HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say again, everyone can express their opinion how they like.

To a degree. There's a difference between stating an opinion and taking cheap shots. Expressing an opinion with tact and a degree of restraint never hurt anyone.

If only the siblings of the groom hadn't been pushed back! ;)

Yes I agree. I was a little surprised by that.

I still can't quite get over how ugly Princess Alexandra's bridesmaids dress was! The colour isn't great but besides that why couldn't she have had the same flattering cut as Antonia Hamilton!

Last night I thought some comments here on the dress of Alexandra at gala dinner were too tough, but indeed her bridesmaid dress today was disastrous! unsuitable for her size and weight.

Prince Felix speaking English without an accent impressed me greatly. I know he has been a lot in English speaking countries, but to speak with NO accent is an achievement. I was an English teacher with many foreign students, and very few spoke without accents.
I was told by my Greek friends at Stanford that I spoke Greek without an accent, which they had never heard before from an English-speaker (those days long gone).

I was also impressed with the austerity of the cathdral. Few statues, just the Virgin Mary over the altar. They had removed the big crucifix which is usually present. It was nice to see Catholic and Protestant royals singing together. The fact that these people are linguists (the Luxembourgish) is very impressive to me.

I just finished watching the wedding on You Tube whic had it broken into 10 segments. Wonderful and warm ceremony. However, I am surprised that so many people sitting in the front of the church felt a need to take pictures of the couple processing down the aisle on their iPhones. Anyone else surprised?

not at all actually. In Italy we do it all
the time, and we do it right after the end of the exchanging of the
vows, when the priest declare that the bride and the groom are husband and wife. !!!

Thanks for clearing that up! I hope you will understand that the
applause is unusual for us who are used to e.g. prostestant weddings!

And I can tell you that this was a
"nice" mass, pretty quick actually and enjoyable. I can understand that
for those who are not Catholic can be quite tough, especially because they probably don't get many of the things that happen during the mass, or why we do them. But I think MT and the spouses (I'm sure they arranged the wedding together LOL) did a great joy to make sure the whole ceremony was flowing and not at all boring.

Fo a non-RC like me the service was a tad on the long side :); I
noticed the many musical pieces/interludes -beautiful, most of them,
but I take it was there in order to separate the various liturgical links.
Nevertheless, what I liked about the service was that it generated
a solemn, but warm, inclusive atmosphere, without being
'touchy -feely romantic' in a gaudy way! I also liked the sharing of
the Holy Communion! It makes good sense at a wedding, but
unfortunately you rarely see it at protestant weddings.

At the bottomline:
:flowers: this wedding was a great experience! Congratulations to the happy couple and to Luxembourg:flowers:!

viv

I am surprised that so many people sitting in the front of the church felt a need to take pictures of the couple processing down the aisle on their iPhones. Anyone else surprised?

Erm.. yes!

viv

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume the bride chose the bride maids dresses and they wore what she wanted. Unfortunately, the bride made a bad choice they weren't great.

I just finished watching the wedding on You Tube whic had it broken into 10 segments. Wonderful and warm ceremony. However, I am surprised that so many people sitting in the front of the church felt a need to take pictures of the couple processing down the aisle on their iPhones. Anyone else surprised?

I saw some people do the same thing at Victoria and Daniel's wedding as Victoria was walking down the aisle. I though that was unusual.

Nico said:
Thought the same thing... the DM is obsessed by the taxpayers money, even the non british one...

DM knows how to put a damper on a happy occasion.

AdmirerUS said:
It was a lovely event. I liked the bride and groom who were wonderfully regal. I even thought most of the guests made a good stab at their event wear today. That said I have two comments.

The older bridesmaids: it is a sign of true love when you will wear something like these pale peach frocks for your bride. Just look at those two in the background. Wrinkled, lumpy and wan (I am referring to the gowns BTW).
http://www.wort.lu/img/040216dd0c1e320f7b1d728d824095b4/560/360/0/256/724/721/75/67581ded0a2c5a618d308c6b8bd122bc16b45f87.jpg

And as to the little attendants. My gosh, yes they were cute. And they will be able to wear their outfits again for Halloween.

The peach-colored dresses were quite bad, especially Alexandra's. the children looked very sweet in period attire, and I loved the shade of blue of the dresses. The couple were regal indeed. It was a pleasure to observe them.

Over where exactly? If you mean the UK, this discussion could get a lot worse. :lol:

I say again, everyone can express their opinion how they like.

To that quote I would say a rousing NO. Particpating in an on-line discussion is not different from discussing in person or over the phone with collegues, friends, family or just plain strangers. There is a decorum for interacting. It does in most socio-economic groups around the world mean that disagreements are not lowered to the level some of these posts here are. Some choose to express their opinions in trash talk. That is no different than sitting at a nice dinnertable and someone choses to do away with all resemblance of table or peronal manners. Although I understand the moderators seem completely fine with it is clear the majority of posters have wonderful and polite way of expressing both agreements and disagreement, no matter how strongly felt.

Thanks to Lux-arazzi Luxembourg I was able to find this site with hundreds of photos of guests, even the ones I hadn't seen still. Unfortunately there are no captions so I will post the link of the guests I recognized, you guys scroll down the pictures and do the same with the ones you recognize ;)

- counts Rodolphe and Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum; archduke Cristophe of Austria and fiancee Adelaide Drape-Frisch pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=471&_c=9
- Prince Napoleon with princess Alix de Ligne; Princesses Maria Anunciata and Maria Astrid of Liechtenstein; Prince Josef of Liechtenstein; Prince Constantin de Nassau pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=473&_c=9
-Prince Wenceslas de Nassau; Archduke Imre of Austria and wife; Archduke Alexander of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=474&_c=9
-Archdukes Alexander and Marie Gabrielle of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=470&_c=9
-Princess Xenia Galitizine with husband Albert Matta and with Claire Lademacher, the girl friend of prince Felix pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=430&_c=9
-Archduchess Jolande with Archduke Rudolf and Archduchess Helene of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=494&_c=9
-Countess Beatrix Arco (nee Archduchess of Austria) with two of her daughters pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=506&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=502&_c=9
-Lady Brabourne and daughter pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=513&_c=9
-Duke and Duchess of Vendome pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=491&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=490&_c=9
-Duke and Duchess of Braganza pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=515&_c=9
-Duke and Duchess of Parma pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=423&_c=9
-Prince and Princess of Hohenzollern pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=426&_c=9
-Prince Mariano-Hugo Windish-Gratz and wife Archduchess Sophie of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=509&_c=9
-Princess Alexandra Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and husband count Jefferson von Pfeil pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=511&_c=9
-Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein with son Wenzeslaus pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=507&_c=9

Some more links from the same website:
- Hereditary Prince and Princess of Baden with Hereditary Princess Mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil-Trauchburg (nee Duchess of Wurttemberg) pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=569&_c=9
- Prince and Princess of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=566&_c=9
- Prince&Archduke Amedeo with his parents pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=366&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=365&_c=9
- Archdukes Carl-Christian and Marie-Astrid pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=276&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=271&_c=9
- Princes Nikolaus and Margaretha of Liechtenstein pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=273&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=272&_c=9
- Princes Guillaume and Sibilla of Luxembourg with children pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=270&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=268&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=267&_c=9
- Prince Jean of Luxembourg with wife pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=269&_c=9

Amadea, very interesting pics of the lesser known royals, as from Leichtenstein and Austria. I am not impressed with the short skirts worn by some of the girls in the first picture. Very short, not just slightly short, not appropriate for a serious wedding like this one. Some of the other pictures have women in better looks, such as that of Claire Ladamacher with Princess Xenia Gallatzine. I suspect that the women who wore these very short skirts are airheads.

I would assume the bride chose the bride maids dresses and they wore what she wanted. Unfortunately, the bride made a bad choice they weren't great.

It wasn't the bride's choice. I listened to the live Belgian transmission of the wedding, and they explained that the bridesmaids and the young attendants were dressed in Luxembourg's national colors, which are orange and a particular shade of blue.

Thanks to Lux-arazzi Luxembourg I was able to find this site with hundreds of photos of guests, even the ones I hadn't seen still. Unfortunately there are no captions so I will post the link of the guests I recognized, you guys scroll down the pictures and do the same with the ones you recognize ;)

- counts Rodolphe and Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum; archduke Cristophe of Austria and fiancee Adelaide Drape-Frisch pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=471&_c=9
- Prince Napoleon with princess Alix de Ligne; Princesses Maria Anunciata and Maria Astrid of Liechtenstein; Prince Josef of Liechtenstein; Prince Constantin de Nassau pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=473&_c=9
-Prince Wenceslas de Nassau; Archduke Imre of Austria and wife; Archduke Alexander of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=474&_c=9
-Archdukes Alexander and Marie Gabrielle of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=470&_c=9
-Princess Xenia Galitizine with husband Albert Matta and with Claire Lademacher, the girl friend of prince Felix pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=430&_c=9
-Archduchess Jolande with Archduke Rudolf and Archduchess Helene of Austria pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=494&_c=9
-Countess Beatrix Arco (nee Archduchess of Austria) with two of her daughters pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=506&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=502&_c=9
-Lady Brabourne and daughter pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=513&_c=9
-Duke and Duchess of Vendome pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=491&_c=9
pressphoto.lu - Mariage Princier[q]=Mariage+Princier&_i=490&_c=9....

Thank you, Amedea, for taking the trouble to go through all of these photos and mark the noteworthy ones! :flowers:

You can see in 1 part that Maxima wipped away a tear with a big white tissue, W-A looked over and looked like he was saying maxima no crying! At the end, it looked like Maxiam was balling with tears

looooove the bride dress she looked fantastic.
it was beautiful wedding I always like sush big event with alot of royals:D

I so wanted to watch the wedding live, but prior commitments saw the end of it. Still, I managed to watch videos and was it beautiful!
The bride was stunning, the cathedral - magnificent, the event itself ever so touching.

Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding is a serious contender to knock off Victoria and Daniel's from the first spot of my favourite ever wedding ceremonies.

It is late at night and I finally found time to catch up on this wedding. Thank you to all who posted pictures etc. I must say the wedding was wonderful and You could really see how hard Stephanie worked to control her emotions so that she wouldn"t cry. Remembering her Mother must have been traumatic for her. There is nothing like a solemn Catholic wedding. It certainly brought back memories of mine, minus the royal trappings.May they have a long anf happy marriage.

Anyone one know where the full ceremony can be watched online (and not just clips!)

Oh...and anyone else having trouble posting via the app?

Designer Elie Saab, his wife and their son were guests at the wedding:

The Wedding Of Prince Guillaume Of Luxembourg & Stephanie de Lannoy - Official Ceremony - Pictures - Zimbio

I wonder if they were also present during the gala where almost everyone wore Elie Saab.

That is so great!!!! ES performed wonderful work; Stephanie's wedding dress was sublime of the first order and the gala's evening gowns were just lovely. What a kind gesture to invite him and his family to the wedding. :angel:

Anyone one know where the full ceremony can be watched online (and not just clips!)

Oh...and anyone else having trouble posting via the app?

If you look several pages back, someone posted a link to YouTube, where the whole ceremony was available (divided into ten parts, I believe). You can also just type 'Luxembourg Royal Wedding' into the YouTube search bar, and it'll come up. Regarding the posting via app, yes, I'm having issues in that corner. It doesn't let me post unless I quote someone's post. Don't know what's up there.

Well I have to say, Stephanie looked beautiful and radiant through everything. One thing that kind of caught me off guard is how she walks. I cant get it out of my head. Its almost tomboyish or manlyish. You would think that she would have been taught from an early age how to walk like a lady. Im just saying. Other than that she is a lovely young woman and she looks so happy.

Well I have to say, Stephanie looked beautiful and radiant through everything. One thing that kind of caught me off guard is how she walks. I cant get it out of my head. Its almost tomboyish or manlyish. You would think that she would have been taught from an early age how to walk like a lady. Im just saying. Other than that she is a lovely young woman and she looks so happy.

She walks like John Wayne after a long day in the saddle,

Perhaps she is not used to walk in such high heel shoes.

Back
Top Bottom