HRH Alfonso Duke of Cadiz and María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco: 8 March 1972

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alfonso, Duke of Cadiz and María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco - 1972

On March 1972 the grand daughter of Spanish dictator Franco, Maria del Carmen Martinez-Bordiu y Franco married the Alfonso de Borbon, Duke of Cadiz at the royal chappel of the El Pardo in Mardrid.

Some pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Woh!!!! What a nice couple. The groom was very handsome!!! and the wedding dress woderfull!!!

Were ever whispers about the political implications of this marriage? The bride was significantly younger than the groom, and they did eventually get divorced, I sense that while maybe the marriage was not arranged, it was certainly a calculated step on both parties. Even though Franco had already designated Juan Carlos as successor, Alfonso could have hoped marriage to Franco's granddaughter would give him a shot at the throne (even though he was the product of an unsanctioned marriage), especially since he was the senior line of the Bourbon family. And Carmen has been known to relish in the royal spotlight.
Prince Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma (err, his parents definitely) was said to have married Irene partly because of status as a reigning princess. On Irene's part, rumors were that she wanted to be a queen but she was second-born, and Carlos was a Carlist claimant to the Spanish throne. Juan Carlos was said to have given up Maria Gabriella of Savoy because Franco wanted him to marrying reigning royalty.

Thanks for the pictures. The couple were a beautiful pair. Interesting information Empressrouge. The bride's wedding tiara is magnificent, what is it's history? Thank you.

Was Carmen's wedding dress the last one of Balanciaga ?
Was the tiara a Franco's present ? I never saw this tiara anymore. Certainly sold.

Was Carmen's wedding dress the last one of Balanciaga ?
Was the tiara a Franco's present ? I never saw this tiara anymore. Certainly sold.
This was the last wedding dress Balenciaga did,but she was not pregnant when she married the handsome duke of Cadiz
Your photos are great,Steven.Thanks for posting

Indeed, the couple married on March 8th and ther first son was born on November 22th , which makes 8 1/2 months. So it is safe to assume that a pregnancy was not the issue when the two got married :flowers:.

Thanks for the link.There are many photos.The tiara of the bride is really beautiful

Carmen Martínez-Bordiú, the woman who could have became in Queen of Spain

Do you know her? She married with Alfonso of Borbon and Dampierre of France in 1971. She was very elegant and female, her style has always been very "chic" and - despite now she´s different than in the 70´s- her life is like for a film.:yorkrose:

Hope share nice pics from her soon!

X

:fleurdelis:

You will be very disappointed with the pictures of ther third wedding!

She wore a white dress at her third marriage??? :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Yes ,because it was a religious wedding and the first wedding to her husband Jose Campos

Thanks! I thought the wedding was only civil, since she has divorced from her second husband; but I had forgotten that her second marriage was only civil, and never recognised by the Church.

However white remains an awful choice!
What is known about her second and third husbands?
And about her political ideas?
How the family reacted to the many divorces of Carmen and of some of her siblings?

I know that her son Luis Alfonso refused to attend her third wedding; surely because he was very fond of Carmen's second husband, but I don't know if this was the only reason.

No,Luis Alfonso never accepted the second husband ,Jean Marie Rossi, of his mother ,as it was the cause of the break of the marriage between his parents......He did not accept Jose Campos ,at the beguinning,because he is 15 years younger than his mom and he is suspicious of this marriage.....

Was the Duke killed in a skiing accident or am I wrong and thinking of another person? This was such a beautiful couple and wedding.:flowers:

Was the Duke killed in a skiing accident or am I wrong and thinking of another person? This was such a beautiful couple and wedding.:flowers:

He was indeed killed in a skiing accident in 1989. In fact, he had had another accident driving back from a skiing trip with his sons. His oldest son, Francisco, died in that accident.

Juan Carlos was said to have given up Maria Gabriella of Savoy because Franco wanted him to marrying reigning royalty.

whats so ironic, is the fact that although the prince married a princess of a reigning royal family (sophie of greece), within a few years the greek royal family was disposed by the will of the greek people......just like the italian royalty was many years before ! ;)

the match was a controversial in first place because the wedding invitations adress the princes HRH prince of bourbon where there's no such thing in spain its prince of austurias or infante or (prince of spain in case of juan carlos before become king) also prince juan carlos advisor was terrified he taught that juan carlos would died in a mysterious car accident ans the throne would left for alfonso.other problems were
  • infante jaime duke of segovia even though had formally renounce his rights to the throne before his marriage to emanuelle de dampierre he took back his renunciation 1949 and 1963 title himself duke of madrid as head of the carlist untill formally renounce in 1969 to juan carlos by petition of alfonso
  • franco had mention alfonso in case juan carlos would not meet his requirement and even arrange for them to sit near each other many times on occasions
  • carmen was treated as princess her grandmother insist they bow before her and serve her before herself who was the first lady
  • alfonso ambition to be second in line to the throne and the title prince of bourbon was a debate and in the end juan carlos persuade for his father to let franco give alfonso title duke of cardiz as use in royal dynast like by his great great grandfather and the style of HRH

I don't know why this woman took part in the spanish version of Dancing with the stars, worst idea she had in her life imo :lol:

Back
Top Bottom