HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She had begun to walk better in the past few days, but after the tiring wedding, with the heavy train, she started to walk in that clumpy way. I believe that when she's tired she just walks that way to keep balance on those very high heels. If she wore lower heels she would not need to walk this way to retain balance. If a person is going to set up a handicap like a heavy long train, she will compensate in her walking, that is, if she is sensible like Stephanie. I don't like "trains" on dresses, especially heavy long ones.

I believe that when she's tired she just walks that way to keep balance on those very high heels. If she wore lower heels she would not need to walk this way to retain balance.
Do we know that she was wearing high-heeled shoes beneath the wedding dress? I haven't seen any pictures of what shoes she was wearing.

It has been a real pleasure to me to see, so far, a few photos and a short video of this wedding-day. "Belle Epoque" were the words that came to mind, seeing the lovely bride's gown and the bride's attendants; I loved the blue on the child attendants, put me in mind of Gainsborough's Blue Boy. Very pretty colour.
My respectful and sincere good wishes to the happy couple.

You guys are probably right, she was very tired from the heels and the dress. I can not blame her for that. I was just surprised is all. Other than that she was a lovely bride and congratulations to the lovely couple. :)

Such a beautiful couple. I thought that the dress really suited her and she looked fantastic.

I suspect that the women who wore these very short skirts are airheads.

An hilarious assumption, seeing as the majority of people wore skirts of coats above the knee, even some royals. Just because you pick a dress that sits above your knee does not make you stupid, the girls in that first picture look beautiful.

I like the Stephanies' dress, it has wow factor to me.

Do we know if Felix girlfriend Claire attended?

I also liked how they said their vows. Only the sentences with the names in were said seperately, the rest they said together.

Stephanie's dress is simply stunning. The shape is beautiful and it's nicely executed. The embroidery is exceptional. At first I thought there was too much embroidery but now it doesn't seem to bother me. It's a gorgeous dress. Maybe the only negative point is the fact that the train was too heavy which made Stephanie walk weirdly. Her walking is usually quite unbalanced already so the fact that the train was so long impeded her from walking graciously. I wonder why elie saab didn't offer some suggestions on that.

Maria teresa's dress choice is questionable. That colour is perhaps the most inelegant and doesnt suit her morphology at all.

I like maxima. She carries off that hat wonderfully. I'm glad she chose bolder colors. Mary also did a nice choice with bold colors unlike letizia who chose those boring pastels again.

The couple is just great though. They make an excellent Duo. Maria Teresa looks over the moon with Stephanie. I loved how she held her hand and kissed her in the balcony. You can just feel the complicity!

After finally watching the entire ceremony(thank you You Tube, RTL was impossible)
there were so many things about it that really just stood out.
First of all, the archbishop was so sincere, kindly and really seemed to know and comfort the couple. THAT is unusual.
Mostly, the heavy, heavy weight of grief carried by the Lannoy family, I believe they are still in shock, disbelief.Sudden, unexpected death can be much harder.
Also, the number of very frail, elderly relatives attending. Namely, AD Jean, Stepanies father, and Q Fabiola.
The latter factors contribute to a weight the couple was bearing. Their joy and strength and familial support triumph!

I like the dress more and more. I only wish she had not wore Saab the night before, it was too much, but the wedding dress is a piece if art.

Also, the number of very frail, elderly relatives attending. Namely, AD Jean, Stepanies father, and Q Fabiola.
There was another older lady sitting with Jean and Fabiola, do anyone know who she is, could it be Alix, dowager princess of Ligne, the sister of Jean?

Whoops, totally forgot this was happening!

The wedding, from what I've seen, seemed lovely and relaxed. Everyone seemed happy and there was none of that over the top, schmaltzy crying or unnecessary PDA.

The dress is pretty nice, but for me Ellie Saab just makes the same dress over and over in a range of different colours. Blair Waldorf gets married, apparently, in a similar dress created by Saab in a powdery blue. The dresses are inoffensive, but incredibly samey.

Glad to see the Luxembourg royals decided not to follow in the footsteps of certain other royals and chose not to allow any multinational companies to sponsor aspects of the day. Using the old Daimler is so much classier than a brand new one ostentatiously sponsored by a car company.

Not fussed on the colours worn by the bridesmaids or the flowergirls etc. All in all, everyone looked good apart from Princess Maxima.

I'm not Catholic, so it's probably just something I don't get, but that statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus in the cathedral was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Dressing them in real clothes made it look really freaky.

Last edited:
Is there any pictures HGD Stephanie courtseys GD Henri and Maria Theresa?

The older bridesmaids: it is a sign of true love when you will wear something like these pale peach frocks for your bride. Just look at those two in the background. Wrinkled, lumpy and wan (I am referring to the gowns BTW).
http://www.wort.lu/img/040216dd0c1e.../67581ded0a2c5a618d308c6b8bd122bc16b45f87.jpg

And as to the little attendants. My gosh, yes they were cute. And they will be able to wear their outfits again for Halloween.

Yes, the colors were unfortunate.
But they are the colors of the Luxembourg flag, so...better to have the clothes be patriotic rather than becoming?

But it is hard on the older girls.

(I'd have put everyone in the blue and just used a touch of the orange in the flowers).

Last edited:
Perhaps the color for the bridesmaids couldn't be helped, but there's puckering on the seams! That's just sloppy craftsmanship. And I'm convinced they could've found a better cut for Princess Alexandra, the poor dear.

I'm not Catholic, so it's probably just something I don't get, but that statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus in the cathedral was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Dressing them in real clothes made it look really freaky.

EIIR: You made me smile - this is a very Catholic thing that I had not thought about for years. We had these statues in our house when I was a child and would change their outfits with the seasons. I wonder where all that went?

There was another older lady sitting with Jean and Fabiola, do anyone know who she is, could it be Alix, dowager princess of Ligne, the sister of Jean?
I noticed her too but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to identify her.
The young children seemed remarkably well behaved

EIIR: You made me smile - this is a very Catholic thing that I had not thought about for years. We had these statues in our house when I was a child and would change their outfits with the seasons. I wonder where all that went?

Probably eliminated by Vatican II, along with most of the wonderful old traditions.

I think I'm going to be seeing that statue in my nightmares for a while. I get that it has religious significance, but it's just so unutterably ugly.

In fairness, I'm Presbyterian and we don't have any statues whatsoever in my church. A fairly simple stained glass window is as far as we go.

:previous: Great shot! Frederik looks very distinguished in his uniform :wub:.

Back
Top Bottom