Crown Prince Harald of Norway and Sonja Haraldsen 1968

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a questions:
Why didn't they exchange weddingrings like it's done during a traditional wedding??:ermm:
I just found out that they did. from the angelfire special "After pledging love and fidelity to each other, kneeling to receive the blessing and exchanging the rings, the new Crown Princess of Norway curtseyed profoundly to her father-in-law, the King of Norway, and returned with her husband to their seats. " :)

Does anyone know what the circumstances were mentioned here that caused the guest list to be smaller than comparable events?

Does anyone know what the circumstances were mentioned here that caused the guest list to be smaller than comparable events?

As mentioned above by Her_Majesty, as well as in the book about Crown Prince Harald by Christian Borch, the events in Czechoslovakia a few days prior to the wedding, where Soviet forces invaded the country, led to the celebration being downsized. Furthermore, the death of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, second cousin to King Olav, on August 27, also put a damper on the festivities.

Aha! Maybe I should get a better pair of glasses for night time. Thank you for the explanation Norwegianne.

40th Wedding Anniversary

The Royal Couple will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary in 2008.

I don't think there'll be as big celebrations as for the silver wedding in 1993 (because of the big birthday parties of the King and Queen in 2007)...
but maybe there'll be a small celebration or at least some beautiful family pictures at the engagement and wedding day. :rolleyes:

I inherited some old newspapers and magazines from my great-aunt (probably the only one in my family who fueled my interest in royalty) and I thought that it might be interesting to share some of the details from them.

Some points of King Olav's speech (translated):
Dear bridal couple, dear Sonja, dear Harald.
As you're sitting here today, as a couple, as man and wife, I would like to congratulate you with all my heart, and express the wish that you'll get many and light years together. We have been witnesses at your wedding in Oslo Cathedral, we have heard y ou make the promise to live together as man and wife and I am certain we all congratulate you from the bottom of our hearts.

In 1905, when my parents and I came to this country, Prime Minister Christian Michelsen allegedly welcomed them, or us, to Norway with the wish that as the years went, the new royal family should grow together with the Norwegian people and share its sorrows and be the centre focus of the thought of Norway as a realm. I think that some might think that we've gone a bit too far fulfilling the part about being anchored to and grown together with the Norwegian people, nevertheless I am sure that most understand and have expected the development that has led to the two of you being the Crown Princely Couple of Norway.

--

It is not an easy task to belong to the monarchy in a country. It comes with large duties and the monarchy has to follow the modern development. It demands that the heir to the throne gets the same upbringing and education as the rest of the youths in the country; this to give him the advantage in getting to know and be in touch with the youths and the rest of the citizens of the country.

Only on one point the opinions of the demands on how much the monarchy shall be unified with the modern times diverge: on the choice of bride for the heir to the throne

---
I have wanted to say these words to you all day, because I know you will do your outmost to fulfill the duties that are yours by virtue of who you married. I am personally convinced that you [Sonja] will succeed in this task and you and your husband on many occasions will know how to represent Norway in a wise and dignified manner, so you together will be unified with the Norwegian people as my and Harald’s parents have been given the experience of being. If I had doubted this, my resolution to invite you to join this family would have been different.

Bits of Harald's speech:

---
One of my very first obligations as a married man, and it is a dear one as such, is to thank for the bride. That it is a strange moment after all these years, there cannot be a doubt about. Sonja has described herself as an attpåklatt [child born long after his/her siblings] and to not be too polite all the time, I would like to say that I'm very glad for this klatt.

Nine years ago there was an ugly duckling who came into the Haraldsen family. Maybe he wasn't an ugly duckling, because he was particular ugly or especially pretty, but mostly because he was different, mostly because he came with uncertainties. I would like to thank you, Dagny, for the trust you showed me by believing that I through my feelings for your daughter could get her in the end, and that the fact that I was with your daughter wouldn't ruin her life, but that she today is here with me as the crown princess of the country. I don't think that anyone of us believed it could be so then, but during the past year, it has become a reality.

---

I would also like to use the opportunity to thank my dear sisters, Ragnhild and Astrid, for good and happy childhood years and teen years and for their always good support and interest. A special thank I would like to make, on behalf of Sonja and myself, to the magnificent bridal feast that has been arranged for us in a difficult time. Even if it hurt to decline many invitations from people we would have loved to see around the time of our wedding, and which were planned, like the soiree two days ago, I would like to say that with the current circumstances, that we felt that it was the only right thing to do, and we, too, father, thank you for it.

---

And then we're finally back to the bride. It is strange that during these speeches, the main person always comes last. Maybe, Sonja, it is because one can never in words express what one really wants to say, or maybe it is because one in words don't truly want to give words to how one's innermost feelings are. From this, it is actually not necessary to say anything at all - because you, more than anyone else know how I feel, both today here and now, as well as in the past. You, better than anyone else, will also understand what this moment truly means. Your yes in the church marks a whole new phase in our lives, and my yes to you is also a confirmation that I will do my outmost to give you the happiness you definitely deserve.

Thanks for sharing, Norwegianne! It's nice to read what Olav said in his Speech. Especially when one knows that Sonja didn't feel very Welcome in the Family in the beginning, because the King didn't want to meet her until the engagement day....
I think it was a nice gesture that he walked down to the aisle with his new daughter in law.

Last edited:
Who is the bridesmaid in the blue dress with Harald and Sonja, and who are the three little girls?

Who is the bridesmaid in the blue dress with Harald and Sonja, and who are the three little girls?

The bridesmaid in the blue dress is Ian Henriksen.

The three little flowergirls were:
Anita Henriksen
Lis Haraldsen (Sonja's niece)
Ingeborg Lorentzen (Ragnhild's daughter)

:)

Last edited:
Why didn't she have her sister in the wedding? Were they just not that close, since Gry was so much older? I know there's a large age difference.

the video was just perfect!!!!!!!!
Harald was very hansome, Sonia very simple and sweet. Such a beautiful couple!!!

Thanks for the new photos, Her Majesty! Could you please post the photo in your avatar? It's very cute.

Edit: Never mind, I see you've posted it in another thread.

I thought it was sweet that Olav walked her down the church.

Not a fan of her gown.I don't like the high neckline.

A fascinating story-true love conquers all, even for royals! Thanks for sharing this great set of pictures.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Queen Sonja's Gown

This dress is slightly growing on me. I only like the dress; it's of course not one the worst. Some elements of it remind me Maxima's wedding dress and I loved her gown. However, I don't feel the same way with Sonja's. I like that she went for a simple look but, I don't think it's anything special.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom