HGD Jean of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium: April 9, 1953

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannelore

Heir Presumptive
City
Bruges
Country
Belgium
On April 9th 1953, prince Jean of Luxemburg (32) got married to princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium (25).

The wedding took place in Luxemburg.I think JC wore a lovely dress.

Photos from Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5,419
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5,072
Last edited by a moderator:
Waving from the balcony and coming out of the cathedral.
Josephine-Charlotte's half-bother Alexander carries her train.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4,180
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 3,759
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4,269
Official wedding portraits and engagement photos

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 3,388
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,128
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,484
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,148
The pictures are very nice. I love her gown and she is pretty. In some of the pictures she doesn't seem to look too happy but she is smiling in the balcony picture and the official pictures. :flower:

Originally posted by mgrant@Apr 13th, 2004 - 1:28 pm
In some of the pictures she doesn't seem to look too happy but she is smiling in the balcony picture and the official pictures. :flower:
If I remember correctly --if not vaguely! ;) -- the story is that Josephine was not happy about the wedding. I recall reading that Josephine cried on her wedding day because she was in love with someone else and was "forced" to marry Jean?

Maybe someone not so vague as me can further add to this story or just tell me that I am off my rocker! :rolleyes:

At the arm of her father, king Leopold III

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4,104
Alexandria said:
If I remember correctly --if not vaguely! ;) -- the story is that Josephine was not happy about the wedding. I recall reading that Josephine cried on her wedding day because she was in love with someone else and was "forced" to marry Jean?

Maybe someone not so vague as me can further add to this story or just tell me that I am off my rocker! :rolleyes:

Yes, it was an arranged marrige, but it was Jean who was in love with someone else.

It was more or less arranged between Josephine-Charlotte's grandmother and Jean's mother. But it was not as if they were 'forced' into this marriage. Jean and JC already knew each other very well.
Whatever happened exactly, it's a very happy marriage. It was from the start.

I heard that J-C was in love with a Belgian tennis player. Had anyone else heard that?

More pics...

Attachments

• 70_02_10.jpg
    70_02_10.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,428
  • 70_02_15.jpg
    70_02_15.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3,987
  • 70_02_75.jpg
    70_02_75.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,670
  • 70_07_95.jpg
    70_07_95.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 3,841
  • anp20040726195652001.jpg
    anp20040726195652001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 7,155
Last edited:
Here's a close up of JC & Jean.

Attachments

• 1953-04-08 Jean & JC.jpg
    1953-04-08 Jean & JC.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 5,251
Hannelore said:
It was more or less arranged between Josephine-Charlotte's grandmother and Jean's mother. But it was not as if they were 'forced' into this marriage. Jean and JC already knew each other very well.
Whatever happened exactly, it's a very happy marriage. It was from the start.
Many arranged royal marriages became happy marriage after time, children, etc and became at least fond and respectful of each other and their duties. But there are marriages that ended horribly (e.g. Marie Jose of Belgium and Umberto II of Italy). Others started began as love matches and turned sour (Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg and Alfonso XIII of Spain). Love matches that end "happily ever after" exist but are rare.

Does anyone have photoes of JC's wedding gown on display? I think her gown realy lovely. The wedding gowns of her two daughters are quite like hers.

yeah they are lovely! :wub:
It would be interesting to see her dress, dress of her daughters and of daughters-in-law.
The wedding gowns of her two daughters are quite like hers.
Especially Margaretha's dress are very similar especially in collar :flowers: ;)

ViewImages.com - Home

1953 Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg and Princess Josephine Charlotte of Belgium

3268413.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~sbishop100/

Her wedding dress was amazing! Truly stunning.

Her dress is very pretty. And it's nice to hear of an arranged marriage that ended up being happy and satisfactory for both parties.

The more I look at pictures of this gown, the more I appreciate it. I find it has a feel of romance, of femininity, of innocence, of understated glamour.

It was a sad wedding , I remember quite well .
The Grand Duchess Charlotte asked that in the Church HM Leopold III should stand next to HM Queen Elisabeth, his mother.
Princess Josephine Charlotte wore "‘ verres de contact*» and as she cried during the wedding she was as blind, therefore you may se how difficult it was for her walking our of the after her wedding.
Afterwards things were better, she wore her second tiara she received from the Belgians for the official portrait of the new Hereditary Grand Duchess.

Last edited:
The grand Duchess wore the Congo Bracelet as tiara and wore the Congo necklace.
Her daughters and MT wore the same bracelet as tiara.
It is often written thet she wore her necklace as tiara which is not correct.

I was wrong :
The Congo necklace as tiara and the bracelet as part of her necklace.
What a sad Wedding.

Hereditary Grand Duke Jean and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium 1953

It’s King Leopold with the groom’s mother Grand Duchess Charlotte.

Back
Top Bottom