HGD Henri of Luxembourg and María Teresa Mestre y Batista: February 14, 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They truly were a fantastically attractive Royal couple.

And visibly crazy for one another!?

I did not remember if Grand Duchess Charlotte did attend te religious Wedding ?

I hate to be cynical, but I would be surprised if Maria Teresa were emulating her mother-in-law, especially given that Josephine-Charlotte was so unsupportive of her. As you may recall, before her marriage Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium had been deeply in love with a commoner, but she was forced by her father to marry Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. Perhaps in part because she was obliged to make this sacrifice (and if you look at her wedding pictures, you'll see that J-C seemed absent, almost zombie-like), she insisted that her children must make equal marriages. Her attitude seems to have been: "If I had to do it, then you have to do it also."

Josephine-Charlotte would likely have disapproved if the heir to the Grand Duchy -- her dear son Henri -- had married a mere aristocrat (say, a countess) who was not a member of a royal family. So she could certainly not abide his marriage to a commoner... of Latin American descent, no less. Reportedly she was truly unkind to Maria Teresa.
It has actually been said that it was not Josephine-Charlotte, but rather Grand Duchess Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean who weren’t pleased with the match. Where is the credibility that Josephine-Charlotte was a forced to marry the Grand Duke? Are you sure that she insisted on equal marriages? Considering that Prince Guillame, her youngest son married Sibylla who was only of Royal and aristocratic descent through her mother bar her father, I’m not sure about that.

From that photo
The Queen of Denmark and Danish Prince Consort
The King and Queen of the Belgians
The Prince and Princess of Lichtenstein
The Prince and Princess of Monaco
The Prince and Princess of Liege (Albert & Paola)
Prince Philippe (now King of Belgium)
The Infanta Margarita of Spain and the Duke of Soria

Back
Top Bottom