Prince Edward Duke of Kent and Miss Katharine Worsley: 8 June 1961

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott

Aristocracy
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
I was wondering if anyone has photos of The Duke of Kent's wedding.Thank you in advance

scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal_F1_11_2b_marriage.jpg
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page541.asp

Thanks for the photos everybody.Princess Alexandra looks really elegant as well as the Duchess of Kent.

Australian said:
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/alexandragreatbritain1936album.htm

this site has pics of the Duchess of Kent's wedding, Princess Alexandra
Thanks Australian. This is actually Alexandra, the sister of the Duke of Kent. It is very hard to find photos of Katherine the Duchess. It really is a shame as she was a beautiful bride. I remember being at York Minister on that day. The fashions were unbelievible. I think the Duchess and Princess Margaret had the simolest dresses of all British Royal Brides of that time.

Thanks for your help
scott

Prince Edward Duke of Kent of Kent and Miss Katherine Worsley Wedding 1961

Excerpt taken from "Two Centuries of Royal Wedding" by Christopher Warwick.

"Princess Marina annonced her son's engagement on 8 March 1961 which was well received by the public at large. The couple were to be married precisely three months later on 8 June at York Minster. During the next few weeks, Princess Marina suggested her own principal wedding designer, John Cavanagh, for her future daughter-in-law's wedding dress.

Once the design had been chosen it was left to Cavanagh to have the material made. A reliable French company set about weaving 237 yards of shimmering white silk gauze enhanced by an attractive pearlized motif, Cavanagh concentrated on the question of concealing details of the design from the eyes and ears of the press at his elegant Mayfair Salon. From his staff of fitters and seamstresses he hanpicked a small team, set aside one workroom on the second floor, blacked out the windows and had the existing door reinforced with steel which was to remain locked at all times.

By the end of April, John Cavanagh had set to work on the bridal gown with its small stand-away collar, tight bodice and diaphanous skirt. Miss Worsely and Princess Marina were worried as to how the fabric would behave when the bride was required to kneel and stand unaided. The designer produced a stack of telephone directories roughly the height of the faldstool on which Katherine would have to kneel. She practiced the movements and all was well. There was another little hurdle, the train was found to drag itself on carpeted floor, and although the nave at York Minster wasn't covered, the sacrarium would be. It was there at the end of the service that the new Duchess of Kent would have to curtsey to the Queen. It was therefore impossible for Katherine to effect the movement gracefully as she wished. The designer again provided the solution, as the bride and bridegroom approached Her Majesty, the young Duchess should effect a half-turn in the Queen's direction, step back into the folds of her gown, thus releasing the tension on her train, and with head slightly bowed, perform her act of homage.

The bride was to have three wedding veils made of white tulle. One would be worn by Katherine's understudy during the wedding rehearsals, another would be worn by the bride at the ceremony itself and the third would be kept at Hovingham Hall as a standby to be worn for the official photographs if need be.

One the wedding day, shortly after two o'clock, the first procession of the day arrived. Lord Mountbatten with his daughters led Crown Princes Harald and Constantine, heirs to the throne of Norway and Greece, along the nave, together with Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark, Princess Irene of The Netherlands, Prince and Princess Alexander of Yugoslavia and Lord and Lady Harewood. A quarter of an hour later, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret arrived along with Mr. Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain, Lady Patricia Ramsay, Princess Sophia of Greece and Don Juan Carlos of Spain. Ten minutes later, Princess Marina and her daughter Alexandra arrived followed by the Queen and Prince Philip.

Headed by Princess Anne there were eight bridesmaids and three page-boys. The girls, dressed in long white organdie "Kate Greenaway" dresses, carried posies of roses and wore rosebuds in their hair.

The bride's face was covered by an extra panel of veiling fastened by diamond pins tucked under her head-dress. This cloud-like addition to her full length veil was designed to be removed easily when the ceremony reached its conclusion. The Groom was resplendent in the ceremonial uniform of his regiment with the dark blue sash of the Grand Cross of the Victorian Order across his chest, waited his brother and best man, Prince Michael.

After the wedding, the Duke and his bride left the sacrarium for the choir of the minster where the marriage registers were signed.

They had their reception on the lawns of Hovingham Hall and later left York for the quite seclusion of the Queen Mother's estate, Birkhall, in Scotland, for the first part of their honeymoon."

Last edited:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 31,167
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 3,857
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,410
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,910
  • 275731A.jpg
    275731A.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 11,876
  • 004101_4.jpg
    004101_4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,756
  • 004001_4.jpg
    004001_4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7,485
  • 001601_4.jpg
    001601_4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,722
  • 003801_4.jpg
    003801_4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,319
  • 003901_4.jpg
    003901_4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,835
Prince Edward Duke of Kent & Katherine Worsley - 1961 (pt 3)

1) The bride leaving for York Minster
2) Kneeling in front of the altar
3) Leaving the church as Man and Wife

Guests
4) The Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles
5) (L-R): Prince Charles, Queen Mother, Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
6) Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
7) Prince Juan Carlos of Spain (R)
8) Princess Anne as a bridesmaid (L)
9) (L-R): Prince Michael, Princess Alexandra and Princess of Marina
10) Lord Louis Mountbatten (in the front)

www.britishpathe.com

Attachments

• 1726_18_60.jpg
    1726_18_60.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 927
  • 1726_19_110.jpg
    1726_19_110.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,156
  • 1726_19_75.jpg
    1726_19_75.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,066
  • 1726_19_140.jpg
    1726_19_140.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1726_19_300.jpg
    1726_19_300.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 1726_19_325.jpg
    1726_19_325.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 994
  • 1726_19_335.jpg
    1726_19_335.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 988
  • 1726_19_355.jpg
    1726_19_355.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 917
  • 1726_19_365.jpg
    1726_19_365.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 1726_19_425.jpg
    1726_19_425.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,157
The Wedding of the Duke of Kent & Katherine Worsley (more!)

ACI Press

2-3) Bridesmaids: Sandra Butter & Princess Anne

Attachments

• prv_aci_hip_0330001551_5mb.jpg
    prv_aci_hip_0330001551_5mb.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,409
  • prv_aci_rue_00094505.jpg
    prv_aci_rue_00094505.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,251
  • prv_aci_rue_00094510.jpg
    prv_aci_rue_00094510.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 10,963
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 3,226
Last edited:
Thank you

Once again I would like to thank you for the wonderful photos you have found of the "Kent" wedding.

Scott

wonder if Fredericks will be this grand

Anyone have a picture of Princess Sophia of Greece at the wedding? They say it was at this event that she and Juan Carlos really hit it off and the rest is history.

Thank you Steven!! these photos are so rare!!

Yes, thank you very much for these photo's, some of which I have never seen before! I think Katherine Worsley was one of the most beautiful brides. :)

you are never supposed to ask for a picture of a native your invited and have one of your dont

^^^^^

What exactly are you saying? Does it have anything to do with the Duke & Duchess of Kent's wedding?

I hate to say this, but Princess Anne's bridesmaid dress makes her look fat. Maybe it's just the cut of the dress, but she was a bit plump in those days. When I was that age (almost 11), I was 4 feet and only 50 pounds. I know, I was small for a going-on-11-year old, but once I started puberty, I grew another foot and my weight doubled over the next three years. When Anne left boarding school at 18, she was tall and slim from all that horseback riding and team sports.

Last edited:
Prince Edward was in his regiment's old ceremonial uniform of scarlet and blue, complete with sword.
Special permission had to be obtained from the War Office for Prince Edward to wear this dress uniform on the occasion of his wedding day.

Newsreel coverage of the wedding

This is one of my favorites to watch again and again. The bride and groom looked radiantly happy and it's easy to see why their marriage has lasted despite the lengthy difficulties they have endured over the years.

As a bonus, you can see Diana's parents, then Viscount and Viscountess Spencer, at the 4:07 mark. Their daughter Jane was a godchild of the Duke of Kent as served as a bridesmaid. Viscountess Spencer would give birth to Diana a month later.

Back
Top Bottom