HGD Henri of Luxembourg and María Teresa Mestre y Batista: February 14, 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always thought that Maria-Theresas' dress was beautiful. I love the whole style of it because it really captured the winter feel.

ravergirl said:
I have always thought that Maria-Theresas' dress was beautiful. I love the whole style of it because it really captured the winter feel.
Couldn't agree more! By th way, what a good looking couple they made, my gosh! One of the best looking royal couples of the last 50 years!

I agree! I can't believe they've been married 25 yrs!

It doesn't seem like that long. Everytime i see a picture of them it makes me smile because you can see just how in love with each other they are!

I would have to agree. IMO, this gown is much more elegant than the Princess of Wales' and Princess Astrid's gowns.

Elsa M. said:
The Royal Weddings Message Board has a few photos scanned from Raymon Reuter's book, which I never saw before:

Royal Weddings Message Board: Most Romantic February wedding: Henri & Maria-Teresa

Honestly, I think her gown looks very nice in some of the better quality photos, especially the official shot.

Thank you for that link! I really enjoyed the pictures, and I do agree the dress looks better in higher-resolution photos. I don't think the fur trim was really all that bad.

I liked her dress. The seams down the front elongated her figure. They really are a very beautiful couple

I always felt that it was an 'unroyal' looking gown. It's not as grand as would be expected from the bride of the heir to the grand duchy. The patterns on the material seem to be made from impressions - very unusual.
However, it seems to have fared well in taking on the 'wear and tear' of that special day as it remains immaculately uncrumpled, at least from the pictures posted here. Other than that, I think that Henri and Maria Teresa are a great couple and he is very devoted to her and have done all in his power to help her adjust to her Royal status.

To me it was a very subdued, elegant, unflashy gown that complimented both MT's personality and also the solemnity of the occasion. She seems to be crazy in love with him even after all these years, which is a great thing in this day and age.;) :flowers:

Yes, it was a simple, ordinary gown and you are right..it suited MT and she would have found it very comfortable.

okay she did wear a tiara, at the thread about her sons wedding there were a question why Tessy did not wear a tiara, i thought that one did not wear one in Luxemburg royal wedding i was wrong

To me it was a very subdued, elegant, unflashy gown that complimented both MT's personality and also the solemnity of the occasion. She seems to be crazy in love with him even after all these years, which is a great thing in this day and age.;) :flowers:

Indeed. I love her gown, I think it's an elegant winter wedding gown. Her hair was perfect and I love her tiara. What made it really most beautiful was the sweetness and innocence on the bride's face...she looked so full of love and joy and she couldn't keep her eyes off the groom. I love weddings like that!

And they are still going strong today, all these years later.

She was very pretty in her wedding day, and in her face a pure and virginal expression. I guess she was still a virgin, as it was still in vogue for latin american girls for the time being. And with the future in-laws opposing the wedding, I do not believe that proud Batista lady would permit her daughter to give in before marriage. I think he was the first european crown prince to dare to marry an unlikely bride.

Sorry to say this, but I hate her wedding dress. I hope it was winter, cuz it looks like one of those Chrismassy type outfits.

Just to show that there are many points of view, I find her dress elegant, simple, and beautiful. It is very well tailored to her body, and the fur trim is elegant without being "too much."

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=609qa.jpgMT's wedding gown reminds me a little bit Josephine-Charlotte's wedding gown.
I hate to be cynical, but I would be surprised if Maria Teresa were emulating her mother-in-law, especially given that Josephine-Charlotte was so unsupportive of her. As you may recall, before her marriage Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium had been deeply in love with a commoner, but she was forced by her father to marry Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. Perhaps in part because she was obliged to make this sacrifice (and if you look at her wedding pictures, you'll see that J-C seemed absent, almost zombie-like), she insisted that her children must make equal marriages. Her attitude seems to have been: "If I had to do it, then you have to do it also."

Josephine-Charlotte would likely have disapproved if the heir to the Grand Duchy -- her dear son Henri -- had married a mere aristocrat (say, a countess) who was not a member of a royal family. So she could certainly not abide his marriage to a commoner... of Latin American descent, no less. Reportedly she was truly unkind to Maria Teresa.

Last edited by a moderator:
At certain angles, these older photos of Maria Teresa remind me a lot of Princess Caroline of Monaco. Their wedding day pictures look a lot a like (Caroline's first wedding is what I'm refering to).

At certain angles, these older photos of Maria Teresa remind me a lot of Princess Caroline of Monaco. Their wedding day pictures look a lot a like (Caroline's first wedding is what I'm refering to).

Yes, you are totally right, RandomlyKeira. I thought what these photos reminded me and then I made out it was look like the wedding of Caroline of Monaco.
All photos are very beautiful.:flowers:

Are there any pictures of the engagement? Or pre-engagement?

The dress is very elegant in its simplicity. Beautiful.

His expression with hands up in the air (on the balcony) is uncanny, I think she gave him an unexpected peck on the cheek.

Nowadays, royal couples often give big kisses right on the mouth --- even on the balcony. How times change.

I always felt that it was an 'unroyal' looking gown. It's not as grand as would be expected from the bride of the heir to the grand duchy.

Yes, it was a simple, ordinary gown

Lossean, in many parts of the world, simplicity often reflects true elegance. What is considered "ordinary" is the need to show off by appearing "grand" or pompous. As the saying goes, "Less is More."

I don't think this is an objectionable dress - the silhouette is very beautiful and would not look out of place today. Although the dress was simple in its design, it seems that the materials used would have been very expensive and of excellent quality, making it a very royal dress. What changes or additions to the gown would make it appear less ordinary? Would those changes or additions have been used in dress design all those years ago?

I liked her dress. The seams down the front elongated her figure. They really are a very beautiful couple

I think she looked very classy, romantic, and elegant - and I loved her hair. She was very understated but princess-like. And the fur trim? It was the middle of winter, so it was very apropos.

Balmain and Chanel

Maria Teresa's bridal gown which I find was very elegant, discreet and sublime[fur and all it was winter and Feb14] was designed especially for her by Pierre Balmain.The gown was classic in conception.It had labour intensive nervir[ a type of standing pleat tuck sewn by hand] on it which is a concept that is no longer done on gowns because it is manually done taking innumerable hours and there are no couturiers showing this anymore.
The then Grand Duchess was in an outfit by Chanel.[jacket and skirt]
Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were there also and it was so cold Princess Grace had on a fur coat jacket.

hmm....just one question....was she pregnant at her wedding? i mean...she looks quite chubby when you compare with other brides on their wedding day

She was not pregnant then, but gave birth to her first child Guillaume on November 11th 1981, nine months (minus 3 days ) after the wedding. A honeymoon baby!:flowers:

She looked like a little spainish princess remains me of princess caroline 1st wedding the skin tones u knw

Does anybody know if Princess Grace of Monaco assisted to this wedding? And have anybody photos of her outfit?

Thanks in advance xx

Does anyone knows where did the civil wedding took place? The religious one took place at the Notre Dame cathedral, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom