Crown Prince Harald of Norway and Sonja Haraldsen 1968

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's not technically a tiara - it's just flowers. She chose not to wear a tiara because she wasn't royalty until after the ceremony. :flowers:

As for the dress, I can take it or leave it. Nothing bad about it, but it's rather plain. What I love about her wedding ensemble is that huge veil!

Pre-wedding portraits (1968)
Harald and Sonja
Harald and Sonja close-up
Sonja close-up
source: IBL

The wedding gown:

Details - collar and sleeves
The gown on display

The flowers Sonja wore in her hair

(scanpix)

The cut and fabric of the gown worn by Dagny Haraldsen somehow quite remind me of the wedding dress...
Dagny Haraldsen

Dagny Haraldsen

Some details about the bride's look:
at this page about the wedding it says

To become Crown Princess of Norway, Miss Sonja Haraldsen designed herself a very simple and simultaneously very elegant wedding dress.
... which royal bride would probably do that nowadays? :D

In line with the tradition of Norwegian royal brides but differently from what was already a tradition in the rest of Europe, Miss Haraldsen did not wear a tiara on her wedding day, having only some discreet flowers on her hair.
So that's why also Ragnhild and Astrid didn't wear a tiara on their wedding days.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Great Pictures of the Heir of Norway and the Lady he loved since years !

Only the Royals wore a tiara. Much better than the Wedding of Princess Margrethe and Prince Henrik, where the Montpezat Ladies had to loan tiaras such as the Wife of the French Minister representing his President.

Hello, thank you very much for all these photos are beautiful. Yesterday I watched the movie, the whole thing I watched it was very fascinating beautifully glued film and their forum is also very interesting thank you

Sonja's hair is still the same. :lol:

...did she put on a tiara just to go out on the balcony?

It is not a tiara, it is the same floral headpiece that she wore during the church ceremony - so no altered veil ;)

I started to look at the Wedding but only after 1 hour Sonja entered the Church with King Olav....
Not a lot of foreign Royals , King Baudouin was alone sitting next to his Aunt Princess Margaretha of Denmark, but I saw Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte wearing her peacock tiara done with her Mothers emeralds and I said to my self for her Nephew 's Wedding Queen Astrid was a bit there.

Back
Top Bottom