Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko: 29 June 1990

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko

With all the intense media attention on this couple, I just wondered if anyone has any pictures of their wedding and what Princess was doing before her marriage into the Imperial Family? :)

Quoting from answers.com:

"Kawashima Kiko was born in Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan on 11 September 1966. She is the only daughter and elder child of Kawashima Tatsuhiko, professor of economics at Gakushuin University, and his wife, Kazuko. She spent her preschool days in the United States when her father taught at the University of Pennsylvania and attended primary school in Vienna, Austria, when her father taught there. The future princess became fluent in English and German. She received her undergraduate degree from the Department of Psychology in the Faculty of Letters of Gakushuin University in 1989. She subsequently began graduate study in psychology at Gakushuin and completed the first part of the doctorate in 1995.

Marriage

Prince Fumihito first proposed marriage to Kawashima Kiko on 26 June 1986, while they were both undergraduates at Gakushuin. The couple, however, did not announce their intent to marry for three years. The engagement received the formal sanction of the ten-member Imperial Household Council on 12 September 1989. The wedding took place at the Imperial Palace on 29 June 1990. The Imperial Household Economy Council had previous granted the prince permission to establish a new branch of the imperial family and the Emperor granted him the title Akishino no miya (Prince Akishino) on his wedding day. Upon marriage, his bride became Her Imperial Highness Princess Akishino, known informally as Princess Kiko.
The engagement and marriage of Prince Akishino to the former Kawashima Kiko broke precedent in several respects. First, at the time, the groom was still a graduate student at Gakushuin and married before his older brother, Crown Prince Naruhito. Second, the princess was the first woman from a middle-class background to marry into the imperial family. Although Empress Michiko was a commoner, she was from a very wealthy family; her father was the president of a large flour-milling company. Finally, the engagement and marriage was widely reported to be a love match. The empress, though of common blood, was one of the candidates recommended to the imperial family by several prestigious women's universities."

she looks stunnin but I thought you arent allowed to show ur shoulders?

Thks for the pictures. She looked beautiful.

Poppy said:
Originally posted by jun5

5. Wedding day, 1990.

This was not an official photo. The photographer who took this picture was sacked by his employer. The employer also made a formal apology to the Imperial House Agency. However, the Japanese loved this picture. It was thought as a very romantic picture.
As I remember, the reason (as I read in news) for appologised was because of this photo is showing too much "intimacy interaction" which is not appropriate for royal couple to show in public.

Miss Kiko in the twelve-layered traditional court gown.

I may be miscounting, but it doesn't look like twelve layers. The juni hitoe has consisted of five layers for a long time now, even though the name still means "twelve layers."

Photos of the limo used on the wedding day
from Backyard builder Annex

Those 12 layered robes are the most beautiful clothing anywhere in the world that I've ever seen. No exaggeration.

Considering how heavy each layer is, it's impressive that she can stand up! Although these days it's only five layers, not twelve.

Asian Culture is so fascinating.

Last edited:
I've heard that it can weigh up to 40 pounds. I don't know how much that is in the metric system. They're also expensive. I've heard of prices up to 150,000 dollars (American money).

Her wedding gown is actually the 12 layered court dress, that is what she wore during the ceremony. The white western gown is what she wore when being presented to the Emperor at the Palace after the wedding.

Back
Top Bottom