HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't able to watch the ceremony but it seems like it was lovely from the pictures. The bride's dress was beautiful, although I didn't really care for the way they arranged the veil and tiara.

I thought the majority of the royal guests looked great - standouts for me were Mary and Letizia. The only one I thought missed the mark was Mette Marit. The men always look good in their uniforms, although I was surprised by how old Felipe of Spain is looking, (possibly stress?)

Where are HGD Stephanie's family on this picture? I don't see anyone except royals.

Her father is in the picture, this was probably just a 'royal' picture. There may be others released with family, the couple on their own, with parents, with bridesmaids etc.

I was able to finally watch the wedding, but only via the live stream provided by RTL.be, the other live stream sites were not working in my area [NYC].

That said, allow me to give you my impression of the wedding. I was extremely impressed. It was restrained [never ostentatious or showy], but at the same time elegant and not lacking in pomp. I was very impressed with the precision of the wedding. Each crown head would arrive at the cathedral in their own limousine. He or she would disembark, wave to the crowd and stand for pictures before proceeding into the church, then like clock work about 60 seconds later another limousine would arrive with another crown head who would go through the same steps. Grand Duke Henri arrived [and a live band started playing the National Anthem]. He arrived with a maternal aunt of Stephanie [standing in place of the deceased mother]. I thought that it was great how they arranged to put this aunt in the place of the mother. Then Maria Teresa [who looked beautiful in a red ensemble] arrived with the groom to the delights of the crowd. Finally, Countess Stephanie arrived with her eldest brother [Stephanie's 91 year old father is too fragile to walk, so he waited inside the cathedral]. Inside the church, 1400 guests were already seated. The church was decorated with little white flowers [I don't know what kind], and there were live orchestras and choruses all over. On a side note, I was fascinated by the austerity of Luxembourg Cathedral. Despite Lux being a catholic country, the inside of the church was more Protestant than anything else. It didn't have all of the saints and crucifixes that one often sees in Catholic churches.

The services were at times in Lëtzebuergesch, at other times in French and even some English was spoken. For instance, Prince Felix spoke a few words in English. The wedding went without a hitch. Not one mistake. The flower children looked beautiful, dressed in blue and orange. The commentator said something [my French is not that good] about the shade of the orange of Luxembourg being slightly different than the shade of the orange of the Netherlands. Anyway, Guillaume's oldest nephew was one of the children. I presume that the others were from the Lannoy side.

As for Stephanie, she looked radiant. The commentators mentioned how long her train was. And it was long.

All it all, it was in my opinion a beautiful and successful wedding. The people of Luxembourg have a lot to be proud of! They were well represented by their monarchs! What a class act!

Last edited:
Being insulting adds absolutely nothing to this thread.

MT looked horrible and the outfit made her look twice as big as she is. It's not harsh to express an opinion in whichever way the person sees fit.

MT looked horrible and the outfit made her look twice as big as she is. It's not harsh to express an opinion in whichever way the person sees fit.
One can express an opinion without being such vitriolic. I know it's kind of a sport over there...

over there...

Over where exactly? If you mean the UK, this discussion could get a lot worse. :lol:

I say again, everyone can express their opinion how they like.

I cried when I saw her great her father. Very emotional and beautiful.

The service was well done. The bride was absolutely exquisite. A beautiful dress and she looked great in it. The part with her father was so touching. What emotions she must be feeling on this day. As she goes off into a new direction in her life, she must be thinking about her mother as well. So sad. It was a real tearjerker for sure. I was able to watch it online which was nice. I did do a couple of caps from the live feed. I edited them a little:

http://img125.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=746856147_Steph1_122_592lo.jpg

http://img284.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=746857831_Steph2_122_170lo.jpg

http://img245.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=746859721_Lux_122_233lo.jpg

Over where exactly? If you mean the UK, this discussion could get a lot worse. :lol:

I say again, everyone can express their opinion how they liked.

Oh i agree with you...
Everyone can express an opinion but to compare the Grande Duchesse with some kind of sausage is not the most elegant thing to do ...(imho of course)

It was a lovely event. I liked the bride and groom who were wonderfully regal. I even thought most of the guests made a good stab at their event wear today. That said I have two comments.

The older bridesmaids: it is a sign of true love when you will wear something like these pale peach frocks for your bride. Just look at those two in the background. Wrinkled, lumpy and wan (I am referring to the gowns BTW).
http://www.wort.lu/img/040216dd0c1e.../67581ded0a2c5a618d308c6b8bd122bc16b45f87.jpg

And as to the little attendants. My gosh, yes they were cute. And they will be able to wear their outfits again for Halloween.

What language was the wedding officiated in? French?

Thanks Lumutqueen:)
I'll definitely watch it if there's some parts in English.

I just was able to see the car that brought the bride all decorated, outlined in flowers! Have never seen anything like that before.
From what video I have been able to see, the ceremony was beautifully done. From the Aunt with/Grand Duke, to lovely attendants costumes reflecting the country's history and culture, to the very touching moments remembering the brides mother. Her moments with her father were also very touching.

I still can't quite get over how ugly Princess Alexandra's bridesmaids dress was! The colour isn't great but besides that why couldn't she have had the same flattering cut as Antonia Hamilton!

is luxembourgish similiar to dutch??? because there was a couple of times that music was playing with luxembourgish language chorus and i saw Maxima and Queen Beatrix sing along.

when french was used, many royals looked like they had more attention, no wonder, because Queen Margareth, Prince Henrik, Prince Frederik, Belgium Royals all speak french. but i also saw Prince Felipe singing french, i think he speaks that language as well. i think Princess Lalla Salma does too.

What language was the wedding officiated in? French?

Mainly French, but the wedding vows and the majority of the homily were in Luxembourish. There were few parts in English too and the prayers of the faithful were a mix of languages, they used Dutch and Portuguese too.
They sang the Lord's prayer in Latin too

I still can't quite get over how ugly Princess Alexandra's bridesmaids dress was! The colour isn't great but besides that why couldn't she have had the same flattering cut as Antonia Hamilton!

maybe they did it cause she has a softer shape and she wouldn't have looked good in it

Last edited by a moderator:
is luxembourgish similiar to dutch??? because there was a couple of times that music was playing with luxembourgish language chorus and i saw Maxima and Queen Beatrix sing along

related languages but not that similar that you can automatically understand everything..
as for singing along, a lot of the music was not specifically from Luxemburg, so they could be singing along in another language...(french, dutch, english etc)

Because Felix of Bourbon-Parma married Charlotte the Grand -Duchess of Luxemburg -the great-grandmother of Guillaume. Felix was a brother of Empress Zita of Austria. Try wikipedia under FELIX OF BOURBON-PARMA.

I got it now, much appreciated! :flowers:

BTW, I think Stephanie has a lovely voice and general aura, too!

Very nice group photo! It's funny that only CP Frederik of Denmark is looking at the wrong direction. :D If only the siblings of the groom hadn't been pushed back! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen any pictures of Guillaume's cousins?

Apparently Lady Brabourne and Alexandra Knatchbull attended todays festivities in Luxembourg. Anyone seen any pictures?

Thanks for all the comments, missed the wedding today, real life busy. :)

That said, from all the pictures this is the one wedding (if I had to choose) I wished I had attended ~ small intimate affair ~ both devout serious Catholics. All appeal to me.

And Stephanie's wedding dress did not disappoint, nor did she, a true princess/royal/noblewoman of the blood. The antique lace made me want to cry, and her skin is the best I've ever seen, the glow, the health, the color, the luminescence, exquisite, totally exquisite.

And I'm so glad Stephanie was an original, as was Princess Diana. Diana's wedding dress will forever remain my favorite, with Stephanie's second. Neither reminds me of anyone else's, to me the true meaning of an original.

Kudos all around, the decor, the guests, the ceremony, the setting, et al. Lovely lovely...

ps: so happy to see Prince Amedeo of Belgium there, just wish Caroline would have brought her daughter. *wink, wink* ;) one can dream.

God bless them both for a long and happy marriage. OMG! STUNNING STUNNING STUNNING! CHIC CHIC CHIC! From the dress, to the tiara, the hair, the veil, train, the guests' outfits, the look inside the church, all of it. CHIC! Her dress has now moved up to my top 3 favorite ever royal wedding dresses. I am in love with all of it.

Back
Top Bottom