Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are ther any pictures of little Nickoli during the wedding and does anyone have a lick so I can watch the wedding not just bits.

I was crying when I read it *sob* (where the hell is that crying icon :p ).

Some articles have said that you could tell that Fred and Mary were really in love (the bishop, Fred's cousins etc) but I really didn't think it was all that. Sure I thought they were in love, but not to the extent as that in the speech.

O my gosh, I'm going to read that speech over and over and over again! It's soooooo romantic!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:p

Other people have done reviews. here's another:

Bride: 3 stars. The dress is a bit too busy. The train is a knock out! :wub:
Princess Mathilde: __. :huh:
Princess Madeleine: 2 stars (low for her!)
Princess Alexia: 1 star.
Princess Maxima: 1 star.
Crown princess Victoria: 1 star (really low for her, she should take a look at how HM Queen Elizabeth and HRH Princess Margaret dressed when they were her age - they showed what they had and still looked regal and lovely rather than trampy.)
Alexandra: 2 to 3 stars. Gorgeous in purplish hues yet again! ;)
Anne Marie: 3 stars. Lovely again! :flower:
Countess of Wessex: 1 star.
Queen Beatrix: 1 to 2 stars.
Queen Sofia: 2 to 3 stars. The gray dress and jewels were superb! :flower:
Grand Duchess Marie Theresa: 2 stars. She's had some difficulty finding a style that suits her, but recent pix show she's finding it. Way to go! :flower: :flower:
Marie Chantal: 3 stars. The gown and jewels are spectacular. But it looks trampy. :innocent:
Princess Caroline: 1 star. She's been thrashed on GRE. :shock:
Princess Maxima: 2 stars.
Letizia Ortiz: 3 stars. Wow! Best dressed! She looks great in a gown and so regal. She needs to get out of pants more often! :clap: :clap:
Queen Silvia: __. I've raved about her in the past. This gown was so unlike her! :cry:
Infanta Cristina: 1 star. The green jacket diminished an otherwise splendid gown.
Princess Mette-Marit: __.
Queen Paola: 3 stars. Her gown and wrap were gorgeous!

There's lots of problems assessing a dressed lady from a few photos. I saw many pictures of the bride and thought her gown had no train(!). I also let subjective feelings come in. But hey, this is all about feelings! :heart:

I just want to thank everyone who has posted pictures, speeches etc... unfortunately the coverage I watched last night in Australia wasn't great (I picked the wrong television channel to tape - drat!!) and we didn't get the reception or speeches etc.

The pictures are beautiful, the speeches magnificent (the Bridegroom's has me crying !!) and the thing I like the most... everyone is so happy. It looks like a REAL family wedding with everyone so pleased for the young couple and enjoying themselves. Not too formal, not too standing on protoccol, although I don't doubt there is much there.

It looks as if it was a fun wedding as much as a royal wedding can be fun! :)

Personally I adore Mary and think she can do no wrong (I'm not biased, much!!! LOL) ... I love the dress, the flowes etc etc etc.

THANK YOU again to everyone who has helped me to see so much of this happy event, I truly appreciate it.

trinny
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Did anybody else see Mary throw the bouquet? I wish I knew who caught it. Anyway, right after that she and Frederik got into a car with the cans tied to the back. It was adorable.

It was really nice to see Mary embracing the Queen and Prince Henrik on the balcony after the wedding. Being used to seeing the British weddings, where the Queen stands there practically surrounded by a force field that nobody can penetrate, it was a pleasant change to see a family acting like a family.

Nice pics... thanks very much...

One question: In HRH Crown Princde Haakon wedding, in Oslo we didn't see any non-reigning royal guests (except the Greek ones).
- Why in these wedding we have the Infantes of Portugal and the Crown Princes of Italy, Bulgaria and Serbia?

But where are TM King Mihaï I and Queen Anna of Roumania? They are related to HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark... Queen Anne is daughter of HRH Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, born HRH Princess Margrethe of Denmark... It would be nice to see the Roumanian Royal Family represented in Copenhagen... As well as royals from Jordan, Thailand, Brunei and Morocco... We are expecting the wedding of HRH Crown Prince Felipe of Spain in Madrid to see all these reigning and non-reigning royals together...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by micas@May 14th, 2004 - 6:04 pm
I can't see  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
I lve in Portugal so is every1 guive a lot of importance to Filipe and Letizia wedding and forguet this. I just see a litle in the news.
This is not fair

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
I'm from Portugal and I share your opinion... But you have to see that Spain is most related to Portugal than Denmark... In a republican country TV channels showing a royal wedding from a distant country is not usual, I think... I had to watch this wedding on Euronews, TVE International and in CNN

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 14th, 2004 - 8:44 pm
And the runner up in the fashion department goes to Caroline of Monaco. The black outfit, what was she thinking? Am I conservative in thinking that the old adage of not wearing black (for funerals) or white (to outstage the bride) still should hold true?
It was mentioned in an article about the Spanish wedding:

"protocol in a royal wedding

women's outfits.
what women should wear is specified in the invitation. for a wedding during the morning women should wear short skirt, avoiding large necklines and very short skirts. the ideal mesure of them is underneath the knees or above ankles. there are two forbiden colours: white (because of the bride) and black."

Now that could be because Spain is conservative in its traditions when it comes to royal matters. But I just think wearing black is depressing too for a wedding.

Does anyone know where CP Frederik and CP Mary will be honeymooning? Will they be attending CP Felipe and Letizia's wedding on May 22nd in Spain? I didn't see any of the Jordanian royals on the guest list for Frederik and Mary's wedding. Will Frederik and Mary be attending P Hamzah,s wedding on the 27th.

As it happened in Barcelona, in 1997, the British Royal Family was represented again only by HRH Prince Edward, this time with his wife HRH Sophie Rhys-Jones, Countess of Wessex.
We have to say this was a 'poor' representation of the British Royal House, comparing to other weddings of Crown Princes (like the ones of Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands).

Let's see next Saturday if HM Queen Elizabeth II will be present in La Almudena Cathedral, in Madrid with HRH Crown Prince Charles and HRH Prince William as some media are reporting... We hope so...

Queen Elizabeth never seems to go to other royal weddings or funerals, but other kings and queens turn up at British events. If she goes to the Spanish wedding, it'll look like a slap in the face to the Danes, since they didn't even rate the Prince of Wales turning up, never mind the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Especially since the Spanish royals boycotted the Prince of Wales's wedding, and especially since the Defender of the Protestant faith would be showing up at a Catholic wedding after not showing up at a Protestant one.

I wonder if Tony Blair insisted that the Queen attend the Spanish wedding back when Aznar was still in power, as a way to show solidarity with the other major European country that had supported Bush over Iraq.

What an amazing wedding!!!!
I have watched the wedding three times now and checked nearly every website with pictures of the day, and I am still in awe of how wonderful it all was.
Mary looked absolutely amazing, and Frederick was so in love and happy,his tears at the church & his speech were fantastic.
In my opinion best dressed royal guest was:
1. Letizia
2. Mette mariet
3. Marie Chantal
4. Maxima
Honourable mention to Queen Margarethe she looked lovely.
Thanks to everyone for all the great pictures of the dayand can't wait for next weeks wedding.
Nicole

Originally posted by Elspeth@May 15th, 2004 - 12:40 am
Queen Elizabeth never seems to go to other royal weddings or funerals, but other kings and queens turn up at British events. If she goes to the Spanish wedding, it'll look like a slap in the face to the Danes, since they didn't even rate the Prince of Wales turning up, never mind the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Especially since the Spanish royals boycotted the Prince of Wales's wedding, and especially since the Defender of the Protestant faith would be showing up at a Catholic wedding after not showing up at a Protestant one.

I wonder if Tony Blair insisted that the Queen attend the Spanish wedding back when Aznar was still in power, as a way to show solidarity with the other major European country that had supported Bush over Iraq.
She sent the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester to the wedding of Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath back in 1976. The Duke and Duchess are fine people and he was 9th in the line at the time but considering the recent ties between the Mountbattens and the Bernadottes that was a snub.

Originally posted by helleniki@May 15th, 2004 - 12:23 am
As it happened in Barcelona, in 1997, the British Royal Family was represented again only by HRH Prince Edward, this time with his wife HRH Sophie Rhys-Jones, Countess of Wessex. We have to say this was a 'poor' representation of the British Royal House, comparing to other weddings of Crown Princes (like the ones of Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands).
By the 1997 wedding in Barcelona, I presume that you mean Infanta Cristina's wedding to Inaki Urdangarin? Edward and Sophie were not married at this time; so Sophie could not have accompanied Edward to this wedding.

And I wouldn't say that it was a poor represesntion exactly. Cristina is third in line to the throne, not the future Queen of Spain. Edward, as the fourth child of the Queen of Great Britain was a fair representation, I would say.

An article from Hello, emotional nuptial for Frederik and Mary.

Hello

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 14th, 2004 - 7:22 pm
To cd_1: I don't think anyone from those monarchies found it prudent to travel abroard with the way things are right now. ( I know that the Jordanian royal family is normally present at royal events in Denmark )
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 14th, 2004 - 11:48 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 14th, 2004 - 11:48 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@May 15th, 2004 - 12:23 am
As it happened in Barcelona, in 1997, the British Royal Family was represented again only by HRH Prince Edward, this time with his wife HRH Sophie Rhys-Jones, Countess of Wessex. We have to say this was a 'poor' representation of the British Royal House, comparing to other weddings of Crown Princes (like the ones of Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands).
By the 1997 wedding in Barcelona, I presume that you mean Infanta Cristina's wedding to Inaki Urdangarin? Edward and Sophie were not married at this time; so Sophie could not have accompanied Edward to this wedding.

And I wouldn't say that it was a poor represesntion exactly. Cristina is third in line to the throne, not the future Queen of Spain. Edward, as the fourth child of the Queen of Great Britain was a fair representation, I would say. [/b][/quote]
I know HRH Prince Edward was not married to Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1997...

HRH Infanta Cristina was third in line of succession, but her wedding was attended by several reigning and non-reigning monarchs (Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Jordan, Lesotho, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria and Iran) and Crown Princes (Sweden, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Yugoslavia and Austria) and many, many others... This and HRH Infanta Elena's wedding had more royals than the wedding of the European Crown Princes of Belgium, Norway, the Netherlands and Denmark.

And I said 'poor' representation in relation to the wedding of HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, a heir to the throne, not related to HRH Infanta Cristina wedding.

And in my opinion, HM Queen Elizabeth II send HRH Prince Edward to Barcelona due to the death of Diana, Princess of Wales... HRH Crown Prince Charles was not expected to attend a wedding just one month after his ex-wife death. I think that was the reason and not the fact of HRH Infanta Cristina be third in line of succession by that time.

Originally posted by Dennism+May 14th, 2004 - 11:46 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ May 14th, 2004 - 11:46 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Elspeth@May 15th, 2004 - 12:40 am

She sent the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester to the wedding of Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath back in 1976. The Duke and Duchess are fine people and he was 9th in the line at the time but considering the recent ties between the Mountbattens and the Bernadottes that was a snub. [/b][/quote]
I read in a book HM Queen Elizabeth II send TRH the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester to Stockholm in 1976 because HM King Carl XVI Gustaf was not interested to marry HRH Princess Anne the Princess Royal. The Swedish Royal Family thought they have to join HM the King and HRH the Princess Royal because they feared HM the King chosen a 'commoner' to marry. He did chose Silvia Sommerlath.

In 1966 HM the Queen send HRH Princess Marina, duchess of Kent, HRH Princess Alexandra and her husband Hon. Angus Ogilvy and HRH Prince Michael to the wedding of HRH Crown Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands.

In 1967 HM the Queen send HRH Princess Marina to the wedding of HRH Crown Princess Margrethe II of Denmark. The other European Royal Families was represented at a highest level.

Curiosly, in 1968, HM the Queen send HM Queen-mother Elizabeth to the wedding of HSH Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg to HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark, sister of HRH Crown Princess Margrethe.

And in 1960 HM the Queen send HRH Princess Margaret and Hon. Lord Snowdon to the wedding of HM King Baudoin I of the Belgians to D. Fabiola de Móra y Aragón. It was said HM the Queen send HRH Princess Margaret because in this same year, European royalty boycoted her wedding to a 'commoner'. So it was a kind of 'revenge' from HM the Queen.
And I read she did it also because in 1951 HM King Baudoin I refused to attend HM King George VI funeral in London. HM the King refused to attend the funeral because the protocol forbid him to attend an event abroad if he never made an official visit to this country. So, HM the King send HRH Prince Albert his brother. Many people criticised HM the King of the Belgians because they thought he had to pay a last homage to the King of Great-Britain, a man who helped the Belgians to erradicate the Nazis from their territory. HM King George VI was considered a 'war hero', but HM King Baudouin I prefered to follow the protocol rules...

But to show these things belong to the past, HM Queen Elizabeth II attended in 1993 in Brussels to the funeral of HM King Baudouin I. She and HRH Prince Philipp joined many of the European and world royalty to pay a last homage to a great Monarch (This was also the first time TIM Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan attended a funeral abroad).

;) Hi

Does anybody know if Mary's father, John Donaldson, was awarded any decorations from the Royal Family? He appeared to bve wearing a sash of some type and on his waist coat was a star that is often seen worn by royalty. Did anyone notice these?

Thanks

Shane

May 15, 2004 - The Australian
Written By: Paul Mulvey

....The Hobart-born bride was especially tearful when the congregation sang the hymn Eternal Father which was dedicated to her mother Etta who died in 1997. Hundreds of thousands packed the squares and streets of Copenhagen watching the ceremony on giant TV screens. They let out resounding cheers and waved Danish and Australian flags when Frederik and Mary replied "ja" to Bishop Erik Norman Svendsen in the cathedral.

After the sun poked through the clouds when the couple emerged from the cathedral through a guard of honour, the crowds cheered them on their way to Christian VII's Palace at Amalienborg Square in an open horse-drawn carriage. The romance that has entranced Denmark for more than three years was then sealed with a kiss on the balcony of the palace....

The princess's sisters Patricia and Jane and best friend Amber Petty were bridesmaids and wore dresses in differing shades ranging from red to pink. Jane's daughters Kate, eight, and Erin, six, and Patricia's daughter Maddison, eight, were flower girls dressed in pink, while Frederik's nephew Nikolai and second cousin Richard, both four, were page boys. Frederik's younger brother, Prince Joachim, was his best man and wore the gala uniform of the infantry. After the reception the couple was due to leave for a highly secret honeymoon destination.

Did you know that On May 14, 1962 HRH Princess Sophia of Greece married HRH Prince Juan Carlos de Borbon y Borbon

they are now
HM King Juan Carlos and HM Queen Sofia of Spain

Originally posted by gogm@May 15th, 2004 - 4:07 am

Crown princess Victoria: 1 star (really low for her, she should take a look at how HM Queen Elizabeth and HRH Princess Margaret dressed when they were her age - they showed what they had and still looked regal and lovely rather than trampy.)
trampy? are you sure you're talking about Victoria not Madeleine? :p

Other Than The British Royal Family, The American Media Were Fascinated With The Danish Royal Family

About eight different news stations in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. aired clips of the Danish royal wedding. More media coverage was given to the Danish royal couple than the Norwegian and Dutch. If I remember correctly, only two news stations aired the wedding of the Norwegian Crown Prince and the Dutch Crown Prince. It was BBC World News and German Journal. Well actually, it's three. Last night 20/20 aired a clip of the Norwegian royal wedding.

The Danish Monarchy Official Website

The Bridal Gown:

The bridal gown Miss Mary Donaldson white duchess satin which shines like mother-of-pearl. The gown is made up of long panels that open 10 centimetres from the waist, and are sewn in such a way that between each panel old lace, which is almost 100 years old, can be seen. The lace originates, as does the veil, from nuns in Connaught, Ireland. The luminous mother-of-pearl colour of the satin tones perfectly with the old lace. The sleeves are called ‘Cala–sleeves’ by the designer, Uffe Frank, because they fold around the arms like the Cala lily.

8 metres of the old lace has been used for the gown itself, and 24 metres of duchess satin which is fully-lined with silk organza. 23½ meters of duchess satin has been used for the train, which is 6 metres long measured from the waist. The material has been doubled and stiffened with 15 metres of heavy organza. Additionally, 31 metres of tulle has been used to hold the skirt out at the back. This tulle has been edged and finished with 100 metres of chantilly lace from France.

The Bridal Veil:

The veil is of Irish lace which, with two pieces of lace bordering, a handkerchief and a fan, was a gift to the late Queen Ingrid's mother, Crown Princess Margret of Sweden. She had used the veil and the lace for her wedding in St. Georges Chapel, Windsor on 15 June 1905. Queen Ingrid also used these pieces (the wide and narrow lace on the train) for her own wedding in Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral) in Stockholm on 24 May, 1935. Queen Anne-Marie used the veil and only the narrow lace on her gown for her wedding in Athens on 18 September 1964. Queen Margrethe also used the veil and only the wide lace on her gown for her wedding in Holmens Naval Church on 10 June 1967. Princess Benedikte used the veil and also the wide lace on her gown for her wedding in Fredensborg Place Chapel on 3 February 1968. The veil has since been worn by Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg on 6 June 1998 and by Princess Alexia of Greece, on 9 June 1999.

The Danish Monarchy Official Website

The Designer:

Uffe Frank was trained at the College Arts and Crafts in Copenhagen in 1985 and thereafter studied for a year at the Royal College of Art in London, where he continued his studies to become a designer. Previously he had been apprenticed to the legendary haute-couture designer, Jørgen Bender, who for many years had created and designed the grand gowns for the Danish and Swedish Royal families.
Uffe Frank has also worked for Birger Christensen, and in the fashion houses of Valentino and Giorgio Armani. Today has his own studio in Milan, Italy. The bridal gown was created according to Mary Donaldson’s own ideas and wishes, in close
co-operation with Uffe Frank.

The Tailor:

Birgit Hallstein is 34 years old and is a fully qualified tailor working with the Danish fashion designer Lars Andersen. This is a craft with proud traditions, which Birgit Hallstein continues to follow in her work with the Crown Princess’s bridal gown. Birgit Hallstein has been a fully trained tailor for 13 years and works with all aspects of the process, from sewing and cutting, and from haute couture to theatrical costumes.

The Jewellery:

The bride’s tiara is a gift from Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Prince Consort. The future Crown Princess has had a new pair of earrings made for her wedding. The earrings are made of platinum with brilliant-cut diamonds and South Sea Island pearls. They are hand-made by the jewellery designer, Marianne Dulong.

The Handkerchief:

On her wedding day the bride has chosen to carry a very beautiful lace handkerchief made by the lace-making teacher, Astrid Hansen. The pattern is a well-known Tønder pattern (Tønder is a small town in southwest Jutland where the finest lace is made) called “The great heart of Denmark”. When the engagement was announced on 8 October 2004, Astrid Hansen began her work on the handkerchief. Astrid Hansen worked 6 hours a day. The plan was that the lace should be completed by Easter and on Easter Monday the last needle was set and the lace removed from the pins.

Hummm... Enigmatic pictures, really.

Let me guess? Would Their Majesties talking about a possible wedding of HRH Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and HRH Prince Nikolaos of Greece?

There's no best place to talk about a future wedding than... a wedding!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It would be nice isn't it?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom