Crown Princess Beatrix of The Netherlands & Claus von Amsberg: March 10, 1966

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Squidgy said:
Thanks for the great pictures everyone!:)

For those who are interested, the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision has digitally restored some footage from Beatrix & Claus's wedding.

They have also done the same for Juliana, Margriet and Irene's weddings.

They are quite fun to watch - everyone is so young, in love and less "polished" then they are today!

It is all in Dutch of course, but it is pretty easy to figure out what is going on.

The videos can be found at http://www.beeldengeluid.nl/templat...tie&artid=12585

Thanks for the tip Squidy! :)

However, I don't read any Dutch and I was wondering if you might be able to help me navigate this site. Where do I go for the videos exactly? I clicked on something but it seemed to be only a screen cap of Beatrix and Claus' wedding.

Thanks in advance!

Alexandria said:
Thanks for the tip Squidy! :)

However, I don't read any Dutch and I was wondering if you might be able to help me navigate this site. Where do I go for the videos exactly? I clicked on something but it seemed to be only a screen cap of Beatrix and Claus' wedding.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Alexandria. I should have explained things better. :eek:

On the right side of the main page, there is a heading, called "Fragmenten". Under that there are various pictures of Juliana, Beatrix, etc. Within each group you can pick whether you wish to view using Real Player or Windows Media Player. Then just select "breed" or "smal".

Hopefully, that should work. Enjoy!:)

The couple with their parents and attendants

Attachments

• DSCN0961.jpg
    DSCN0961.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 730
Pictures from APL and unknown sources

Attachments

• HU031808.jpg
    HU031808.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 628
  • U1510414.jpg
    U1510414.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 499
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 817
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 941
Lovely black/white pictures without watermark sources unknown

Attachments

• za.jpg
    za.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 519
  • zb.jpg
    zb.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 551
  • zc.jpg
    zc.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 458
  • zd.jpg
    zd.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 495
  • ze.jpg
    ze.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 735
  • zf.jpg
    zf.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 476
  • zg.jpg
    zg.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 509
  • zh.jpg
    zh.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 525
Pictures without watermark DPA

Attachments

• 000201_4a.jpeg
    000201_4a.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 000101_4.jff.jpeg
    000101_4.jff.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 471
  • 000301_4.jff.jpeg
    000301_4.jff.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 002101_4.jff.jpeg
    002101_4.jff.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 626
  • 006801_4.jff.jpeg
    006801_4.jff.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 000201_4.jff.jpeg
    000201_4.jff.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 547
  • 002001_4.jff.jpeg
    002001_4.jff.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 493
More pictures without watermark unknown sources

Attachments

• ya.jpg
    ya.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 581
  • yb.jpg
    yb.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 840
  • yc.jpg
    yc.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 945
  • yd.jpg
    yd.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 986
  • ye.jpg
    ye.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 902
  • yf.jpg
    yf.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 904
  • yg.jpg
    yg.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • yh.jpg
    yh.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 859
I wasn't sure where to post this (because there is already a thread about hearing the royals speak), but I thought it was very appropriate for here since it's the whole Dutch RF speaking ENGLISH at the engagement of Princess Beatrix and Claus. They're SO sweet with each other!!! :eek: I already posted this in the Dutch section, but I thought maybe those who frequent the wedding section might enjoy it too.

Anyhoo, Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and Claus all speak English (Beatrix and Bernhard are flawless).

At the end of the text in the middle section, there is a video from BBC. Just click on the eye. The first video is an interview with the family but it's in Dutch (in case anyone is interested in that too).
http://www.vpro.nl/geschiedenis/and...47367+344742 6

Thank you! It looks such a long time ago!

'Mr A' the interviewing is referring to was, I believe, Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. I like it when Beatrix shows her ring 'all diamonds'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that Prince Richard was never in the picture for Crown Princess Beatrix. They have always been friends and he even served as the distraction from Claus when Beatrix and Claus went skiing together (before their relationship became public). He was their decoy! I'm sure that's where all those silly rumours got started.

I do not know for certain if he or his later brother in law, the Prince of Hesse-Kassel was the decoy (just imagine the uproar the hesse-kassel marriae would have caused, his mother being of the italian RF and his father a staunch Nazi-supporter!).

I have read the story of Claus 'taking away' Richards bride in many books (which doesn't mean anything as they can all be quoting each other & the same false rumours). However I believe Richard and Claus were good friends, as were/are the two families.

Beatrix and Claus

I have a question about their marriage and this might not be the proper place to ask it. However, were they faithful to each other? I ask because I know that Bernhard was not faithful to Juliana and I don't remember if I read that Claus had affairs.

In pictures, it always seems like she adores him!

I don't want to speak evil of the dead but I am curious to know. If someone has posted on this somewhere else on the forum, let me know!

tenngirl said:
I have a question about their marriage and this might not be the proper place to ask it. However, were they faithful to each other? I ask because I know that Bernhard was not faithful to Juliana and I don't remember if I read that Claus had affairs.

In pictures, it always seems like she adores him!

I don't want to speak evil of the dead but I am curious to know. If someone has posted on this somewhere else on the forum, let me know!

I have heard stories of other royals being unfaithful to each other, but I don't think I've ever heard a single story of Claus or Beatrix being unfaithful to each other. I think there were difficulties in their marriage as there are in any marriage, but I don't think infidelity by either of them was a problem.

I think that despite the infidelity by Bernhard Sr. in his marriage to Juliana (and at the time and in those social circles it was the norm), their daughters had faithful marriages. Even though Irene and Christina's marriages ultimately ended in divorce, I don't think the reason for either of the divorces was infidelity or a wandering eye, but other problems.

Thank you for your quick response! I'm glad they had a good marriage, although I'm sure that she really misses him now....

Thanks for the pictures, Catherine! They're so beautiful (as was Beatrix on her wedding day). Everytime I see Claus I just have to sigh a little. He's very much missed here. :(

Thank you for the pictures! They are wonderful! :)

where did you find this picture?
never saw it. she looked really stunning during her wedding days.
thanks for the wonderful photos. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
and 2 more from ANP

praying at their weddingday and checking out their weddingpresents

The couple dancing the night before their wedding

taken from an old version of Vorstenmagazine

Last edited:
:confused: Does anyone know why (then) Crown Princess Margrethe of Danmark didn't attend the wedding of Princess Beatrix?
I heard they had quite a good realtionship this time (Margrethe is even a Godmother of WA). I think her sisters, Benedikte and Anne-Marie were both there.

I think this has been a really cute wedding. It's lovely to see Beatrix smiling after Claus said "yes". ;)
A very very beautiful couple.

Neither Beatrix nor Margrethe were Crown Princess. Margrethe was formally titled Throne-follower because she was heir presumptive. Beatrix seems to have simply Princess Beatrix.

Her_Majesty said:
:confused: Does anyone know why (then) Crown Princess Margrethe of Danmark didn't attend the wedding of Princess Beatrix?
I heard they had quite a good realtionship this time (Margrethe is even a Godmother of WA). I think her sisters, Benedikte and Anne-Marie were both there.

I think this has been a really cute wedding. It's lovely to see Beatrix smiling after Claus said "yes". ;)
A very very beautiful couple.

I think you will find Margrethe was expecting Frederik and only had a month to go before the birth.

Scott

Scott said:
I think you will find Margrethe was expecting Frederik and only had a month to go before the birth.

Scott
oh no that cannot be true.
The wedding took place in April 1966! Margrethe married one year after Beatrix in May 1967! And frederik was born in May 1968.
So she wasn't pregnant this time.
I think it was Beatrix who just gave birth to WA when she attended the wedding of Margrethe and Henry/ Henrik. :)

kelly9480 said:
Neither Beatrix nor Margrethe were Crown Princess. Margrethe was formally titled Throne-follower because she was heir presumptive. Beatrix seems to have simply Princess Beatrix.

I believe the official way was the heiress presumptive, Princess Beatrix. But it was popular to use Crownprincess. These days it is the same. Officially it is never Crownprince Willem-Alexander but The Prince of Oranje or Prince WA, though in magazines, newspapers, daily language people usually use '' crownprince', even on the television news of the public channels.

I heard she was called "supposed successor to the throne". I don't know but to me that sound a bit negative... :rolleyes: Like they still weren't sure that Beatrix would become Queen one day..
Has she ever been called like this or has it something to do with the diputed wedding of Beatrix with Claus?

Her_Majesty said:
I heard she was called "supposed successor to the throne". I don't know but to me that sound a bit negative... :rolleyes: Like they still weren't sure that Beatrix would become Queen one day..
Has she ever been called like this or has it something to do with the diputed wedding of Beatrix with Claus?

True, in dutch it is 'vermoedelijke troonopvolger'. It has nothing to do with Claus, as Willem-Alexander is called this now, and Juliana, Wilhelmina, Alexander, Willem, Willem and Willem were called the same :) and deo volente, Catharina-Amalia will receive the same title.

Back
Top Bottom