lili is styled Princess of Belgium or not is a decision that has to be taken by the new government - the one that still has to be formed. So that will take some time. ;) I too think that the RF and the government is well advised to limit the use of the title Princess of Belgium, but I could imagine that Astrid and Lorenz will lobby for the Belgium title.

There is no any decision of the Government needed. Also in Belgium the social custom says that the female spouse of a titled gentleman can be addressed with her husband's title(s).

Exactly like a Miss Smith marrying a Count t'Serclaes van Tilly becomes a Countess t'Serclaes van Tilly, a Miss Rosboch von Wolkenstein marrying a Prince of Belgium becomes a Princess of Belgium.

Look at Ms Léa Wolman whom married the late Prince Alexander of Belgium, she became Princess Léa of Belgium without any decision or interference by the Government.

There is no any decision of the Government needed. Also in Belgium the social custom says that the female spouse of a titled gentleman can be addressed with her husband's title(s).

Exactly like a Miss Smith marrying a Count t'Serclaes van Tilly becomes a Countess t'Serclaes van Tilly, a Miss Rosboch von Wolkenstein marrying a Prince of Belgium becomes a Princess of Belgium.

Look at Ms Léa Wolman whom married the late Prince Alexander of Belgium, she became Princess Léa of Belgium without any decision or interference by the Government.

True. But there are the recent precedents making Mathilde and Claire Princesses in their own right. And it also has to be decided if Amedeo and Lili's future children are to be included in the line of throne. So the government will be involved anyway.

True. But there are the recent precedents making Mathilde and Claire Princesses in their own right. And it also has to be decided if Amedeo and Lili's future children are to be included in the line of throne. So the government will be involved anyway.

but Mathilde married the heir and Claire married the son of the King. Amedeo is nowhere close to the throne.

but Mathilde married the heir and Claire married the son of the King. Amedeo is nowhere close to the throne.
You can see it this way. But when Claire married Laurent in 2003 he was already nowhere near the throne too. ;) At that time Laurent was nr. 8 in line of throne while Amedeo was nr. 4. Now Laurent is on 11 an Amedeo on 6. Several Belgian journalists mentioned that the new government will be involved. So I guess they checked this information.

Thanks for your pictures Stephanie.
To morrow Elisabetha wil be H I & R Highness Archduchess of Habsbourg-Este.
As we have no Government yet , there is no decision if she will be Princess of Belgium.

The Royal Decree is not granting Claire or Mathilde a title in their own right but is meant as a confirmation of the existing tradition. The formulating Voulant donner un témoignage public de Notre haute bienveillance à Mademoiselle Claire Coombs (Wanting to show a public sign of Our high well-willingness towards Miss Claire Coombs) followed by Mademoiselle Coombs sera qualifiée Princesse de Belgique à la suite des noms qui lui sont propres (Miss Coombs is qualified "Princess of Belgium", following on her own names).

Look at the difference in wording with Máxima:

"Starting from the marriage with His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander Claus Georg Ferdinand, The Prince of Orange, with Ms Máxima Zorreguieta, to Her are granted the titles "Princess of the Netherlands" and "Princess of Orange-Nassau" with the predicate "Royal Highness" followed by regulations about the names, titles and predicate to be born by children from this marriage.

This was followed with another two Royal Decrees in which a personal coat-of-arms and a personal distinction standard (flag) were granted to the new Princess of the Netherlands and a similar one for the children from the said marriage, whom were granted their own coat-of-arms too.

Last edited:
Let's hope that we will get some good pictures tomorrow. It is a private wedding, but I hope that they'll at least post for photographers when leaving the church.

I so much hope that Elisabetta will wear a tiara. It is not known whether there's one in her family, but his family certainly owns some. My favourite would be the Savoy-Aosta tiara of Princess Astrid, but of Amadeo's grandmothers own another one.

You can see it this way. But when Claire married Laurent in 2003 he was already nowhere near the throne too. ;) At that time Laurent was nr. 8 in line of throne while Amedeo was nr. 4. Now Laurent is on 11 an Amedeo on 6. Several Belgian journalists mentioned that the new government will be involved. So I guess they checked this information.
But Laurent was a son of the King, which is much closer than nephew of the King.

Traditionally, the titles would be only passed on through male descendants or a female heir. But that seems to have changed now that they have changed the succession to equal primogeniture. They might grant Royal titles to all future descendants of Albert II with no restriction (which I find unlikely), or they might restrict it, eg. to grandchildren of the sovereign.

My guess is, that Elisabetta will be handled in the same way as Claire, but their children might be just Arch Dukes of Austria. Time will show.

Prince Radu of Romania has given up some information about the wedding - Prince Nicholas of Romania is attending and the dinner is at Villa Medici in Rome.

Noblesseetroyautes.com says that it will take place at at 17:30 in the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere and Italy recognizes religious weddings as civil too, so no seperate civil ceremony.

Nicolas de Roumanie au mariage d’Amedeo de Belgique

They will work in Belgium and already bought their house.
As his Father He may work as Duc de Bar.

Last edited:

that's not what I meant, and you know it. Amedeo is the grandson of the former King and nephew to the King. Laurent is the son of the former King and brother to the King. Closer to the throne. Claire & Mathilde are the first tier, whereas Amedeo is, at best, second tier.

But can this decision not made by the goverment who is still in power despite the recent elections.

Back
Top Bottom